PDA

View Full Version : "RetroBall", an "old school" paintball convention (the concept begins)

Tyger
03-18-2004, 12:56 AM
I talked to Steve tonight. We pounded out a working idea, and I wanted to know if there would be intrest in this. What we talked about is not as much a tournament as much as it would be a "Convention". What we're thinking of is an "old school" event, paintball the way it was, with enough of the new stuff to keep it interesting.

So what I'm asking is this. Would you attend an event like the following :

Pump guns only all weekend. No semis, double action, or similar. The possible exception to pumps only would be the GZ or Splatmaster, which are plunger action and still require a manual cocking action.

Event begins Thursday night, runs Friday to Sunday night. Entry to the event includes a free case of paint.

It would feature a 15 man tournament in the old style. 12 gram, 45 minute games, the works. If you don't happen to have 14 or so friends who all have pump guns we'd form teams at the event and place you on one.

Unlimited open play and "speedball" at the same time that you can just jump in on at your leisure. Or if you don't want to play the tournament, just play pumps only paintball. Also a trade show would be offered, and some "Stock Class Only" events as well.

All the events would culminate into a "big game" on Sunday afternoon into evening, all the field boundaries dropped and one large format game. Pump guns only, naturally.

We talked about other stuff too, but on the paintball side of things, that's what the concept is. So, what would the interest be in attending this kind of an event in, say, late summer this year?

-Tyger

minimagjim
03-18-2004, 01:03 AM
this sounds like it would be a real cool event. It would really be a great thing to see in contrast to the present day Tourneys out there. Although i dont have a pump at the moment, i would still love to see some pump play. Especially if there are more guys like Tyger out there that can really rock a pump. Only using Tyger as an example since i have seen him play!

If i got a pump id show to play, if not i'd come to watch.

Or even better get some cameras at the event and put it up on the website or make a dvd on it

you could really be on something here...

Chojin Man
03-18-2004, 01:15 AM
You know I have never seen someone play with a pump in person in five or so years that I have played paintball. Sad huh?

I would go to an event like this if it was within driving distance. 10-12 hours driving.

Halliday
03-18-2004, 01:46 AM
Sounds good, but what about the prices? Usually events make money on the paint. How much paint do pumpers go through in a day? 500?

Wolfen
03-18-2004, 01:47 AM
Something like this would make me want to go buy a pump... wait, I already want a pump, so this would just reinforce my wanting of a pump. :D

Which reminds me, what's the best solid pump out there (not to hijack or anything, don't want a whole debate on it, just throw out an idea)

FlameboyC11
03-18-2004, 01:53 AM
I would go, I might even consider flying! It all depends on location, I would guess many people might want to camp as to defer costs because of the lack of prize possibilities. As for the best solid pump, I've heard Phantoms are the best.

Brophog
03-18-2004, 01:59 AM
Great idea. I think we have some real organizers behind this as well. I'd love to see this takeoff.

My biggest question is when and where. I'd love to attend, but money/location is always a factor. I'll definitely do my part to spread the word though.

raehl
03-18-2004, 03:46 AM
So, uhm, what am I gonna do with the half case of paint I havn't shot yet at the end of the event? ;)

- Chris

nerobro
03-18-2004, 04:12 AM
I'm SO in.

Lee
03-18-2004, 06:55 AM
with that amount of lead time, location is a factor for me, but i'm very very interested.

magking1971
03-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Sounds good, count me in!!

Zumina
03-18-2004, 11:57 AM
This sounds awesome! I'll just throw my sniper kit on one of my cockers. Tentative pricing/dates would be helpful.

Zumina
03-18-2004, 11:58 AM
I'd also (if feasible) like to see something similiar for mech semi autos only.

Vendetta
03-18-2004, 02:00 PM
This would be so great. Can we get some large bore paint? Paint must have been larger before because the paint I can get these days rolls out of my Line SI Bushmaster.

rabidchihauhau
03-18-2004, 02:43 PM
tyger - et al

can we move this discussion to the old skool thread to keep everything in one place?

thanks.

go on over there, there's some good new info

Mindflux
03-18-2004, 03:50 PM
Sounds like the star trek conventions, full of greasy haired geeks living in the past.

rabidchihauhau
03-18-2004, 05:56 PM
and what's so bad about that? The HGHGIC (Head Greasy Haired Geek In Charge) is the frontman and major draw for shatnerball - the most successfull non-tournament paintball event ever held AND one of the most successfull pay-per-view airings ever.....

Riot[Z-Grip]
03-18-2004, 06:05 PM
I'd be interested in attending, but the event would have to be fairly close and somewhat affordable. I'd travel as far as say EMR and be willing to pay ~$100 for entry + paint.

-Riot

ClassicMagger
03-18-2004, 07:00 PM
Hey:

Count me in for sure. If you need any help with organizing a big group of pump players etc. just ask me. I know probably a 100 or so I can name across the U.S. Who would want to go.

ClassicMagger

Jackel411
03-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Hell Im in Id even help with the planing..

Tyger I think you should really talk to blue.. if you are unsure Id be happy to for you.. get it in some form of writing though

AGD
03-18-2004, 07:48 PM
AGD will sponsor it! We are in! I can wear my one of a kind Tyger Stripe flight suit.

AGD

Creative Mayhem
03-18-2004, 07:58 PM
DAMN YOU TYGER!!!! I don't have a PUMP!!!

I would sooo be there... sounds awesome.

magmonkey
03-18-2004, 08:04 PM
I am so up for this

must go upstairs and open the footlocker of old school fun

Tyger
03-18-2004, 08:04 PM
There's GOTTA be someone who runs a field with rental pumps they want to unload on players.

Either that or Ebay is gonna be flooded with people searching for pumps.... Yes, let's do this thing.

-Tyger

magmonkey
03-18-2004, 08:10 PM
aci maverics are $64 on paintballgear.com
hey it would get you playing

openboater
03-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Well, I gotta put my PUMP MAG back together now.

I'm in if it's within 8 hour drive of Syracuse NY.

If you don't have a pump, just find somebody with an AUTOCOCKER that ain't workin' (most of them) and buy a pump kit for $25 . borrow the cocker for the weekend and return it in working condition (as a pump).

Tyger
03-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Just for the sake of consistency :

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1355545#postid=1354832

That's the "beginning" of this madness that enslaves us. But I do want to emphasize this one :

Originally posted by rabidchihauhau
We'd like to generate as much participation from players as possible. To start that off, we want the players to help us decide what events to host. We'll take all the suggestions you want to make, put together a list and then ask players who want to attend which of those events they want to play in. The events with attendance will be held.

Our intention is to have the event consist of several different activities, with scheduling such that you will be able to participate in multiple activities.

1. Call for suggestions of activities

2. List so far:

true stock class (rock-n-cock, 12-gram only, tilt-feed only)
modified stock class (stick feeds, direct feeds, autogriggers, 12-gram only)
tournament pump gun (ca allowed, 45-60 min game, large fields)
pump speedball
old timers game (for people who actually played this when it was the only paintball around)
multi-hour big game
open play (pumps only)

team size for any of the above - 5, 7, 10, 12 or 15

Please add to this list.

SO : What events would you like to see hosted? Speak up! Don't be shy! My opinions follow in another post.

-Tyger

SeeK
03-18-2004, 11:25 PM
How about a contest to assemble a marker from pieces similar to weapons reassembly training the military does? It could be a few people at a time or just a best time score.

PGPs, 2 tubes and 1 12 gram. We may need to borrow several of these from some field for 10 man woodsball.

raehl
03-19-2004, 12:51 AM
You put this together, and give me the opportunity to rent a gun on site (because I'm too freaking lazy to take care of it in advance ;)), I'll make time for it.

I'm one of the people who believes the #1 thing we could do to make paintball "marketable" would be to make tournaments stock class.

- Chris

Mok_Star
03-19-2004, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Tyger
SO : What events would you like to see hosted? Speak up! Don't be shy! My opinions follow in another post.

15 man, pure stock class, capture the flag, huge field - a real ref killer =) <---old school

and a exibition game: 30+ age group speedball centerflag - you know we can get the makers of the freedom motorized chair to sponsor it :p <---old farts

the Texas 15 man is almost complete

Texas Heritage - just an idea.....

rabidchihauhau
03-19-2004, 06:31 AM
Tom, yes rabidchihauhau is Steve Davidson. But remember, its THE Rabid Chihauhau, misspellinig and all: many imitators, only one original - :)

Thanks for the support; AGD's initial price of entry is 1 rectangular spring for my six pak.....

Thanks for offering to make an official thread a 'sticky'. Having AGD's visible support will help move this happening along much faster.

I guess this thread is now the official thread.

So far as scheduling is concerned, I have no desire to step on anyone's toes. Its my understanding that we're staying away from the Shatnerball date by going into September, but if not, please let me know. The schedule is awful crowded these days, so its inevitable that we'll overlap with someone, somewhere. I'll take any advice and suggestions on dates, so long as its not too far out, and so long as we have a reasonable chance of decent weather.

I'm working my butt off right now with swag budgets, so that I can then put the sponsorship program together. Several people/groups have already volunteered to help:

Rob Rubin will be making sure that the word gets out to all of the internet communities

Lee (AO*FL) has offered to help in the reffing department

The Gunslingers from EMR have offered 'any help they can give'

Paintball News/Rene Boucher is on board

John Virelli (former Master Blaster) has offered to help and requests to do photojournalism at the event (he used to do that back in the day)

Texas Heritage is putting a team together and has offered to help

I've received several advance sign-ups to my hotmail account.

I need just a little time (like by the end of Monday of this coming week) to finish putting programs together and to get the basics of a website up, flesh out the marketing campaign and finalize (hopefully) the venue.

I want suggestions. I want participation. If nothing else, I want players to come away from this event being able to say that they had more to do with making it happen than any other event they've ever attended.

