PDA

View Full Version : Looking at getting a minimag... but can't find out all the info

n3twrkm4n
03-17-2004, 08:28 PM
Well howdy all, this would be my first time posting... I guess I'm in a quandary as far as paintball guns goes.

First a little bit of history:

About a couple months ago I finally got back into paintball and decided on buying a model 98c, however I also purchased a Palmer HP Stabilizer, because I play in the cold. I'm completely happy with the model 98 but feel that my skills are worthy of a little more than just a model 98 after playing paintball for about 4 years. Money I guess is somewhat of a concern, but lately I've also been thinking of purchasing a shotgun (Benelli). Another issue arrises that it takes MASSIVE amounts of time (about 2 months) to get everyone around here together to play paintball. I currently will have probably around $350$ to spend on paintball and/or shotgun. Also I have my dad's shotgun that I have been using and still is fully functional and in great condition so all in all I do not really NEED a new one. BUT it would be nice to have a newer gun. Also I love paintball, even if I have to go shoot trees I enjoy shooting paintball guns. Another issue would be the fact that I ONLY have CO2 available, but I do have a palmer stab, and could buy another one if necessary. To end the history it would be beneficial for everyone to know that I play woodsball and appreciate the small compactness and frankly my m98 w/14" barrel is NOT compact and is hard to maneuver around trees. I also use a remote hose on top of my palmer stab (either on m98 or my (maybe) future minimag)

Debate-ables

How well the minimag works with co2
I will only have the stock barrel on the minimag for a while (until I get more money)

The Question:

Would it be beneficial to

Buy the shotgun (Benelli 12 gauge w/ 3.5" chamber
Buy a minimag, get an expansion chamber for my m98 and switch over the palmer stabilizer to the mini mag
Buy a new barrel for the m98 (smaller) AND still get the shotgun

Budget: $350-$375

I hope that is enough information, please do not turn this into a debate thread, although if it leads to that I only want FACTS about the MINI MAG, not any other gun really. However if you have a legitimate OTHER recommendation I could consider. Sorry if I bored anyone, and thanks in advance.

ezrunner
03-17-2004, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't spend $350 on a shotgun unless it was a Remington 870, you should put more into a quality firearm :)

For the minimag, you can run it on CO2 with the palmer but I wouldn't at all.

Spend the $350 on a $200 crossfire air tank and the extra $150 on paint. Go shoot people ;)

-rob

Creative Mayhem
03-17-2004, 08:34 PM
BAck when I ran my mini on CO2, it ran very well. I had 4-6oz of expansion chamber + the hose(i know, remote? eww:D)
I would recommend the minimag.. You can prolly get a good used minimag off the used forums for well under that price if you look hard(sometimes not so hard) If you do, you will be a little closer to getting that new shotgun or a new barrel for the mini. Hope this helps.

n3twrkm4n
03-17-2004, 08:43 PM
I appreciate the posts but please be aware I live 45 minutes away from a Nitrogen fill place... and am not willing to add to the 'cost' of using nitrogen by using my gas money.

CO2 is only available to me as I stated in my first post. My current gun is an 870 express wingmaster and am looking towards Benelli for Italian engineering and design, plus it fits my long arms with its extended pump stroke, and is a nice gun (I have tested it, amongst other guns as well)
I also looked at the 870 express super magnum (3.5" of course), but it is lighter than the Benelli by 3/4 of a pound, and it makes a difference with large loads.

I too use a remote setup so no worries there... the palmer stabilizer acts as a 12 stage expansion chamber/regulator for co2 and works great.

lew
03-17-2004, 08:46 PM
I would buy the Mini Mag and put the Palmer's Stabilizer on the M98. That way, you wouldn't need a crappy expansion chamber. The reg will do the job of the expansion chamber and regulate the input pressure. Plus, the Stabilizer works really well with CO2.

n3twrkm4n
03-17-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by lew
I would buy the Mini Mag and put the Palmer's Stabilizer on the M98. That way, you wouldn't need a crappy expansion chamber. The reg will do the job of the expansion chamber and regulate the input pressure. Plus, the Stabilizer works really well with CO2.

Well when it comes down to it Tippmann guns can operate on Liquid CO2, just not very gas efficient, I would be more worried about liquid co2 in my mag if I got one so I would assume that the best thing would be is to put the palmer on the mag, and the expansion (just for S*** and giggles) on the m98c to help somewhat with liquid co2...

