PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have any idea about how public domain works?

Pullman
03-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Hey,

So my new paintball team is the Magpies (ooh in't that cute they have mags and they call themselves the Magpies). Anyhow I found this pic of Heckle and Jeckle on the internet, and made it into a logo. Since we are just playing the local tourneys around here I don't think anyone will care but does anyone know how we go about finding out if Heckle and Jeckel are Public Domain yet?

My other thought was to make a cartoon magpie shaped paintball mask. Kind of like the Mighty Ducks logo...

Thanks

Dryden
03-18-2004, 11:42 PM
I'm not certain who owns the rights to Heckle and Jeckle (Disney, WB, Hannah Barbera/Paramount), but I am 110% positive they're not in the public domain. Prior to the Copyright Extension Act of 1998, the copyright term was 75 years.

The extension in '98 was primarily the magic of Disney Studios. Seamboat Willie was made in 1928, which meant that Mickey Mouse would be public domain in 2003. The Act of 1998 is often termed the 'Sonny Bono' act though, since it was championed by his wife, Mary, through Congress after his death (guess she knew on which side her bread was buttered!)

For nearly every work created since the Great Depression, the current copyright terms will be until at least 2019.

EDIT: Heckle and Jeckle were created by TerryToons (Mighty Mouse), passed to CBS, and are currently owned by Fox. They originally appeared in 1946, with the vintage cartoons being produced until 1960.