Thanks everybody - this level of enthusiasm and participation will help make this thing one of the best events ever.

rabidchihauhau
03-19-2004, 07:40 AM
the following urls have been registered for use by us:

www.retroball.com
www.retroball.org
www.retroball.info

we'll have one main site with the others referring to it: in future, if an org pops up, the dot org will be for its use, the dot com will be for the event(s) itself and the dot info will be for forums, chat and the like.

In the interest of transparency, the registration cost about 45 bucks and has been registered to Rabid Chihauhau Promotions, a dba of Rabid Chihauhau Publications (which is the company that I do all my writing under and which published the Maxing book multi-years ago...)

Progress. Its a wonderful thing.

GT
03-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Quick Q for us gun whoring folks..... I want to build a pump, however I need to know if the "RT" pumps are allowed? :D

Machine
03-19-2004, 08:09 AM
Hey there Tyger How are things. Some of us guys up in Canada would probably be interested if it were at EMR or PBLI. We are having a real Pump craze here at our local fields. The whole club is either Snipers or Phantoms.

rabidchihauhau
03-19-2004, 08:16 AM
To our Canadian brethern: location has not been finalized, but we'll let you know as soon as possible.

To the person asking about RT pumps - I presume you mean 'autotriggers'? (We will not allow any paintball nu-speak to tarnish old skool play :) )

Rules on equipment have also not been finalized. We're going to try and accomodate as many different styles as possible. Autotriggers would not be allowed under a stock class rule set, but would be allowed under a modified stock class rule set.

No matter how you slice it though, I'm sure everyone attending would be very interested in seeing your creation!

rabidchihauhau
03-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Everyone, lets get started right now: I want to hear what everyone thinks about the paint being supplied by answering two questions:

first - do you want one brand available or multiple brands available? One brand makes it easier to obtain a sponsor who will provide significant support, multiple brands gives us the opportunity to use the paints we used back in the day

second - the plan is to include paint with the entry fee. I think in general, 1 case per player will be sufficient - considering that players will be doing multiple events (a competition, open play, big game, for example): back in 15 player pump days, the average paint consumption was about 550 rounds per player per game. That would translate into 4 games on one case...(thus giving rise to the case-and-a-half usage per player for preliminary play). Others have suggested half a case per player, and it would definately be a mistake to go beyond 1 case, I think. So let me know, half a case or a case included with entry...?

Lee
03-19-2004, 09:22 AM
i think full case. alot of people will want to test shoot other peoples markers.
tuning and chronographing will eat into a case as well.

Brophog
03-19-2004, 10:54 AM
My feeling on paint is to let people buy it, not include it in a fee. Give as much flexibility as possible.

I've used pumps and pumps only for a long time now. I know personally that my paint consumption can deviate a considerable amount.

As far as paint brands, one of the things we must remember is the paint must be somewhat on the large side. Several of the companies today make smaller paint than what most of our pumps will require. Remember, most pumps have no such thing as a detent, so they rely on well fitting paint to prevent rollouts.

Vendetta
03-19-2004, 10:57 AM
As far as paint brands, one of the things we must remember is the paint must be somewhat on the large side. Several of the companies today make smaller paint than what most of our pumps will require. Remember, most pumps have no such thing as a detent, so they rely on well fitting paint to prevent rollouts.

Exactly!

Machine
03-19-2004, 11:44 AM
http://www.canadiancontingent.com/calendars/events/photos/cc01/pics/001.jpg

As far as Paint is Concerned there should be only one type...field paint only. remember that this is where the host field makes to most money. Having two different types will never satisfy everybody anyway. EMR uses "Blues" Blue Paint anyway. Diablo Blaze I think. when the sport started and people bought paint, there was not too much selection.
I will be happy as long as we don't have to pay those prices again. 25Cents/ball...ouch.

If you noticed this picture was from EMR inside the Fall Castle (sunday stock and Pump Play)with the Paintball Marshels.

ClassicMagger
03-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Hey:

Well, if I am given plenty warning I can probably bring 25 or so pump guns at least for others if they arent TOOO picky. They wouldnt be cruddy either. Mostly phantoms, PMI's, Sterling or two, Bushmasters, and some other odds and ends. Just let me know.

On the Paint issue. One brand of paint is fine with me. Just make it Large bore and good. Nothing worse than CHOPPING in a PUMP.

On the types of play. I would think lets get as many of the OLD types. The 15 man capture the flag. Defend and Conquer. Or the best one yet. Which this one should be done. Have a big field. 007's and 8 rounds apiece and your only form of movement is Crawling. All the other things that we cherich most. But allow regular pump play to get as many people out as possible. Nothing worse than having a big game with no people.

ClassicMagger

ogre55
03-19-2004, 12:41 PM
This sounds like a great event and I will do all I can to be there with as many of my pump totin' teammates as will come.

On the question of autotriggering and stock class: autotrgger should be allowed. While I know that strictly SC pumps as not allowed to have autotrigger, the majority of stock class pumps are SC phantoms which are capable of autotrigger. However, as long as you have horizontal feed (i.e. rock and cock) autotrigger is still a none issue.

Not allowing autotrigger would keep quite a few stock class markers out of the stock events.

Just my 2 cents.

Ogre

rabidchihauhau
03-19-2004, 01:57 PM
OK!!!

All suggestions are being honored for their intent and all are being taken seriously.

I will, from time to time, offer information and commentary on the suggestions as different needs come to light so that your suggestions may be focused and can take the information at hand into account (things are developing quickly).

'Field paint only' is basically the way its going to be - not BYOP - but this is not going to be a case of a 'local field hosting a few pump players'; this is going to be an EVENT. There will be sponsors, classes, discussions, dinners, play, story-telling, contests and etc.

Now I'm going to quote Charlie Holton (in a humourously intended aside): "Son, I have socks that have been playing longer than you."

Not directed at anyone in particular, but I've been amused by the 'needs to be big bore' commentary. Hey - I CRIED when the old formula nelson was no longer available and believe you me, you won't find a bigger, heavier, thicker-fill ball anywhere.

Most manufacturers make a 'big bore' brand these days. In asking the question in regards to paint brands, I was trying to find some direction in the approach that I make to the paint sponsor(s).

In all likelihood, it will be a single brand of paint, and I will make sure that it is 68 caliber, not 63.....

Brophog
03-19-2004, 02:27 PM
I just wanted to point out that unique paint size requirements with pumps. Other than that, the paint isnt as big of a factor because I think you'll make a great effort to give us a quality product.

ClassicMagger
03-19-2004, 03:06 PM
NO 62 Caliber you are saying or even 40 caliber. I guess that rules out a couple of my babies.

Whatever works bud. Nelson might be nice just to say Original Paintballs for Original Players or something.

But no worries just let us know when it is happening.

ClassicMagger

rabidchihauhau
03-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Braphog, classicmagger;

I know you were just being thorough, and caliber size is a legitimate issue to raise.

I have no problem with 62 caliber - what I was mentioning is that the intent was '68' - but some 68 caliber today is actually 63...

If people want to play and have 60 caliber paint - let me know

RenagadeOfFunk
03-19-2004, 05:56 PM
i would go but then again i have had to many bad experiences with 12 gram and co2 all together...icky icky co2...

Furby
03-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Just to repeat what I've said in the 'other' thread...

I've been speaking with Mr. Davidson as well. I'll help out any way I can by publishing press releases, speaking about this idea on the show, and whatever else I'm able to do.

magmonkey
03-19-2004, 08:51 PM
kind of off topic but a funny story

I went to a local shop today to chack on some parts I had on order, A kid walked in behind me I started talking to the store owner about my Parts and the kid rudely cuts into our conversation by shouting do you want to buy a crappy pump gun..... the store owner asked what he had. the kid pulled out a phantom and said that he now has a pt extreme and it runs circles around this pice of junk and he just wants to get rid of it

I said I would take if for $40
the kid took my money and walked away smiling thinking I was stupid for buying it

http://www.flagpull.com/destructive2k4/DSCN1265.JPG

I guess he got the better of me :)

Furby
03-19-2004, 08:53 PM
!!!

How come I never run into deals like that?!

Lee
03-19-2004, 08:53 PM
it's official: i hate you.

paint magnet
03-19-2004, 08:59 PM
Magmonkey -nice Phantom, you got a sweet deal :)

Tyger- might I suggest a few rules?

I'd opt for 2 different classes:

Pure stock class - self-explanitory, rock-n-cock, 12 grams, no check valves or autotriggers, paint capacity per marker is 15 or 20 rounds.

Pump - direct feed, constant air, double-action markers (the pulling of the trigger is essentially cocking the marker, and besides, you can shoot an autotriggered Phantom just as fast as many d/a guns) Constant air is good because anyone flying in cannot carry pressurized canisters (12 grams) on the plane or send them through the mail to the location. Also it will be more affordable and offer more people a chance to play. Of course, stock class players will be able to play in this division as well if they choose to.

Just my .02, I'd love to see this happen. ;)

Burphel
03-19-2004, 09:21 PM
2 little bits.

1- All the people that are pimping EMR. Have you even looked at the EMR schedule? They have a pump-only weekend organized August 7-8 that will have nearly the same schedule as this one organized by AM,SCP and the Marshals.

I'll be the first to say that EMR kicks ***, but are we really spreading the love of pump play if the only place you organize large events is back east and you repeatedly get the Marshals, CanCon and a handful of random eastern pumpers to show? I'm not saying hold the event in California, but how about someplace near Chicago or one of the airline hubs so people who want to fly in from the left coast don't have to pay an arm and a leg?

2- Please not the weekend of 9/18-19. I'm generalling my first scenario game that weekend. I'm just one guy, but I was rather hoping to invite my fellow pumpers with a travel budget to make it out to Reno that weekend to help me out.

Evil Preacher
03-19-2004, 10:03 PM
I agree with Burphel,

If you want to really make this big, put it in the middle of the country, near a major airport hub. For some of us on the West Coast it is like $440-$500 to just fly in. Not counting rentals and such.