Creative Mayhem
03-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by n3twrkm4n
I appreciate the posts but please be aware I live 45 minutes away from a Nitrogen fill place... and am not willing to add to the 'cost' of using nitrogen by using my gas money.

You don't have to use nitrogen... air works just as well. Get a scuba tank and fill staion, and fill it yourself.. you can get quite a few fills off one scuba.

n3twrkm4n
03-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Creative Mayhem

You don't have to use nitrogen... air works just as well. Get a scuba tank and fill staion, and fill it yourself.. you can get quite a few fills off one scuba.

There really is no place around here that fills nitrogen up to 3000psi scuba tanks, I have checked... this I promise you. All in all I was thinking of getting that MASSIVE 114ci tank and using that and just having my tank filled every now and then because I normally only shoot a max of 600-800 balls a DAY (6-8 games)

trains are bad
03-17-2004, 09:29 PM
My situation is simlar to yours. I shoot a lp 98c with a drop forward and lapco 7.5" barrel. It is anything but unweildy, it is very comfortable and a woodsball machine. Runs very well on CO2. Better than a mag will. Mag's downfall on CO2 is the high operating pressure.

That's said, you describe your style, and it seems you don't shoot a whole lot or dump large amounts of paint so likely a minimag would run on Co2 just fine for you.

But there is nothing at all wrong with a tippy. I will take a pic of mine.

trains are bad
03-17-2004, 09:42 PM
http://www.jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1387

n3twrkm4n
03-17-2004, 09:43 PM
How do you like that barrel? I was actually thinking on getting that one... I currently have my regulator (palmers) turned down to 500psi on my m98c and it works great!

trains are bad
03-17-2004, 09:50 PM
Love love love it; very accurate. Yeah mine runs around 400 something.

Anyway a minimag on a remote shooting that little paint, CO2 will not be a problem. But if you use it for speedball it will suck.

n3twrkm4n
03-17-2004, 09:55 PM
The thing is it would be nice to get a minimag, but honestly I see now I have no problems with my setup as it is, and I will probably stick with it for a while. Either way my m98 still runs longer than the others when its REALLY cold (20* and less)

Mag Master 04
03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
keep in mind that u cant run level 10 on co2, well u prolly can but its not reccomended

n3twrkm4n
03-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Mag Master 04
keep in mind that u cant run level 10 on co2, well u prolly can but its not reccomended

Thanks, I meant to ask that question too, inevitably I would have to switch to nitro, hopefully when that new shop opens up closer that will become an option.

Creative Mayhem
03-17-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Mag Master 04

you can, and there's no problem with it. LVL10 was designed to work with all mags...

Morally0Confused
03-17-2004, 11:04 PM
you can get a scuba tank
and if its just you a fill a month should be fine

GoatBoy
03-18-2004, 02:57 AM
If you're really not a paint hoser...

Here's an option. Get a mag (classic valve, not RT). Gut the AIR (remove reg seat + piston + spring). Put the stabilizer on the mag and use that to control pressure.

Stabilizers are well known for their ability to deal with CO2.

I've had a mag in this type of configuration for many years now.

People really hate it when I suggest this though. I can see them gathering the town with pitchforks already.

trains are bad
03-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Here's an option. Get a mag (classic valve, not RT). Gut the AIR (remove reg seat + piston + spring). Put the stabilizer on the mag and use that to control pressure

That's what I'm doing with mine. It's more consistent over the chrono. The marker's not working well at the moment though.

http://jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1386&pSZ=600

Janixs
03-18-2004, 03:11 PM
I ran my Mag on CO2 for years without any problems. When I started I was in the same situation as you, only play in the woods with friends. My set up was a 20 oz tank on a remote it worked great! Small, fast and quiet. The problem is not with the gun but with the CO2, as long as you don’t get liquid in the reg it will work fine.

magking
03-18-2004, 06:47 PM
i ran my minimag with co2 i usually wouldnt have any problems with it. But some times the valve would freeze up
mags run better on nitro though ( what dosent)

GoatBoy
03-18-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by trains are bad

That's what I'm doing with mine. It's more consistent over the chrono. The marker's not working well at the moment though.

http://jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1386&pSZ=600

Rube Goldberg!

Hehe. I like it.

TeamNausea
03-18-2004, 10:09 PM
I have to say I'd just pay for nitro......