PDA

View Full Version : well they dont want clear hoppers, then just .....

datapimp69
03-25-2004, 11:20 PM
dye the thing, yes even the halo can be dyed. it just takes longer.

first i knew that the halo was going to be tough, so i used 3 bottles of rit dye in each color.

then i kept it hot and let it soake a LONG time, like 2hrs each color.

but it seems to have taken the color well. except for the black, but we all know how hard a color black is to dye.

well now for the pics.

first black
http://www.dppp.net/images/halo/halo6.jpg
black done
http://www.dppp.net/images/halo/halo9.jpg
now red
http://www.dppp.net/images/halo/halo10.jpg
red done
http://www.dppp.net/images/halo/halo11.jpg
on the gun
http://www.dppp.net/images/halo/halo3.jpg

there is just one thing you have to watch out for. DONT let the dye get to HOT.
http://www.dppp.net/images/halo/halo4.jpg

andrewnelles
03-25-2004, 11:24 PM
looks great, nice Xmag. I just dyed my EGG smoke/grey. Well it was suppsoe to be navy blue but 1 bottle of liquid rit dye and 3 hours later it was smoke grey. lol

Dayspring
03-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Looks awesome Data!

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-25-2004, 11:31 PM
!!! where can i get this rit dye?!

Dayspring
03-25-2004, 11:32 PM
Specialty stores...

Most call them the grocery store. ;)

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
03-25-2004, 11:34 PM
*bangs head on desk repeatidly* - why didn't i think of that?

yeahthatsme
03-25-2004, 11:52 PM
B-E-A-UTIFULL! thats just amazing, i'm gonna have to get clear shells now...cus my red ones are cracked...and make it blue/black fade...just because...and it will rule....http://www.automags.org/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

tyrion2323
03-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Oh hell yeah Data! That's the best looking hopper I've seen yet!

Jacob

jayloo
03-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Sorry data but I am goin to have to do this to a halo soon as I get my xmag.

Great idea:D

Halliday
03-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Looks good.

Cliffio
03-26-2004, 12:41 AM
what temp was the dye?

QUINCYMASSGUY
03-26-2004, 12:47 AM
and in doing this, does it pretty much ruin the pot you're dying it in?

also, could you tape the point you want the dye to not cross to have a nice, clean split?

TransMan
03-26-2004, 12:52 AM
Is there anyway you could liek tape off areas so that you could dye patterns and stuff??

Cliffio
03-26-2004, 12:55 AM
i dont think tape works, last i heard you had to use wax or something of that nature

Halliday
03-26-2004, 12:57 AM
Yeah I think it ruins the pot. Just buy a cheap one at the local thrift store. "That great pot you bought just got someone a job, and a paintballer a cool looking hopper."

QUINCYMASSGUY
03-26-2004, 01:01 AM
maybe I could do a local batch for AO*MA ballers or something, soak up the cost a little (no pun intended)...

govnamac
03-26-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Cliffio
i dont think tape works, last i heard you had to use wax or something of that nature

I think both tape would become unstuck from the hopper, and the wax would melt away.

TransMan
03-26-2004, 01:06 AM
how bout super glue or summin like that?

QUINCYMASSGUY
03-26-2004, 01:08 AM
transman, we are definitely thinking the same way, using crazy glue first, dying, then using nail polish remover on the crazy glue to remove it might work, not sure though

TransMan
03-26-2004, 01:10 AM
ya might havta do some experimenting on some old crappy pods to see if it will work would hate to screw up a HALO shell. :)

FallNAngel
03-26-2004, 01:52 AM
I see you tried dyeing the lid seperately... would it have turned out had you left it on the hopper?

magman007
03-26-2004, 02:01 AM
you want designs eh? well heres how!

http://www.e-lacrosse.com/stech9.html

yes, the world of lacrosse saves joo!!!

from what i understand tho, if you wanted designs, you would have to mirrior them on the inside of the shell as well, to generate the clear color you want or otherwise... catch my drift?

tribalman
03-26-2004, 12:05 PM
um..didn't u guys read the link?

"If you are planning on creating some kind of design and are dyeing your head something other than one solid color you will need some of the following.
duct tape or electrical tape...waterproof letter and number stickers..."
there you go. now u can do what ever u want.

