PDA

View Full Version : help me with domains and blah blah blah

i_baked_cookies
03-19-2004, 09:36 PM
my computer belongs to a domain and i am an administrator. im trying to get my computer to share its connection with my xbox, and in order to do that, i need to logon to "this computer". every time i use my computer, i logon onto my domain- whether im at school or home. in controlpanel->users, there is me on the domain, and guest which is on "this computer". i reset the password for guest and made it something else. whenever i try to logon with guest, it says something like "the system policy does not allow you to logon interactivitaly" whatever that means.

it comes down to this- how can i make or change a user to logon to "this computer" or is there something that i can do to let my share my internet with my xbox without messing with the users and whatnot

thanks

Jaasper
03-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Where are you trying to log on with "Guest" to? Is "this computer" part of the domain. Which OS are you using.

Kinda hard to figure out your question from your post. Might try and explain it a little better, but it sounds like your "guest" user is ethier disabled by default or if its not actually called "guest", it does not have log on local rights.

i_baked_cookies
03-20-2004, 12:30 AM
sorry, im using xp pro

when i say guest, i am referring to one of the few users on my computer.

there is:
guest which logs onto the computer, not the domain

admin which logs onto the comp, not the domain

and me, which logs on to the domain

i finally figured out how to get onto admin, but i still cant connect my xbox and my computer. im just gonna give up... thanks though

Jaasper
03-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Okay, no prob. If you want more help just ask. If you are using XP Pro. How do you have a domain setup?

-Jaasper

i_baked_cookies
03-21-2004, 02:36 AM
i have a domian on my computer because it really belongs to my school, and they give them out to the 900 of us (rent, really). they belong to that domain which is set up at school.

i cant use the ICS (internet connection sharing) wizard because it says that i belong to a domain.

ive figured out how to log onto my computer instead of the domain. whether or not im at school, i always logged onto the school domain. now im logged onto the computer.

it still wont let me use the ICS wizard.

is there a way to connect two computers (in this case, my laptop and xbox) without using that ICS wizard?

if anyone can give any imput at all, that will be greatly appreciated.

Jaasper
03-21-2004, 10:00 AM
To tell you the truth, just go spend the $60 for a router at best buy or some place and that would be easier. Other wise that error your getting sounds like a rights issue.

Umm look under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment. Then look for "Log on locally access" Make sure that the user you are trying to connect with is ethier in one of these groups that are here or the user itself. Also on same page look under "Deny Logon Locally" and make sure its not there.

Basically just create a local user on your laptop with the same name that your are trying to logon with and then throw it into the admin group on your laptop. Make sure they have the same username and password. I don't know if this will work or not because you are mixing Domain permissions with Workgroup permissions