I just have to say, to bad my Duck and Buzzard are framed behind glass.

SeeK
03-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by gtrsi
Quick Q for us gun whoring folks..... I want to build a pump, however I need to know if the "RT" pumps are allowed? :D

If pneumatic-assist pumps are allowed then this won't be a problem. I believe the Pump Mag with an RT valve would qualify as one of the earliest assisted pumps. Tyger would know more but the earliest example would be at Skyball 2 or 3 when Shives decided to drop his RT valve into his pump Mag.

PaintballChannel
03-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Can we use Splatmasters? :D

I'll have to see if I can dig up my Traccer.

tony3
03-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Well, if this is in the chicago land area, then I'll be out there....with my blade....

Tyger
03-20-2004, 06:14 AM
I'll stick my neck out.

If the players in and around the Chicago area WANT one, I'll organise a warm-up pumps only event in the Chicagoland area. Tattoo has his birthday coming up at month's end, but I think we can do something in mid-April. It will NOT be as formal as what "Retroball" is, but it would be a good warm-up for it. If we can get 30 players, we can hold a few 15 on 15 games to "re-discover" the format.

Oh, and the EMR pump weekend? IF I can make it, I'll be there too. It's not about "Our event is better than your event." Let's face it, pump play is it's own animal. And if we the players can say "Yes, we will support this style of play", we can change the way the game is marketed. I'm all for supporting pump play.

I love the e-mag, don't get me wrong. But you lose your roots, the whole tree suffers.

-Tyger

rabidchihauhau
03-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Tyger,

good post. In fact, the folks who are hosting the EMR game have offered their support for Retroball and are helping to organize it - so they themselves do not see any conflict or problem.

We have tentatively accepted organizers for the states of Texas and Pennsylvania, Florida, Wisconsin, Illinois and possibly Ohio.

For now I have asked Tyger to serve as Minister of Information and to make sure that all of the websites and forums that have the least interest in Retroball are kept informed and issued press releases and etc as we have them.

Since this is a short time frame effort, we need to use all of our resources in order to get the word out as quickly as possible. Starting next week I will have a flyer prepared and business cards prepared.

I personally have had good results working with volunteer networks to get things done, but we can't afford time wasted with people who offer to help and then do nothing, so the plan is this: those who volunteer to distribute the flyers & etc in their local area (fields and stores) will be given a short time frame to do so and will be asked to supply contact information back to me within that time frame. We won't sanction anyone who doesn't follow thru - in fact, it won't be public at all, but we'll know they didn't and be able to quickly more on to the next person in that area.

The flyer will also be available as a reproducible PDF file (save on shipping paper) for anyone who wants to make copies and distribute.

Later on today I will be announcing the dates and location of the event.

Monday evening I will be finishing the participation program and beginning to get it out to potential sponsors.

I also expect that the website, in rough form, will be up by Monday/Tuesday.

I have also personally been contacting many PB old skoolers/celebs and am looking for others.

rabidchihauhau
03-20-2004, 06:35 AM
I have never been one to waste time on reinventing the wheel.

Once we know what format(s) the majority of people want, we'll be adopting the appropriate rules and asking for assistance and participation from any and all organizations that may be supporting that style of play: if stock class is what folks want, we'll go to the stock class org and use their rules and equipment standard.

We do not want to suggest any one format right now because we REALLY want to hear what players are looking for. I'm getting a LOT of responses for 15 player tournament ball, and a smaller number for stock or modified stock so far.

Scott Hudnall
03-20-2004, 09:03 AM
I am sooooo looking forward to this. Location will be the determining factor for me attending. I don't mind traveling a state or two away for a weekend like this, however. Sounds very cool.....very cool indeed.

When I first started playing tournaments (way back in the day), it was about half and half....pump and semi's. One player on our team had an automag.......we thought he ruled the world.......and he certainly ruled the field in terms of firepower in those days. Ahhhh....what fun.....

Let's see....I've still got my old Brass Eagle King Cobra, my 12 gr PMI-1 with 10 round horizontal feed, and an old old autococker which I'm in the midst of turning into a sniper pump (it's still got the old square back block....LOL). So, the timing is great for me.

I love pump play and was sorry to see it get taken over by cheap semi's at our local fields (including the field I owned/operated for 7 years...PAINTBALL INDIANA 62-SPLAT).

:cool:

spantol
03-20-2004, 10:30 AM
Ooh, count me in.

I'll stick my neck out.

If the players in and around the Chicago area WANT one, I'll organise a warm-up pumps only event in the Chicagoland area. Tattoo has his birthday coming up at month's end, but I think we can do something in mid-April. It will NOT be as formal as what "Retroball" is, but it would be a good warm-up for it. If we can get 30 players, we can hold a few 15 on 15 games to "re-discover" the format.

Brophog
03-20-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm going to several scenario games in the next few months. I've already contacted people that I know actively play pump or have expressed interest to do so in the past.

Scenarios are great because even if they don't use a pump, a lot of those guys/gals are old enough that they DID use one and likely still own it. If you can get this information to those kinds of people, its very worthwhile.

So, I'll be looking forward to seeing that flyer PDF file posted. I'll make sure to make several copies and hand them out to people at all the events I go to. Just look at AO in the last year and how many people we've drummed out of the woodwork.

Burphel
03-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Sorry if I insinuated any sort of competition between this event and EMR's pump weekend. I fully realize that it's an example of two groups with similar goals and methods. Hell, I'd have a hard time believing Blue wouldn't help promote this event in addition to his. My point was that it would be rather redundant to have two major pump events at the same venue one month apart.

rabidchihauhau
03-20-2004, 11:59 AM
You're right - two events one month apart at the same venue is too much - which is why we won't be at the same venue... (lol)

I'm only waiting on the final review of the site contract to announce the location and the dates - its finalized - for better or worse. As usual, some people will be happy with it and some won't be. I apologize in advance, but I am operating under a very short time-frame here and needed to go with the first good opportunity that presented itself.

As we can all see, the announcement of this event is generating a lot of enthusiasm and interest across the country. It looks like Tyger is already going to organize a smaller event in his locale, and I have no doubt that others will be doing the same.

If you all stay in touch, we might even be able to offer a free entry to Retroball at each of those satellite events...

I've sensed some emotions in posts that concern me and feel a certain degree of responsibility for a little of it, so bear with me and read the following:

I am genuinely appreciative of ANY contribution, criticism, suggestion or comment regarding this event. This is all about participation and any is better than none.

I offer commentary back in the hopes of maintaining focus and to prevent things from going down a wrong track (if such a thing were happening, which hasn't so far).

I also have what Jerry Braun once described as a 'very acerbic sense of humor' (he claimed to enjoy it at the time). My return comments are not directed at anyone personally, nor is anything I've said meant to be a put-down or to diminsh the contribution. If you feel insulted by something I've said - let me know - because it certainly wasn't intentional. Just try and find the humor in it; no matter how obscure, its there...

rabidchihauhau
03-20-2004, 12:03 PM
I already have one artist who has volunteered to work on the retroball logo and is also doing some ad artwork; the style will be water color and 50's retro (and earlier pulp magazine retro).

Once approved, the artwork will be brought to the event and either awarded as prizes or raffled off, with a portion of the raffle going to an appropriate charity.

I need more artists though - more than one logo is never enough...

I'm also still looking for a webmaster...

Scott Hudnall
03-20-2004, 02:20 PM
rabidchihuahua --- on behalf of all the other AO's out there....

WE LOVE YOU, MAN!!!!!

wolverine85929
03-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Will there be 10 rnd tubes and caps avalible at the event? I have not played stock in so long and do not have any tubes any more.

Lee
03-20-2004, 04:38 PM
steve: any word on refs yet? i've had no contacts.

how about this for part of the ref package (for starters)?:
free entry for one days play, paint at wholesale, free air for the day of play. will need to figure how many days need to be worked to earn the benefit.
i know i like to ref, but really want to play a day too.

rabidchihauhau
03-20-2004, 05:17 PM
to those who have expressed their love for me - thank you.

I will, however, be getting married later on this year, so I'm kinda spoken for - unless the missus gives permission for some recreational activity - and even then, I'm not so sure.......

Lee - I too have not yet received any inquiries regarding refs.

At other events I have run, I typically provide crash space and provide one meal per day for officiating staff. I also try to make sure that there is some form of compensation - monetary, paint, free play, etc. If I had my druthers, referees would be paying ME for the priviledge - but I think that's a bit too much to expect...

I am investigating the possibility of using the locals at this time - but will always be happy to work with anyone who wants to volunteer to do the most difficult job on the planet.

So far as ten round tubes are concerned - as soon as I can find the phone number for the mfg, I'll be ordering in a bunch - probably ten thousan.

Later all

rabidchihauhau
03-20-2004, 06:48 PM
Talk about karma!

I just had a guy walk into the Pro-Team showroom and give me a splatmaster; he last played in 83 and this thing has been in the closet ever since. Its in PRISTINE condition.

wow

Tyger
03-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Steve? I think that was an overshare. :p

If Steve can't get 10 round tubes, I know several online stores that have them. I bought 300 for less than $25 for Castle 16.

-Tyger

Meph
03-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Guys, I'm orgainzing the NY pump tournament this May. And if you can get some flyer up at least on a pdf. I'll print them out and hang some up at the event, to promote this to all the teams in attendance. As well as all other players who aren't in the tournament itself.

I'm all for this. Location isn't too big of a deal, airplane and rental car do lot of good to save time! Just costly. So I better start saving now.

I think that's a good idea though, anywhere a few miles west of the East Coast. I mean personally I love EMR for all the great reasons anybody can mention. But also I'm only 1 1/2 hours north, so location for me is great. But I'm also a sharing person, not greedy. Wouldn't be prudent, not gonna dewit, Read my lips never ever ever never ever never never ever! (gotta love 90's SNL!)

