PDA

View Full Version : working on dying some pods, quick question

rkjunior303
03-18-2004, 03:49 PM
I wanted to RIT the bottom half of some clear pods I bought but I would only be able to dye the outside without filling the inside with the dye/water.. How do you think this will work when I stick the rounded pod ends into the dye solution?

Duck Hunt
03-18-2004, 03:59 PM
That should work fine, just make sure you stick them in and hold them there without moving them, you must have patience.

Sean

trevorjk
03-18-2004, 04:00 PM
do you mean the inside bottem half? cuase i would suggest useing a funnel to get the liquid into the bottem half and then when you think your set dump it quick and give it a rinse to keep the rest of the pods from dying

but if your just doing the outside only stick the part of the pod you want dyed into the dye

and you just gave me a great idea for what im going to do to my pods lol i cant beleive i never thought of that :)

rkjunior303
03-18-2004, 04:01 PM
oh, defintely.. I wanted to try and make some red to clear fades, going to the lids .... I was jus wondering if the dye would take ok on the outside only..

thanks! i mean worst case, i ruin one. who cares :)

rkjunior303
03-18-2004, 04:02 PM
trevor - i wanted to dye the rounded half red and fade it up clear to the lids.. BUT.. I knew in order to get the inside and outside, i would have to fill it with water.. I was wondering if just by sticking the pod into the mixture of dye and water if it would make it red enough, dying the outside portion of the plastic (and not bothering with the outside..

as soon as i saw clear pods i thought, why not just rit them.. people did proteus's!

trevorjk
03-18-2004, 04:11 PM
true and besides you got a sweet deal on those pods ;) but yeah you can get them as red as you want the longer its in the solution the redder it will get so if you leave the first inch or so in for 10 minutes then very slowly put more of the pod in that would give you a nice fade i would think... but im going to try and do the same thing your doing so if you want to wait for me to try it tomorrow and i get back to you, you can but im going to be doing the same thingyour doing

LeatherPants
03-18-2004, 04:19 PM
How about tapping or drilling a small hole in the bottom of the pod? It's not like the pod really has to be air tight. That way you can dip it in and be able to dye the inside and out at the same time.

rkjunior303
03-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Trevor -- yeah defintely, I was gonna wait a bit anyways..

The small hole is a good idea, too but remember the fade is going from the closed end up, so you would have to push it in a little at a time.....

trevorjk
03-20-2004, 02:39 PM
http://www.jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1451

i used rit dye scarlet 5

water was just starting to boil

first pod was just the outside for 15 minutes (farthest left)

second pod was inside and outside for roughly 12 minutes (middle)

and the third pod was just outside and pure dye on the inside for 10 minutes (farthest right)

just did a little experimenting and then i got lazy :) so im sure if you increased the times they would turn out red and i just 2 toned them i didnt try to fade

stupiddogg
03-20-2004, 04:03 PM
kool aid minus the sugar works well I saw this last week too :)