PDA

View Full Version : Just finished watching 'Enterprise'

Xzion
09-26-2001, 11:03 PM
Just got finished watching the premire episode of Star Trek Enterprise, its very kewl, it seems to have lost the 'Star Trek feel' though, it seems more military oriented and cold to me... but thats not really a bad thing, I'll just kinda miss the old 'warm' feeling its predecessors had. but overall, I loved it... what do the rest of the Star Trek fans of AO think about the new series?

Arturus
09-26-2001, 11:10 PM
I can rip it apart, and point to every little detail and aspect of the pilot that I didn't like.

But... I loved it. Why? It's Star Trek.

It's the Enterprise.

Xzion
09-26-2001, 11:20 PM
I know EXACTLY what you mean... it was awsome, guess we'll just have to get use ti it... hopefully it will grow on me like Voyager did :)

Gunga
09-27-2001, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Xzion
Just got finished watching the premire episode of Star Trek Enterprise, its very kewl, it seems to have lost the 'Star Trek feel' though, it seems more military oriented and cold to me... but thats not really a bad thing, I'll just kinda miss the old 'warm' feeling its predecessors had. but overall, I loved it... what do the rest of the Star Trek fans of AO think about the new series?

Welp, I liked it...T'Pol sure is a whole lot better to look at than Spock! ;)

As for the military feel, it makes sense. the military gets all the cool, latest-greatest toys. :) Also, as the first 'real'/non-prototype warp capable ship, I imagine that they'd be more concened with functionality than making the interior all pretty/family oriented/comfy like the Enterprise-D of Next Gen fame. More mass=more power needed, and with an early warp drive, I would guess that power is at a premium.

Oh, did I mention that T'Pol is Smmmmmmmooooooooooooookin' hot and is on the cover of Maxim this month? ;)

And it sucks that UPN isn't available on DirecTV!!!!! Had to break out the old rabbit ears! BAH!!

joeyjoe367
09-27-2001, 01:33 PM
Hey all! It's nice to know that there are some other star-trek watchers around.

Anyway I liked it a ton. There's not so much techno-babble as there are in the previous series' (which i don't really mind). The characters seem pretty cool so far; Yes, T'pol is hot (Imagines gel-decon scene... droool....)

What I really like about this series is that there's that it gives the other series' a place to start. Yes, First contact does explain how Cochran came up with warp drive, but inbetween there and the Origeonal series, there's a big blank spot where I kinda wondered what happened.

Anyway, remember the scene where Archer gets shot in the leg? I was thinking "Dude, that's totally a speedball-like setup! I could totally play that!"

lol... i was half expecting them to start snap-shooting :)

Jeb_Hoge
09-27-2001, 02:39 PM
That shootout was very paintballesque...aliens sliding into cover and all. I liked the show. There's this neat sense of uncertainty to the characters that's never been there in Trek before (where all the stuff always works and they know how to do EVERYTHING). Should be fun.

Miscue
09-27-2001, 02:41 PM
Hmm, I missed it. Are they going to show it again?

zvanut
09-27-2001, 03:03 PM
Im not a fan, but if i am thinking right i would beliexe Tom is 1.

Gunga
09-27-2001, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by zvanut
Im not a fan, but if i am thinking right i would beliexe Tom is 1.

Yeah, TK's a Star Trek fan. The 'Warp' Feed is an example of his fanaticism in regards to Star Trek. Though if I remember right, he's more a fan of the original series than the newer stuff.

rifleman
09-27-2001, 07:47 PM
Ya...new star treks usually give that cold feeling...but it usually warms up. :)

adam

Flamebo
09-27-2001, 08:08 PM
It's been a space soap-opera for years. It's definitley not the same.

Xzion
09-28-2001, 12:31 AM
Is it just me, or did anyone else expect 'Al' from Quantum Leap to pop up somewhere in the pilot of Enterprise, I think they should give him a cameo SOMEWHERE in the series, just imagine what sort of 'alien' hey could play lol... especially if he kept most of 'Al's' personality lol :D

Oh, and if im not mistaken, it will air again on 'Space' on Sep 30th at 8:00 PM EST. I know im gonna watch it again :D

joeyjoe367
09-28-2001, 12:59 PM
I forgot to mention another thing that I thought that was differant: The Opening music.

In EVERY series/movie that I can think of, there's never been vocals of any sort. That was kind of a big change for me, just because that's the way that it's always been.

Anyone know what song that is? or if it was made just for 'Enterprise'

Arturus
09-28-2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by joeyjoe367
I forgot to mention another thing that I thought that was differant: The Opening music.

In EVERY series/movie that I can think of, there's never been vocals of any sort. That was kind of a big change for me, just because that's the way that it's always been.

Anyone know what song that is? or if it was made just for 'Enterprise'

It wasn't made just for the Enterprise, although they did have someone sing it again for the show. I think Rod Stewart sang the original (or was it Rod Stewart that sang the remake of the song for the movie).

The song was made specifically for the movie Patch Adams to my knowledge. It was different... some found it refreshing, other's found it distatesful and without 'class'...

InfinatyBPS
09-28-2001, 08:49 PM
It's funny watching all the dermal regenerators and micro surgery then watching them using leaches and stuff lol. It did have a different atmospheres than all the other Star Treks. I am realy sad that voyager is over :( That was my fav show. Im gonna miss getting to see them exploring new worlds and running into new problems, always wondering if they will get home. Oh well. *sigh* memories... Well hopefully the crew of Enterprise can take the place in my heart that Voyager's crew left. But realy the show seems pretty cool, just kinda boring knowing they will always have a home to goto and be safe unlike Voyager.

