PDA

View Full Version : Advice / Opinions on the Spyder Fenix

Vanced
03-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I just wanted a quick opinion from the AO Nation...

Quick Background... I have 2 close friends who I have been playing paintball with for the last 4 years or so. They have both decided to finally upgrade their old tired Spyder Comapcts. One has seen the light and I am building him a nice used Retro Mag... Still collecting parts...

The 2nd and where the question steams from is he is planning on buying a new Spyder Fenix. I have had the arugements with him and well know I know what it is like to talk with me because he is as stubborn about wanting a spyder since his old one hasn't giving him a bit of trouble in years and doesn't want to constantly be tinking like me... all know I do it by choice not becuase my mags need it....

But what I want to know is everyone's opinion on the Spyder Fenix becuase if someone has something positive or negative to say about them. NOTE: Other than they are a Spyder they must suck...

Any good points, bad points, pictures, prticles, or comparisons...

I just trust the majority of AO to give me a strait up no BS answer... that is why most of us shoot mags anyway...

Thank you in advance for your input...

Vanced

deathstalker
03-17-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm about as big a fan of Kingman's products as I am of AGD's. Kingman makes markers that are reliable, fast, and exceptional values. With that said, however, I think the Fenix is overpriced. If he has his heart set on it, tell him to be patient and wait for prices to come down (like they always do). In the meantime, he could pick up a cheap e-frame for his Compact and then sell it when the price is right for a Fenix.

BTW, what "arguments" have you had with him? Just curious what the two of you have discussed.

And be prepared to weed out the answers from the less intelligent folk. Even AO can't escape them.

p8ntball1016
03-17-2004, 04:39 PM
He might as well just keep the gun. Pretty much all spyders are the same thing, just different colors.

03-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Fenix = overpriced. Go with Dragun T.E.S instead.

Dragun T.E.S = 20 bps with eyes!

Vanced
03-17-2004, 04:55 PM
deathstalker,

I have never been the kind of guy to nock someone elses marker no matter what it is or why he is using it... I have been around way to long to do that... I am just happy we all are playing the same game and very happy with kingman for getting a lot of new blood into the game that wouldn't be here otherwise...

They are have some very nice bang for the buck markers... and you are right I don't want this to turn into a ...
"HEY they look like Timmy's... RIP OFF" ... OR...
"It's trigger doesn't feel as nice at my $1000 X-Brand E-Gun"...
"Metric is the devil..."
OR any other less than useful or techincal flames that is why I am asking here instead of some review site...
Yes plenty of flaming goes on here but as a whole we are better than some if not most...

As for the arguments... I'll be honest most if it is useless banter much like the big Mag vs. Cocker arguement...

But most of my arguement stems from Mag has a higher resale, Longer life, and has more options for upgrades, no batteries and less overall maintence for a guy who plays half dozen times a year or so and mainly rec/woods ball...

His is the fact he has often seen me tinkering with my mags Level 10 to dial it or or messing with on/off pins moving valves to and from Micromag boddies and other boddies, & he doesn't want to do that. And the fact that he likes the idea of the modes and full auto option, yeah, yeah, yeah I know they are technically illegal but as I said we CHOOSE to play mainly recball and it is still played for one of the true aspects of the game is to shoot your friends and brag about it later and it is easier to maintain a high rate of fire with them... along with other things ...but mainly just pure brand loyalty of "Hey My old spyder has been very good to me I know the basics of them and how to handle them" ...

Crimson_Turkey
03-17-2004, 08:50 PM
I'd suggest finding a used mag and upgrading that into a monster over time. That said, wait for it... wait for it... Or for a price I could turn that compact into a racegun cocker.

Pstan
03-18-2004, 12:32 AM
The one area I would point to on the Fenix that might be a problem is the VA. This gun, unlike other Spyders, uses their new vert reg and the VA cannot be used with any other aftermarket regulator. If your friend plans on upgrading to a new regulator, I'd suggest getting another model Spyder........that is unless he's willing to buy a reg and VA for that project. I'm thinking the Electra might be a better choice on that front. I'd suggest an Imagine, Jam Bolt, better reg, and Spring Kit......those could be had for around the same price as the Fenix and IMO be a better gun.

I would highly recommend he look in to a JAM Bolt for whatever he gets...........this would greatly reduce the chance of chops in the marker. http://www.apbbolts.com/

P

Head knight of Ni
03-18-2004, 01:22 AM
The fenix is a nice gun but personally I like the Rodeo a little bit more. It takes me back to my TLplus days.

A T.E.S is better but I would try for an AMG LCD if I were in his position. Just get ready to buy an aftermarket barrel.