PDA

View Full Version : I am not prepared for the second coming of Jesus (aka, Half-Life 2)

nippinout
03-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I have a 600mhz computer with no chassis fan. It's spray painted gold. I have a GeForce2 SDR only because my GeForce SDR burned out last year.

I need a computer from the future to play HL2.

I bought HL in 2000 only because of Counter-Strike. I've only played the actual HL game for like 15 minutes.

This weekend I will play HL again and must beat it before purchasing my computer from the future and HL2.

So who's actually beaten HL?

DOOM III will be cool too.

lew
03-22-2004, 07:10 PM
I've beaten Half Life at least 5 times and I've done it in all difficulty levels. What a fun game. Half Life Opposing Force was the perfect addition, too. Oh yeah, beat that as well.

Lone Wolf2
03-22-2004, 07:12 PM
dang,u needa new comp.

nippinout
03-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Lone Wolf2
dang,u needa new comp.

Like I said, computer from the future.

People have video cards that have 4 times more memory than I have system memory. LOL

Python14
03-22-2004, 07:26 PM
I've beat half-life probably a dozen times. It is one of my favorite games of the millenium.

What are the recommended requirements for HL2?

Krazy Ivan
03-22-2004, 07:37 PM
I just built my comp for around $500,

I bought for it:
Antec Case (the one that Alienware used for their first machines)
250gig Maxtor Drive
2700+ Amd
a7n8x e-deluxe Asus Motherboard
-Has Serial ATA, 6 channel sound, ddr 400 dual channel support, AGP 8x, and other coo stuff built in
Radeon 9600XT
2x 256 ddr 400 strips in the dual channel memory slots
400 watt Power Supply

I had:
100 gig hard drive
Cd Burner

I could prolly look into building another if you need. I can work up how much it would cost then email you.

nippinout
03-22-2004, 07:40 PM
What are the recommended requirements for HL2? [/B][/QUOTE]

Computer from the future.

They were running the game real time doing some tech demos and gameplay demos at last year's E3.

So I assume if you have a decent computer now, you should be able to run it okay when it is released. It was supposed to be released (I've forgotten the date) sometime but they had the whole fiasco with some source code being stolen.

FalconGuy016
03-22-2004, 08:20 PM
<i>How can you have not played and finished Half Life?</i>

Communist

PyRo
03-22-2004, 08:40 PM
Half life, opposing force, and blueshift all on hard.

Blueshift is a freaking joke.

Sparq
03-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by PyRo
Half life, opposing force, and blueshift all on hard.

Blueshift is a freaking joke.

Ditto. I must have played HL start to finish 10 or 15 times now. Also played They Hunger...the zombie mod. I have to agree about Blue Shift....it is quite possibly the easiest FPS in history.

Half-Life is the best game of all time in my books. Only HL2 can (WILL! ...I hope) surpass it.

mjs1217
03-22-2004, 09:11 PM
nippinout, I currently have an eMachines T2825, but they stopped making that model a few weeks (maybe two months, max) ago. I would highly reccamend an eMachines with either the AMD Athlon XP 3000 or the Athlon XP 3200 if your on a low budget. I know that there's alot of eMachines-haters out there, and with just cause because eMachines used to be horrible. But, since buying my computer, I haven't had any problems at all (knock on wood).
I use my computer for almost everything, from gaming (Halo, Raven Shield, Quake 3, and eventually Halflife 2 and Doom 3), and I think that it does a great job. However, soon I'm gonna buy a new video card, because this one has an onboard one that is okay, but not great for gaming.

Hope that helps,
-mjs

Oh, almost forgot: WARNING: It is a well known FACT that eMachines tech support is EXTREMELY bad. Only buy one of these if you don't count on needing tech support.

Bluestrike_2
03-22-2004, 09:46 PM
you need a Mac.

www.xvsxp.com

Now, any more excuses?

spazzed
03-23-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Bluestrike_2
you need a Mac.

www.xvsxp.com

Now, any more excuses?

Waiting on anything not older than 10 years to be ported is teh suck :)

Need anymore? :cool:

painball
03-23-2004, 12:12 PM
I have never finished HL. I just cannot stand singleplayer games most of the time. The only games I ever play anymore are multiplayer.

I cannot wait for HL2. I have a nice new PC put together:

Asus A78NX mobo
AMD 2500+ (unlocked :D)
9800 Pro
1 Gig PC3200 corsair RAM
19" CRT :cool:
Logitech MX Duo wireless mouse & keyboard
80GB HD

I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready.

bunkermaster10
03-23-2004, 02:06 PM
Some of you think you got it bad. I got a stock Compaq w/ 450 mhz :eek: . I always have a 2:1 ratio or bettter to w/ this crappy thing. When I play on my sisters 2.6Gig computer its on like donkey kong, talk about HS city.