*edit* also, what temp is the dye not supposed to reach so we don't get the warping?

TransMan
03-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by tribalman
um..didn't u guys read the link?

"If you are planning on creating some kind of design and are dyeing your head something other than one solid color you will need some of the following.
duct tape or electrical tape...waterproof letter and number stickers..."
there you go. now u can do what ever u want.
Yes I went into the future and read the link that was in response to my post but I didnt want anyone to know I had a time machine so I posted my question anyway not to mention the fact that I would have changed history..... :rolleyes:

oneshot
03-26-2004, 12:39 PM
looks nice, walmart carries rit dye,

Cryer
03-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Excellent thread, DP!!

How about some more in-depth step-by-step instructions, Temperatures etc...

Magman: Great Link!

QUINCYMASSGUY
03-26-2004, 12:59 PM
tribalman, here's a link for you:

http://www.dictionary.com

Look up chronological as it explains how the posts appear on this page and since transman's and mine are earlier in the order, it means they were posted.... still following me tribalman?...... BEFORE the link. So don't be a jerk because you may just end up looking like an idiot.

Anyways venting aside, back on topic, magman007, thanks for the link, I am definitely looking at getting some clear pods and a clear halo and having some fun with this. I would definitely take the shell apart so I could waterproof the inside as well as the outside but this could turn out real cool. I guess another question is if you dye something totally black, can you resubmerge that part in, say, blue, and not change the black color since it's already as dark as you can go?

Cryer
03-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Quincy-

If you dye an area black, then overlap with another color [blue], it will stay black, but will have a blue tint to it. The blue dye wont take out the black dye...

CodeMA
03-26-2004, 05:50 PM
sweet looking hopper data!

rit dye great stuff, some guy used black on a blue profiler made it a nice black almost navy/blue grey color, looks great... I like anyway

fire1811
03-26-2004, 06:44 PM
nice good job

1stdeadeye
03-26-2004, 07:39 PM
That is awesome.

Looks like a lot of hassle though to make it happen.

Good job. Maybe I should dye my Eggo black to match my X!;)

evan123
03-26-2004, 07:50 PM
That is so cool, really nice job.

ChucktheMAGician
04-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Cryer
How about some more in-depth step-by-step instructions, Temperatures etc...!
Upping this, Help us out Data :)

Enemy
04-03-2004, 03:51 AM
hey has anyone tried this by dying black then letting it dry then dying it again sometimes that works seeing how the dye will coat over the old just as if you were dying from one color to the next just a thought anyhow thats great now if only they made a blue to black fade pipe!!!

Paintball_4_Fun
04-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by TransMan
Is there anyway you could liek tape off areas so that you could dye patterns and stuff??
Use hot glue

TraXeR
04-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Paintball_4_Fun

Use hot glue

Wouldn't that kind of hurt the shell if the glue was hot enough? I'd think it would make a 'dent' or groove in the shell from the heat, which could cause shell breaking problems later. Just a thought, just a thought.

Skoad
04-03-2004, 07:53 AM
I highly doubt hot glue will damage the shell. I'm not sure how the glue will hold up when you dunk it in the heated dye, although I don't know how hot you have to get it.

It's a neat idea to use the glue if you wanted to do some wacky pattern on the side of your hopper. I don't know what else you would use

shartley
04-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Good thread!

As for ruining the pot….. I don’t know about anyone else, but I HAVE used this dye for things and it HAS NOT ruined my pot. But for those who are afraid of that, like posted, you can get cheap pots quite easily.

And for those who want to use wax to make designs… I don’t recommend using a substance that has a low melting point and placing the item in hot liquid. ;)

kscullin
04-03-2004, 02:48 PM
I like. That's extremely cool - a fade hopper that matches your marker. Excellent job.

That should turn some heads.

felony
04-03-2004, 03:00 PM
Sorry for not reading, question already answered

dan

gungrave253
04-05-2004, 08:22 PM
well i couldnt see the pix:(

im planning on doing a solid black to light-smoke or clear then take the new fusion spray paint that chemically bonds to plastic and put grey flames on it. just wondering how many packets of dye and how long this mif=ght take. im gonna experiment on some pods first but i heard that the better grade plastic of the halo takes forever.

thanx for the help