But definately at least Chicago land. Hells Survivor Michigan land maybe. Or even possibly Oklahoma, use the D-Day land! Can't get more central than there, man! Just somewhere not East Coast. I'd rather travel a longer distance in order to spread this pump-game around, to keep it growing and the overall betterment of pump play.

For this entire paint issue. Saying "get big bore" well last I checked manufacturers made many different kinds of paint, don't they? I mean PMI has Big Ball and Evil and Marbs... all different sizes. You can have one single manufacturer, and still have big bore AND medium or small bore paints.
I mean as many fixed-barrel markers that'll be in attendance, I'm sure there'll be just as many if not more interchangable barreled markers in attendance who use medium/small bore paint rather than large. So instead of getting 1 type of Draxxus or PMI, get a couple types of them. To suit everybody.

FPO obviously, but for a 45 dollar entry. I'd have people buy their paint after that. Not included. If we're really talking huge event, you need to make enough money to fund the event. And paint is one major contributor. It doesn't have to be the ONLY one, but it does help a lot. As long as it's fair prices, not this 100 a case for garbage bull that places like Skirmish USA pull. But I could see BigBall and Blaze at 55-60 a case, Marbs at 70 a case, Evil/Hellfire at 80-85 a case. Or something along these lines.

If you guys want any more help on anything, I'll be glad to offer my services. Promotion, organiztion, if rules need to be made up, what have you.

Mike Smith
03-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Magmonkey.... You're evil.....:p

Tyger & Steve:
How about Saturday, September 4? In Joliet? Just prior to Shatnerball III?

Mok, is there room for me on the 15 man?

Folks, EMR is a bear to get to from Texas. 30 hour drive or a flight to Cleveland and Syracuse and a drive down, or a flight to Philadelphia and a drive up, or a train trip to Chicago then Syracuse...
Joliet is a more central location.

rabidchihauhau
03-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Hey, I like the idea of tying it in with Shatnerball - but that wouldn't be something for this year, it would be something to work on for next year.

Brophog
03-22-2004, 08:43 AM
Steve, let us know when some flyers will be available. A printable version of any kind will be great and allow me to take them with me to our events this year. I always play pump, which attracts a lot of attention to myself, and I'd like to use that attention to atleast spread the word of this event.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-22-2004, 10:09 AM
Well tyger, you know i'll definately attend! I gots to show off my ridiculously upgraded ranger.

...anyone wanna give me a ride?

rabidchihauhau
03-22-2004, 10:34 AM
RETROBALL ONE will be held at

SKIRMISH USA

In the Poconos on

SEPTEMBER 24th thru SEPTEMBER 26TH

Paul Fogel (owner) has generously made his site available and will be providing excellent support and services for those attending.

I am currently working on hotels and paint.

Air will be an incredible 'all weekend air' for ten dollars - and we'll figure out how to do this for 12 grams as well - although due to cleanup considerations, we're going to try and limit 12 gram only play to one or two fields.

www.retroball.com should be up tonite

the PDF downloadable flyer is being put together now; I'll email those who've requested it and it will be up on the site.

Paintball History

Skirmish USA is an excellent venue for Retroball; it was the first paintball field in the country to host a national open class, 15 player paintball tournament, back in 1984. All previous tournaments had been NSG (restricted entry) events held at franchise fields around the country.

Skirmish was one of the fields that pioneered the use of Benjamin Sheridan pump guns (PGPs), introduced RP Scherer paints (from PMI) and was the home of the RP Scherer North American Championship Tournament for several years.

It was also the host site of the first-ever National 5 Player tournament - the PaintCheck (magazine) 5 Man.

Skirmish has some of the best - if not THE best - woods ball fields in the country, in addition to their Tippmann Castle and other concept fields.

Go on over and take a look at their website - www.skirmish.com

ClassicMagger
03-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Hey:

Count me in. That is great. Skirmish is a great field. Lets show how the southern boys play and get a group of us to come up.

I would suggest PATCHES. We need to get the old school stuff back up and running. Patches were a STAPLE at envents. I mean come on folks.

ClassicMagger

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-22-2004, 12:54 PM
so uhh...anyone from the IL area wanna give me a ride?

rabidchihauhau
03-22-2004, 01:35 PM
We will be making a section of the forum on www.retroball.com available for people to set up ride sharing information.

rabidchihauhau
03-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Those of you who suggested central location know that I agreed with the general concept. However, I also received very strong (and multiple) counsel to set up something for later this year, rather than waiting 18 months or so to put everything together.

Under those circumstances, I needed to find a friendly venue as quickly as possible and, while I am sure that there are many other of my friends and associates who would have leapt at the opportunity as well, Paul from Skirmish stepped up immediately with an excellent deal.

Therefore, in the interests of putting location to rest asap, I made the decision to go for it.

As you have all seen already, there are at least two pump days being scheduled in other locations of the country, and I'm very sure that we can award a player or two at those events a free entry & some other support as well.

Also, please bear in mind that I do not want this to be the first and only Retroball ever held. I am a FIRM believer in fairness and fully intend to bring Retroball to other parts of the country, in the future, support and responsiveness willing.

If you are planning a pump only day/weekend, please let me know, lets pull it under the Retroball umbrella and set up some prizes.

rabidchihauhau
03-22-2004, 01:44 PM
Ok. Here's THE bottom line.

Retroball MUST have a minimum attendance of 200 players.

This is not a cost-based statement, its a 'build for the future' statement.

In order for Retroball to grow legs, it must be seen by the industry as a 'successful' event. 200+ players ought to do that.

I would much rather postpone the event in September if we do not reach that goal, so here are your marching orders, if you are planning on attending:

GET THE WORD OUT
PUT A TEAM TOGETHER

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-22-2004, 01:59 PM
will there we 12grams and 10rd tubes for sale?

rabidchihauhau
03-22-2004, 02:14 PM
YES, these will be available.

pre-orders will be welcomed at a pre-order price.

info on www.retroball.com

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-22-2004, 02:16 PM
can't wait till the site is up :)

rabidchihauhau
03-22-2004, 02:26 PM
being finished as we speak

magmonkey
03-22-2004, 04:18 PM
we will flyer and try to arange a group to go from southern new england

Pyrate Jim
03-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Count on the CT Marshals to be represented.
I'm sure a whole bunch of other chapters will be heard from once the word is out.

FlameboyC11
03-22-2004, 06:08 PM
What is the closest airport to this area. I honestly have no clue, and mapquest isn't showing too much.

Meph
03-22-2004, 07:54 PM
For the sole purpose that I want to help push this event, and pump play in general. I'll attend. Location is not my favorite, but I'm going for the "greater good."

For 12grams that's an issue that's really hard to work around. There's going to be quite a few stock class guys there I can already imagine, myself as one of them. 10rnd tube and 12gr for me, yaaaaay.
Maybe buckets placed around every here and there like trashcans, specifically for people to dump spent 12grams into. Then probably all sent off to be recycled.

That and mention it in both pre-game talk, and on handout paper.

rabidchihauhau
03-22-2004, 10:14 PM
Meph,

thank you - and an excellent suggestion.

Perhaps a rule mod that requires players to retain their 12 grams and spent tubes?

Tyger
03-22-2004, 11:12 PM
Place garbage cans at key bunkers in the field. So that you can just toss 'em right there. :)

-Tyger

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-22-2004, 11:21 PM
what will happen to all those unclaimed 10rd tubes? have them raffled off?

Tyger
03-23-2004, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
what will happen to all those unclaimed 10rd tubes?

Oh, don't worry. We'll take those home. You don't quite realise how much like "gold" those are...

All looks cool for this. Now, naturally, who's the team to beat?

-Tyger

rabidchihauhau
03-23-2004, 08:27 AM
I'm setting up entry fees to include the all weekend air, 1 case of paint and the entry; this is based on individual attendees, with the team fee being a multiple of that fee; each team size will be allowed a certain number of 'unpaid' alternates; if they play in their team's event(s) - no additional fees. If they want to play in other events, they can pay the entry at the event itself.

I can't really do it any other way right now as I don't have a clue as to what the team sizes are going to be.

Oh - the team entry fee will NOT restrict a team to participating in only the event for that team size; if you sign up as a 15 player team, you can still play open play, big game, speedball, and other, smaller team size events, schedule permitting.

If it becomes apparent that one or more team events gain a large number of participants, I'll re-do the entry fees to reflect that, and we'll deal with adjustments as we go.

Hotels, paint next. I've already got the tubes and 12 grams lines up.

the pdf is ready - anyone wanting a copy, email me at BOTH info@proteamproducts.com AND sdandkg@hotmail.com.

website is basically done except for tweaking, and waiting for the host to complete the domain name transfer.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-23-2004, 12:30 PM
so uhh...hey tyger *evil smile*...you flying or driving there?

Cause good ol' psycho suicidal snyper needs a ride

rabidchihauhau
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Rabid Chihauhau Promotions in conjunction with its sponsors and Skirmish USA is pleased to bring you the first national pump only event since 1991 – RetroBall One!

Retroball will be a return to the roots of paintball – 12 gram cartridges, ten round tubes, multi-acre woods fields, team patches, stick-feeders and paintball play they it was meant to be! If you miss ‘old-skool’ play, if you’d like a break from batteries and two-case games or even if you just wonder what it was all about, make RETROBALL your paintball destination this September.

WHEN: September 24th, 25th, 26th, 2004
WHERE: Skirmish USA, Jim Thorpe, PA (Poconos)
WHAT: Multiple Pump Gun Only Events – YOU decide, based on attendee vote*
Pump Competitions, Big Game, Pump Speedball, Open Field Play
Bring a Team or We’ll Put One Together for You

HOW MUCH? Sign up Now for Early Entry Fee! $50.00 deposit per player secures your entry!

