PDA

View Full Version : Sick of drop nazis

trains are bad
03-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Ok I understand it's not trendy at the moment to run dropforewards. I totally understand if you think they are uncomfortable or stupid or gay or whatever, But geez eveytime someone posts a pic of a marker with a dropforeward someone has to say "lose the drop".

Ever think they LIKE the dropforeward? Ever think they WOULD lose it if they didn't? Not everybody has to be just like you.

Peace

tyrion2323
03-24-2004, 11:23 AM
I agree man,

It's like, someone gets an awesome new marker, and they post pics, and the first thing that some jerk does is "oh, get this and that and LOSE THE DROP" instead of saying "Wow, that's a nice marker man!"

I, for example, love small/mid drops. When I post pics of my completed Omen, it'll certainly have a drop on it (first gotta get it milled and anodized!)

People are too driven by what the pros use. When pros were using massive drops, people liked them. Now that pros use rails, people hate drops. Unless I'm missing something, drops haven't really changed all that much in the past 3 years.

Jacob

robdamanii
03-24-2004, 11:25 AM
I've gotten the same thing from my Angel.

"That drop sucks" and "get rid of that stupid drop".

People never thing that I've got it on there because I LIKE the feel and balance of the drop on there.

Personal opinions are ok, but c'mon, there's a point where it gets to be too much.

rkjunior303
03-24-2004, 11:26 AM
you mean like mine? :) I actually have a Crossfire 72/4500 coming to replace the 45/4500 Java tank I have right now on there. It's out of Hydro and is actually my buddies lol..

http://www.jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1370

Cryer
03-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by trains are bad
Ok I understand it's not trendy at the moment to run dropforewards. I totally understand if you think they are uncomfortable or stupid or gay or whatever, But geez eveytime someone posts a pic of a marker with a dropforeward someone has to say "lose the drop".

Ever think they LIKE the dropforeward? Ever think they WOULD lose it if they didn't? Not everybody has to be just like you.

Peace

hehe...

i'm a drop nazi:D

Honestly, tho, I'm faster on the trigger and more accurate with a rail...

rkjunior303
03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
hah cryer.. every post yours has "get a rail!" lol but yeah, it all depends on how long your arms are and how big your torso is... with a drop I find I can balanace the marker better and it's not too tall... When I get my y-gripped mag, I will just use a rail'ed ASA.. I like how those feel. So I'm a little of both.

Cryer
03-24-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by rkjunior303
hah cryer.. every post yours has "get a rail!" lol but yeah, it all depends on how long your arms are and how big your torso is... with a drop I find I can balanace the marker better and it's not too tall... When I get my y-gripped mag, I will just use a rail'ed ASA.. I like how those feel. So I'm a little of both.

Ya, that is true... I'm about 6'4" and my armspan is about the same, so rails are good for me...
One thing I dont like about the rails, it makes it harder/more awkward to use the warp.:(

rkjunior303
03-24-2004, 11:48 AM
You can't have your cake and eat it too :)

Doc Nickel
03-24-2004, 11:53 AM
I absolutely hate the feel of rails. Makes the gun too long, the tank gets in the way of my forearm or wrist, and makes the gun sit too "low".

But it's personal preference- I've always said you should shoot what feels "right" or comfortable to you, not just blindly copying what the "pros" use.

Right now, I like a kind of 'medium' drop, about what comes with the original Flatlines. Even a little down angle at the back helps a bit, but again, that's just what feels right to me. If you want a rail, by all means, get a rail. If you want an eight-inch drop that puts the tank further forward than the grip, go for it.

The more comfortable you are with your equipment, the better you'll play, it's as simple as that.

Doc.

robdamanii
03-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Doc Nickel
If you want an eight-inch drop that puts the tank further forward than the grip, go for it.

Doc.

You been looking at my angel, have you?

Cryer
03-24-2004, 11:58 AM
I recently ordered a rail from dead-on paintball (yeah, I know they make stuff for tippmanns... So?) that has a slight angle to it. I used one like it at texball on logamus's shocker, only it was angled up... I really like the feel of it.
http://www.deadonpaintball.com/images/Drop_Forward/DF-Bullet-1300-7_600.jpg

No sKiLLz
03-24-2004, 12:02 PM
I absolutely hate the feel of rails. Makes the gun too long, the tank gets in the way of my forearm or wrist, and makes the gun sit too "low".

But it's personal preference- I've always said you should shoot what feels "right" or comfortable to you, not just blindly copying what the "pros" use.

Right now, I like a kind of 'medium' drop, about what comes with the original Flatlines. Even a little down angle at the back helps a bit, but again, that's just what feels right to me. If you want a rail, by all means, get a rail. If you want an eight-inch drop that puts the tank further forward than the grip, go for it.

The more comfortable you are with your equipment, the better you'll play, it's as simple as that.

Doc.

Are you serious Doc? I run a rail for the exact same reason you don't. A drop puts the fat part of the tank right under the trigger frame, and that's where your wrist would be, so by not running a rail you have to angle your wrist to wrap around the tank making it harder to walk a trigger, unless you stick your elbow out to straighten your wrist. The rail gets the tank out of the way and keeps the wrist straight. And even though this might not matter to some, having your wrist flush against the gun makes for a slightly smaller target than arching around the tank.

dcmander
03-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by No sKiLLz

Are you serious Doc? I run a rail for the exact same reason you don't. A drop puts the fat part of the tank right under the trigger frame, and that's where your wrist would be, so by not running a rail you have to angle your wrist to wrap around the tank making it harder to walk a trigger, unless you stick your elbow out to straighten your wrist. The rail gets the tank out of the way and keeps the wrist straight. And even though this might not matter to some, having your wrist flush against the gun makes for a slightly smaller target than arching around the tank.

