PDA

View Full Version : F-Mag

Wes Janson
03-16-2004, 11:55 PM
Has anyone ever sucessfully mated a flatline barrel to an automag, and if so, how well did it perform?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any discussion of such an idea after doing a forum search, so I'm posting in hopes someone can enlighten me.

wobbles82
03-17-2004, 12:01 AM
A company named Galactic Systems or something along the lines of that developed a "Z-Body" that put the flatline effect to use. I heard it was ok, but the flatline system just has too many problems, other than that im sure somebody like Doc could easily convert the barrel or something. Look em up on pbreview.com, im sure there company is on there.

Morally0Confused
03-17-2004, 12:59 AM
the prob with the z body was you needed a big bore barrel. and i mean BIG. lapco made a barrel just for the Z body lapco z barrel i think it was called and i think the bore size was .698

Evil1
03-17-2004, 02:56 AM
Can someone post a picture of a z body? I am really interested to see what one looks like.

chairman_mao
03-17-2004, 11:11 AM
I know there is a flatline cocker out and with the ULE bodies being cocker threaded one would be lead to believe you could remove the flatline from this cocker or porcure the barrel by itself and mate it with a ULE body. That's all I have to add

Banshee23
03-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Problem with the flatline cockers is that you can't replace the barrel with a standard one, you have to use the flatline. So I would assume that means it's not normal threading which means you can't use it. What you might be able to do is get one of Doc's cocker/mag thread adaptors, screw in a cocker to A-5 or 98 adaptor, then use a standard flatline from either the A-5 or 98 custom. It sounds like it could work, might be some mounting problems though. It's probably not worth the trouble, the flatline really isn't as great as it sounds.

ezrunner
03-17-2004, 02:59 PM
http://www.parl.clemson.edu/~rclong/gunpics/scaled_dir/sized_zmag_freak.jpg

Chris42050
03-17-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Banshee23
Problem with the flatline cockers is that you can't replace the barrel with a standard one, you have to use the flatline. So I would assume that means it's not normal threading which means you can't use it. What you might be able to do is get one of Doc's cocker/mag thread adaptors, screw in a cocker to A-5 or 98 adaptor, then use a standard flatline from either the A-5 or 98 custom. It sounds like it could work, might be some mounting problems though. It's probably not worth the trouble, the flatline really isn't as great as it sounds.

I have 2 friends with A-5's. One has a flatline one doesn't. The flatline really does work good on this gun. Shoots WAY farther than the non flatline. Definately worth the money and trouble.

Slimm Jimm
03-17-2004, 04:21 PM
The problem I found with my flatline is that the paintball still loses speed. So while it does travel farther, it is also far less likely to break. I found my flatline was more of an intimidation effect than actually practical. It's pretty scary having balls bounce all around until you figure out they won't break on you.

68magOwner
03-17-2004, 04:54 PM
a guy i traded my mag to made/is in the process of fittting a flatline onto a mag. i forget his user name, but hes here on AO, the project didnt seem very cost-effective, because he had to have custom milliing and whatnot, but cool none the less

phantomhitman
03-17-2004, 05:03 PM
i recently played against some flatlines for the first time a couple of weeks back. people would shoot at me, and hit me, but the balls would never break. I got hit 5 or 6 times in one of the games from a "sniper" but not a single ball broke. I actually have a zbody right now, there are fun to play around with to see how bad the backspin cause the balls to curve, but unless you get your hands on one of the rare z barrels then forget it. I have a .692 barrel now that you get a 50-50 chance of working with the backspin correctly. Good luck on your flatline search though :D

Crimson_Turkey
03-17-2004, 09:01 PM
The best thing about the flatline barrel is that it gives you a FLAT LINE for your trajectory, thus the name. I know the balls dont break at long ranges, but at normal range you can point the barrel right at that target.

Then you get good with it and shoot curve balls. Fun

Mag Master 04
03-17-2004, 10:14 PM
the flatline cocker barrel isnt threaded...its a piece that slides into the body and clamps sort of like the tippmann flatline...it will not fit a ULE body

pbzmag
03-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Here's my Z-Body with a 10" .696 CP barrel:
http://server6.uploadit.org/files/pbzmag-PICT0013.JPG

I've been using it since 2000 till I got my Xmag last year. The company who made it stopped producting it because of low sales. Hmmm...looks like I might play with it at the next AO-SoCal meet.

Intellimag
03-17-2004, 10:56 PM
That z-body is beautiful man!

Head knight of Ni
03-17-2004, 11:57 PM
I dont really see the practicality in the flatline

1. Its really ugly on regular guns (like the cocker
model).

2. The ball does travel longer distances due to topspin
but the ball is traveling the same speed therefore
the time it takes to reach a target is ample time
to react. Unless scenario players can remain hidden
in a firefight the sound of a shot will cause a
reaction. Just my opinion though.:p

Evil1
03-18-2004, 02:32 AM
I think that body is cool looking, but I still do not understand how just a big barrel would have the same effect as a flatline barrel. Wouldn't a huge bore like that effect your efficiency alot?

Wes Janson
03-18-2004, 11:43 PM
I've used an A5/flatline, and after I got my mag, my dad uses it to cover me. You don't get bounces off of lenses, and he can put fire into a remarkably small target, from a very long range. What's most important about it is the flat trajectory, because I play in the woods. I don't want a Z-body which may or may not work with some paintballs, needs a new barrel, etc etc etc. I want to see a flatline mounted onto an automag body.

Wes Janson
03-29-2004, 01:22 AM
No one has ever mounted a flatline barrel to a mag?

warbeak2099
03-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Well if you don't want the z-body because it needs a new barrel, then why are you contemplating the flatline? The conversion would probably prevent you from ever using another barrel on your mag. I'd just get a z-body ($200-250) and a Lapco Z barrel ($50-60). They still sell the Z barrels on Lapco's online store. Or, find another barrel of the same bore. The Lapco Z barrel's bore is .697

Polish
03-30-2004, 08:43 PM
A kid I work with put a flatline on his SL68 II. Didnt work. But now he has a freak on it.

The Action Figure
03-30-2004, 09:01 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=212204

heres a pic I found enjoy

synergy
03-30-2004, 11:12 PM
well what ever it is im not getting it:p

The Action Figure
03-31-2004, 09:43 AM
yeah its fugly among other things

Cryer
03-31-2004, 09:45 AM
looks like a gnasty hardon:confused:

mag-hatter
03-31-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Gideon1331
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=212204

heres a pic I found enjoy

that looks like an ork nose.

doesnt even look like the threads are screwed in all the way :|

ShooterJM
03-31-2004, 11:27 AM
Well it looks like someone ran it over with a car, but if it shoots well, who cares.

Don't flatlines restrict your rate of fire to like 8 or under though? I heard that somewhere, any confirmation from someone whose actually used it?

mirthvader
03-31-2004, 12:16 PM
That's the flatline cocker barrel. Hilarious! I saw one on a cocker and spewed pop out my nose.

The Action Figure
03-31-2004, 01:41 PM
its not mine I dont know how it preforms