Fee includes Entry, All Weekend Air** and 1 case of paint

March through May 31st $100.00
June 1st Through July 31st $115.00
August 1st through September 23rd $125.00
At the Gate $150.00

Team Rates: The team rate is the individual rate times the team size; alternates do not pay an entry fee. 3, 5 and 7 player teams may register up to two alternates; 10, 12 and 15 player teams may register up to three alternates. Example: 15 player team with 18 players, entry fee will be $1500, includes 15 air tickets and 15 cases of paint, if registered on or before May 31st.

Signup with PayPal or Credit Card at www.Retroball.com
** (25 12 gram cartridges OR co2/HPA)

Ten Round Tubes and 12 gram cartridges will be available. See www.Retroball.com for rates.

HOTEL, TRAVEL and OTHER AMENITIES

Nearby hotels are available. One of the local hotels will be selected as the main location.
Hotel rates and travel arrangements will be posted shortly on the website.

Event Patches bearing the official logo of Retroball One will be presented to each attendee.

A Retroball Banquet will be scheduled for Saturday evening at the main location, where the Paintball Industry Giant awards will be presented. Attendance requires a separate reservation.

For more information
visit www.retroball.com
email sdandkg@hotmail.com
call 386-439-6712

*Event poll at www.retroball.com

This is the flyer, sans graphics (the 'pretty cool retroball logo)

Email me for a pdf version for reproduction purposes.

I have also added a special event that is not represented above:

HUNT FOR BAMBI

Featuring Rob 'Tyger' Rubin in the 'Bambi' suit. He'll get a head start, and then all of you woodsballers will get a chance to track him down and light him up. Now tell me, what could be better than that...?

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-23-2004, 03:13 PM

HUNT FOR BAMBI

Featuring Rob 'Tyger' Rubin in the 'Bambi' suit. He'll get a head start, and then all of you woodsballers will get a chance to track him down and light him up. Now tell me, what could be better than that...?

maybe we get to get prizes for where we hit him...like if we get him in the head we get a 12gram, hit him in the nads we get tubes...

but...what happens if we silly string him?

Vendetta
03-23-2004, 03:22 PM
What it if want to come in for one day of play? Its $150?

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-23-2004, 03:50 PM
is the site finished yet? cause i can't seem to get to it

Crime Dog
03-23-2004, 04:15 PM
Let me know where, when, and how much, and I would DEFINITELY make a concerted effort to be there! I'd love to play all pump games! My Phantom & PGP are dying for a workout!!!

:D

Jackel411
03-23-2004, 04:26 PM
DAYUM!!! THAT WAS QUICK!

Count Wild Geese in....... The worlds oldest team returns in grand fashion ;)

Im getting the needed calls in to my guys...

Also..... I have some limited.. Like 20 maybe.. Nelson direct feed bodies and a bunch of grip frames... some internals and NO valves.. if anby one wants to scare up a few valves Ill be happy to trade them off for some limited items... ALL old school stuff

Shoot me an email if you want anything and Ill do the best I can. :)

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-23-2004, 04:50 PM
100 12grams and 200 10rd tubes on the way to me :)

Question, will you rent out pump markers to those who don't have any?

Jackel411
03-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Hell... if I cant get 15 guys to play with me Ill give some one a dang pump gun.... hehe...

IM going to have to dig out my KP2 for this....mmmmmmmmm KP2 mmmmmmmm

Pyrate Jim
03-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Comet is a doe? Or is Bambi a transvesdeer?

rabidchihauhau
03-23-2004, 07:25 PM
Vendetta,

we were just discussing a 'one day fee' and one will be added; it will most likley be a fee with no paint included.

So far as 'transdeer' are concerned - Bambi has no sex, no orientation and no proclivities. Bambi is a suit. Bambi is a joke. Bambi is meant to be funny, as is this lame excuse for a response on the subject.....

Tubes and 12-grams will be available in advance (for pre-event rates) and on site. Please do not bring your own 12 grams, as that would consitute bringing in your own air fills, which is not allowed. Please do not bring in your own tubes, as we are trying to get up a bulk order so that everyone who wants them can afford them. Can't prevent you from buying your own gear, but here's a hint: the tubes will be imprinted with the event logo...

Brophog
03-23-2004, 07:35 PM
That's kind of ridiculous to not bring your own tubes, is it not?

I fully understand the no air thing. However, you ever seen an event that prohibited you from bringing your own pods?

Meph
03-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Paint, for the love of God, please..... get something quality. I don't mind paying the money for it, but I am NOT using that garbage Skirmish 32degrees bull, especially not at those prices!

Skirmish can sell the paint no problem and I'll abide by the FPO policy. But if it's 32* people'll know I'm not a happy camper.

*edit* Just saw that part about the 12grams and tubes. Don't know how I missed it.

Eh, I don't plan on using 500 tubes. So I don't have a big beef with that. I'll buy 50 or so and I'll be set. Big whoop, going to have to spend 5 bucks or however much. Just have to not go to a McDonalds tomorrow!

But for the 12grams. 2 things.
1) Can I buy a 5-dollar all day air thing then? :)
2) How much are 12grams going to cost? If forced to buy them there, it would be nice to know about cost.

Brophog
03-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Here Here.

Crime Dog
03-23-2004, 08:46 PM
*sees the information now* Duh.

Ok, I'm also of the opinion that I understand the 12 gram issue...but not allowed to bring our own 10 round tubes? I have a ton already. I honestly don't NEED to buy any more...special logo or not.

Is this requirement going to stick?

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-23-2004, 11:12 PM
awwww and i just blew $80 on 12grams and tubes!!!

Tyger
03-24-2004, 01:59 AM
I have also added a special event that is not represented above:

HUNT FOR BAMBI

Do I get a vote in this? Or at least an E-mag?

Ok, I'll start to prep for this one... Anyone wanna "Defend the deer"? (Shold I tell him it's "Comet" not "Bambi"? And for everyone else, "Bambi" WAS a male deer... His MOTHER was killed int he film...)

No matter. I'll be there to play. Now I just need to get a 15 man team together, or jump on one, either way.

-Tyger

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-24-2004, 02:28 AM
lol pick me tyger pick me! i need a ride!

rabidchihauhau
03-24-2004, 07:03 AM
Oooo, ow, uh! ouch!

Ok. Now, I'm a reasonable guy. I've been jumping through hoops the past couple of days to make this happen, and I am trying very hard to keep costs down and make restrictions and stuff reasonable.

I'm going to be firm on the 12-grams: to keep prices reasonable I need to order them in bulk and therefore, its the same as paint and fills.

You will be able to buy additional 12-grams; we're going to do 25 of them for 10 bucks for the sign-up and additional ones probably at 12 bucks (per 25). Smaller quantities at a slightly higher rate, singles at the traditional price of 50 cents per.

Tubes, as I said in the previous post, I can't prevent you from bringing them in and will not attempt to do so; that post was just a strongly worded request that you don't, so that once again I can keep prices for everyone at a reasonable level.

So far as splitting the air thing (as in 5 bucks for some 12 grams and 5 bucks for some air), that won't be a problem.

PAINT: The one major question I had for Skirmish about doing this was whether or not they had any paint deals that would prevent outside paint from being used at the event. The answer was no. I am talking to people about paint and should have an answer no later than Friday.

Now the big stuff. Folks, I'm doing my job. I'm squeezing it in between my regular paintball job (which now has me managing a store, doing intellectual property work AND repairing guns), my OTHER paintball job (a new product introduction), my OTHER paintball job (setting up a small local field), trying to keep my fiance happy and the normal everyday BS everyone has to deal with and -

I've received all of three requests for the PDF flyer and not a SINGLE offer from anyone to volunteer their help (beyond those who stepped up at the beginning).

You folks now need to jump on the bandwagon and do something other than post your enthusiasm (which IS greatly appreciated).

I need people to distribute the flyer locally, I need offers to help at the event, etc., etc., etc.

Brophog
03-24-2004, 07:12 AM
My comment on 12 grams/tubes:

Your 12 gram prices are more than fair, they're great in fact. About the best place to get 12 grams is generally a sporting good store, and you expect to pay around 12 bucks per box of 25. So that is right on par.

I dont see the big deal with tubes though. Even at retail, buying them by the hundred, most of us can get them for around 10 cents a piece. I'm sure you can match that, or atleast in the ballpark. I just cannot see how your going to really save anyone money in this regard, like you can with the 12 grams, considering tubes being so ridiculously cheap in the first place. To me, it seems like more of a hassle on your part to try to encourage people to buy tubes there, than the menial savings you would be able to pass on by buying them in a huge bulk.

rabidchihauhau
03-24-2004, 08:21 AM
The tubes that folks are buying now are all existing stock. The mfg needs a minimum of one month lead time to make them, and they need a minimum order of 5000 tubes.

Remember that this event is hopefully not the be-all, end-all of pump events we're planning. Many more folks will need tubes...but I'm not going to buy 5000 tubes and have them sit in my house, taking up much needed space.

The other reason for imprinting them and requesting that people get them at the event is that I have received a request from Skirmish that we try and keep the 12-grams and tubes under control; they are STILL cleaning them up from when I played out there back in the mid 80's.

As I said before and will say again, in order to be abundantly clear, you MAY bring your own tubes, but we strongly urge you to purchase them from the event.

Darkling
03-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Wow, that's awesome. I wish I could come, but PA is quite a distance from south Florida :(. If anyone wants to take me with them, I'd definitly go, lol :p.

*Edit: Will we be able to camp out? Also, the site doesn't work...

Furby
03-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Feel free to send some flyers to my shop in Hudson once they're done, Steve... We get ALOT of walkthough traffic.

Jackel411
03-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Steve is the flyer available on thois forum???

If so Ill print and put them out in my store , Im rarin' to go...

And then two comments in the negative side.....