Rails also make your setup shorter, which shrinks your profile.

To me, it is all about profile and how comfortable it is. Rails work best for me as well. Easier to shoot, most comfortable, shortest, AND smallest profile.

Wow, what a thought!

FallNAngel
03-24-2004, 12:31 PM

At first, I used a PMI Perfect Drop on my cocker. Later, I moved to a KAPP Stubby Bar for a DZ2 and loved it. My marker wasn't anywhere near as tall and I felt I could shoulder it much better. Later, I had moved to a Worrblade and loved the feel. The balance left a little to be desired, but wasn't bad at all.

My fiance on the other hand, is now using a full DZ2 with an 88 Long Hyperflow on her Dark Angel. Personally, I can't stand it, but it's what she likes... doesn't stop me from teasing her about it though :p

Try telling that to these guys: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?threadid=443619

Rope a Dope
03-24-2004, 12:32 PM
Nice post trains but yuou should lose the drop.

trains are bad
03-24-2004, 12:33 PM

Exactly my point. I'm faster and more accurate with my drop foreward. So let's all stop trying to get people to change to a worse setup for them.

Bad_Dog
03-24-2004, 12:35 PM
<=========:p

http://www.imageshack.us/img2/115/magsetupwithfreakwarpuleweb.gif

:) :) :)

ghideon
03-24-2004, 12:37 PM
There is only one drop for me, the CP micro drop. I love it, and as soon as I get a ULE RT Mag, I'll get another one.

If you're a fan of the small drop, I'd highly reccommend it.

http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/1159/

Brophog
03-24-2004, 12:38 PM
You guys know there is no room for independent thought in paintball. Do what the mob tells you to do, and like it.:cool:

No sKiLLz
03-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Brophog
You guys know there is no room for independent thought in paintball. Do what the mob tells you to do, and like it.:cool:

Well, I gave a lot of good reasons for running a rail. I'm thinking most people who don't run a rail just haven't given it a fair chance. My game has improved in all aspects, especially snap shooting, once I lost the drop. The guns is much easier to shoulder, and since my wrist is no longer bent, it's much more nimble and easier to snap with.

But what I hear most of you saying is that you believe we do it just because the pros do it. Well, do you think at some point the pros took into consideration which would be better?

felony
03-24-2004, 12:45 PM
i hate drop nazis too. they are just a bunch of guys and gals that get people to hate drops so they can go to the forums and get good prices and these new drops that everyone wants to get rid of. there i said it.

hahah

lets start and xmag hate club and get everyone that has one to believbe they hate them as well. they sell them for cheap and we get xmags .. makes perfect sense.

dan

Cryer
03-24-2004, 12:55 PM
BadDog, that hurts!:eek:
Originally posted by trains are bad

Exactly my point. I'm faster and more accurate with my drop foreward. So let's all stop trying to get people to change to a worse setup for them.
I say that because I dont think most of the people out there with these drop forwards have ever used a rail... While I'm not saying everyone will like it, I gaurantee a great many of them will lose their drops altogether for rails

Jack & Coke
03-24-2004, 12:57 PM
For me, it all depends on what tank i'm using.

for the tanks I own:

45/4500 = no drop
70/4500 (peanut) = no drop
68/4500 = no drop or micro drop
88/4500 = med drop

May personal fav combo is 45/4500 or 70/4500 (peanut) + Uni-mount.

I agree with No sKillz:

No sKiLLz
03-24-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Jack &amp; Coke
I agree with No sKillz:

:eek: :D

krafty
03-24-2004, 01:25 PM
I prefer medium drops. I tried running a unimount on my Bushmaster and the thing felt longer than a REAL bushmaster. :)

Of course, I probably shoot very differently than most people. I'm a lefty, but I hold the gun by my left hand (usually around the bottom of the grip frame) and walk the trigger with my right hand. Odd, I know, but that's how I do it.

Doc Nickel
03-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Like I said, it all depends on how you shoot, and what feels comfortable to you.

I like having the gun up close (I have beavertail scratches on my goggs :D) and the gun "high" so I can sight right down the side if the barrel while the tank is in the hollow of my shoulder.

Yes, I've tried rails, and I used them long before, when we called them "bottomlines" or "ducktails" and they held long 7 and 9-oz CO2 tanks. :D

No offense to the "rail" guys but the idea it makes the gun shorter overall is kind of silly. Assuming you hold the barrel at the same height (roughly eye level, give or take) all it does is raise the tank up a few inches- except your shoulder, chest and forearm are still there.

It's like the guys complaining about the Warp Feed, saying it makes your gun too wide. But if you're holding the gun normally, the "width" is inside the width of your chest and shoulders- the overall target width you offer an opponent is completely unchanged (except for the loss in height, which is a definite benefit since it comes down off the top, lowering the top of the gun to below that of the top of your head.)

Again, it's all preference. I've made drops for customers, that were longer than the gun (http://www.docsmachine.com/blublazr.jpg), and I've made up guns with just rails (http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/chaoseblade1.jpg). Of course, I've also added back-bottle adapters (http://www.docsmachine.com/bbshocker.jpg), gas-thru stocks (http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/doxmag.jpg) and "drop-sideways (http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/ronsac.jpg)" mounts.

