PDA

View Full Version : n2 lethal?

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-25-2004, 12:53 AM
ok i just emptied my n2 tank in my room....

After contacting a few people i am still clueless as to what can happen...

is n2 lethal? cause i just let about 2000 psi of it out in my room with no ventalation.

TeamNausea
03-25-2004, 12:55 AM
Turn on a fan or something...I doubt it'll kill you though if your room is normal size since it won't be concentrated!

Steelrat
03-25-2004, 01:01 AM
You mean your HPA tank? All thats in there is compressed air. If you mean actual Nitrogen, the only way it could hurt you is if it displaced all the normal air in your room. Air is mostly nitrogen anyways. No harm done.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-25-2004, 01:04 AM
ok, just makin sure. i didnt want to wake up talking like micky mouse or anythin

Dayspring
03-25-2004, 01:14 AM
That's HELIUM.

Originally posted by SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
ok, just makin sure. i didnt want to wake up talking like micky mouse or anythin

No sKiLLz
03-25-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Dayspring
That's HELIUM.

That's actually kind of a funny idea....

Lethargic
03-25-2004, 01:24 AM
funny like: HAHAHA This is funny... Holy Crap I can't breathe helium! And then you pass out and die. If that is what you meant by funny, then yeah, it would be quite funny:D

The nitrogen won't kill you. I doubt there is enough, and your room isn't sealed enough to keep it there even if it was concentrated.

Dayspring
03-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Actually they use Helium in SCUBA tanks in the oxygen mix. It's less soluble in blood than nitrogen. When you're deep enough, nitrogen under that much pressure can act as a narcotic.

Originally posted by Lethargic
funny like: HAHAHA This is funny... Holy Crap I can't breathe helium! And then you pass out and die. If that is what you meant by funny, then yeah, it would be quite funny:D

The nitrogen won't kill you. I doubt there is enough, and your room isn't sealed enough to keep it there even if it was concentrated.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-25-2004, 02:59 AM
well...i'm still alive so i guess n2 isnt lethal :)

Joni
03-25-2004, 05:43 AM
Air:
80% N2
19% O2
1% Other

If N2 was dangerous, we would all be dead by now =)

TheDuelist
03-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Its the 1% of "other" that bothers me.

Load SM5
03-25-2004, 07:25 AM
The 1% is actually rich, creamy nougat.

Little known fact...really.

1stdeadeye
03-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Joni
Air:
80% N2
19% O2
1% Other

If N2 was dangerous, we would all be dead by now =)

The 1% is actually remenants of the "pull my finger game"!;)

rkjunior303
03-25-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Load SM5
The 1% is actually rich, creamy nougat.

Little known fact...really.

I just died lauging @ my desk at work after reading this.. "Uhh nothing, just working..Nothing's funny at all" lol

steveo356
03-25-2004, 10:31 PM
HMmm make a mna think helium =lighter then air= lighter tank= happy pb players = more sales= Whoa im on to sumthing i wunder if it cna be compressed but the problem would be pb pleyers would be nown for havin donald duck voices even tho that would be sweet

DeerChaser
03-25-2004, 10:36 PM
A room of 100% N2 WILL kill you before you finish one breath. Your N2 tank doesn't have enough to fill the room.

RenagadeOfFunk
03-25-2004, 10:40 PM
...Snyper is a Freshman...
...I thinki i solved everyone elses problems :):cool:

...i think the Helium tank was tested...i believe the balls flew much higher-longer :)

CaptaiN_JacK
03-25-2004, 10:50 PM
cant you get high off nitrogen, or was that some other type of gas. ive heard of parties that sell "party balloons", which are filled with some sort of gas that gets you high...

DeerChaser
03-25-2004, 10:56 PM
NOS

DeerChaser
03-25-2004, 10:58 PM
If you think liquid co2 is cool, try liquid helium.

FooTemps
03-25-2004, 11:00 PM
NO! HOW DARE YOU!? It is NOT called NOS. THAT IS A BRAND OF NITROUS SYSTEMS. HELL I DON'T EVEN THINK IT'S CALLED NOS ANYMORE!

Nitrous oxide is the gas, NOS is "NITROUS OXIDE SYSTEMS"! GET IT STRAIGHT YOU RICE BURNER IDIOT! DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE

edweird
03-25-2004, 11:04 PM
Actually there is a way to die from N2... but ya paintball tank isnt going to do it.