Not being aloud to bring your own 12 grams and 10 round tubes? Thats a bit ludacris... I dont know about you but most field ALL around the USA dont have an issue with you bringing 12 grams... even major major tournys.. skyball ect.. and for tubes? I spoke it over with my crew we already have like 200+ Each per member... and we dont feel its fair to force players to get more at the event... being what ever they say on them... both are just silly...

You also run into this with 12 grams.. not all guns work with the same brand 12 grams... They all have slightly different necks , and piercer plate thickness..

Xas
03-24-2004, 03:58 PM
sounds like a great idea, i'll try to make it down there from canada so I can bust out my pump mag

rabidchihauhau
03-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Everyone - Jackal too -

Let's not get any rumors started. I thought I stated it pretty clearly in the last post, but here goes again:

YOU CAN BRING YOUR OWN TEN ROUND TUBES TO THE EVENT. We would prefer that you didn't, there WILL be tubes available at a very good price, but you can bring your own tubes.

YOU MAY NOT BRING IN YOUR OWN AIR. You may not bring in your own fill station for CO2, no scuba tanks for HP, and no outside 12-grams. We are making 12-grams available at a very good price, I've shot just about every 12 gram gun out there and have yet to find one that can't use these 12 grams (non-refillable co2 12-gram cylinders are a standard, DOT and other Federally regulated/mandated dimensions.) The big issue is the seal that the piercing pin has to go through, and these 12 grams pierce very easily.

I am not aware of a single tournament that took place during 12-gram days that let you bring in your own 12 grams, and I'm sorry, but its event only air (has to be for us to use the venue - insurance and etc) and I can't let one group bring in thier own air and the rest have to buy event air.

If you have specific guns that you believe you will have a problem with, tell me the make and model, I'll do a test.

Darkling - there will be a caravan going north from Florida. I'll be in it. I have no doubt you can catch a ride with someone.

Furby, flyer on the way. Jackal, if you forum email works, you'll have one shortly too.

Meph
03-24-2004, 04:53 PM
During 12gram days there wasn't anything but....... 12grams! People obviously didn't have choice in the dun dun duuuuuuuun 12gram days. Hence the name of said era.

Personally I'll be fine with it. Myself. I don't ever buy bulk amounts of 12grams to use all year long, so I myself don't have a big concern.

But I do see where some people are coming from with this issue. As I do know a few people who buy 500 at one time for THEMSELVES to use the entire year, usually with a few left over, and probably won't be happy when forced to buy more. But those 'minority' aside here's the reason obviously for the air passes

Compressors and boosters and 25lb. tanks cost money to buy them, cost money to maintain them or even one day replace them. Air passes are used to pay for this bulky, complicated equipment due to its cost. It's not a 50 dollar all day pass, the cost is spread thruought all the players over year(s) to pay for it. Same thing with paint obviously, to cover most everything else! Especially insurance.

Yet with 12grams there isn't anything to worry about except spent ones, and people taking care of them. There's nothing to buy in order for people to use 12grams at the facility. So some people probably feel that when they have to pay money to get in, then pay money for paint, to then pay money for 12grams seems like they're being "taxed" to cover the air-tank people. And with all the costs already being added just to even TRAVEL to this place anything to help out such as eating at McDonalds dollar menu instead of Red Lobster helps out. Why else are there so many camping people as compared to everybody just getting a hotel?

I probably missed something else for other people, some people get riled up over different reasons. I'd ask around some people and see what some peoples' opinion is on the issue. Probably most people will be fine with it.

rabidchihauhau
03-24-2004, 05:09 PM
I appreciate the fact that some people will be getting 12 grams in for their regular play and will feel like they are paying a tax - but:

they'll be getting 25 for their 10 dollar all weekend air fee;

And the spent cartridges are the big issue: I have to pay someone for three days to be responsible for the cleanup, and I have to pay for the dumpster.

I don't want to come across as nasty, and I certainly don't want this issue to negatively affect the event, but there's really nothing I can do about it and the policy remains in place.

Brophog
03-24-2004, 05:13 PM
I probably missed something else for other people, some people get riled up over different reasons. I'd ask around some people and see what they thought (hint hint Brophog) as to exactly why they don't like the idea.

I must have really missed something. What are you bringing me into this for?:rolleyes:

Vendetta
03-24-2004, 05:17 PM
they'll be getting 25 for their 10 dollar all weekend air fee;

40 cents each is not a bad price at all.

Mike Smith
03-24-2004, 05:27 PM
OK folks... I'm confused...

Why would anyone want to carry additional stuff (12 grams) half-way across the country, when they can be purchased at the event for cheap?

If you're driving up, murphy's law demands that one of them get loose and rattle around in the van for at least 300 miles, then someone will step on it and bruise the bottom of their foot.

If you're flying in, count on every square inch of your luggage being deconstructed so it can be properly searched if they find 12 grams!

Who needs that grief?

Pyrate Jim
03-24-2004, 06:30 PM
No matter. I'll be there to play. Now I just need to get a 15 man team together, or jump on one, either way.

The Marshals would be honored if you'd join us. We still need to put together our roster, and we have the EMR weekend to plan, but we'll have a team there.

Machine
03-24-2004, 07:42 PM
I would have to agree with people being OVERTAXED. I know what that is...I LIVE IN CANADA thats native american for "tax land". Up here though we pay roughly $22.00 for 25 12-grams cartridges. So actually no matter how good your Math skills are that is a really good price!!

The fact that there will be no outside paint is of course a no brainer we have all seen this. That is where the field makes their dough.
To have no outside air makes the field owner look like a "MONEY GRUBBING WEASEL" as Durty Dan used to say!;) I would just give the people a choice with your good deal on 12-Grams. Or hide your clean-up costs in you paint price. Rather than go to Canadian Tire looking for then if the Venue will carry them I will buy them.
When their are too amny extras to pay for, people may look twice at the event i think. You don't want to scare people away. In actual fact I am sure their are hangers on (younger kids just getting into the sport that hang out every weekend) who would be more than willing to clean-up your field for a price(cheap paint) Up here local Clubs like ours do this at the beginning and end of every season. Walk to the field looking for Junk (Pods and 10 round tubes...gold) and 12-gram cartriges.

Any way my two cents worth.

TTFN:D

Tyger
03-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Lemme say this in defense of the 12 gram thing.

What we're tryng to do here is make the event work. As Steve already said, there's a cost of cleaning up 12 grams. But there's also one other thing that I'm learning about, and that's pre planning.

Let's face it. NOBODY has tried to pull off a pump only 15 man event since... 1991? Along with the normal headaches of pre-planning a tournament (which this technically is), there's ow a wildcard of 12 grams and tubes. How many do you bring with?

Consider that without pre-orders, we have no clue how many 12 grams we'll need to get. And the scenario works like this. We get too many, and what do we do with a tub full of 12 grams? We all know they're not cheap, and if they sit in a warehouse that's all they'll do. We don't get enough, and the SC guys will go into caniptions that we ran out. There's no real happy medium here.

Now look the other way. We could say "Bring your own". Well, my last run-in with the TSA has informed me that they're less than informed about paintball, but they will confiscate luggage if they think there's illegal cargo in it. That includes CO2 powerlets in your bags! And if you're driving in, you have to do the math before you get there and hope that you brought enough yourself. And if you can't buy them at the field, you'll have to con someone in the parking lot to sell you theirs or figure out a way to get your gun to work with a bulk tank.

The tube thing is along the same lines. If I know that I can pick up 10-20 at the event, that's one less thing I'll worry about packing. But again, it's a numbers game from the planning perspective. Think of it as gambling. We're betting that "X" people will buy "Y" tubes, so we'll get "Z" made for the event. It's not about making money off the tubes. The possibility of taking a bath is real. There's no way to know other than wild guessing how many people will wany to buy tubes there or not, and we're trying to get a hanldle on how many need to be ordered. We're trying to make this easer for people who may never have played stock class before, making sure some of the gear they need will be there to purchase.

When you spread it out, however, it's a minor expense per individual. I see it as a non-issue in the big picture. The big picture is that for the first time in a decade we the players are making a game that WE want to play. And for the fist time in 14 years or so we'll be playing 15 man tournament style paintball in the woods the way it was FUN. Heck, I'll pay an extra $10 for 12 grams and tubes for that!

Come on people. We're not to trying to "Rape and Pillage the Pocketbook" here. We're trying to make an event that will actually stand on it's own two feet, and we're looking at making this an annual thing. If this was about the fast dollar I wouldn't be a part of it. I've had a few long talks with Steve on this, and we've got easily a five year plan if people rediscover and enjoy the format.

-Tyger

Furby
03-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Werd...it's not like Steve is trying to pull an IAO here...

Jackel411
03-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Ill behave ;) Okay okay I dont think that having to buy 12 grams is a bad idea...

nato
03-24-2004, 11:37 PM
Im in as long as I can fit it into my hectic schedule... I've always wanted to actually play OTHER pump players with my PGP.

Hope this works out Tyger!
Thanks,
N.A.T.O.

White_Noise
03-24-2004, 11:41 PM
man, if it fit in my schedule(on a team with nato) and i had a pump, i would probably do it too

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-24-2004, 11:54 PM
just printed out some flyers to distribute at the badlandz :)

rabidchihauhau
03-25-2004, 06:57 AM
Ok!. Finally www.retroball.com has become active.

There's not much there yet - prices, date, the menus for the rest of the stuff, links to the current sponsors sites.

The forum and the other essential sections will be active later on tonite, and we'll get the rest fleshed out in the next couple of days.

I have a rumor of a webmaster coming my way to maintain it.

Shortly we'll be able to move this stuff over to a dedicated form.

Scott Hudnall
03-25-2004, 07:46 AM
I just caught up on reading the posts since my last reply.....SKIRMISH is a good choice.....haven't been there (but wanted to) but the location is only 2 states away and I'm looking forward to it!!!

Thanks a million!