Run what YOU like, not what the noobs and wannabes tell you to like.

Doc.

-=Squid=-
03-24-2004, 01:28 PM
A lot of people who use drops havent "tried" playing without one either. I LOVED my kapp drop till I used a rail... 2 years ago.

WARPED1
03-24-2004, 01:29 PM
I love drops. 14 years in the sport, drop forwards are definatly in the top 10 best pb inventions ever. (mags being in that list too!)

FallNAngel
03-24-2004, 01:35 PM
It's like the guys complaining about the Warp Feed, saying it makes your gun too wide. But if you're holding the gun normally, the "width" is inside the width of your chest and shoulders- the overall target width you offer an opponent is completely unchanged (except for the loss in height, which is a definite benefit since it comes down off the top, lowering the top of the gun to below that of the top of your head.)

Of course, then you get into things like... your head is generally right in line of where the hopper was... ;)

punkncat
03-24-2004, 01:37 PM
For my RTP I use a DZ3 because it makes the profile of the marker so small.I can tuck super tight with it.I don't have to walk the trigger so the slightly cramped wrist position is a fair trade.
On my Bushy I use just a bottomline setup.That way I can really rip the trigger w/o cramping my wrist or hand.I just don't like how its so long setup that way.
As many have said , its all according to what you like.

angelbeast24
03-24-2004, 01:39 PM
first of all half of you guys when u post pics of ur gun ur ask us what we think and a lot of us dont like drops myself being one of those ppl i love my rail adn just think it helps me shooting faster

nuclear zombie
03-24-2004, 01:48 PM
I prefer a long drop , usually the back of the tank nearly even with the back of the gun .

Why ? because of the field i play on. 90 percent of the time I play at a local field that doesn't have a sup-air field , instead it's made of plastic pallets . The pallets have little dimension to them , so I have to make my gun as short as possible so I can tuck in as close as possible to reduce the chance of being shot from the side. So maybe it's not a fad maybe it's that pro's play nothing but supair , and having a short gun isn't as critical as it use to be . There are too many personal factors involved to call it a "fad " but maybe " a trend as a result of the evolution of the sport." And if you ever tell me to lose the drop i'll tell you that you should go buy a pump and learn what the sport is really about .

No sKiLLz
03-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Like I said, it all depends on how you shoot, and what feels comfortable to you.

I like having the gun up close (I have beavertail scratches on my goggs :D) and the gun "high" so I can sight right down the side if the barrel while the tank is in the hollow of my shoulder.

Yes, I've tried rails, and I used them long before, when we called them "bottomlines" or "ducktails" and they held long 7 and 9-oz CO2 tanks. :D

No offense to the "rail" guys but the idea it makes the gun shorter overall is kind of silly. Assuming you hold the barrel at the same height (roughly eye level, give or take) all it does is raise the tank up a few inches- except your shoulder, chest and forearm are still there.

Again, it's all preference. I've made drops for customers, that were longer than the gun (http://www.docsmachine.com/blublazr.jpg), and I've made up guns with just rails (http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/chaoseblade1.jpg). Of course, I've also added back-bottle adapters (http://www.docsmachine.com/bbshocker.jpg), gas-thru stocks (http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/doxmag.jpg) and "drop-sideways (http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/ronsac.jpg)" mounts.

Run what YOU like, not what the noobs and wannabes tell you to like.

Doc.

As far as height goes, that's a nickel and dime issue. The top to bottom height of the gun with a rail and a no rise for the hopper will only make a difference in very isolated cases, so I think that's a very small benefit and not the real issue. As far as the chest and shoulder go, here's a thought. With a drop, your shoulder is further forward and therefore more square to the target, where with a drop, your shoulders are more in line. I find this helps keep a flatter profile to the shooting angle your opponent has on you and reduces the chance of offering a chest/shoulder shot to the opponent.

Another thing is consider what you said about sighting. The margin of error on your sight angle is less at greater distances. So holding the marker a little further out might help you aim better.

My main contention was the wrist issue, though. That and the fact that everyone keeps thinking rails are a mob mentality when there is actually a lot of good justification for it.

RRfireblade
03-24-2004, 02:05 PM

My main contention was the wrist issue, though.

That's my only reason FOR a drop. Without a drop,I can't hardly grab the grip frame as the tank and my forearm are in direct conflict for the same space.

I guess if I had little girly forearms like you rail guys :D...........

Cryer
03-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
...I guess if I had little girly forearms like you rail guys :D...........
http://www.rmlicensing.com/ENG/transimages/popeye.gif

RRfireblade
03-24-2004, 02:19 PM
:D

WARPED1
03-24-2004, 02:24 PM

I guess if I had little girly forearms like you rail guys :D........... Hehehe. I think so.......
damn drop nazi's!:D

Wolfen
03-24-2004, 02:34 PM
I've grown up on drops, but I just got a Pro-rail for my Mag-in-the-works. I have yet to actually try it in a game, but it is going to take some getting used to. I'm used to the tank not getting jammed into my shoulder. But it will cut down on the tallness of the marker you get with using a drop forward, so we'll see which I actually stay with.

Edit: But then again, if I went with a 45* trigger frame and not a vertical frame, I probably would've gotten at least a medium drop. But I figured since the frame is already forward a bit, I didn't need too much of a drop.

Rooster
03-24-2004, 02:43 PM
So how is a rail different than a bottom-line? I've got about 16 duckbills sitting around that will do the same thing.

