PDA

View Full Version : Review: Windows XP Pro

FeelTheRT
09-26-2001, 08:50 PM
Hi, i recently tested Windows XP Pro and i'd have to say it's pritty impressive something made my MS ;). Actually, i think it's the best MS has ever made.

First thing i noticed... NO DOS!!! Boots like 20 seconds faster, BTW, i'm running on a 700 AMD, 128MB RAM, Voodoo 3, rest u do'nt need to konw..

I was really suprised at how little system resources it took up. Before installing it, i was prepared to brace myself from slowness cuz i thoguht it would be more of a system res. hog than Windows 2000 Pro. But it was very suprising.

Another thing i noticed was in the Shut Down menu, there's Shutdown, Restart and.. Hibernation...?
yep, Hibernation, it's sort of like shutting down but i'm not sure how it works but when you boot up, it goes to the original state before u shut it down. And it boots up increadably fast when it's hibernated. Maybe the stuff is stored in RAM..? but some how still there.

Finally, the visuals. When you first boot up wiht XP, the My Computer, My Doc, Recycle Bin, and Network are in the Start menu, and a separate drop for your programs. It all feels kind of wierd when you use it for the first few days but then you get the hang of it.

Oh, and i almost forgot, before you install, there's this thing onthe CD that scans through your hardware and drivers making sure it's compatable. Sure it takes a little while but it's worth it, and DO NOT ignore what it says, it will cause problems. I had to learn it the hard way:). Right now i'm back on 98 because my DSL software ver is a bit old and will not work with Windows XP. Hopfully Bell will come out with a patch once XP is fully released...

Overall, Windows XP is a mix of 2000 and ME (sortof) and one of MS's best work (besides from 3.1-95 but N E ways) and i really recommend you go out and buy it.

GET A RESERVATION AT YOUR LOCAL PC STORE OR RUSH IN AND GRAB A COPY ON THE 25TH OF OCT!! YOU WON'T REGRET IT!!
oh and MS is also has a $50 rebate for Win XP Pro, and Office XP; and a $100 rebate for Visio Pro 2002.

Flamebo
09-26-2001, 10:02 PM
Since more and more people are using permanent internet connections, XP has the ability to transfer all program registration info to the internet, and check when you install new programs. What this means is inability to install the same program on multiple computers without buying more copies. I'm not even going to get into how unfair and how many potential problems this will cause for the consumer...

Tbone
09-26-2001, 10:21 PM
I completely agree with you on that Flamebo, I think Microsoft went one step to far with this one.

FeelTheRT
09-29-2001, 01:46 PM
HA! YES! Finally got my DSL working with Windows XP. If anyone of yall use a PPPoE DSL connection, drop me an email to learn how to set it up.

JRSJKD
09-30-2001, 04:03 AM
I've got a couple of friends using Win XP and all of them have nothing but good things to say. I'm very excited to get a copy. There will be three versions available; XP-pro, XP-home and XP-pro "corporate" version. The corporate version will not have the "serial/reg numbers" so you will be able to install it on multiple computers. Not sure what the requirements to get the corporate version will be. As for MS going to far, well I not sure. I have friends who are sharing Win Xp corporate and have been sharing Office XP for 3 months now basically free. I'm sure this goes on all over the place all of the time. I sure people will take advantage of the system while they can but I can't fault MS for trying to make it harder for people to steal their software. While there will be lots of hassel for the consumer, especially the ones with mutiple computers in one home, I find it hard to be angry with MS. Maybe its people like my friends who are the problem. I hate to think that they're in the minority though. How many people here can honestly say they haven't gotten copies, upgrades, or completely new software from work, school, or friends? If I was Bill Gates I wouldn't want to be "giving" away my products either...............my 2 cents anyway.

J.R.

FeelTheRT
09-30-2001, 03:23 PM
hehe, two days ago one my computer had Win XP. Now, my whole network, and 9 of my friends have it using one CD Key :).

Tiny
09-30-2001, 03:31 PM
I will be putting XP on my computer tonight. I hope it is as good as it looks!

XspyX
09-30-2001, 05:26 PM
Kazaa is real handy for stuff like this...

Only 500megs...why else would I have broadband?

FeelTheRT
09-30-2001, 07:19 PM
aawww, warez, i'm telling. *raises hand*

Restola
09-30-2001, 08:29 PM
i dont know....something about dl'ing an OS is just weird.

JRSJKD
09-30-2001, 10:01 PM
You guys are so lucky.......I still have dial-up. Its painful just to check my email.

J.R.

FeelTheRT
10-01-2001, 03:24 PM
hehe.

XspyX
10-01-2001, 03:59 PM
Kazaa?

FelltheRT, tell me dammit, its going too slow on Kazaa.

FeelTheRT
10-01-2001, 05:13 PM
i replied your PM, i'll try to hook u up wiht copy.

evil
10-02-2001, 04:34 PM
microshaft stole mandrake!