You only need 200??? I'd be surprised if you don't have many many more.

Will there be a forum for players to hook up with teams looking for players?

Furby
03-25-2004, 08:13 AM
We're printing up a bunch of flyers in our shop to hand out...pity it's going to be at Skirmish, though...

rabidchihauhau
03-25-2004, 10:10 AM
Yes, there will be a full section of the forum devoted to putting teams together.

This is one reason why the pricing for the event is set up the way that it is; doing it this way allows individuals to sign up and THEN be put together for a team - no waiting, etc.

So far as competition is concerned: I plan on running the team events with a split finals round. Teams that sign up as TEAMS will move on to semis/finals that are only amongst full teams, and 'put-together' teams (PT teams) will play in their own semis/finals.

This of course assumes that there will be enough teams in a format to justify it - and if a PT team doesn't want to go on to the PT finals, they'll be able to take that option.

Given all of the additional issues inherent with pick up teams, I think it only fair that we recognize this in the event structure. Besides, I'd like to encourage people who want to do a team format - but I know I'd be hesitant to spend the money for competition when I have little or no chance of doing well going in (its the RARE PT team that can compete with an organized team effectively; good game, probably, winnin - probably not.)

Paintballchannel has posted the flyer on their site - go on over and look at it and bump their dailies a bit for them.

Jackel is so far the only new person to request the flyer (thank you).

Come on the rest of you, you have to put some effort in to make this happen.

Tyger
03-25-2004, 10:35 AM
the flyer is also at the Web Dog Radio site as well.

-Tyger

rabidchihauhau
03-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks Tyger!

I've just been informed that I now have a volunteer webmaster. I will be forwarding him all pertinent info this evening and setting him up to update forums and etc.

rabidchihauhau
03-25-2004, 04:37 PM
something is definately, terribly, horribly, awfully wrong.

Its been two weeks since this thing started and there's been no controversy. A little discussion about 12 grams, a little disappointment voiced - but no viscious rumor attacks, no character assassination attempts, no deliberately confusing alternatives, no lies, no obfuscations, no denials and no accusations.

Kinda makes you wish the presidential campaign was being run on AO, huh?

Oh. You thought I was talking about the paintball thing, didn't you? LOL.

I guess its getting way too close to April Fools' day.....

Brophog
03-25-2004, 04:55 PM
We're all still in a state of shock!

Meph
03-25-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Brophog

I must have really missed something.

Nope, actually that's my bad. I misread your previous reply on page 4. Sorry about the confusion there.

Jackel is so far the only new person to request the flyer (thank you).

I've requested for one back on page 3. Glad to see they're now finished, I can print some out.

One tactic I might suggest, for some of our younger members here on AO since they won't get jail time. Going to WalMart and Dicks, opening the paint boxes and putting flyers inside of them. Can't beat that type of promotion! Yeah. :) (should go without saying this is sarcasm)

*edit* Just had an idea. I'll start searching tomorrow at some junk yards or where have you for some pneumatic or hydrolic pistons so I can make a cheap target range. Figure what would be better at a pump event than a accuracy/target shoot. Fastest time wins obviously, and in case of tie least # of shots. Then after another tie.... ummm, paper rock scissors should work.

Or if I can't find some cheap mechanical little device to rig up, good old hinge and long piece of rope should work!

FlameboyC11
03-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Anybody know of the closest airport? I kinda need to know, and I'm sure others would too.

Scott Hudnall
03-25-2004, 10:21 PM
DO YOU NEED A NEW AND INEXPENSIVE PUMP KIT FOR YOUR AUTOCOCKER? I've found them on ebay, but way over priced. You can get the 2K and 99 cocker pump kits at whitewolfairsmithing.com

They've got both types....excellent prices....pay through Paypal....and fast shipping.

I ordered mine Monday, got it Thursday, and it's on the old skool 'cocker right now!!!! Ehrrrr...make that old skool sniper.....whatever....

Seriously.....the kits run about $20.

rabidchihauhau
03-26-2004, 07:15 AM
We've provided a link to skirmish usa's site on the retroball site; they've already done all the travel work with info about airports and as I said in an earlier post, I hate spending energy reinventing the wheel. You can find all location info at www.skirmish.com - or go to www.retroball.com and click on the skirmish link.

rabidchihauhau
03-26-2004, 09:27 AM
I'll add target shooting 'contests' to the poll of events.

I'll DEMAND that one of them (if we hold 'em) is a long-ball contest. We'll put a target out at 200, 250 and 300 feet and see how many people remember how to drop paint in on targets....

I'm finalizing paint today/Monday. Once that's in the bag, its off to hotels, then sponsorships and trade show.

Jackel411
03-26-2004, 10:13 AM
Yeah speaking of which I didnt get anything back yet...

Steve : Jackel411@aol.com

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-26-2004, 12:05 PM
a lot of us should chip in for those giant tour buses and have that pick everyone up in a general area and take us to retroball then back

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-26-2004, 08:33 PM
i just can't stop showing this off :)

http://jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1587
http://jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1588
http://jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1594

And i think i'm set for retroball

http://jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1590

SeeK
03-26-2004, 08:49 PM
We'd need a departure date, time, return date and a deposit. We'd also probably have to pay to put the driver up in a motel for howerver many nights.

The capacity of a coach is 30-40 with a bathroom and space for equipment.

You'd also need to collect money from people without refunds unless they get somebody to take their place.

Here's a link to a request form if somebody has the time to follow this up.

http://www.peoriacharter.com/links/chartreq.html

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-26-2004, 08:53 PM
hmm i highly doubt that we will get enough people to go on the charter. I say we just get a bunch of cars together and make a giant convoy...

rabidchihauhau
03-27-2004, 06:42 AM
True - you might not be able to get 40 people from one particular area, but I wonder if it might not be possible to set up a couple of routes - so long as a charter company is willing to make a few stops along each 'route';

Chicago- fort wayne - cleveland - pittsburgh - skirmish...?

Dallas - Little Rock - nashville - columbus - skirmish...?

columbia - raleigh - richmond - dc - philadelphia - skirmish

I'll look into it: if anyone out there has contacts at bus charter companies, please get in touch

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-27-2004, 12:19 PM
if there is a bus you can count me being in the chicago one

tribalman
03-27-2004, 07:27 PM
i have one question, on the poster is says "sign up now for early entry fee, it's $50" but right below that is says that entry for one person from march to to may31 is $100. which is it?

also, even though i wasn't in paintball during the 12 gram days i'm gonna try and get one and head out to this event. if any1 from chicago is driving, can i hitch a ride?

nato
03-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Im in Chicago and will probably be driving out. Hopefully us ao-ilers can get a "convoy" going.

N.A.T.O.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-27-2004, 08:21 PM
i'll hop onto one of those car convoys :)

maybe we can wave a GIANT AO-IL flag

rabidchihauhau
03-28-2004, 08:24 AM
tribalman,

its a $50 deposit.

Here's how it works: if you pay the 50 deposit on or before May 31st, you only have to pay 50 more for your full entry. If you pay a 50 deposit on June 15th, you'll have to pay 65 for the full entry ($115) and etc.

A lot of people may be able to drop fifty bucks right now, but might find it difficult to come up with the full $100, so we're trying to make it as easy as possible.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-28-2004, 08:45 AM
headin up to AO-IL DAY IV, will be distributing retroball flyers :)

rabidchihauhau
03-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Suicidal -

thank you very much. You are now officially a FIRST CLASS VOLUNTEER.

Please say hello to everyone there from us.

The sponsorship and vendor package will be up on the website later this evening and the forum ought to be activated by then too - so please pass that on as well.

FlameboyC11
03-28-2004, 12:40 PM
What exactly does the "sponsorship" entitle? Are we sponsoring Retroball, or are being sponsored? Would this be a trade off of passing out fliers for a lowered entry fee or what?

rabidchihauhau
03-29-2004, 08:32 AM
the sponsorship flyer is for event sponsors - the folks who help make an event happen.

As for the flyers, there's no trade-off for distributing them. If you help distribute them, you help make the event better, bigger and more fun. If you don't help, you don't help, that's about all there is to it.

rabidchihauhau
03-29-2004, 08:34 AM
The retroball forum is now active.

You can get to the forum, the discussions, the ride share, the team building and the polls by going to -

www.retroball.com

and clicking on the forum link at the bottom of the page.

Please email me with any suggestions or changes for additional topics or anything else which will help the forum serve you better.

rabidchihauhau
03-29-2004, 01:31 PM
The Retroball sign-up page is now up and active on www.retroball.com.

You may pay a deposit or a full entry fee.

You may also reserve a seat for the banquet.

If you pay a deposit, your balance will be due no later than September 15th. Your full payment will be for the entry fee that was in effect when you paid your deposit.

(pay a deposit between 3/29 and 5/31 and your balance will be $50 for an entry fee of $100. pay a deposit between 6/1 and 7/31, your balance will be $65 for an entry fee of $115. pay deposit between 8/1 and 9/15, your balance will be $75 for an entry fee of $125. Pay the balance after 9/15 or at the gate and your entry fee will be $150)

You can pay multiple deposits or entry fees as well.

Single day passes will only be available at the gate.

Questions, concerns, issues, etc - please email me. Forms of payment other than paypal or credit card, please email me.

The forum is up - please go there and start posting.

Tyger
03-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Here's what we can really use for REtroball, in the near future.

Pre-reg : Get everyone together, nd sink your $50 down ASAP. The reason we need this is to ge an idea of who's going, and make sure we can block out enough hotel space, and all that. And for $50, you're locking in your pre-reg fee at $100. So you pay $50 now, $50 later, and you get a case of paint in the deal. Heck, the last few places I've played the $100 nearly covers the case....

Spread the word : If you've got access to a printer, print out copies of the PDF flyer and LET PEOPLE KNOW!!! Talk to Steve and let him know if you're dropping flyers off at stores or fields. Tack it up on the board, get it out there!