Cryer
03-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Rooster
So how is a rail different than a bottom-line? I've got about 16 duckbills sitting around that will do the same thing.
I prefer a rail because I can use an on/off in conjuction with it.

RRfireblade
03-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Rooster
So how is a rail different than a bottom-line?

About $25-$30. ;)

Since almost everyone started with a bottomline ASA,I think most have a pretty good idea what a rail feels like.

No sKiLLz
03-24-2004, 02:50 PM

That's my only reason FOR a drop. Without a drop,I can't hardly grab the grip frame as the tank and my forearm are in direct conflict for the same space.

I guess if I had little girly forearms like you rail guys :D...........
I'm sorry, I having trouble picturing this. Do you have a picture of your gun? Because when I think of a drop, it puts the tank right under the gripframe. Basically what I am hearing is you say the exact benefit of a rail can only be had with a drop. With a rail my wrist is against the gauge and the on/off and my forearm is under the gun vs. against the tank. Where does your arm go?

BTW not all of us excercise our wrists as much as you.

Top Secret
03-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Actually I find duckbills rather uncomfortable because they push they tank out a bit farther than a rail/unimount does. I'd have to agree with Jack and Coke on the various drop/tank setups. My favorite two setups are my CP rail and on/off with a 45 on my Viking and my Conquest 68 on a reversed rail on my DM4. They seem to balance the gun perfectly at the rear screw in the grip frame.

RRfireblade
03-24-2004, 03:03 PM

I'm sorry, I having trouble picturing this. Do you have a picture of your gun? Because when I think of a drop, it puts the tank right under the gripframe. Basically what I am hearing is you say the exact benefit of a rail can only be had with a drop. With a rail my wrist is against the gauge and the on/off and my forearm is under the gun vs. against the tank. Where does your arm go?

BTW not all of us excercise our wrists as much as you.

First off,don't take it all so seriously.:)

And I'm not talking some major drop forward,I use like a medium,say 2-3" forward and 1-2" down.

What I'm saying is quite simple,with my drop the top of the tank is about even with the bottom of the grip frame.With a rail,the top of the tank ends up 1-2" above the bottom of the grip frame. For me,that's bad.

No sKiLLz
03-24-2004, 03:08 PM

First off,don't take it all so seriously.:)

And I'm not talking some major drop forward,I use like a medium,say 2-3" forward and 1-2" down.

What I'm saying is quite simple,with my drop the top of the tank is about even with the bottom of the grip frame.With a rail,the top of the tank ends up 1-2" above the bottom of the grip frame. For me,that's bad.

How tall are you?

RRfireblade
03-24-2004, 03:12 PM

How tall are you?

6' 1"

220lbs

33 inch waist

Brown Hair

Brown Eyes

Likes long walks on the beach......

Oops,to much info?

;)

Cryer
03-24-2004, 03:17 PM
LOL

FutureMagOwner
03-24-2004, 03:29 PM
personally ive always been a non drop guy but i needed an on off for my tank and rails didnt exist then... so i have a drop on my emag... i had drops on 2 of my guns, my cocker, and my emag the other guns i have had i could shoot alot easier without a drop (its funny how i used to get laughed at for having not having a drop and now its the cool thing not to) when i got my gz i can shoot it alot easier and my sl-68 II as well (although neither of them compare to the emag, i could do some crazy crap if i didnt have a drop on it...)

anyway i suppose it comes to preference (BTW if you must know im also 6'1" formerly 225 lbs but i lost 30 so far and im 195!!!) i also find the tank size important i like a fat tank since it doesnt dig into my shoulder but i also like it about 68 ci sized in length so i loved shouldering my old 88/4500 maxflow with dye tank cover on it it was awesome!

Chris42050
03-24-2004, 03:49 PM
I just recently told a guy to "lose the drop". But that was because it was ugly as hell. I dont care if people have drops or duckbills or rails or whatever they make themselves. But people, dont have a big ole ugly a&& one on your gun. Have some style to your function.

No sKiLLz
03-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Sounds like you are shooting with your forearm perpendicular to the gun above the air tank. Are you looking over the top of your hopper when you shoot?

shartley
03-24-2004, 04:39 PM
I am 6’4” and love having a drop. My arms DO bend. ;)

The drop on my RTP allows me to be more comfortable behind the marker while raising the top of the marker closer to eye level (as Doc pointed out). It brings the marker to eye level and not forces me to bring my eye down to the top of the marker… less neck strain.

It also brings the whole package closer into the body…. Less of a target from the side… and yes, sometimes folks get an angle on you.

As for hoppers… that is never an issue for me. If my hopper gets hit, chances are it would have hit my head anyways. I prefer to clean my hopper than my mask. ;)

All my markers but my Stroker have drops. But I have used markers without them and still do just fine.

It is all in what is more comfortable for you… and as stated by another member, the more comfortable you are, the better you will play…. Usually. ;)

And to each their own. Have YOUR marker the way YOU like it, and I will have MINE the way I like it. :D

thei3ug
03-24-2004, 04:46 PM
wait wait, let me get this right...

So a rail is basically, a bottomline, except... on a dovetail?

I don't get it. What's the big deal here?

tony3
03-24-2004, 04:48 PM
I cry whenever I see nice guns with drops on them. I used to love drops and thats all I would do, and remember the shorter your tank is the better it is...then I realized how stupid drops are. They cramp your hand like nuts and make it impossible to walk your trigger effectively. Fine, you don't have an electro, do you still like your hand cramped? I can play just as tight with a rail as a drop zone 3. I use an 88/5k tank and a 16in barrel and I play those tiny front bunkers without a problem. Rails do take some getting used to, but you got to keep an open mind and try it, it might feel funny at first, but after using a rail for 6 months or so, thats all I can bear to use. I recently borrowed a classic mag with one of those big arse pmi drops, wow, I think my wrist/hand fell off midway thru the game.

