PDA

View Full Version : Cooky 'Spyder' Design; Your Thoughts?

OysterBoy
03-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Last night I was dreaming about like, guns and such and trying to think up new designs (:)) and I wondered if I could take a Spyder and make it a lower profile. First i thought of decreasing the size of the 'under bore', and the internals, but then I realized to work effectively the hammer would most likely need to be heavier or bigger, which would create unwanted kick. Then I thought, why not take one bore and put it beside the other. This can be done in two ways; a long bar (pictured), or a 'sideways' spyder setup. It would look awkward in either, but most especially in the sideways setup, as you have the trigger under one bore, and the other bore just hanging out there. The design i decided to draw up was the long bar. The blue shows the air lines and although they dont connect, they would when you fire, resulting in the shot. This wouldnt be too practical for tourney play, but scenario dudes may get a kick out of it. Not only that but its ability to have various shells (Thompson, Bullpups of all kinds, M4A1s/M16s, etc) would be nice for the player wanting a 'realistic' paintball gun but dont want Armtechs. Without further adieu, heres the 'Bar'.

http://members.rogers.com/oystermallet/OddSpyderDesign.gif

Thoughts? Critiscm? I dont think I'd want to market this unless a medium amount of people wanted one.

Peace.

OysterBoy
03-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Oh and dont take the trigger schematic in that picture to heart, I just got lazy.

Top Secret
03-23-2004, 02:48 PM
Have you by chance ever seen the internals of a Tippmann?

OysterBoy
03-23-2004, 02:48 PM
eep, lemme guess, this is the same?

Quickling
03-23-2004, 02:59 PM
holy turbulance batman! With that many curves in the air flow, you are going to increase turbulance and thus increase the air's resistance to flow. Not sayin that'll keep the gun from workin, I an just adding my .02$

OysterBoy
03-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Yea, but think of it like a duck bill, to macroline, to regulator on a mag. Thats somewhat how it would be setup, with a macroline linking the back to the front.

Top Secret
03-23-2004, 03:18 PM
http://www.tippmann.com/markers/image/a53.jpg

OysterBoy
03-23-2004, 03:19 PM
Ah damn.

Oh well :)

Why does this always happen, half the ideas I get have been done already (Doc's Rocking Trigger, This, probably more..)

ok... what about it being sideways? ;)

J_Hoyt
03-23-2004, 03:20 PM
That's just an inline blowback as opposed to a stacked blowback. Same as a Tippmann or Stingray.

OysterBoy
03-23-2004, 03:22 PM
bah....

Well say it was an original idea...? lol just forget it..

TheTramp
03-23-2004, 04:10 PM
I think the side by side idea is good but I think you'd have a VERY hard time "selling" it to the general paintball community.

-=Squid=-
03-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Have you given any thought on how your going to manufacture all of these "ideas?"

Now, you ask for constructive critisism, so take this or leave it... if you just sit around and try to "invent" things your not going to get anywhere. You have to start on one really good idea. You cant just draw 200 designs for things without putting thought into them. Just my $0.02.

OysterBoy
03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
hehe, I dont plan on marketing this idea at all, I just dreamt it up and wanted to see some reactions.

As for the gun mentioned in the other topic, we've already contacted Jantz (CNC Milling shop nearby), Ive talked to a few commercial magnet manufacturers, and we've found the place to suit our needs, and everything else comes down to assembly, and obviously, cost. The prototype is going to cost us, we are estimating, about 500 canadian, split among evan and I 250 each, which is one of the reasons I never have money to upgrade my mag lol :)