PDA

View Full Version : Quick Wi-fi Question

WickeDKlowN
03-19-2004, 08:43 PM
If I had 2 computers, both running XP Pro, and I put a 802.11b(or g) card in each, would it be possible to do file/print sharing and mabey LAN games(not really interested in internet sharing wince I have 56k)? I would get a Wireless router, but again, I have 56k :(

Ones a Desktop and ones a Laptop by the way.

painball
03-19-2004, 09:08 PM
Yes.

Potatoboy
03-19-2004, 09:11 PM
yes, you'll want to set both connections to operate in ad-hoc (computer to computer) instead of infastructure (computer to access point) mode.

RobAGD
03-19-2004, 09:14 PM
If you just have the cards no, you would need a router or bridge of some sort to connect the wireless cards. if you just want to connect 2 pc for screwing around then just get a 150ft cross over cable and do it that way, if youwant something a tad more expandable I would suggest a router/bridge deal.

-R

Jaasper
03-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Yes, just run the cards in Ad-Hoc modeand make sure you have file and printer sharing turned on. Give them the same ip range and workgroup etc.. If you are using the same brand cards in both machines, they usually have a wizard that will walk you throu the above stuff. Should work fine. You do not need a bridge/access point for wireless cards to talk to each other.

RT pRo AuToMaG
03-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Most WiFi routers require a DSL or Cable line. You need to get a faster connection before anything. DSL is relatively cheap now (You can get it for about $30 per month).

But whatever you do, DO NOT GO WITH 802.11b. It is slow and the range is not that great. Go with a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. That is what I have and it is extremely fast, and very reliable, plus it's pretty small.

WickeDKlowN
03-19-2004, 11:33 PM
It's not the price of broadband that's a problem, I just can't get anything other than Dial-Up(or Satelite, but everyone I talk to about it says it sucks) where I live.

I've got a crossover cable, I just wanted to go wireless because all these cords on my lappy are pissing me off. I mean, it's a laptop, there shouldnt be cords sticking out all over the place, lol.

RT pRo AuToMaG
03-20-2004, 12:36 AM
Ah, that sucks that you can't get any good broadband connections :(. Yeah, just go with an 802.11g wireless router. When I had a crappy Linksys router, the wireless portion of it broke and I had a 75 ft cat 5 wire going through my house for about 6 monthes until 802.11g came out.