The human body will breathe Nitrogen as though its O2 and will eventually pass out over a long time. Your lungs will eventually fill up with water and it will apear you drown to death.

All in all its not a painfull way to go.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-25-2004, 11:09 PM
*scratches head*

how is that not a paintful way to die?

cphilip
03-25-2004, 11:10 PM
Air is almost 21% Oxygen (most times).... most of the rest Nitrogen almost 78%. The 1 point something percent left is rare gasses (argon etc...) and CO2. Something around that...

Pure nitrogen would indeed be an Asphixiant gas but it would indeed have to displace enough Air in the room to get it below safe breathing percentage of Oxygen. Thats below like 17% and then on down much less. Anything below 19% is considered "bad air" but most likely will not kill ya fast. Its like high altitude stuff. But your not going to do that with your paintball tank in your room.... And your not likely to have pure Nitrogen in your paintball tank. Most people are not buying pure Nitrogen gas for fills. Its a bit more expensive to buy and use. It works fine though. But its just not likely you even had it in there. You more than likely had High Pressure air.

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-25-2004, 11:24 PM
guess i'm not gonna die then :)

edweird
03-25-2004, 11:29 PM
yeah phil cleared up my incoherent "I gotta type fast and get to the bathroom explanation" there.

basicly your body will not know any diffrent that its not getting any o2 and you will start feeling sleepy and eventually pass out. No pain involved but it would require LOTS of pure n2 and LOTS of time in a room that could be purged of standard air with ease

In other words not bloody likley... especially with your HPA tank

shades
03-28-2004, 09:46 AM
When you emptied your tank, if you did not start laughing without cause you proably just had high pressure air in your tank. Plus, you should keep alittle pressure in your tank to prevent moisture getting in.

Gabriel
03-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by RenagadeOfFunkRTPcf
...Snyper is a Freshman...
...I thinki i solved everyone elses problems :):cool:

...i think the Helium tank was tested...i believe the balls flew much higher-longer :)

No, he'S an idiot...

Snyper, can you do us a favor and quit posting stupid crap like this? If you wanna take up space for pointless threads, do it in the friendly corner, this is not the 'I got my something stuck somewhere' or 'i know nothing about chemistry' forum.

chizle97
03-28-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by FooTemps

NO! HOW DARE YOU!? It is NOT called NOS. THAT IS A BRAND OF NITROUS SYSTEMS. HELL I DON'T EVEN THINK IT'S CALLED NOS ANYMORE!

Nitrous oxide is the gas, NOS is "NITROUS OXIDE SYSTEMS"! GET IT STRAIGHT YOU RICE BURNER IDIOT! DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE

calm down man, its just a car ad-on. Thats it. yes some people dont uderstand its just a company, but dont let it get your beef(or tofu if your a vegitarian)

nt2004
03-28-2004, 05:08 PM
actually i read something about a new form of Capital Punishment that hasnt been used yet. It's like a gas chamber, but they siphon out the air and replace it with pure nitrogen. Eventually the person passes out and suffocates painlessly. You'd have to have all nitrogen in your room and no oxygen for it to even harm you though

OysterBoy
03-28-2004, 05:24 PM
cant fill a tank with helium, im pretty sure because its atomic mass is way too low, so youd either need a bigger tank or higher strength tank (what normally woul take 300 PSI would take 500 PSI, or maybe thats not right....)

personman
03-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Yea I think the only ways nitrogen can hurt you is if you are breating 100% concentration or if it gets into your bloodstream (IE, you have a leak on your paintball gun and you try to stop it with your finger :p )

MinimagRockin'
03-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by shades
When you emptied your tank, if you did not start laughing without cause you proably just had high pressure air in your tank. Plus, you should keep alittle pressure in your tank to prevent moisture getting in.

You are thinking of nitrous oxide. Nitrogen is a completely different gas and, as said earlier, makes up the majority of the air you are breathing right now.

JimmyBeam
03-28-2004, 07:46 PM
the only way you could die is from asphyxiation (sp) too much n2 and not enough o2 can be hazardous to your health. you would just suffocate to death, but in a well ventilated room you should be ok

FalconGuy016
03-28-2004, 07:53 PM
And helium is not as common and cheap as air, although it would be cool to see if it worked :)