PDA

View Full Version : Tourny postions

B.A.M.
03-16-2004, 06:55 PM
I've been playing paintball for about a year and im just about to enter my first tourney. I was wonder if u guys can tell me of what postions are there and what their job is. Also can some one give me some tips and stratiges to help me. Thx

FreakBaller12
03-16-2004, 07:02 PM
you might want to specify what size your team is first;)

B.A.M.
03-16-2004, 07:03 PM
k its a three man team sry

UltimatePaintballer
03-16-2004, 07:35 PM
well from what i learned every man is important, i would say do two mid front guys and a back. that worked the best for us

Fatjon
03-16-2004, 07:39 PM
at the 3 mans ive palyed. We always play wide. If you leave a guy in the center he gets pinched. So we would usually send 2 to the side with the snake or the key bunker. In 3 man you can stay back and sweet spot then leave to your bunker. This is just waht payed off for us last weekend.

Mag89
03-16-2004, 08:06 PM
Try to have 3 players that can play all the positions. Also try to keep your guns up through the entire game, this will help out alot. A good strategy is to play defensive off the break and have all of your players shooting.

lamby
03-16-2004, 08:31 PM
first off, good luck in your first tourney. :) I think you will find it to be a good time!

positions:

back-
the controller of the ship(team) this is the person with the best view of the field. the person that tells the other members of the team what is happening and what needs to get done.
Also in charge of suppression. A normal back player will shoot 2 to 3 times as much paint as anyone else on the field. they shut down lanes and keep the other team tight in thier bunkers so the front guys can move.

Mid-
Your best snap shooters. These are the guys that are doing the "pinching" of the other team. The best explination of this would be the flankers in woods ball. These guys are responsible for moving up the field and playing the best angles possible.

Front-
The fastest most aggressive player on the team is normally here. This person has many roles. the most common is nothing more than staying alive and distracting a oposing team member at just the right time so a mid guy can move to the stratigic bunker that is needed to win the game. (you will understand the importance of thse bunkers when you walk the field. a stratigic bunker is the one that you would say "if someone from the other team got here, we are royally screwed!")
Fronts also are good for getting a person or two out by sneaking in to a position (snakes are good for this) and get a player out that is not paying attention to that angle.

In a 3 man we play 2 front/mids and a single back player. if we need to suppress a game, ie. just not get maxed the game and we make the finals, we might run 3 back guys and run the clock out if needed.

5-man is more complex and the field layout is more important in team setup than 3-man is so if you use 2 front/mids and a back you should do fine.

Just remember in tourneys, if the hit is not blatenly obvious (being gogged), call a paint check- there is a change that even if you were hit it could look like rub and you would be called clean. NEVER EVER EVER NEVER call your self out on a bounce. I dont care how much it hurt (being shot in the junk), or you think that you were out. Your teammates will kill you if you lose the game, or dont make finals because of it.

Hope this helps

03-16-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Mag89
Try to have 3 players that can play all the positions. Also try to keep your guns up through the entire game, this will help out alot. A good strategy is to play defensive off the break and have all of your players shooting.

:p Hes right

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129217 Heres your original thread

The Action Figure
03-16-2004, 09:44 PM
2 back players covering one front man

68magOwner
03-16-2004, 09:44 PM
my team likes to storm up to the 40-50 every once in a while off the break, just to throw people off. We also occasionally do weird things like synchranized (sp) runs, like send a guy up each tae at the same time, usally at least one gets WAY up the field. But, we like to do fun plays liek that, not real big into "having to win" like some teams, i dunno, just have fun.

PS- most teams we play against in 3 man tournies, break out into all 3 back standups, then move up from there

edit- all three guys should lane the same way off the break, to guarentee that you get one guy off the break, that will give you a HUGE advantage in 3 man

Methylphenidate
03-17-2004, 03:20 AM
three man is so fast i love it
if you want to win i suggest u shootem in the face
just saying cus its worked for me in the past everytime we shoot all their players in the face we win the game weird huh

i think lamby did a good job of explaining what different players do i think that your best bet is to run one guy off the break and lane two, and then have one of your laners bump up to a mid bunker right away. this is good because if you lane one guy and run two its real hard for one guy to watch the hole feild this way to two guys are watching and you can relay between what just happened and where everyone is. Also because in three man it is real important you drop one of there guys off the break. and if you can drop two then it almost garuntees victory. (unless you are the klinkers... sorry lamby had to i just couldnt help myself good times though). its little things that you learn over time however that will make you win.

lamby
03-17-2004, 04:59 AM
you shure know how to make a lamby cry :) That was a great game I cant beleive Timmy won that 3 on 1.. I almost had a coranary I was yelling so loud after that game.

Mad props to you guys, our only loss in the tourney.

:D

B.A.M.
03-17-2004, 02:43 PM
thx for your input