The Deacon
03-24-2004, 05:02 PM
I can't believe this. A while ago, everyone I ran into told me "Dude, you ain't using a drop? What are you, retarded? I can play so tight and you can't!"

Now, those same friggin' people are telling me, "Dude! What's with the drop? Are you retarded? I can play so much tighter than you!"

Ta hell?

I'm just gonna keep using my drop, out of spite for all of you. :D

tony3
03-24-2004, 05:04 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/123801.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/123802.jpg

RRfireblade
03-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by tony3
Rails do take some getting used to, but you got to keep an open mind and try it, it might feel funny at first, but after using a rail for 6 months or so, thats all I can bear to use.

Your kidding right?

Your saying that something that took you 6 MONTHS to get used to,is better than something that feels right the first time you picked it up?:rolleyes:

shartley
03-24-2004, 05:29 PM
LOL Those pictures remind me of the commercials where they try to hype a new product by making people look retarded while doing things they have been doing with NO problems for ages.

Maybe folks are just retarded?

I have NEVER had my hand cramp up when using a drop. In fact I just went into my office and picked up my RTP. I got in shooting position and found that my non-firing shoulder is farther more forward than my shooting (tank) shoulder. And the tank is not in my chest or resting on my arm, but squarely in my shoulder pocket. My shooting hand is in a very relaxed position and has no exaggerated wrist bend (only slight) as in those pictures. And I am a big guy… not like those small kids there.

Of course my drop is the DataPimp Drop and nowhere as forward as the one in the bottom picture there.

If you are uncomfortable with your setup, it is WRONG, no matter if it has a drop or not. And having a drop or not will not make your setup “correct”.

Be a sheep if you want, no skin off my back. But to act like one way is right and the other is wrong is just silly. If it works for YOU, and YOU paid for it and are using it, GREAT! :D And if you feel the need to put folks down because of how THEY choose to set up their equipment… well, YOU figure it out. ;)

Paintball_4_Fun
03-24-2004, 05:31 PM
Ok now you have done it !!!
see what you made me buy.

Nude Drop (http://www.ontoppaintball.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=105&cat=24) :D

tyrion2323
03-24-2004, 06:06 PM
This Thread is NOT about debating whether drops are better or rails are better. It's about the jerk-offs who say
"lose the drop" whenever someone shows a picture of their marker.

Debating about drops and rails is pointless and stupid, because nobody can be "right" or "wrong." It's all personal choice. Get over it.

Paintball_4_Fun
03-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by tyrion2323
This Thread is NOT about debating whether drops are better or rails are better. It's about the jerk-offs who say
"lose the drop" whenever someone shows a picture of their marker.

Debating about drops and rails is pointless and stupid, because nobody can be "right" or "wrong." It's all personal choice. Get over it.

Ok I have the answer.
I will put a rail on one of my Mags and a Drop on the other.
Then I will shoot some one in the neck with both. then they can tell us what system is better.:p

Chubby McFatso
03-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Hmmmmmm...... Yeah drop nazi's and the old rail nazi's (recently converted to drop nazi's) suck.

Use whatever is comfortable, yaddah, yaddah, yaddah...

Personally. I use a rail. But I don't shoot like most people. I rest the 45/45 between my bicep and the back of my fore arm and hold the gun parallel to my chest. I basically shoot sideways at people and have half the profile. But if I used a drop trying to do this.......? Oh my God.....I'd look like freakin handy man!! :eek:

LawnGnome7
03-24-2004, 06:36 PM
Ok I have the answer.
I will put a rail on one of my Mags and a Drop on the other.
Then I will shoot some one in the neck with both. then they can tell us what system is better.

^^^^^sounds logical to me

tony3
03-24-2004, 06:43 PM

Your kidding right?

Your saying that something that took you 6 MONTHS to get used to,is better than something that feels right the first time you picked it up?:rolleyes:

No, it took me a few days of playing to get used to using a rail after using a drop for pretty much my entire paintball career. Now, I have been using a rail for 6 months, and they just feel like second nature, I don't think I could ever go back to using drops.

Major Jam
03-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Weird, I'm having a dejavu. :)

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107446

Chris42050
03-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Just curious. Nobodys talkin about Gun balance. Can you get balance with a rail?

Cryer
03-24-2004, 09:07 PM
with my mech mag, I could hold the gun up with one finger right behind the grip frame. Had a rail and 68/4.5k tank

steveo356
03-24-2004, 09:19 PM
yeah no one anser is right. for me it depends wut place im playin that day if its back i prefer the mini gun at the waste idea often seen in movies to i rest the front on the bunker n light it up. but if i have to move at ill i like the rails.

but to solve all our problems is m,ake a transparent marker that floats in the air just a lil out side ur field of veiw so then its comfortable n even wn its out there the other team has no idea

Cryer
03-24-2004, 09:23 PM
I dont think I understood more than like, 2 words of that...:confused:

Dubstar112
03-24-2004, 09:37 PM
I agree with Doc. My stock flatline rail was perfect. However, my Impulse felt great with no drop, and a 68/45 crossfire, and my cocker feels great the way it is, no drop. Just the asa/rail mount. I have long arms though so it fits me good. Tank goes over my forearm.

bgredjeep
03-25-2004, 02:00 AM
I've been using a rail for a couple months now and I love it. Feels very natural and above all, stable while firing.

