PDA

View Full Version : Is knowledgeable AOL user an oxymoron?

AGD-OfficeGal
03-25-2004, 03:10 PM
So far, every AOL-using customer I have spoken to has been clueless when I have mentioned that recent AOL versions automatically pull out any mail NOT designated by the recipient as coming from a friend and set it aside as spam. I get call after call from AOL users who have not received the emails I sent about the Go-X program. Since I have a real ISP, I have no idea how these AOL users are supposed to designate mail from airgun.com as "friendly."

Is there anyone out there who DOES know how to do this and can post a brief and CLEAR tutorial on the subject? I will link to your post from the store and make you famous. Well, sort of.

Breathing smoke
Marcia

WARPED1
03-25-2004, 03:34 PM
I have the solution, it's real easy! DON'T USE AOL!

nittany
03-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Don't use aol, aim, internet explorer, or maybe aol/microsoft products all together.

Dryden
03-25-2004, 04:02 PM
This does not work with MacOS X. MacOS users can login as a guest account from a Windows PC to control their filtering.

AOL users should only need to add @airgun.com to their address book - this automatically bypasses Spam Controls. Sorry, can't do the hands on walk-through right now at work. I'll check at home in a couple of hours, I've got several different copies of AOL there I can run through if there are differences between v.8 and v.9.

The following is from AOL:
---

NOTE: You need to be signed on with a Master Screen Name or a Screen Name with a General Access Parental Control category to adjust the Mail Controls. A Master Screen Name is the first Screen Name you created for this account and any Screen Name you have assigned Master Screen Name status at AOL Keyword: Names.

1. Go to AOL Keyword: Spam Controls.
2. Select the Screen Name you wish to adjust from the drop-menu at the top of the Mail and Spam Controls window. For Screen Names on a General Access category, you can only adjust the Mail Controls for that Screen Name itself.
3. Remove the checkmark next to 'Mail filtered by AOL's Advanced Spam Filter' to disable it, then click SAVE.

NOTE:
- To clear your individual Advanced Spam Filter and allow it to start over, click AOL's Advanced Spam Filter in the Mail and Spam Controls window, then click Clear Filter.

- Each AOL Screen Name uses a separate Spam Filter.

If you would like to have the e-mail forwarded to your online mailbox, kindly follow the steps that I have prepared for you below:

1. Please visit www.aol.com and click on the Mail icon.
2. Sign on using your Screen Name and password.
3. Click on the Spam folder link on the lower left corner of the window.
4. Check the e-mail in the Spam folder box, and if you recognize an e-mail that you should be put on your online mailbox, please click on the THIS IS NOT SPAM button.

You can also visit Keyword: SPAM FOLDER to access your Spam folder box inside the AOL software and click on the THIS IS NOT SPAM button for every legitimat e-mail you have found on this area.

As an additional information, may I suggest that you add the addresses that you have found in your Spam folder to your Address Book. By doing so, e-mail from this addresses will be forwarded directly to your online mailbox instead of the Spam folder box.

TeamNausea
03-25-2004, 04:17 PM
I use aol and it's very simple... Just look in the dang spam folder... It shows every piece of mail that you have gotten and is considered "not friendly"

epterry
03-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Yes, it is any oxymoron. Dealing with AOL is simple, simply go to the my computer icon, click the control panel icon, click the add remove programs icon, select AOL, click the add/remove button, Then go get Internet explorer or Netscape... and possibly a brain. Sorry if I offended anyone but chances are if you are using AOL it will block this post as spam.;) :D

Chris42050
03-25-2004, 06:33 PM
AOL tries to make everything so simple for the user that they end up making everything harder to use. Its ridiculous. I H8 AOHell.

Dryden
03-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Marcia,

I called Friday regarding a goof in a shipment confirmation (I received one destined for someone else). I realized today that AOL users would also need to add [email protected] to their address books, otherwise they will mark their shipping confirmations as spam.

- Rich B

la690
03-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Mail > Mail Controls > "Click here to access your Spam Folder" > highlight the email that you want and click "This is Not Spam"