PDA

View Full Version : Empire Reloader B review

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 05:36 AM
I'll make it short and sweet. It has three speed settings, can run off four batteries (won't last as long of course) and has solved all the problems of that crappy IR eye they put on the Halo.

It's a little more work than a halo, though. You have to turn it on empty or upside down. The loader has a boot sequence that includes a quick calibration and turn of the feeder cup. In other words, when you first load it, you have to turn it on first (empty), let it prime, and when you see the cup rotate, then you can feed. The noise caused by dumping the paint in the hopper will be enough to rotate and load the feedneck.

However, if you shut it off in between games and want to turn it back on again, you have to go through the same priming sequence. In order to properly prepare for it, the hopper either needs to be either emptied or turned upside down, and have the balls rotated out with the rip drive before you reboot the loader. If you don't do this, two things can happen. The cup will rotate to prime and force the paint already in the feedneck even further (double feed or perhaps break the paint if it's brittle), or it will fail to calibrate properly and you have to start the reboot again with the feedneck empty.

I would probably rather use a halo out of convenience if I wasn't sending it back to the factory this week for it's THIRD new motor. I'm putting up with the Empire quirks more out of frustration and hatred for my halo than actual practicality. Can someone just stop rotating on their thumbs and put a break beam eye in the freakin thing?

So much for short and sweet.

sneakyhacker420
03-26-2004, 08:22 AM
i LOVE my reloader-b to death!!!!

but would you like to tell me how to get to the different speed settings? mine didnt come with a manual or anything of the like... just a plastic bag, and a fancy box

Torbo
03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
i really like mine. Ive been running it on 4 batterys, which is nice, but yeah they do run through pretty quickly. It seems ok to turn it on with paint in it, since once the spring has all its tension, it cant be wound more even if the motor spins. Someone plese explain the settings, and what an orange LED light means when it goes on during startup. Overall though, i find that its definatly worth the 20 extra bucks.

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Here's the manual. And Empire does not recommend what you are doing Torbo, for the reasons listed above. But to each his own.

http://www.empirepaintball.com/html/pdfs/reloaderb_manual.pdf

Torbo
03-26-2004, 03:13 PM
thanks for the info

Mindflux
03-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by No sKiLLz
I would probably rather use a halo out of convenience if I wasn't sending it back to the factory this week for it's THIRD new motor. I'm putting up with the Empire quirks more out of frustration and hatred for my halo than actual practicality. Can someone just stop rotating on their thumbs and put a break beam eye in the freakin thing?

So much for short and sweet.

That must be why you bought a halo in a different shell. For the more reliable motor right? :rolleyes:

It's the SAME equipment, with sound activation. Woo-hoo! Go you!

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Mindflux

That must be why you bought a halo in a different shell. For the more reliable motor right? :rolleyes:

Wow. You just made an idiot of yourself.

Lesson for Mindflux who is too poor to own a Halo:
Halo has an IR eye. This eye sometimes doesn't read paint. If the Halo doesn't read paint it will try to spin. If it tries to keep spinning while paint is backed up in the feedneck, the motor will burn.

Here's a shoehorn to help you get your foot out of your mouth.

*hands Mindflux shoehorn*

FallNAngel
03-26-2004, 03:58 PM
If the Halo doesn't read paint it will try to spin. If it tries to keep spinning while paint is backed up in the feedneck, the motor will burn.

...isn't that one of the things the Z-Board was supposed to fix? :confused:

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by FallNAngel

...isn't that one of the things the Z-Board was supposed to fix? :confused:

Yep. When the motor was jammed, it would blink red and stop working. You would have to turn off your loader and turn it back on again to shoot, but if the eye still couldn't read the paint it would just blink red and stop working again. Pretty inconvenient to have to turn your loader on every time you want to shoot during a game, isn't it?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! Does everyone think that the Reloader B came out with sound activation for health reasons?!!! JEEEEEEEEEESSSSSUUUUUSSSS!!!!

Bad_Knees
03-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Ford or Chevy :eek: JK ;)

Mindflux
03-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Halo has an IR eye. This eye sometimes doesn't read paint. If the Halo doesn't read paint it will try to spin. If it tries to keep spinning while paint is backed up in the feedneck, the motor will burn.