Go out and play pump : I'm planning a Chicago event in the very near future, and next weekend is Tattoo's birthday pump bash. Get out there, play it up, and show players that, yes, it indeed is REALLY cool to play pump. Then hand them a flyer. :D

And, oh yeah, you can form a 15 man team. Get organised, get together, and scare the hell out of the guys who just show up.

Nero? We gotta talk. :)

-Tyger

Dryden
03-29-2004, 03:57 PM
I'll print out a handful of flyers and distribute them at The Bash Annual Big Game in Ohio this year (6/12 & 6/13). There's usually a fair number of people there (200+), and a good deal of them are retro-ballers.

EDIT: Your link for the flyer download is hard-referenced to your hard drive, not relative for the Web site.

Tyger
03-29-2004, 09:43 PM
You can also get the PDF file @ the Web Dog Radio site (http://www.webdogradio.us/news/RETROBALL.pdf) as well. I know that Paintball Channel has it too, but I don't have their URL off hand for the flyer. (Sorry Furby...)

-Tyger

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-29-2004, 10:33 PM
is there specific times?

we got the dates but what about the times? (cause i need to somehow get back to school)

rabidchihauhau
03-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Yes, we know about the link to the harddrive and have corrected it; Karen used her laptop remotely to make some updates and for some reason (not visible to us during editing) doing it that way re-linked all of the images to the harddrive instead of the server. I love hearing her talk dirty, but not when its over the computer.....

We have our first officially signed up attendees and I have heard from a major old skool TEAM that they will be attending - a team that is ranked #16 in the top 50 teams of all time.

I have also heard from some industry 'celebs' that they will most likley be attending.

ID badges will be bearing sign-up numbers and if you want to get a low number, now is the time to sign up.

Times?

I can't really give you firm ones until I have scheduled the events, but I imagine something like this:

Friday - 24th: 10 am till dusk - open play, speedball and maybe some games for 7 player or 15 player.

Saturday - 25th: 8 am - begin competitions, begin open play (start of 'worlds longest continuous paintball competition' game (what's that? stay tuned...) till dusk.

Sunday - 26th: 8 am till 10-11: finals rounds for competitions. 11 am till 4 - big game

TDonovan
03-30-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm also from IL, but seen as how I'm 17 the parents probably wouldn't be thrilled with me driving (or even scarier for them, being driven by someone... no offense) all the way to PA, it looks like I'm sitting at home.

Let me know if any other pump events open up in IL (or possibly wisconsin) and I'd be more likely to go. I am anxious to play some other pumpers though! Have fun and good luck with RetroBall!

Brophog
03-30-2004, 05:02 PM
You can still do your part though, TDonovan.

IIRC you do own a phantom, correct?;) Take that puppy out to your local fields and area scenarios and show people how alive pump is.

Then take a few flyers with you and let others know that there is still an organized interest in pump events.

TDonovan
03-30-2004, 08:40 PM
That I CAN do... :)

Playing pump is definitely fun, and I'm sure a few that I talked with looked into getting one. I'd say the best part is I never have to argue with someone about not lending them paint on the field.

*I slide up next to someone behind some cover.
Guy: Hey man, can you give me some ammo? I'm almost out!
Me: Are you kidding?
Guy: Wha?
Me: I've got 40 balls max on me, you're on your own.
Guy: Damn pump!

I've been wanting to get an all pump game at fox paintball for some time, but I haven't really seen anyone interested.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-30-2004, 08:45 PM
if you make an all pump game at fox i'm there

Spaceman613
03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
come down to Sudden impact.... (near bloomington, il)

We regularly have pumpers out... Heck, Tyger's coming down this weekend and we should have 50-60 pumpers out for the day.

Im trying to arrange more frequent pump days at Sudden Impact. maybe once a month.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-31-2004, 08:37 PM
saturday im going to the badlandz to school some friends of mine :)

sunday i might be free

rabidchihauhau
04-01-2004, 07:43 PM
I believe I am very close to securing the paint for the event. Expect a formal announcement on this within a couple of days.

AGD
04-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Moving to meet and greet.

AGD

1stdeadeye
04-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Sounds neat. Maybe able to go if AlbinoNewt ever gets me that conversion Sniper kit for my cocker!!

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
04-05-2004, 07:50 PM
if not you can always barrow my model 89 :)

DiSoRdeR
04-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Where is this? Sorry dont feel like reading through 6 pages

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
04-10-2004, 12:31 AM
skirmish paintball in PA i think

cheetah256
04-19-2004, 03:38 PM
let me know if you guys want to set up a chat room, i'm an administrator/ircop on paintballchat.net, and we can set you up with a java irc client, and your own channel.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
04-19-2004, 06:58 PM
big disappointment, i was attempting to hand out fliers at the badlandz and absolutely no one was interested. The majority of the players were tourny players or were new players that think pump guns can't do anything.

I can't find any "old school players" at that field

AGDlover
04-27-2004, 09:59 PM
ah come on what bout old school 68mags with all the old school parts like the lvl7 and the plastic single trigger frame

lunatickyle007
04-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Would an ACI Hornet with 12 gram changer and 10 round stock tubes be legal
thx, for answer kyle

P.S. Tyger your the best and i love Web Dog I also met you at the big EMR game last weekend I hope you remember me my name is kyle and i had the mag.

Tyger
04-30-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm tryin' to remember, a lot of the Castle was such a blur. :) Were you one of the guys I crawled into on the tower on Wall 1 after the first hour? :D

I'll try to be more awake at Retroball.

-Tyg

lunatickyle007
04-30-2004, 12:39 AM
yep that was me i toke out alot of guys from that spot with my trusty mag, sorry i wont be at retroball because i flew from tucson, arizoan to goto emr game. But maybe next year hehehe:)

P.S. I loove old school paintball :)

rabidchihauhau
05-18-2004, 09:43 AM
Due to UNDERwhelming response, the RETROBALL(tm) event has been rescheduled to take place in September of 2005.

When I was initially approached about this event, I suggested a year's lead time, but allowed myself to buy into the 'hit it while its hot' crowd who wanted something more immediate.

I used to have a little mantra I repeated before every tournament game that went something like this: "NEVER second guess your gut; your gut is always right; when you go with your gut, its ALWAYS the right decision. NEVER second guess your gut; your gut is always right....."

I guess I need to start listening to it again.

Given the extreme level of interest and excitement, I have to say that I was very disappointed by the sign-up response - virtually none.

A quick side note: those who did sign up and paid a deposit will be receiving a refund within the week; if you have not received a paypal payment within the week, please contact me through the www.retroball.com website email address.

I was excited also; I knew of two fifteen player teams that were rounding up their players and couldn't wait to get into the woods.

I was also very pleased with the fact that I was able to put together the deals and sponsorships we did on such short notice - some companies in this industry are good, solid individuals who deserve all the credit.

$100 bucks, including paint, air and entry fee, for an entire weekend. I just hope (given the economy and such) that I'll be able to keep the prices the same next year.

We'll be working on some promotional stuff during that year - so if anyone is seriously interested, stay in touch.

Steve

Mike Smith
06-12-2004, 08:48 PM
I'd like to be there, however. Shatnerball is Labor Day and Twilight Zone is usually the first week of October.

Realistically, if it's in September, I could make the 3rd weekend of September (9-17&18) or possibly 9-24&25.

Keep us informed, and are there any rules against carrying 2 pumps? (Sometimes, I run out of paint at the most inopportune times...)

rabidchihauhau
06-15-2004, 09:12 AM
September 26-28, 2005

Steve

there ya go!

Mike Smith
06-15-2004, 07:10 PM
Monday to Wednesday? (Sept 26-28, 2005)

Why not on a weekend?

rabidchihauhau
06-16-2004, 08:34 AM
wrong calender:

this event will be held on

Friday, Saturday and Sunday, September 23rd, 24th, 25th, 2005

Steve

Meph
07-12-2004, 07:57 PM
*Edit*

Actually I'll have to get back to you on this. Originally thought I could ignore my morals towards Skirmish and support this style of play, but not sure. I'll have to get back to ya on this if I'll attend.

warthog2t0
07-19-2004, 12:00 PM
where will it be held at again?

rabidchihauhau
07-20-2004, 12:52 PM
where will it be held at again?

Skirmish USA

Jim Thorpe/Blakeslee, PA

NOT SHOUTING - EMPHASIZING :

INFORMATION ABOUT THIS EVENT, DATES, COSTS, WEBSITE UPDATES, SPONSORS AND ET AL WILL BE POSTED IN LATE AUGUST/EARLY SEPTEMBER, 2004, WHEN I RETURN FROM MY HONEYMOON - PROVIDED THAT I LIVE THROUGH THE EXPERIENCE...

Steve

paint magnet
09-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Skirmish USA

Jim Thorpe/Blakeslee, PA

NOT SHOUTING - EMPHASIZING :

INFORMATION ABOUT THIS EVENT, DATES, COSTS, WEBSITE UPDATES, SPONSORS AND ET AL WILL BE POSTED IN LATE AUGUST/EARLY SEPTEMBER, 2004, WHEN I RETURN FROM MY HONEYMOON - PROVIDED THAT I LIVE THROUGH THE EXPERIENCE...

Steve

^^ It's late September, he must not have lived :( :eek: :D

Anyway, I will likely have to miss school if I am able to atend this event, but I will do my best to be there. I'll be bringing my Nelspot 007, my pre-star 'mag and whatever else I happen to be shooting at the time. This sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

rabidchihauhau
09-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Retroball one has been moved back to

SEPTEMBER 23,24,25 of 2005

2005, 2005, 2005, 2005

Please keep your eyes peeled for more information and announcements on www.retroball.com

All of our previously on board sponsors are staying with us and I am lining up media sponsors and special guests.

Steve

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
09-24-2004, 05:22 PM
doubt i can make this one, school got in the way