Krazy Ivan
03-23-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by painball

I cannot wait for HL2. I have a nice new PC put together:

Asus A7N8X mobo
AMD 2500+ (unlocked :D)

Fixed your motherboard model :p and what do you mean by unlocked?

painball
03-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Heh. I always mess that up. By unlocked I mean that AMD has started locking the 2500+'s, which makes them harder to OC. You cannot change the multiplier on the locked ones. I got lucky and caught an unlocked one. :D

RoadDawg
03-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by nippinout

Like I said, computer from the future.

People have video cards that have 4 times more memory than I have system memory. LOL

My old computer, which was used til I got one donated to me 3 or 4 weeks ago, was a 133mhz pentium 1. Now I didn't care til I looked deeply into the PS2/Xbox stats. Talk about a bummer.

Rooster
03-23-2004, 04:54 PM
"Now, any more excuses? "

Its a proprietary hunk of crap. Do I need more?

Alux
03-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Krazy Ivan
I just built my comp for around $500,

I bought for it:
Antec Case (the one that Alienware used for their first machines)
250gig Maxtor Drive
2700+ Amd
a7n8x e-deluxe Asus Motherboard
-Has Serial ATA, 6 channel sound, ddr 400 dual channel support, AGP 8x, and other coo stuff built in
Radeon 9600XT
2x 256 ddr 400 strips in the dual channel memory slots
400 watt Power Supply

I had:
100 gig hard drive
Cd Burner

I could prolly look into building another if you need. I can work up how much it would cost then email you.

Links on where you got such awesome deals?

Krazy Ivan
03-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Can't link it cause I work for a computer building company. I got the deals through my boss' connections. I would have to go through him to grab more parts.

ASDadam
03-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Not to Hijack, but Krazy, could you price me an comp, don't need a HD or any CD drives. Only the case, CPU, RAM and maybe a better Vid, i run a 5200 Ultra right now. Rather do an AMD.

PyRo
03-23-2004, 09:28 PM
I would have just run through blue shift in about 80 minutes, but the damn guy wouldn't go through the transport.

Krazy Ivan
03-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Duder, pm me with details on what you'd be looking for. Better not to cloud up the thread.

Automaggin2
03-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Build your own

or

www.ibuypower.com

Fred
03-24-2004, 12:51 PM
I've had nothing but problems with Emachines... great word processors, but try anything else and you're hosed.

Currently I swear by Sony's Vaio models... I have two set up as video editing suites and they rock, and play games very well.

I wish I could find a workstation like this one i have at school though... dual Xeon 1.6 ghz... gig of ram... 100gig hd... and video power to share...

I can be rendering on one processor, and play a game using resources from the other... :)

I will be avoiding HL2 like the plague... If i start I'll NEVER graduate this summer... :D

---Fred

hockaloogey
03-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Half Life and Opposing Force ~ never bought the other ones...

i won't be able to play HL2 w/ this damned slow computer from hell... so STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!!! :mad:

hockaloogey
03-24-2004, 07:57 PM
the end is stupid, you get to hear the guy i've been wasting bullets on the whole game jab for 5 minutes then you get a choice: join them or die... either way sucks. either hear it say you're hired or see a bunch of aliens surrounding you...

PyRo
03-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Dell is the failsafe, good computers but overpriced.

Sparq
03-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by hockaloogey
the end is stupid, you get to hear the guy i've been wasting bullets on the whole game jab for 5 minutes then you get a choice: join them or die... either way sucks. either hear it say you're hired or see a bunch of aliens surrounding you...

Yes...you either work for G-Man, or he eliminates you. What's stupid about that? Seems to fit his whole 'insidious above the law black ops mysterious government guy' character perfectly. OpFor ends in a similar manner, but you get no choice. The thing is, it does reveal a war of some kind between government forces and the aliens of Xen. Blue shift was just bad...you escape with a few scientists, and that's it.

The thing I love about half-life is that they managed to take the standard, cliched 'alien invasion', 'science gone wrong', and 'government conspiracy' concepts and turn them into a game that didn't come across as particularly tired or corny.

Jonneh
03-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Anyone who hasn't already, download and play Poke646 (http://www.poke646.com/), it's a fantasic single player mod, that, rather refreshingly tacks onto the side of the regular half life story. Also rather impressively, the entire thing was done by one guy in his spare time. Go play it you fools!

PyRo
03-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Anyone play the warm apple pie version of half life? :)

Buff
03-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Hey, whoever is buying there motherboards, get something better then the A7N8X
I own the A7N8X, NF7, and AN35U.
The NF7 is hands down better and faster.

My current rig

NF7
AXP2500+M at 232x10.5=2435
2x256mb BH-5 2-2-2-11 DC
9800@ 470/300
and various hdd's and cd drives.

Bluestrike_2
03-25-2004, 06:25 PM
I will be the first to admit that, except for a few games, that Mac's are not gaming machines. I am a creative professional(Photographer, Graphics Designer) and I would not trade my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 ghz processor, 2gb RAM for the world. There is a reason why 95% of the creative world uses a Mac. I also own a Windows XP system. XP cannot compare for my demanding work. The Windows system is not ****ty mass-manufactured, no-name internals, Dell. So, would you like to edit my 100gb+ Drum Scans)(Large Format Cameras) on your Wintel machine? No, I didn't think so...