On a side note, a couple weekends ago a friend wanted to try out my Mag so we swapped for a game and I used his cocker. Well, he is running a 32º drop and it was funny when the game started. I came off the break and started shooting and the quick release pin on the back block started fitting me in the mask. It took a second to figure out what happened, then I adjusted my hold on the marker and was ok. Broke to another bunker and opened up again... Repeat the above routine. Same thing happened 4 times till I finally got eliminated at the 50. I guess I wasn't used to: #1 the marker position when using a drop and, #2 moving parts on the back of the marker.

Maybe instead of calling it a drop forward we should call it an up backward since thats what it does to the marker.

Evil1
03-25-2004, 02:24 AM
5 or 6 years ago I had one of those tank cradles that wrapped totally around the mid section of the tank and you just ran a hose from the reg to the vert adapter. The tank ( a 114 ci) only stuck out 4.5 inches behind the grip and it did not make the gun ridiculously tall either. I still miss that set up and wish I never sold it. I have not been able to find a rail or drop that I have been 100% happy with in the past couple of years. I have gone through without exaggeration probably 15-20 various drops and rails in the past year and the only one that I was kind of satisfied with was the drop that comes stock on an e orracle with a SP on/off that came with my 03 shocker. With the 03 shocker I still have not found a drop or rail that I like on that gun yet.

Barfly
03-25-2004, 02:30 AM
A problem I can see with some drops is that you can't get your elbow in as tight. A guy on my team, gets shot a lot in the elbow, because he can't get in as tight with his drop, so he is probably going to switch to a rail.

Chubby McFatso
03-25-2004, 08:41 AM
A problem I can see with some drops is that you can't get your elbow in as tight. A guy on my team, gets shot a lot in the elbow, because he can't get in as tight with his drop, so he is probably going to switch to a rail.

Amen. I've heard this complaint so many times.

WARPED1
03-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I can get just as tight in with a drop than when I experimented with a rail. I prefer the drop. I'll be sporting one in Xball at the Orlando open if I get to play.(might be subbing for a team, a guys wife is due that week!)

UltimatePaintballer
03-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Cryer

hehe...

i'm a drop nazi:D

I use to have a big drop, some of my friends would say ah loose that big drop and get a smaller. i never would listen to them cause i loved being compact in a bunker. but ever since my cocker has been down and using my friends mag with the rail on it, i have loved rails. so now i have a cp rail. I like having a very compact gun but i am, like cryer said, faster on the trigger and more accurate(well at least when im standing) with a rail.

Evil1
03-26-2004, 01:57 AM
I like the way an angel(speed,ir3, or a4) feels with an angel air system on it. It is prefect to me the way it feels. I am just not a big angel fan.

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by UltimatePaintballer

I use to have a big drop, some of my friends would say ah loose that big drop and get a smaller. i never would listen to them cause i loved being compact in a bunker. but ever since my cocker has been down and using my friends mag with the rail on it, i have loved rails. so now i have a cp rail. I like having a very compact gun but i am, like cryer said, faster on the trigger and more accurate(well at least when im standing) with a rail.

See whay I mean? When your wrist is straight instead of tweaked it makes it much easier for your finger to relax and walk without the strain. And if you can't feel the strain then you are just used to it.

Cryer
03-26-2004, 07:27 AM
I was in my room, messing around with my setup... Just happen to have a 2 inch shocktech mini drop...

I put that on my gun... backwards... and I think I like it even more:eek: :D :cool:

-=Squid=-
03-26-2004, 12:55 PM
GET THIS!

The people who say "lose the drops" like "jerk offs" are answering the person who posts there guns question... What should I do to it? Thats what THEY would do to it.

Personally, I CANT STAND drops. I dont see how anybody can. They do nothing but make your wrist look silly and impossible to shoulder your marker :D

With that being said, use what you like, but my 7 foot long vikings gonna snipe you :p

Dryden
03-26-2004, 01:52 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/img/123801.jpgWhat is so hysterical about this picture is the drop forward has a drop! :eek:

OK, not to thread jack, but what's a good mini (and I mean really mini) drop? Shocktech? I'm not paying Dye's prices, and I've had two different people tell me the ACI on/offs are threaded poorly and wear. I'm looking for something minor just to get the airline elbow down about 1" off the the bottom of an Intelliframe. With my current duckbill, the outside of my right hand rubs against the elbow on the duckbill. I may end up buying a Palmer wedge ... :confused:

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Dryden
What is so hysterical about this picture is the drop forward has a drop! :eek:

OK, not to thread jack, but what's a good mini (and I mean really mini) drop? Shocktech? I'm not paying Dye's prices, and I've had two different people tell me the ACI on/offs are threaded poorly and wear. I'm looking for something minor just to get the airline elbow down about 1" off the the bottom of an Intelliframe. With my current duckbill, the outside of my right hand rubs against the elbow on the duckbill. I may end up buying a Palmer wedge ... :confused:

Try the CP micro drop.
http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/031-6202.html

Cryer
03-26-2004, 02:00 PM
If you have a duckbill, I would recommend a Unimount or a CP mini rail with some dovetail on/off...

Both of those will drop the tank red about 1 inch straight down.
Both are about 40-50 dollar setups.

If you want it a little farther forward, you could get a shocktech micro drop and asa.

