PDA

View Full Version : sound board problems

Cheeseball24
03-21-2004, 09:07 PM
ok here the deal, i think something up with my sound board/card/whatever

Somebody unplugged the speakers from the port and plugged in headphones instead. No big deal, i do this fairly often. However, this time they got no sound, so they tried plugging the speakers back in, and now they aren't working either. There's nothing wrong with the speakers or the headphones because they both work fine from my stereo. The volume is also turned all the way up on my computer. Anybody have an idea? Thanks

p.s I have an onboard sound board

MarkM
03-22-2004, 12:56 PM
You say somebody? Was this somebody all alone on your pc surfing the net etc? As they may have been doing all kinds of stuff, it is unlikely that they switched your sound off so unless they went into your bios and disabled to onboard sound off. One of four things could have happened.
1. Your on board sound has died (could have happened)
2. A Virus is on your pc that has turned the sound off
3. A new piece of software/hardware has been installed that is causing a conflict with the sound. (possible download of something doesn't always mean a virus)
4. Windows has just decided it has forgotten it has sound..(pretty possible and reasonably common)

You will have to go into the bios to see if your on board sound is enabled...you can go to My computer on your desktop and look for devices (or device manager) to see if there is an ! against the sound as a quick check and then if a ! is there you know something is up. Either a look in the bios to re-enable it or delete the sound altogether do a restart and reinstall the sound drivers should get you going again.