My Halo B (Which I can own, and do own) reads paint fine. Have fun with your halo by another name.

I've never burned a motor up in it either, Zcode is your friend believe it or not.

I also own both of these, oh yeah and the domain the pics come off too.

Along with a flatline 72/4.5k

http://forums.dubdriver.com/modules/gallery/albums/album05/DSC00269.jpg Too poor for WHAAAAAAAAA?

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Bad_Knees
Ford or Chevy :eek: JK ;)

Osama wants YOU!

(Hijacker)

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 04:41 PM

My Halo B (Which I can own, and do own) reads paint fine. Have fun with your halo by another name.

I've never burned a motor up in it either, Zcode is your friend believe it or not.

I also own both of these, oh yeah and the domain the pics come off too.

Along with a flatline 72/4.5k

http://forums.dubdriver.com/modules/gallery/albums/album05/DSC00269.jpg Too poor for WHAAAAAAAAA?

Maybe you should buy cheaper guns so you can afford to play more, because anyone who has Halo and plays more than once every six months has had problems with it, a$$ clown.

And anyone who brags about owning a domain is too poor to have it.

Bad_Knees
03-26-2004, 04:41 PM
I know you said you have different feed speeds, is it similar to the upgrade board that is out for the Halos? The Victory board?

BK

Mindflux
03-26-2004, 04:42 PM

Maybe you should buy cheaper guns so you can afford to play more, because anyone who has Halo and plays more than once every six months has had problems with it, a$$ clown.

Hrmm..

Lemme see, last month. I played 4 days. (over the course of 3 weekends).

Halo's still going strong, and it's not brand new either.

For shame, you ought to use the shoehorn for yourself.

"anyone who brags about owning a domain is too poor to have it"? Uh.. I have a domain, where's yours. Oh? Too poor to have one?

GTakacs
03-26-2004, 04:43 PM

The HALO has a reflective eye and it does not sense the presence or absence of a ball, it senses the variance in the light reflectance (it measures the derivative of the signal) Checking for presence of a ball would infringe on another patent, so they decided to use the other, analog method which works a lot better.

I have a HALO-B that works just fine, no problems what-so-ever. But that's just me.

However I kind of feel that if HALOS were as bad as you portray them, they would go out of business fairly qucikly, I don't think they have allocated warranty claim budget would cover 3-4 motors for everyone.

Oh, and that "Mindflux is poor" comment was totally uncalled for dude.

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Bad_Knees
I know you said you have different feed speeds, is it similar to the upgrade board that is out for the Halos? The Victory board?

BK

The Empire has three speed settings. I think the Victoy board has more.

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by GTakacs

The HALO has a reflective eye and it does not sense the presence or absence of a ball, it senses the variance in the light reflectance (it measures the derivative of the signal) Checking for presence of a ball would infringe on another patent, so they decided to use the other, analog method which works a lot better.

I have a HALO-B that works just fine, no problems what-so-ever. But that's just me.

However I kind of feel that if HALOS were as bad as you portray them, they would go out of business fairly qucikly, I don't think they have allocated warranty claim budget would cover 3-4 motors for everyone.

Oh, and that "Mindflux is poor" comment was totally uncalled for dude.

And since this turned into a lookie what I have thread, here is my marker (I also own my domain name and host :p :

http://gregtakacs.com/AO/marker.jpg

Ok, this is getting out of hand. You two have these wonderful claims about your Halos, guess what, I DON'T CARE!!! The Empire B reloader is sound activate because the Halo IR eye SUX!!! If you don't think the IR eye was designed to detect the presence of the paint, then how the hell do you think your Halo works?! If you don't think Halo's are unreliable, go out and play more! Talk to people who have had them. Talk to people who have had SEVERAL! THEY BREAK!

And as far as my "uncalled for" comment, I think this was far more uncalled for:

That must be why you bought a halo in a different shell. For the more reliable motor right?

Mindflux
03-26-2004, 05:03 PM

And as far as my "uncalled for" comment, I think this was far more uncalled for:

Uh, I didn't personally attack you. I didn't call you poor, dumb, stupid, french or otherwise.

You, however did.

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 05:11 PM

Hrmm..