Doc Nickel
03-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Can't stand drops? KAPP sold a kajillion Drop Zones, DZII's, DZ-3s and Minis. Somebody must like 'em.

I still see dozens for sale in the magazines and online. Somebody must be buyin' 'em.

I've personally built at least a hundred, ranging from as little as about an inch and a half up to eight or nine inches or more. I still make up one, in various lengths, every couple of weeks or so. Somebody wants 'em badly enough to custom order them.

I have three lengths specifically designed for Angel AIR (http://www.docsmachine.com/gear/airdrop.html), and while I can't say I've sold a bunch, I have sold more than a few. Somebody's using them.

Again, don't like 'em? Then don't use 'em. It's no different than the old "Mag vs. Cocker" argument; one or the other is not the "only right choice", it's purely and wholly a matter of personal opinion.

Some people DO like it long- I made a "drop backward" for a guy about six years ago, about when the screw-in HPA systems were just coming out, and combined it made the thing absurdly long.

Personally, I hated it, but the customer loved it, using it for over a year that I know of, and might still be using it.

Some people like stock-class pumps, "can't possibly see why you need a thousand balls and six batteries to play a game".

Some people like fast electros, "can't possibly see how you can play without 18BPS to keep their heads down".

Some people like Spyders, "can't possibly see how somebody can spend a thousand dollars on a paintball gun".

Some people like gadgets, "can't possibly see how you can play without HALO, SENSEI, AIR, ACE, COPS, TAPS, SFT and LCD".

Visors vs. no visors. HALO vs. Egg. 1pc barrel vs. 2pc barrel. Inserts vs. backs. Magnetic trigger return vs. spring trigger return. Eclipse body milling vs. Freeflow body milling.

Neither side is "right", just use what feels best to you. Screw what the other guy thinks- he probably likes Coke anyway, even though Mountain Dew is clearly the better drink. :D

Doc.

Major Jam
03-26-2004, 03:10 PM
What about the drop left? :)

http://www.docsmachine.com/galleries/dropleft.jpg

ShooterJM
03-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Screw what the other guy thinks- he probably likes Coke anyway, even though Mountain Dew is clearly the better drink. :D

Doc.

Hey, it's proven fact that Dew is the drink of the gods.

shartley
03-26-2004, 04:18 PM
Doc,
Don’t worry about it too much… I heard wooden grips are a thing of the past as well. Yet I can’t keep up with the requests for them. ;)

Shykicker
03-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Well, personally, I use a short drop to negate the length of the regulator on my nitro setup, having learned on CO2 tanks myself. I like it for the forward, more than the drop, though it does place the tank more at ease of balance between my grip and foregrip. I'm not a huge proponent of 'tall' guns, because they deviate a bit much from the more effective (IMO) setup where the trigger hand acts like a fulcrum to the weight of the gun and become more like simply carrying weight around. Drops have worked the best for me as an adjustment to the balance of the tank vs. the marker, not a substitute.

I think much of the anti-drop sentiment comes from cheaper marker manufacturers marketing drops as 'professional' features of their more expensive models. Can't say I dissagree. It DOES cheapen the image of drops. Then again, image isn't everything.

evan123
03-26-2004, 08:19 PM
I think it all depends on the tank and gun. I personally love 45cis with rails like jake and coke. The 68 needs a little moving foward with maybe a medium and then a 88 needs a shocktech long type drop for me to be comfy and not have my wrist bent.

Jig
03-26-2004, 11:05 PM
I honestly don't understand why people ever started argueing about this. its so friggin' obvious that this is going to boil down to a personal preferance issue that is simply amazes me that people decided they would try to convince others to go one way or another.

alot of this depends on hieght and just general size, what position you play, wether or not you have ape arms(i do!), and just what you're comfortable with.

some people prefer 16 inch barrels, others prefer 6 inch barrels(i have one!) and others use most any size barrel(i do!).

personally i dont use either a drop or a rail or a uni-mount. i use a Phantom with 12 grams....i find that i can tuck, not add hieght to the setup, keep my wrist comfy, be very accurate, and avoid people telling me to lose the drop without spending unnecessary cash to add that unnecesarry tank to my unnecessary semi:D .

just do what feels right, screw the newbs, screw ESCPECIALLY the TWiBs(can't stand em!), screw the pros(are you a pro...i didn't think so).

just lay off each other...what does it matter to you what some dude uses on his setup? he likes it that way so why should you care. besides if your setup is so much better it should just give you an easier time eliminating him with your amazing ability to tuck and shoot faster.

Jig-paintball economist

~WarpedRT#2~
03-27-2004, 01:15 AM
he probably likes Coke anyway, even though Mountain Dew is clearly the better drink. :D

Doc.

I beg to differ!!!:D ;)

Digits
03-27-2004, 01:20 AM
I was in my room, messing around with my setup... Just happen to have a 2 inch shocktech mini drop...

I put that on my gun... backwards... and I think I like it even more:eek: :D :cool:

haha I did that with a normal shocktech drop once.. It was schaweet..

Personally.. I was hesitant about ordering my unimount/rail setup.. but after seeing ALOT of people converting to them, and more pro's using them (don't say they get sponsered to.. I highly doubt there sponsers tell them they can't use a drop if they want).. So after all this I ended up getting one.. It felt a tad awkward at first.. But me, having long arms, after a little while playing with it I loved it.. I would NEVER get a drop again unless it was a mini one just to put the bottle flush with the triggerframe.. Which I still wouldn't because I love the feel of my inimount.

