PDA

View Full Version : A "Stock Class" Connundrum (Just an odd observation)

Tyger
03-23-2004, 05:32 AM
So I was "invited" this weekend to a small pseudo AO-get-together (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130466) at a field called "Badlandz". I'm thinking of going, but I'm watching my money so I can get to Castle this April. So I'll play with my Phantom set up for SC. Badlands is a BYOP field, so that's a bonus.

So I look at the prices, and it hits me. It's going to cost me more for walk-on game FIELD FEE than it will for PAINT. $25 field fee. And I can get decent "Mass market" paint for $6 per 100, or $15 for 500 Marbs. $20 if I go to Galyans for it.

Big games, that's not a problem becasue there's a sense of occasion. But Walk on? On a normal weekend? Does this seem silly to anyone else?

-Tyger

Brophog
03-23-2004, 06:11 AM
That's a pretty healthy field fee there, that's for sure.

RusskiX
03-23-2004, 06:45 AM
Of course its a conundrum...for the field owners too!

If you give the option of BYOP, there goes most of your revenue source. So the field fee and air need to make the difference of your operating costs.

Yes its the curse of BYOP. If you want clean, organized, safe fields, the players are going to have to pay for it one way or another. Tyger, I'm sure you have read Blue's "Field Paint Only Policy" at www.emrpaintball.com for verification of this truth.;)

Tyger
03-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by RusskiX
Of course its a conundrum...for the field owners too!

Oh, I know. And I don't have a proble with FPO fields. Most of them around the Midwest are. Even if I bought 200 rounds from the field (and in the back of my mind I don't think they even SELL it in 100 bags anymore...), or at their store before I go to the field, I'll still spend $20 max on paint.

I just find it weird to spend more on the field fee than paint. It's like paying 5 cents for a Coke, but $1 for the can it comes in...

-Tyger

Head knight of Ni
03-23-2004, 09:22 AM
My local field doesn't check for your field fee unless you rent.:D But 25 dollars is a little ridiculous makes 11 dollars for my field bearable.:p

Doobie
03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
I guess it would all depend on who is attending. Are there going to be people you are friends with at this meet? Are they people you don't see often? Will the "good time" be worth it? If it is a bunch of AOer...I say yes. :D

pointm@n
03-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Yeah that's a high field fee, even if it is BYOP. Does that include all day air? if it's all day air, i can see how that is better for someone running CA. that it no way helps the guys running SC though...

I go to Pevs and it's $15 entrance fee, $10 for all day air and BYOP or you can buy thier paint $50-$65 a case. You can get even cheaper field fees by buying a 10pack of entrance fees and then it turns into $7.50 (10 pack for $75).

Spaceman613
03-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Skip Badlandz, come to Tattoo's party. Play a lil stock class (a lot of us will be) and just have some fun.

chairman_mao
03-23-2004, 10:29 AM
$25 is what I pay ever time I play at a field. Granted it usually includes al day air but not always. Some of these fields are FPO too and the paint is rediculous prices.

Dryden
03-23-2004, 10:32 AM
I don't think a high field fee ($20+) is rediculous provided you're given the option of BYOP and are offered all day air. To put this in perspective, lane fees at a bowling alley for three or four games plus shoe rental will typically set you back $20 or more, so the way I view it is, if you're given the opportunity to use their facilities at $3 to $4 per hour, fine - it's inline with most other "athletic" facilites, and likely still a lot lower.

The reality is, these field operators need a revenue stream to stay in business. I'd rather pay a premium to a good field to keep it in business than only drop a few bucks at a field that's just a step up from renegade play that won't be open two years from now.

GTakacs
03-23-2004, 10:41 AM
I really don't get what the whining is about. Here in DFW, you will not find any field that is under $20 for field fee, BYOP + all day air. Most of them are $30+ actually.

I find $30+ pretty pricey, but $20 for a day with air and BYOP fee I would consider fair.

Spaceman613
03-23-2004, 10:52 AM
but why should he be forced to pay for all day air when he is using 12grams?

I like the 2 step entry fees. lower price for no air included or higher with all day air.

Tyger
03-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Don't worry, I'm still planning on being a Tattoo's party. Get me the chronic, eh! I'm just using Sunday as warmup for the real competition....

-Tyger

Spaceman613
03-23-2004, 11:09 AM
Ill call about the chronic price for ya. Used some this weekend against the Griefers... Good schtuff. Fit the .688 boomer perfectly, and fits a stock phantom tube just as nice.

Looks like we will have a nice group for his bash. New pumpers, old pumpers, and everything in between.