In conclusion, Macs beat Wintel boxes for the creative professional, but not for gaming(too small variety of games). Just because they don't have as large as a market share as Windows, does that mean it is not as good. ****, I guess I better sell that new BMW...

For those of you who think that these machines are overpriced, it's just not true -- equipping a Dell machine with similar specs will run at least what Apple is asking, if not more (when I tried it, I came out with a $4K-ish PowerMac and a $4.5K-ish Dell). And if you happen to have a spare $5.2million lying around, why not buy 1,100 Dual G5s, cluster them, and build yourself an economical top-five ranked (17.6 terraflops) supercomputer!
http://www.macosxhints.com/g5/index.htm

Why did Virgina Tech. purchase 1,100 G5's(same unit I have, just 1.5 gb less ram/unit)and cluster them. Why not use Dell's or Gateways? Or any other Windows box?

First, I'll start with the obvious. Spending $3,000 on a Dual G5 just to play games is not a wise use of money. If all you want to do is play games, then an Xbox, Playstation 2, or even a homebuilt PC would all be much wiser choices. With that said, the dual G5 makes an excellent gaming platform, especially when equipped with the top-of-the-line ATI 9800 Pro. This 128mb card is one of the fastest cards available, and its performance in the G5 was mostly flawless (see details below).

GO HERE FOR INFO ABOUT THE TERASCALE CLUSTER!!!

http://computing.vt.edu/research_computing/terascale/pressrelease.html
http://www.apple.com/education/science/profiles/vatech/
One hell of a cheap supercomputer, Ranked NUMBER 5 IN THE WORLD!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Go to http://store.apple.com/

Click on "Software" under "Third Party Products" There are where the games, etc. will be.

trevorjk
03-26-2004, 04:14 AM
www.newegg.com

Buff
03-26-2004, 09:02 AM
hey Blue, ever hear of a opteron 248 rig? two 2.2ghz Opterons.....
dont mean to bash G5's, but the 248's are faster. And no, this is not a guessing thing, the G5 and opteron are actually very similar in design,except the Opteron is cheaper and faster:D
I have seen the performace differences, close, but the opteron wins......

PyRo
03-26-2004, 10:15 AM
This poke thing is pretty good, try it.

AssassN
03-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by PyRo
Dell is the failsafe, good computers but overpriced.

My Dell was nothing but problems, it didn't play games randomly, it turned itself off, sometimes it wouldnt turn on, sometimes the monitor wouldnt turn on. It had RAMBUS memory which is EXPENSIVE to upgrade. My only complaiment to Dell was their fast responding customer service that unfortunatly never really helped. They came out once and "fixed" it but the next day it was messing up again.

My friend got a Dell as I was getting mine and had similar problems. I would stay away from them. Just build your own.

painball
03-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Dell = crap

If you want a nice, fast, cheap PC then build it yourself. It is also a good learning experience when you put it together yourself. ;)

PyRo
03-26-2004, 07:55 PM
I agree putting it together yourself is good, but if your too lazy or have no idea what your doing I think dell is the best. I have very few problems with mine.

Bluestrike_2
03-26-2004, 09:06 PM
hate to break it to you, but a pricegrabber-check shows the cheapest Opteron's at $890. Multiply by 2. $1780 for the processors alone. Also, remember that 2 Ghz on a Mac is diferent that 2 Ghz on a Windows machine.

Price Example for the Opteron:

http://www.gamepc.com/shop/systemfamily.asp?family=ws4u&cookie%5Ftest=1

Besides, I configured a similair Dell workstation, and it is MUCH more expensive. But don't take my word for it, research it! Besides, the OS is a much smoother interface. And do you really want to have all of those viruses able to infect your PC?

In the end it's a choice that depends on your needs and opinions

fire1811
03-26-2004, 09:41 PM
my new comp should be here next week :D

Case: Alienware Full-Tower Case (420-Watt PS) - Space Black
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with HT Technology Extreme Edition 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB 2.5MB Cache - Limited Availability
Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe - Intel 875P Motherboard
Memory: 2GB Corsair DDR SDRAM PC-3200 - 4 x 512MB Module
Video Card: ATI RADEON™ 9800 XT 256MB 8x AGP w/DVI & S-Video
Video Cooling: AlienIce™ Video Cooling System - Fusion Red
System Drive:RAID-0 74GB Western Digital Raptor Serial ATA 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache
Storage Drive: 74GB Western Digital Raptor Serial ATA 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache
Optical Drive One: 16x DVD-ROM - Black w/Software MPEG-2 Decoder
Optical Drive Two: Plextor PX-708A 8x DVD±R/W Drive - Black
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy 2 ZS - 7.1
Network Card: Integrated Intel Pro/1000 CT Gigabit Ethernet Adapter w/CSA
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional