PDA

View Full Version : how nessicary are tank covers?

zacbot
03-16-2004, 10:29 PM
well how nessicary are tank covers/

GT
03-16-2004, 10:33 PM
i dont know,
I like alittle cushion bewteen me and the skin of 4500psi...

Mag Master 04
03-16-2004, 10:33 PM
if u have a steel tank then the answer is not very
if u have a fiber wrapped tank then its almost a necessity unless yur playing indoors alot away from metel things (or things harder than yur tank)

zacbot
03-16-2004, 10:34 PM
okay..so i need to get one..i tryed to order a redz one..but it seems actionvilliage didnt think i should..lol..but i was looking at the dye ones, i like to those cuz ive played with one before, its jsut they are 25 bucks...any other suggestions/

tony3
03-16-2004, 10:38 PM
I had a fiber tank for a year and never used a cover once. As long as you don't abuse the tank no harm should come. On my 88/5k I wasn't planning on using a cover, but the guy threw in a nice dye one, so why not use it?

TheDoveDecends
03-16-2004, 10:47 PM
as long as you take care of it.. and be careful not to scratch it up, etc.. you dont need one.

member#10,261
03-16-2004, 10:57 PM
I have a dye ryno cover on my 47/3000 steel tank, kinda a waste f you ask me, but hey the guy gave it to me with the tank...

M

Lohman446
03-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Your dealing wtih something that holds 4500PSI about six inches from your head and can be structurally damaged by being scracthed deeply enough (Not likely). You tell me how important a cover is to you, as for me, mine have had covers since the day they came from Crossfire.

Wolfen
03-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Also, if you have deep enough scratches, you're tank fails the visual part of a rehydro, making you have to buy a new tank. $25 vs. around $200 is too big of a difference for me not to use one, even if it is just for precautionary purposes.

sneakyhacker420
03-16-2004, 11:16 PM
i thank my cover for saving my flatline from destruction the first time i used it

basically the story is that my field has a 'rambo rule' where if you can physically touch the opponent instead of bunkering them or w/e, they are still called out of the game

ok, so this guy comes running around my bunker with the intention of ramboing me, and he basically pushes me over with some good force behind it... much more than an open-hand touch

my flatline whacked the ground damn hard as i was knocked backwards

given that i was playing on a cement floor, if i hadn't of had that cover on there, there would be some damage to the fiber wrapping

so basically, i think they're pretty necessary, and they help to grip your shoulder better (most of them have grip pads on the back)

zacbot
03-16-2004, 11:20 PM
http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/030-9561.html

will fit the cross fire 88/4500 stub crossfire tank right?..right..please tell me im right

Methylphenidate
03-16-2004, 11:38 PM
kinda off the subject a bit but if you get a nitro duck with a tuff skin you are set those things are indistructable we were playing speedball and my freind got pissed as all hell and he just chucks his gun at the ground and there happen to be a massive rock protruding from the ground right where i threw it. the things hits oin the tank and bounces like 5 feet back into the air and it passed hydro just my little nitroduck story

i like to use a tank cover cus otherwise the tank slipps around ono my shoulder

Wynken
03-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by zacbot
http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/030-9561.html

will fit the cross fire 88/4500 stub crossfire tank right?..right..please tell me im right

I've got a 88 dye tank cover on my 88/4500 stubby crossfire. It's a little tighter than other's I've used, but it fits.

As for tank covers in general... I figure it's almost insurance. I spend updwards of $20 on something so that if I take a fall or scratch it pretty hard I don't have to worry about it not passing hydro. Or for that matter, rupturing.

Shane-O-Mac
03-16-2004, 11:59 PM
One Thing to remember on tank covers.

TAKE THEM OFF WHEN FILLING!!!!!!

they retain the heat that your tanks getting from being pressurized to 4500 psi. D.O.T. states, that any cylinder that is subjected to temps (the tank itself, not ambient air) of over 135 degrees, should be destroyed! at chicago nppl, last year, i seen tanks after filling, as hot as 140 degrees! we used a digital pyrometer. Seriously folks, heat is your tanks #1 enemy, other than you. so always remove the cover!
Just a little tip from your friendly neighborhood AA Tech Dude.......

Shane-O

lamby
03-17-2004, 04:49 AM
get the dye one.

They are tough, padded, and have a zipper that makes it much easier to put on and take off.

They are well worth th extra couple of bucks