Looks like

Tyger
Spaceman
Cricket
Ken (from K&P)
tattoo (duh)
DoghouseDan
Klatt
Shane-O-Mac
Have Blue
Farmland Paintball

and many many more

xXHavokXx
03-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Ok, most fields in my area are BYOP but dont charge you to use your own paint. Actually i can only think of one and its an old school woods place so i guess that makes sense.

Ill never understand how the rest of the country operates, why is everything so cheap here and so expensive towards the east

Heebs
03-23-2004, 12:27 PM
"It's like paying 5 cents for a Coke, but $1 for the can it comes in..."

Actually thats what you mostly are paying for when you buy a coke, the cost of processing the aluminium so that it wont oxidize. Yay for electrochemistry.

Heebs

nippinout
03-23-2004, 01:32 PM
It's Chicago.

They like to rip you off.

I used to play at Operation Paintball exclusively, but now I will play at Fox River Games, they have BYOP for 2004. YAHOO!

All the FPO fields in the area have cases around $100-$110. EEK!

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-23-2004, 04:52 PM
lol tyger ur goin with us to "AO-IL DAY IV" this sunday with all of us?

Maybe i can show off my warped, laser sited, scoped, tactical flashlighted, stocked, snipered, bi-podded, remote lined, fully pimped out WGP Ranger

whizbop
03-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately the prices do not seem that silly. Here in Southern California we have a relatively large selection of paintball fields, at least 10 within a 1 hour driving distance from my condo. With that variety we get just about every level of service and field conditions that you can imagine. From movie set fields and safety videos at Hollywood Sports, and the Helicopters RV's, Taxi's and incredible speedball at SC. To the 2-portapotty, no food havin Camp Pendleton, and 1 room mud-filled, no reffing no chronoing Friendly Fire Indoor.

Even with all this competition, the prices do not vary by much. They are all within the $20 range, with the poorer facilities on the lower end ($12), and the better maintained and staffed facilities on the higher end ($25 plus $10 air). These field owners are out to make a profit after paying for all of their overhead, and I see $20 for a full day as a very affordable price point considering how much money I have already invested into equipment and paint.

I am just glad that the prices haven't gone up. Just look at prices just to get you in the door for other activities in my area.

Disneyland - $47
Golf Course - $20 - $60 green fees (unless you want to play on a 3 par city course that looks like a mad-max warzone)
Snowboarding - $45 - $50 lift ticket
Lakers Game - $24 (Bring your binoculars)
Van's Skate Park - $28 (two 2 hour sessions)
Long Beach Grand Prix - $43 (one day general admission)

(I know you guys will come up with exceptions, you always do)

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
03-23-2004, 10:19 PM
Badlandz field is fine, because it includes all day air and is BYOP, so its all good, not to mention they have so many fields you have to love it.

Brophog
03-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Remember though, to you its $25 plus paint, plus air. I know, I know, if you go to a themepark you must consider food, drinks, etc....

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-23-2004, 11:15 PM
badlandz you can bring your own food :)

trevorjk
03-23-2004, 11:23 PM
and isnt all day air incorporated into the price of badlandz entrence fee?

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-23-2004, 11:47 PM
yes :)

FallNAngel
03-24-2004, 12:19 AM
Badlandz, 3 hyperball fields, at least 1 airball, 1 x-ball (not sure if it's up or not yet though) and at least 6 woodsball fields. BYO paint/food, all day air.. does it get expensive? Yeah. Is it worth it? I think so.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-24-2004, 01:13 AM
another thing

AO-IL DAY IV at the BADLANDZ this Sunday

FallNAngel
03-24-2004, 01:27 AM
bah... I'm working this Sunday and really don't want to play with an Angel or mech cocker... I'll won't be up there until around mid April :(

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-24-2004, 01:31 AM
:( - skip work, play with the cocker

FallNAngel
03-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Sure, if you'll pay for the 4.5hrs of work I'll be missing. It's not a huge deal to me.. it just means I'll have more time to be playing with my Cyborg.... I hope..

GoatBoy
03-24-2004, 02:37 AM
I think it depends on what you get for your money. Namely, a decent field and refs. (Of course, this doesn't always happen, but I think that's where it should go.) Neither of these has anything to do with what class marker you're using. If you go out with a slingshot, it's still the same amount of time you have to pay the refs, and it's still the same upkept field that everybody else goes out and plays on.

Paint prices have dropped over time due to obvious reasons.

Is there any force out there which would drive a lower field/entry fee drop?

I tend to look at it like whizbop... for 5-6 hours of exercise and entertainment, $25 isn't TOO bad. Sure, I'd like to have it cheaper (and I try to make it cheaper whenever possible) but you could compare it to other pasttimes.