Temo Vryce
10-03-2001, 08:53 AM
Personally I think that the show was very well done but I do have a couple of issues with the show. On a few occations somethings were a little too high tech as compared to what the orginal show had. You think that they would have tried to use similar technology. More switches and buttons and less touch screen panels. Not to mention that it would have been nice if the Enterprise had been shaped a little more like the orginal. For expample there was no deflector dish in the saucer section it was in the main body and it was shaped more like a satalite dish. All in all I think that it's going to be a good series. It would be hard to do worse than DS9, which wasn't very good IMO. I was impressed with the story that they started the series with, and hopefully they can continue to do just as well through the rest of the season.

Arturus
10-03-2001, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by InfinatyBPS
It's funny watching all the dermal regenerators and micro surgery then watching them using leaches and stuff lol. It did have a different atmospheres than all the other Star Treks. I am realy sad that voyager is over :( That was my fav show. Im gonna miss getting to see them exploring new worlds and running into new problems, always wondering if they will get home. Oh well. *sigh* memories... Well hopefully the crew of Enterprise can take the place in my heart that Voyager's crew left. But realy the show seems pretty cool, just kinda boring knowing they will always have a home to goto and be safe unlike Voyager.

That really depends on perspective. :)

You can say the Voyager crew is deathly boring. Why? They already know the procedures to deal with, well documented by the others in the past. Precedents set on issues of first contact as well as the Prime directive, by those before - such as Captain Archer and Kirk, and so forth. Sure they're lost, but they know the direction their heading in and their technology to deal with events are much superior compared to that of the Enterprise.

Now Captain Archer and his crew on the other hand, are practically babes in space. The Federation is at it's birth and... well... you fill in the space. Oh yeah, 'toys' vulcan children play have more capability than the scanners on their ship. Give it a chance, and you'll love it. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll have Voyager reruns on somewhere. :p

Jeb_Hoge
10-04-2001, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Arturus

That really depends on perspective. :)

You can say the Voyager crew is deathly boring. Why? They already know the procedures to deal with, well documented by the others in the past. Precedents set on issues of first contact as well as the Prime directive, by those before - such as Captain Archer and Kirk, and so forth. Sure they're lost, but they know the direction their heading in and their technology to deal with events are much superior compared to that of the Enterprise.

Now Captain Archer and his crew on the other hand, are practically babes in space. The Federation is at it's birth and... well... you fill in the space. Oh yeah, 'toys' vulcan children play have more capability than the scanners on their ship. Give it a chance, and you'll love it. Otherwise, I'm sure they'll have Voyager reruns on somewhere. :p

Yeah, but part of the fun of Voyager was watching all the ways that Janeway would either rigidly enforce or totally blow the existing procedures. "Prime directive? Not this week, bucko..."

Babes in space...yeah, truer words were never spoken. Pass me the decon gel, T'Pol...

virus
10-04-2001, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Temo Vryce
Personally I think that the show was very well done but I do have a couple of issues with the show. On a few occations somethings were a little too high tech as compared to what the orginal show had. You think that they would have tried to use similar technology. More switches and buttons and less touch screen panels. Not to mention that it would have been nice if the Enterprise had been shaped a little more like the orginal. For expample there was no deflector dish in the saucer section it was in the main body and it was shaped more like a satalite dish. All in all I think that it's going to be a good series. It would be hard to do worse than DS9, which wasn't very good IMO. I was impressed with the story that they started the series with, and hopefully they can continue to do just as well through the rest of the season.

as far as the need more button and switches thing goes... back in the 60's when the orignal was made touch screens were not something that people thought about as everything in life at that time....
look at the comm links they had back then.... little hand held devices that let you talk over great distances.... now we have that in this day and age.... to us they are cell phones... again on the tough screen issue... look at the cash registers at micky d's, burgerking, most supermarkets... they are either touch screens or use very low profile buttons.... so for them to use buttons and switches in this series, when the tech we have now would beat it out would not be as beliveable... where as for the 60's it seemed just fine for that simpler time in history....

ok enough babble out of me

Xzion
10-04-2001, 01:04 PM
You can always pick out the true Star Trek fans when they begin to analyze every little detail about the shows... but, then again, isnt that half the fun of watching them in the first place? :D

Arturus
10-04-2001, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Jeb_Hoge

Yeah, but part of the fun of Voyager was watching all the ways that Janeway would either rigidly enforce or totally blow the existing procedures. "Prime directive? Not this week, bucko..."

Babes in space...yeah, truer words were never spoken. Pass me the decon gel, T'Pol...

True... *grins*

When I posted my last comments, I thought about writing a page or two on why Voyager was never so 'loved' by so many of our fans, but then I chose not too. Simple reason really. Too lazy.

Keep in mind though, I did think it was a decent show. Good concept. I'll leave it at that.

And did I say babes? Oops... :cool:

adam68c
10-05-2001, 01:38 AM
I dont like any startreks. I watched one a couple of years ago and couldnt stand it. I dont know why it just seemed stupid.Maybe because it was the first one i saw and i didnt know any of the story line but to me it just seemed irrataing.Stupid TNNs always pushting it. They have this thing like an interview where they discuss captian picards life. If he liked being the captain or that he would of rather of had kids and went on with the family buisness of making wine.They were making like its real and they always show it. it pisses me off.I guess i would have to watch it more to get in to it and understand it better to actually like it.

Xzion
10-05-2001, 02:39 AM
I use to be the smae way, Loved Star Wars, but couldnt get into Star Trek, until I finally broke down and gave it a real chance, I watched it every once in a while, and slowly, as I learnt more about the shows, and understood the technology, I began to like it more and more, now I watch Star Trek when ever I can, its awsome! WOOO HOOO! though, I still love Star Wars just as much... the whole "Star Trek vs. Star Wars" thing is dumb, both are awsome, as far as Im concerned, each has its own good aspects. Just give it time, and you'll become obsessed like lots of other people :D