PDA

View Full Version : Powdered Paintballs

Bwaites
09-25-2001, 07:18 PM
Hello Everybody,

I saw a paintball recently that I had not seen before, but it was not in the original packaging and the kid didn't know what they were called.

It was black shelled and had a light powder coasting instead of the light mineral oil or vegetable oil coat I am familiar with.

Has anyone else seen these and are they any good?

Thanks, Bill

Whisper
09-25-2001, 08:48 PM
I don't know if this was the brand, but I know that some sheridan balls (Wal Mart sells them) get a weird white powder coating about a week after you open them. They didn't shoot well after they dried out or whatever it was that caused them to have this coating

a_malfunction
09-25-2001, 09:59 PM
I shoot a lot of Diablo and it all has a powdery type coating on it.... no ill effects.

davidb
09-26-2001, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Diablo Rec Sport. Black, with a yellow, egg yolk-esque fill. No, they are not any good. I bought a case of them a while back and will never do so again. Lousy shell, lousy shape, lousy fill. They were about on par with Brass Eagle balls, come to think of it, but with not as many barrel breaks.

Dragoon
09-26-2001, 06:11 AM
davidb

Sounds like you got a bad box. I shoot nothing except Diablo without ever having had a problem. Have any of you ever tried Hellfire? Now that's a paintball!!

Douglas

cphilip
09-26-2001, 07:37 AM
Those were RPS's I believe.

Geezer
09-26-2001, 08:00 AM
I used a couple bags of Diablo that had that white coating. Got them cheap and now I know why. I had nothing but problems. The balls would clog up under the paddles of my hopper, jamming up the normally free flow of balls.

I may be mistaken, but I think the coating is some type of mold or fungus or breakdown of the gelatin shell. I had a pod full of black balls that I had forgotten to take out of my gear bag. When I opened the pod after a week of sitting my bag, the balls had the same white coating... The coating imparts an abrasive finish to the balls, increasing friction between the individual balls and between the balls and hopper feed components.:confused:

davidb
10-01-2001, 09:21 PM
Dragoon, it wasn't a bad box, it was a bad paint. I know that Diablo makes some great paints, but Rec-Sports are not among them. Have you ever used them? Seriously, they are pretty durn bad (although the paintball in question wasn't necessarily Rec-Sport).

Restola
10-01-2001, 09:26 PM
i dont think anyone has yet mentioned PMI/RPS Advantage paint. losts of colors, and the shell is made of starch. it is the BEST paint i have ever shot. nothing shoots straighter.
the BigBall that they sell is made of extra sheets they have laying around, so they are often one color or weird schemes.