Lemme see, last month. I played 4 days. (over the course of 3 weekends).

Halo's still going strong, and it's not brand new either.

For shame, you ought to use the shoehorn for yourself.

"anyone who brags about owning a domain is too poor to have it"? Uh.. I have a domain, where's yours. Oh? Too poor to have one?

Hahaha! Well I own two Ferrari's and have a house on the boardwalk in Newport. And I went out 6 times this month!:rolleyes:

Talk is cheap, and that's all you can do. I review the Empire B loader for everyones edification and you decide to make a smart a$$ comment. Go back to PBN and pretend to be cool there, because there are plenty of people in this forum that have real Halo problems that want to know more about other alternatives.

And I will take that shoehorn back because you need the Jaws of Life to get your head out of your a$$.

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 05:12 PM
What the hell do you call this?

SlartyBartFast
03-26-2004, 05:16 PM
TO change the thread to something other than childish griping and name calling,:rolleyes:

What's the point of having different feed speeds? Don't you want the loader to feed a fast as absolutely possible so that you don't chop/miss during your quickest trigger pull or however fast you marker is set to fire?

Mindflux
03-26-2004, 05:16 PM
What the hell do you call this?

I was alerting you that the equipment was all the same, you make it sound like halo motors just engulf themselves in flames. :rolleyes:

Anyway, enjoy your Halo.

tyrion2323
03-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Guys, don't argue about this. It's a simple case of over-reacting to a troll.

GTakacs
03-26-2004, 05:22 PM

Ok, this is getting out of hand. You two have these wonderful claims about your Halos, guess what, I DON'T CARE!!! The Empire B reloader is sound activate because the Halo IR eye SUX!!! If you don't think the IR eye was designed to detect the presence of the paint, then how the hell do you think your Halo works?! If you don't think Halo's are unreliable, go out and play more! Talk to people who have had them. Talk to people who have had SEVERAL! THEY BREAK!

Uhm, I wonder why the HALO-B has a 9.4/10 rating on pbreview from over 100 people. I'm sure it's because of all the failed motors :rolleyes: . Note that I haven't found a low rating that was dissing the motors.
http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/1237/

If you can't comprehend first derivatives, basic concept of motion of balls and the angle of attack of reflectivity, then I can't explain you how the HALO-B detects balls.

As for asking people around: I have talked with the captain of Team Licid, a local Texas Novice team who are sponsored by Odyssey paintball.

He said:"we had an issue last season where we were burning up motors, but it was due to a bad batch of motors and the type of paint we were using was making the halo fight itself"
[then] "the Z series software came out"
"we laugh because we think that they developed the software because Odyssey got tired of us having to swap out motors"

So there you have it! Note that their back guys actually go through 5 cases of paint a practice, several times a month.

Just because you never bothered to upgrade to the Z-board and likely had the combination of things (bad batch of motor, paint color) that caused an issue, it doesn't mean that the HALO B with the z-board is non-functional poop.

I'm happy that you're happy with your new Empire loader, to me it's just another HALO with some new gadgets to make it more appealing. Just as the Empire Timmy is the same as an Alias Timmy that costs $200 more.

And if you could lay off the name calling and questioning people's income level, your review might gain more credibility.

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 05:22 PM

I was alerting you that the equipment was all the same, you make it sound like halo motors just engulf themselves in flames. :rolleyes:

Anyway, enjoy your Halo.

I said a million times the IR eye is the problem. The motor engulfs itself in flames because it doesn't know when to shut off, unless you have a Z-code, in which case if it can't read the paint it will lock itself, and needs to be turned off, and then on again when you want to shoot, and since it still won't read the paint, it will lock up again and the cycle is repeated.

Anyway, enjoy PBN.:p

Oddball
03-26-2004, 05:28 PM
well,

I have had a Halo B for maybe 10 months now, never had any problems. It has a rip drive but not z-code. Shot paint that was yellow, blue, pink, orange, and brown shelled thru it. If I had a choice between a Halo B or a Empire Reloader, I would get the Halo B. I don't need different speeds for the loader, the B is pleanty fast for me, and turning on the Reloader either empty or upside down sounds like a pain. But I am sure that some ppl will like the Reloader more then then the B, I am sure they are both good products.

