PDA

View Full Version : Do you really know what hype is?

tony3
03-25-2004, 05:31 PM
It seems like that word "hype" gets thrown around the forums A LOT lately(past few months). It just seems like lots of people here on AO don't even know what hype is, or atleast think they know what it is, and use the word blindly.

Such in the thread about how the new dynasty shockers are in at pbgear.

Heres what the first post had in it

"As far as it compares to my 03shocker heres what the dynastys got that the stock doesnt.

-Further forward front reg to make room for the larger trigger guard to accomidate people with "chubby" fingers.
-A MUCH better stock trigger. This one is wider and has a groove.
-Clamping feedkneck
-supposedly the new SP high efficiency bolt kit (couldnt take it apart to see)
-Freak barrel annod blue with Stainless steel insert (i beleive a 689 but dont quote me)
-Snatch grip
-Dynastys milling (im not a fan, but then again i think alot of the 04 guns are just outright hideous)"

Heres the next post in the thread:

"no way that is worth $400 more not one bit if u hyped it anymore you'd sound like a salesmen"

Did he hype that up at all? It just seems like he was telling everyone what it had on it. Are people on AO using the term hype and they have no idea what it REALLY means?

Open for opinions...

*edited for grammar*

Brophog
03-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Hype is short for hyperbole, which is an exaggeration.

If you said it shot 30 bps, but really hadn't tested it, that is hype. If you say that it has a 12 inch barrel, and you measured it, that is not.

taylor492
03-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by tony3
...Are you people on AO using the term hype and they have no idea what it REALLY means?

Worry about your own grammar problems.;)

tony3
03-25-2004, 07:34 PM
I fixed it Taylor, I just hope I didn't hurt your feelings....

Enemy
03-25-2004, 07:55 PM
your right some people do over use the word hype. in that post the only thing that i could see anywhere close to hype is that the stock trigger is better cuz it has a grove on it. granted its obviously an opinion but just because of the grove it doesnt make it any better a trigger just taylored to another groups liking. but then again i may just be being alittle over critical. anyhow yeah you are right.

taylor492
03-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by tony3
I fixed it Taylor, I just hope I didn't hurt your feelings....

I'll survive [/sarcasm]

yeahthatsme
03-25-2004, 11:45 PM
they do it to try to be cool and shut somebody down. thats been happening on AO just with different stuff. this time its misusing hype, it used to be people telling everybody to search instead of answering their posts....it happens, i just do my best to correct people that try to be cool by putting people down.