Everyone that holds my gun says it feels awkward to them.. Chicken arms I tell you.. Damn people.. They don't know.. I love my setup

Evil1
03-27-2004, 01:40 AM
That drop left is cool as hell, but does it come in drop right?

Shykicker
03-27-2004, 01:53 AM
Yeah, but that one costs more. Just give me your Credit Card number and I'll order you one! :D

Seriously? I think you just flip it around 180* and screw it back on. Is called drop left because most people drop it left-wards. There is a major flaw in the design if it doesn't go either way.

Chicken arms I tell you

Just trying to imagine a chicken with arms... :D

GT
03-27-2004, 02:06 AM
with a large, or any drop, I find myself pushing the tank away from my body, which can create some inaccurate first few shots. I use the rail to force good shooting posture.

I cant stand peanut tanks! If I had one I would have to run a pretty large drop.

Edit:

I would run a drop if I was using a screw in. drives me crazy to have the fill nipple poking me in the arm. Plus screws with on.off are halla longer than non-pin valved tanks.

tony3
03-27-2004, 10:20 AM
gtrsi, take off your fill nipple, put a 90* elbow on, then the fill nipple, I have seen numerous people do this. Also, with an on off, you can set the tank where you want it, then turn it on, if it is screwed in far enough.

GT
03-27-2004, 11:10 AM
gtrsi, take off your fill nipple, put a 90* elbow on, then the fill nipple, I have seen numerous people do this. Also, with an on off, you can set the tank where you want it, then turn it on, if it is screwed in far enough.

Good idea!,
Onlly thing is I probally wont ever run screw ins again unless its a gun I loan out. Screw ins make the air portion of your gun so long. I have a pic somwhere of an old 88ci long next to a 72ci stub. the 88 is a conquest and the 72 is a crossfire, with the on.off asa it is almost as long as the conquest:eek:

Dubstar112
03-27-2004, 12:07 PM
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7tmpm/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hpim0052.jpg

Im not a drop nazi.

Im just showing off my new DIGI camera ;)

Cryer
03-27-2004, 01:25 PM

I had mine setup like this... If you do this, dont let Brad AGD know... He'll be an absolute *** to you. Treat you like you are an idiot and such. He says its because elbows arent rated to such high PSI. I've had other Airsmiths tell me they are. The guy who was doing Air at Texball was actually the guy who set mine up a couple of years ago...:confused:

Cryer
03-27-2004, 01:35 PM
Dubstar- do you like that on/off? I just ordered one from dead on with that same rail...

Just wondering if its worth the money I already spent:p

painball
03-27-2004, 01:35 PM
I personally do not like the feel of a drop. On the other hand, I also do not like the feel of a rail with a 68ci tank. It just feels too long and uncomfortable with the rail. With the drop, I hate how it makes my gun so tall and right in my face (even with a shorter drop).

So I compensated and bought a 70ci "peanut" tank to go with a rail. It is very comfy and fits me pretty well. The only thing that kinda bothers me is the weird wrist angle, but it feels a heck of a lot better than a really long gun.

Dubstar112
03-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Cryer, I use a 45/45 tank so it fits nicley. Not too long, but it just rests against my forearm. The adjustable rail isnt really that adjustable. But my CCM cocker has 2 different bottomline positions, so that helps.

Zumina
03-27-2004, 02:33 PM
Who cares? I usually don't listen to anyone on here or PBN concerning gun setups. Most of you are nothing more than keyboard jockeys that hear something, put their own personal twist on it, and state is as fact. I've grown weary of hearing "that drop is too big" or "sliders suck, get a hinge" and "I used that and it sucked". Ignorance, lying, and unintelligent, uninformed remarks run rampant around here. This phenomenon might be connected to the mean age of online-paintballers being 14.

I'm also sick of hearing about what the pros use. F the pros. Their being "pros" doesn't do anything for me or paintball in general. Their un versatile setups are tailored to their ridiculous style of play. What works on an air field differs from what works for almost every other aspect of paintball. If that wasn't the case, we'd all be running around with 18" barrels and 15 pods.

Major Jam
03-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Zumina
...unintelligent, uninformed remarks run rampant around here.

...we'd all be running around with 18" barrels and 15 pods.

The irony is thick in your post.

Shykicker
03-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Well, to be fair, everything's been said before, and will be said again without regards to how true or accurate it is. The only way to prove it is on the field, and in that case, I've got a bag of PMI Premium with your name on it. :D

GT
03-27-2004, 06:41 PM

He says its because elbows arent rated to such high PSI.

that maybe true,
I thought most of the 4.5k fill nipples are SS and not nickel plated brass. Could be wrong though..

GoatBoy
03-28-2004, 02:33 AM
All this discussion on the subject, and so few pics?

It'd be interesting to put together a gallery of all different styles. Perhaps a new thread is in order? It's interesting to see how everyone holds their gun and works the trigger. I find myself analyzing this all the time when I watch people play.

Here's my setup.

http://www.jayloo.com/lib/get_file.php?id=1617

(Apologies for the craptastic pic quality.)

This is the mount I've mentioned elsewhere a few times. I don't normally hold the gun like this; this was just for illustrative purposes. Looking at it from the side, it's roughly the equivalent of a mini-drop forward. Looking from the back, it's a little like that drop-left. For my style, it is enough to push the tank completely out of the way, and I can keep my elbow and everything tucked in while fanning or normal firing. Meanwhile, the gun remains very compact.