No sKiLLz
03-26-2004, 05:39 PM
OMFG PBN has come to me.

Uhm, I wonder why the HALO-B has a 9.4/10 rating on pbreview from over 100 people. I'm sure it's because of all the failed motors :rolleyes: . Note that I haven't found a low rating that was dissing the motors.
http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/1237/

Everything has a 9 or higher on PB Review. I can't believe you would quote that as a resource.

If you can't comprehend first derivatives, basic concept of motion of balls and the angle of attack of reflectivity, then I can't explain you how the HALO-B detects balls.

I comprehend them just fine thanks. I know how the IR eye works and your first statement about them was erroneous as you tried to make it sound like I was wrong about something I never even addressed.

As for asking people around: I have talked with the captain of Team Licid, a local Texas Novice team who are sponsored by Odyssey paintball.

He said:"we had an issue last season where we were burning up motors, but it was due to a bad batch of motors and the type of paint we were using was making the halo fight itself"
[then] "the Z series software came out"
"we laugh because we think that they developed the software because Odyssey got tired of us having to swap out motors"

So there you have it! Note that their back guys actually go through 5 cases of paint a practice, several times a month.

Yep. There you have it alright. So what if they get a paint sponshorship from Severe or PMI and they are given cases of half black shelled paint? Now what? Keep using the Halo's and just turn them on and off over and over again during gameplay? I have nipples Greg. Could you milk me?

Just because you never bothered to upgrade to the Z-board and likely had the combination of things (bad batch of motor, paint color) that caused an issue, it doesn't mean that the HALO B with the z-board is non-functional poop.

Never said it was poop. I said the eye was poop. If Halo paid the royalties to use a break beam eye they would never have to deal with these issues except for maybe getting the eye blocked with paint if one exploded in the breech, which us another plus for sound activated loaders.

I'm happy that you're happy with your new Empire loader, to me it's just another HALO with some new gadgets to make it more appealing. Just as the Empire Timmy is the same as an Alias Timmy that costs $200 more.

And to those who play enough to experience the problems a halso can have, it's more than just a Halo with gadgets. $15 more is not a lot to spend to have a better loader.

And if you could lay off the name calling and questioning people's income level, your review might gain more credibility.

Ok Ghandi. If someone takes a shot at me, I'm going to serve them right back. Don't buy it if you don't like it, but don't clutter up a review thread with irrelevant crap.

Tron
03-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Did you have to show them your ******* card before you bought the loader? Because I am interested in getting one of these loaders but I put mine through the wash.

Reaver
03-26-2004, 07:27 PM
No sKiLLz dude stop being a freaking prick.....

I have had 2 halo motors burn 1 with out z and one with sooo....

Load SM5
03-26-2004, 08:25 PM
I suggest people stop bickering about stupid crap before they get some forced vacations! Sounds like a bunch of 12 year olds. Yeeesh.....:rolleyes:

Reaver
03-26-2004, 08:58 PM
thank youuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was wondering if pbn small talk had infiltrated this temple of refuge.

Steelrat
03-26-2004, 09:41 PM
I think most people who know their Halos steer away from the paint that the IR cant see. I've had 3 halos, and none of them have had any issues. The one Ive seen burn up was being used with black paint, a big no-no. I think the jury is still out on the long-term effectiveness of the Halo B reloader, though innovation in the industry is always a good thing.

rdb123
03-26-2004, 10:01 PM
No skillz, a break beam eye would be less effective than the IR reflective eye. The break beam would only start the motor when it detects a gap in the feedneck. The relfective IR senses ball stack MOVEMENT and starts the motor before a gap is ever formed.

steveo356
03-26-2004, 10:14 PM
quote:Hahaha! Well I own two Ferrari's and have a house on the boardwalk in Newport. And I went out 6 times this month!

Talk is cheap, and that's all you can do. I review the Empire B loader for everyones edification and you decide to make a smart a$$ comment. Go back to PBN and pretend to be cool there, because there are plenty of people in this forum that have real Halo problems that want to know more about other alternatives.

