PDA

View Full Version : renting a large tank to fill nitrogen?

rtpro28
03-17-2004, 10:11 AM
i was wondering what i need to fill nitro when using a large tank (not scuba) or if i should just buy a scuba instead? can rent a large tank for 43.00 a year plus like 25.00 for fill. but what do i need for filling? and is it safe for me to keep it in my garage.(cold)

cphilip
03-17-2004, 10:47 AM
there is a special single outlet HP fill station for these. National carries them. I have not kept up with how much they are going for. last I saw they were like $300. Our Club has one. They are normally used on 6000 psi tanks. And those are not as cheap to fill as you might think. Nor to rent. Your figures are for lower pressure tanks. Like 2800 psi. Much cheaper. Last one we did was almost 80 bucks to fill. We own our own 6K tank though. Some people use the two stage step up fill stations for the lower psi tanks. You can bump up pressure from lower pressure tanks and get 4500 fills. Takes minimum two tanks. Those stations are more complex and costly than this simple one outlet regulator we have. But they give consistent fills of 4500 far longer than a 6000 psi tank with a simple fill reg does.

trains are bad
03-17-2004, 10:54 AM
Some people use the two stage step up fill stations for the lower psi tanks. You can bump up pressure from lower pressure tanks and get 4500 fills. Takes minimum two tanks.

Ok, explain yourself. In order to fill to 4500psi, you're gonna need at least one tank at 4500psi or higher, or a compressor. To two ways about it. I see you can bulk fill from a lower pressure tank and top off, but how can you get higher pressure from 2 lower pressure tanks?

Prezents
03-17-2004, 11:02 AM
The average pressure that you find N2 is 2600psi. I have done this for a bit.

rtpro28
03-17-2004, 11:43 AM
so would it be better for me to just buy a scuba(180.00) but my gas company can't fill those. who do i get to fill that and do they fill those with n2, or can i use something else.(rtpro)

TheTramp
03-17-2004, 11:54 AM
You can get a SCUBA tank that'll take fill just over 3000psi but you'll have to have a dive shop in the area.

The SCUBA tank will not be filled with N2 just good old commpresed air. There is no funtional difference in using N2 vs. commpressed air. Either will be fine for your RTP.

rtpro28
03-17-2004, 11:54 AM
would it be ok to use a fill station that you find on a scuba on one of the bigger tanks, and would it be alright to use a 2600 tank to fill my 3000 tanks for my gun?? and about how many fills could i get before the tank started dropping off?

rtpro28
03-17-2004, 11:56 AM
so the dive shop would have to fill it, do you know how many fills you can get out of a scuba?

TheTramp
03-17-2004, 12:01 PM
basicly, a full SCUBA tank will have enough air to keep two people playing all day. You'll just have to fill you tank after each game unless you're shooting a super efficent gun.

akscubainst
03-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Depends on whether or not your pb cylinder is totally empty or not, what you consider the minimum fill, the outside temperature, how fast you fill your tank and several other factors.

Do a search on this there are several threads where it's been discussed at length. In fact there's one going right now.

Dave

openboater
03-17-2004, 12:34 PM
Your chiropractor would recommend the DOT nitrogen tank, he can make a lot more money off you when (not if) you hurt your back moving that thing around.

Local state trooper would recommend DOT tank cause he can write you tickets for not transporting the tank according to law.

Go find a scuba shop that will fill for paintball. Most will. New tank in Syracuse with card for 10 fills is $149.
at $4/fill thats $109 for tank. And they are easy to sell if you quit paintball.

Don't buy used unless they get tank inspected and stickered first, or else you'll probably pay too much.