FeelTheRT
10-02-2001, 08:41 PM
Microshaft Wablows 98

lol something i saw online the other day.

CDN_Drew
10-02-2001, 10:31 PM
I just got from work after finishing my first part of formal training on windows XP. I like what i see. I'm not big in the whole xp colour scheme and desktop but at least i can turn that off. They've taken 2000 and ME and blended them together and they actually did it right. As always M'soft already has 5 or 6 service packs to be released in the next couple of weeks and a warning to al of you using cracked versions of xp. On your first wnidows update you could run into a very big problem and find that your version is no longer cracked after the update.

FeelTheRT
10-03-2001, 06:05 PM
pfft, who's stupid enough to use a cracked OS? I've got my very own CD-Key :).

bornl33t
10-05-2001, 10:41 PM
I'm still liking all the new stuff ppl are making for linux and unix os's. The GUI are incredible, and the little x-tras like TCP dump etc. are soooo awsome. I wish game makers would realize the AWSOME potential of makeing their games run on alternate OS's. It would be MS's downfall. Because games are the only thing that is keeping windoze on my PC.

And thanks to T-bone for making win98 barable with litestep!

by the way, you might be using you're own CD key, but who is using you're key?

FeelTheRT
10-06-2001, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Heat
by the way, you might be using you're own CD key, but who is using you're key?

people that i burn copies for :).

XspyX
10-06-2001, 10:25 AM
Hook me Up

~Backdraft~
10-06-2001, 04:57 PM
Okay, I just downloaded windows xp on kazaa...I tried installing it today but when i click on the icon to install it says:

C:\windows\desktop\winxp.iso.exe is not a valid win32 application

So i don't know what I can do to install it on my computer. Is it because I downloaded it and so thats why I can't install it on my computer or what?...all i know is that it isn't workin the way i hoped it would! :confused: :confused:

FeelTheRT
10-06-2001, 05:48 PM
lol

I REALLY do not recommend DLing an OS from Kazaa... But try putting it on a CD and try installing it again, because later on, you have to restart and continue in a Safe Type of mode.

I'd seriously rather DL it from a warez site rather than getting it from some bum on Kazaa.

joeyjoe367
10-09-2001, 12:29 PM
I tried XP on my computer a few days ago also.

My comP:

AMD K6-2 350 Mhz
Voodoo 2 Banshee
128 mb Ram

... and the rest doesn't really matter.

XP was waaay too slow for me. I couldn't even watch a DivX movie on my computer cuz it was too choppy. Of course, that's not XP's problem, it's my POS computer.

And about D/Ling an OS... I don't think that's such a good Idea. I mean, for all you know, whoever turned it into a Warez hacked it and put in a "backdoor" so that he could get into your computer, etc.. etc...

With a lot of 24/7 connections these days, it's a real threat.

FeelTheRT
10-09-2001, 08:03 PM
lol dude, buy a new mobo w/ CPU. and get a GeForce2 400 MX which are $60 if u look hard.

joeyjoe367
10-09-2001, 11:07 PM
Heh, yeah I was thinking about gettin' some new stuff, but i really don't need it. All i do on my comp right now is surf, and watch DivX movies, burned for me by friends.

I don't plan on doing anything to my computer until I get a better Internet connection. Cable and verison DSL isn't available here, and Qwest wants a friggin' 2 year contract.

XspyX
10-14-2001, 12:46 PM
Yeee haaa

I got the hook up!

gimp
10-17-2001, 01:52 PM
The kid across the hall from me just bought a P4 1.6 ghz with 1.5 gigs of ram. I forget what kind, its the good stuff though. It has a geforce3 to. I believe it's a hercules one. That thing screams.

I use win2k pro, and I dont want to switch to xp. I love the hibernization thing (win2k has it too) I use that on my laptop all the time.

Mossman
10-17-2001, 05:44 PM
Ive been on XP for months now,(Well 2 maybe). I got it the day devilsown released it and its pretty impressive. It screwed up and i had to format once but..oh well, seems to be workin fine now.

WickeDKlowN
10-19-2001, 10:31 PM
is that even possible?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Mossman
10-19-2001, 10:40 PM
yep, 3 512mb sticks makes 1.5gbs. servers have gigabyte after gigabyte of ram (real big corportate servers)

If u downloaded an ISO adding an exe at the end doesnt make it a program, u gotta use ISO buster, or burn it with cd-r win or somethign to make it work

FeelTheRT
10-20-2001, 08:05 AM
god I hate Win XP! So buggy! It crashes when i try to install Tribes 2 and 1. Counter Strike screws up sometimes. And finally, it will not support my ATI Rage Fury MAXX at all! Sure it looks cooler but i think i'll be switching back to 2000 or 98.

gimp
10-21-2001, 12:12 AM
yeah! 2000! I dont like xp. yeah, that machine with 1.5 gigs of ram is mostly used as a server. He was thinking about storing the operating system in the ram. That would be sweet.