And I will take that shoehorn back because you need the Jaws of Life to get your head out of your a$$.
---------------------------------------------------------
um if u realy had that much cash you wouldnt bother arguing over which loader is better ud have one designed for u by the best and brightest paintball minds in the world unless u urself arent that bright

DiRTyBuNNy
03-26-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Load SM5
I suggest people stop bickering about stupid crap before they get some forced vacations! Sounds like a bunch of 12 year olds. Yeeesh.....:rolleyes:

and I don't remember you being a saint before you were given your mod powers either...

deathstalker
03-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Cool! A thread in which it appears other users have had more to drink tonight than I have!

As long as we're attacking each other, fix your sig, DB. Click the link in mine if you're clueless as to what's wrong with yours. ;)

IBC!!!

Load SM5
03-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by DiRTyBuNNy

and I don't remember you being a saint before you were given your mod powers either...

Which has exactly what to do with me doing my job now?

For instance, your sig image is over the limit of 20k. Change that, please.

tyrion2323
03-27-2004, 02:09 AM
Oh man, this is turning into something you'd see on PBN! Shut it down, Mods, shut it down!

Jacob

DiRTyBuNNy
03-27-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by tyrion2323
Oh man, this is turning into something you'd see on PBN! Shut it down, Mods, shut it down!

Jacob

exactly...it's called a discussion...something people on here seem to know nothing about...

No sKiLLz
03-28-2004, 03:17 AM
Wow. I don't know if being banned is a bad thing. I came here to escape AO, and then I see intelligent posts like...

Originally posted by Tron
Did you have to show them your ******* card before you bought the loader? Because I am interested in getting one of these loaders but I put mine through the wash.
What was that about? Did it add to the discussion? Did it accomplish anything, or did you just think you were being funny?
Maybe it's funnier if I say it to my face. Since you live in Socal, I personally invite you to come to the next AO day at SC Village and see if you can get me to laugh.

Originally posted by Reaver
No sKiLLz dude stop being a freaking prick.....

Why don't you read some of the post instead of jumping on the flame bandwagon. Or do you need your own set of Jaws of Life?

And this one. This one gets the Darwin award...

Originally posted by steveo356
um if u realy had that much cash you wouldnt bother arguing over which loader is better ud have one designed for u by the best and brightest paintball minds in the world unless u urself arent that bright
I don't think I need to comment on that one.

Now if you little flamers can leave this thread, maybe there are people who have real questions about the Empire.

Originally posted by SlartyBartFast
What's the point of having different feed speeds? Don't you want the loader to feed a fast as absolutely possible so that you don't chop/miss during your quickest trigger pull or however fast you marker is set to fire?
If the hopper is too fast it can break the paint or push the paint past your detents.

Load, ban me if you like, but if you read all the posts you know where the trouble started.

No sKiLLz
03-28-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by rdb123
No skillz, a break beam eye would be less effective than the IR reflective eye. The break beam would only start the motor when it detects a gap in the feedneck. The relfective IR senses ball stack MOVEMENT and starts the motor before a gap is ever formed.

Why? The trip tab works on a Rico Apache. Every time the ball trips the tab it agitates. Why not use that to detect motion? Maybe a breakbeam eye isn't the best option, and I threw it out as a crude suggestion, but how about the little flip tab like the Apache? It doesn't care what color paint you use and won't stop working if you blow a ball up and splash into the feedneck.

Ooooor, make it sound activated....

Tron
03-28-2004, 03:32 AM
[B]Wow. I don't know if being banned is a bad thing. I came here to escape AO, and then I see intelligent posts like...

What was that about? Did it add to the discussion? Did it accomplish anything, or did you just think you were being funny?
Maybe it's funnier if I say it to my face. Since you live in Socal, I personally invite you to come to the next AO day at SC Village and see if you can get me to laugh.

Why don't you read some of the post instead of jumping on the flame bandwagon. Or do you need your own set of Jaws of Life?

Yes and all your posts were creative, informative answers. I would have no problem saying it to your face. I did read it and you started out with flaming the HaloB. Good way to be objective while reviewing something. You put down the competitor which people pay updwards of $120 for in the first line, then expect people to take the review serious? And you were the big man when Mindflux posted right? You left it alone and didn't get into with him...oh wait you did.

I just call them like I see them.

