PDA

View Full Version : Bouncy

Wolfen
03-22-2004, 10:38 PM
I was thinking of something when pondering the perceived differences between a Mag and a Cocker in terms of kick and what they think is "better range" that they get with Cockers.

The Mag is a blow forward bolt, so wouldn't that force the front of the gun downwards a bit, making it look like it doesn't get as much range as compared to a blowback, which would force the gun back?

I know there's no real difference between the two in terms of velocity and all that, but wouldn't the perceived differences be due to the slight kick that most (if not all) markers have?

CaliMagFan
03-23-2004, 01:14 AM
a logical conjecture, indeed. kudos.

frenchman309
03-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Definately a good point. I never thought of it like that before. It makes sense to me.

Duck Hunt
03-23-2004, 01:40 AM
Clamp any 2 guns down in a vice and fire them, same level, same PSI, same bore sizing and ball.

There is logic behind your statement, but you have to realize there are still many variables. The shooters movement, wind, PSI and all that crap.

Sean

TransMan
03-23-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Duck Hunt
Clamp any 2 guns down in a vice and fire them, same level, same PSI, same bore sizing and ball.

There is logic behind your statement, but you have to realize there are still many variables. The shooters movement, wind, PSI and all that crap.

Sean
If you put the two guns in a vice then the movement when fireing wouldnt matter so there wouldnt be any difference. But how many people do you know that go around a paintball field with a work bench and a vice? ;)

Head knight of Ni
03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
The tanks and hoppers weight counter balance this so blowbacks are inaccurate. IMO

Ratzo
03-23-2004, 10:31 AM
I have a problem with you theory.
In most all markers the bolt comes flying forward wether it is gas driven or spring driven.
Then it is returned in a similar fashion.
The resiprocating mass of the moving parts and its sudden stop at the end of it's travel is the general cause for the markers kick.
The ways to reduce kick is the decrease the weight of the moving parts and the force needed to move these parts in either direction.
As I understand the operation of Electro Pneums is that you have a light weight bolt being moved for and aft with very little pressure.
This decrease in resiprocating mass meant that they could use less force to advance and return the bolt which in turn cut out much of the kick.

Major Jam
03-23-2004, 11:49 AM
http://www.paintballradio.com/tech_tips/PBR_Toms_Tip_gun_kick.mp3

Duck Hunt
03-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by TransMan

If you put the two guns in a vice then the movement when fireing wouldnt matter so there wouldnt be any difference. But how many people do you know that go around a paintball field with a work bench and a vice? ;)

Yes....hence the variables I mentioned. Clamping down markers is the only accurate way to measure which one shoots farther....

Sean

Wolfen
03-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Major Jam
http://www.paintballradio.com/tech_tips/PBR_Toms_Tip_gun_kick.mp3

Good find, that was pretty interesting, but my argument isn't about accuracy. I understand all the factors around that. My argument is about why there is a perceived difference in range between a Cocker and a Mag, when really there is none.

Originally posted by Ratzo
As I understand the operation of Electro Pneums is that you have a light weight bolt being moved for and aft with very little pressure.
This decrease in resiprocating mass meant that they could use less force to advance and return the bolt which in turn cut out much of the kick.

As for the Electros, I've never really heard any rumors about an Angel or an Imp having better range over any gun, so I'm pretty sure the range issue is only limited to mechanical markers, though I could be wrong. Only arguments I've heard with respect to Electros is the whole "I can get 20 billion shots out of a 68/3000 with XX marker at 50 bps!" ;)

Originally posted by Head knight of Ni
The tanks and hoppers weight counter balance this so blowbacks are inaccurate. IMO

As for the tanks and hoppers, you would think the tank, if not using a drop, would pull the back of the marker down a little more with the weight. I don't think there would be enough weight in the hopper to counteract that. But with a blow forward, if the front of the marker really is kicked downward, the tank would counteract it a bit. But then the weight of the hopper would come into a little more of an effect here.