PDA

View Full Version : Tank covers (armor) question

Pacifist_Farmer
03-23-2004, 07:30 AM
Does one need to remove gauges and such from the neck of the bottle when you are trying to put tank armor on your tank?

I'm thinking either the smart parts, or WDP version

shartley
03-23-2004, 07:33 AM
I may be missing something, but from all the tank covers I have seen in the past, they are put on over the tank not the neck area. I thought they all slipped on from the rear of the tank. Have they come out with new tank covers that I have not seen? Keep in mind that they MAY have since I don’t go looking for them.

danger_crane
03-23-2004, 07:51 AM
If a tank cover required you to remove your gauges, avoid it like the plague.

My local field owner told me a story about how someone switched around the gauges, fill nipple and burst disk on his tank because he wanted them another way. Long story short, the owner didn't see this, filled the tank, which then shot the gauges off, and the tank spun on the floor violently for a couple minutes, while the owner had to dive for cover.

You don't want to mess with 3000-4500 psi unless you have experience. That said, I've never seen a cover that didn't just slide over the back :)

PzYcO
03-23-2004, 08:02 AM
what about those WDP covers ??

PzYcO
03-23-2004, 08:03 AM
lok soks...

http://store6.yimg.com/I/actionvillage_1786_230097009

shartley
03-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Ahhh I didn’t think about those.

… and wouldn’t, since I think they are very ugly. ;)

SN0BL1ND
03-23-2004, 08:23 AM
I have Tank Armor and absolutely LOVE IT!

To answer your question: No you don't need to remove your gages. It's a 2 piece design that slips over your tank. If you've seen the pictures, the butt end and the main covering are in one piece, and the other end is the same material as the butt end. there is a hole large enough for the end of the tank to easily go thru. The larger piece is a Mother****** to get on; use water to lube it a little and it'll help ALOT.

I also reccomend getting the clear; I have smoke and it's hard to read the hydro date thru.

sneakyhacker420
03-23-2004, 08:25 AM
im gonna pick up some yellow armor soon... and no, you shouldn't have to take off any of your gauges, the top peice should stretch easy enough

-=Squid=-
03-23-2004, 08:59 AM
A teammate has the lok soks, and no, he didnt have to remove his guages. They stretch enough to go over. Takes a bit of work, though.

lbonettosd
03-23-2004, 09:00 AM
I've got a green and smoke Kalibur Tank armor on my tanks. I must say they are like the best tank cover ever! They are a tad bit tricky to get on (or remove for that matter) but well worth the hassle. The top part of the cover is flexible enough to bend around the gauges and fill nipple easily. But like Snowblind said use water for lube, it'll make getting it on a ton easier.

ghideon
03-23-2004, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't get a tank cover that

A) covers the hyrdo date
B) is a pain to remove

People are starting to check hydro dates, which is a good thing.

-=Squid=-
03-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ghideon
I wouldn't get a tank cover that

A) covers the hyrdo date
B) is a pain to remove

People are starting to check hydro dates, which is a good thing. But most of the new "armor" type covers are see through, and the lok soks dont cover the hydro date.

SN0BL1ND
03-23-2004, 02:11 PM
I said it was hard to see thru, not impossible... with a flashlight...:rolleyes:

It IS a pain to get on and off... but in a game, it's worth every penny...

GA Devil
03-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Armor is pretty easy to install. The tank just needs to be degassed COMPLETLY and unscrew the reg. Then just slip it on and screw in the reg with a few drops of loctite. All done.

Pacifist_Farmer
03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks every body, I'm still not sure whether I'm going to go with the tank armor or just a neoprene cover

Problem is I dont want a tank cover that has stupid stuff all over it, i.e. Dye

and I want it as plain and black as possible, they seem to be few and far between

SN0BL1ND
03-23-2004, 03:07 PM
I am very happy with the tank armor and none too impressed with the neoprene covers I've used. The part that goes over the fill nipple and other stuff goes on easily and the other half of the armor is a pain. Wiping hits off of the tank armor is another plus 'cuz there isn't any pourous material to retain paint; no stains...

Ultimately, it's your choice... individual mileage will vary....

swanster
03-23-2004, 03:21 PM
smart parts bottle armour is crap, it takes AGES to put it on and even longer to take it off. DONT buy it

MarkM
03-23-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by swanster
smart parts bottle armour is crap, it takes AGES to put it on and even longer to take it off. DONT buy it
No holding back there I see ;) But a question for you when the armour is on the bottle what reason to you have to remove it other than for when you have to get it hydro tested. Took me less than 2 minutes to get it on my bottle and I haven't tried to get it off as yet but then I don't need to remove it for another 5 years. The Test label shows through so no unzipping of the cover to allow the bottle fillers to see the label and it stays clean. You may need to remove the front section to clean a hit near the reg but that part does come off easy enough.

GA Devil
03-23-2004, 04:56 PM
to remove it takes seconds. Just take an air hose and stick it on that little hole on the bottom. Comes right off;)

ShadowWalker
03-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Are there any other brands of tank armor besides the WDP and Smart Parts? Any links would be helpful also.

yeahthatsme
03-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by shartley
I may be missing something, but from all the tank covers I have seen in the past, they are put on over the tank not the neck area. I thought they all slipped on from the rear of the tank. Have they come out with new tank covers that I have not seen? Keep in mind that they MAY have since I don’t go looking for them.

smart parts tank armor goes over the top and bottom

i didnt have to take my guages off when putting tank armor on my tank, so you shouldnt... you just gotta be carefull with it.

rdb123
03-23-2004, 09:35 PM
Those SP ones look just like those Kalibur tank covers.

ShadowWalker
03-23-2004, 09:55 PM
where can I take a look at these Kalibur covers?
I googled it but didn't have time to look hard.

rdb123
03-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by ShadowWalker

Have you tried searching on AO? I could've sworn that's where I heard of them first.

CoolHand
03-23-2004, 10:28 PM
I've got a smoke 68 cu Kalibur that I'd part with.

Click the link in my sig to email me and get a price.

Later

MarkM
03-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by ShadowWalker

It is the same thing Smart Parts are only the distributers, Kalibur is the company that makes them. They showed them at the World Cup 2 years ago...a little later Smart Parts announce Bottle Armour ;)

dj89
03-23-2004, 11:00 PM
i have a sp cover it fits over my big cross fire gages
http://www.hunt101.com/img/113545.jpg (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=113545&c=500&z=1)

Pacifist_Farmer
03-24-2004, 07:03 AM
well seeing how no one around here ever seems to have what I want when I want it, I ordered the tank armor off the internet,

I'll tell you what I think when it shows up