Glad you like your reloader and I was actually planning on getting one but the priming and turning it on upside down is not for me. I did have a motor burn out and I sent it back to Odyssey they repaired it, updated the software and shipped it back on their dime. Everyone I know has a Halo and that's been the only problem, except maybe for cracked shells after repeated dropping.

p.s. If I go to a meet can I get a ride in one of your Ferrari's?

No sKiLLz
03-28-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Tron

Yes and all your posts were creative, informative answers. I would have no problem saying it to your face. I did read it and you started out with flaming the HaloB. Good way to be objective while reviewing something.

What is there to be objective about? Halo's burning out motors is a common problem. You said so yourself, and since I have one too, how the hell do you take that personally? Until now we didn't have a choice for force fed hoppers.

You put down the competitor which people pay updwards of $120 for in the first line, then expect people to take the review serious? And you were the big man when Mindflux posted right? You left it alone and didn't get into with him...oh wait you did.

What's worse? Sticking up for yourself, or taking a shot at someone you don't know when you're not involved in the discussion? I think the Pot is blacker than the kettle today...

I just call them like I see them.

Glad you like your reloader and I was actually planning on getting one but the priming and turning it on upside down is not for me. I did have a motor burn out and I sent it back to Odyssey they repaired it, updated the software and shipped it back on their dime. Everyone I know has a Halo and that's been the only problem, except maybe for cracked shells after repeated dropping.

Yes, and that problem is why Empire has no trouble selling these reloaders. At least till something better comes along.

p.s. If I go to a meet can I get a ride in one of your Ferrari's?

Don't encourage Stevo. I feel sorry for him as it is.

Tron
03-28-2004, 03:50 AM
lol good luck in life man. :D

JT2002
03-28-2004, 10:16 AM

...Just as the Empire Timmy is the same as an Alias Timmy that costs $200 more...

dont even get me started on that bull*****. they most deff are not the same, why dont u go look up the specs of the gun, and, oh yeah, you should take a look at em too. theres no reason for u to start bashing ppls guns in a thread where your already bashing the reloader b. wtf this thread was all about a review, now u tards hijacked the thread! damn A$$clowns! :mad: ;) :D

AcemanPB
03-28-2004, 10:39 AM
I have an EvolutionII and I own a Porsche :confused:

abaez
03-28-2004, 11:03 AM
I bought a halo. Motor burned after 1.5 months. Returned it to odyssey. After reading about many many people having the same problem I sold it. Damn if I'm going to pay 100$ for a hopper that breaks that fast.

JT2002
03-28-2004, 11:06 AM
mine has never burnt out on me in the 1+ year that i have owned it, and i do play more than once ever 3 months. lol. but it for some reason has always seemed to be slower than most other halo's ive seen, thats why im hoping the V35 board i just bought will fix that prob for me

LockNLoad
03-28-2004, 11:08 AM
I just bought a Halo. I had to give it a try.

This is a great review. I was considering the Empire loader, but am not a big fan of NPS stuff.

Other than the childish crap that came along after the review, I think this post is top notch.

No sKiLLz
03-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Continuing on with the issue at hand...used the Empire again this weekend, and it worked flawlessly. I did, for the sake of this review, try priming it with a full feedneck just to see what would happen and luckily I didn't break any paint, but when we took it to the range we noticed a lot of inconsistency in the way the reloader was behaving. It almost appeared to be "confused".

So yeah, it is more work than a halo to make it work right. Unless it's empty, it needs to be turned upside down and the feedneck needs to be emptied with the rip drive before you turn it on. For me, it's a small price to pay to not see wisp of smoke rise from my Halo to tell me I need to manually feed my gun for the rest of the game.

RRfireblade
03-28-2004, 06:36 PM
I'm just curious,

You had a big problem with the Halo burning up motors from over spinning and such.

With the sound activation,does it continue to try and 'wind up' if it hears noise other than the firing of the marker,like banging it on the side,balls banging around while running,etc.If so,would that not put the same strain on the motor? Or is there some sensitivity adjustment to limit the activation based on sound?

Also,it was originally stated by Odyssey that it would be slower than a normal Halo due to the sound activation,what's your opinion on the overall speed compared to the other?

RoadDawg
03-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Ok. First off No Skillz isn't being a prick. He's defending his opinion which some people seem to think others don't have. Now I for one have seen No Skillz Halo smoke. It did it at tombstone a few weeks back. This guy literally abuses his hoppers due to his aggressive style of play. Now I for one thought this was a very informative post til Mindflux and company took it as No Skillz bashing the B. No Skillz was bashing the B by his experiences. Even when he isn't using dark shelled paint the motor burned up. The fact it's on it's way too Odyessey for it's THIRD motor is saying something. This is however not the first case I've seen this. I've seen it at several boards. Hell I was at the LA Open and the Ricochet guy was saying he couldn't believe the # of people going in there with broken hoppers and in return would check out his Apache's while there Halo's were in the getting fixed line. Anyhow. I seen this thing in action this weekend. It was pretty sweet and I didn't notice any difference in speed. Then again I don't fire that fast. It takes a loud noise to set off the loader. The dumping of a pod sets it off and a direct yell into the hopper will set it off. It wasn't going off by us talking or yelling or moving it around. The loudness of the reloading did get it to spin but that allows it to be primed if it's needed. Overall I was impressed but I don't shoot that fast and I'll stick with my Warp/Apache combo. Peace.

Blennidae
03-28-2004, 08:57 PM
A couple questions on the sound activated aspect.

If you end up having to share a bunker with someone, would their shooting set it off?

What about the balls bouncing in the hopper while you run? Is that enough noise to set it off?

Is it as "noisy" when loading as a Halo B?

rdb123
03-28-2004, 09:03 PM

Why? The trip tab works on a Rico Apache. Every time the ball trips the tab it agitates. Why not use that to detect motion? Maybe a breakbeam eye isn't the best option, and I threw it out as a crude suggestion, but how about the little flip tab like the Apache? It doesn't care what color paint you use and won't stop working if you blow a ball up and splash into the feedneck.

Ooooor, make it sound activated....

Using a tab is already patented. There is also an exact reason why that wouldn't work too well with the HALO. Run over to PBN and search/ask in the Hopper section. Edward from Odyssey answers questions there frequently.

LeatherPants
03-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Well I was going to stay out of this thread but I felt that I must chime in.

Here's some background.

I own 3 Halo B (all 3 now have Z Code) and 2 Evo II Z Board. So I guess I have some experience with hoppers.

I play minimum of 3 times a month and average 3 cases each time. Some people think i have quick fingers but that's their opinion.

Basically i shoot alot and shoot fast. Yea I play back.

First off all 3 of my Halo B have seen their way back to Odyssey. 2 of them have gone back a second time.

I have burnt motors, boards, cracked every part.

Even with the Z code the Halo will still try to feed once in awhile. Usually I think it is the balls not lining up in the feed neck where the ball is not registered by the IR beam. Usually you have to shoot it a couple time to clear it but it is a problem that still happends.

The Z code will shut itself off in most cases but one of my Halo will still try to push itself. I may have to send this one back.

I understand the need for a Relaoder B and the arguments from No Skillz. I just played a tourney where we got stuck using the field's half black shell paint. Guess what EVERYONE with a halo was screwed. I was lucky enough to be in a later game in the first set so I could see the problems on the field. I'm lucky that I have hoppers up tha ying yang so I used my Evo IIs but other people were screwed.

I have one of those V35 boards on order just to see if it makes a difference and you bet when the Empire board is availabe as a seperate upgrade I will get that also.

Halliday
03-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Thank you for the info about the Reloader B's.

JT2002
03-28-2004, 10:25 PM
yes i too have a v35 board on order and cant wait to see if it helps speed up my oddly slow halo. :D
my personal proof that it seems slow was that, i only occasionally hit 15 bps with my halo, and sometimes it skips. then i threw a q loader on my empire timmy, couldnt stop hitting 16 bps, so im just curious to see if this board improves my halo

No sKiLLz
03-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
I'm just curious,

You had a big problem with the Halo burning up motors from over spinning and such.

With the sound activation,does it continue to try and 'wind up' if it hears noise other than the firing of the marker,like banging it on the side,balls banging around while running,etc.If so,would that not put the same strain on the motor? Or is there some sensitivity adjustment to limit the activation based on sound?

Sometimes noise will set it into motion, but if the feedneck is full it will only try to rotate for a moment, and then stop, where a Z-code Halo will rotate and then blink red on the LED which means you have to shut it off and turn it back on. For obvious reasons, the sounds inside the reloader elicit a reaction more often than outside. You can scream your lungs out at a closed reloader and it won't rotate, but pop the lid up and give it a good yelp and it will turn. There is no sensitivity adjustment that I know of for sound.

Also,it was originally stated by Odyssey that it would be slower than a normal Halo due to the sound activation,what's your opinion on the overall speed compared to the other?

The second speed setting on the Empire is about the same as the Halo. The first setting is slower, the third setting being faster. I think Odyssey made an incorrect assumption possibly thinking that the hopper would cease to rotate immediately after the noise stopped, but the reloader will always rotate a minimum predetermined amount no matter how quick the noise stops. Since I can't outshoot the Empire yet I haven't tried speed setting 3 yet, but I think I will give it a try just to see if it's gentle enough not to break the paint.

Torbo
03-29-2004, 12:31 PM
I haven't tried speed setting 3 yet, but I think I will give it a try just to see if it's gentle enough not to break the paint.

i tried setting 3 with 6 batteries yesterday, it seemed it was too powerfull for my setup. I was shooting a rat impy, and it pushed a ton of paint through the detents, like feeding 3 at a time. I turned it down to 2, and it shoot perfact the rest of the day.

No sKiLLz
03-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Blennidae
A couple questions on the sound activated aspect.

If you end up having to share a bunker with someone, would their shooting set it off?

If it's a Tippman A-5 with an Evil Pipe kit, possibly.
J/K. The only external stimulation that got it to rotate was flicking the hopper shell, and it had to be flicked hard. The mic is in the feedneck so it doesn't catch on to what going on outside.

What about the balls bouncing in the hopper while you run? Is that enough noise to set it off?

Yes. Bouncing paint will activate the hopper, so run fast.

Is it as "noisy" when loading as a Halo B?
Yes. Everything except for the speed settings and mode of activation are identical. Even the crappy shells.:p

No sKiLLz
03-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks Torbo. Saves me the trouble. :D

And Halliday, I appreciate your appreciation. Same goes to Leatherpants and RoadDawg.

Reaver
03-29-2004, 12:37 PM
heh this thread getting better :p thanks for hte review NoSkillz if they fix the primeing deal id pick one up.

Bulldog
03-29-2004, 01:38 PM
Good review, I've been thinking about getting one of these myself. I like my HaloB and all, but it does have it's issues, and I kind of feel like it's the lesser of evils right now. Mine also took the trip to Odyssey, after I'd only had it for a few months. With the different speeds, I'm wondering how this would work on some of the older model Angels that have Halo issues? I'm thinking pretty good.

rdb123
03-29-2004, 04:16 PM
The only bad thing I found about these Reloader B's is that if you don't reload while you still have balls in your feedneck, and also assuming your gun has eyes on, your gun won't fire since there is no ball present, but also the hopper won't feed because it doesn't detect the vibration from the gun firing.

In order to fix this, you have to take about 5 seconds to manually crank the rip drive.

DementedRabbit
03-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Man, between the internals issues with the Halo and the garbagey taped-up Evo 2 shells I see every week, it makes me want to stick to my revy. Maybe the Apache will be a good compromise.

Chris42050
03-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by DementedRabbit
Man, between the internals issues with the Halo and the garbagey taped-up Evo 2 shells I see every week, it makes me want to stick to my revy. Maybe the Apache will be a good compromise.
Yeah my egg is cracked bad and the lid broke. Was playin this weekend with AOsoCal and had the lid taped on. No good for reloads. I dont know what hopper to get yet, but I dont think I will go back to a revy. I was kinda thinkin the apache also.
BTW thanks for the reveiw No skillz. I dont know what these 10 year olds were doin here, but Im glad the thread got back to the review. Almost didnt keep reading cause of that.

rdb123
03-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Guys, remember the Reloader B won't feed if the board detects there is already spring tension. It's like a normal HALO but with sound activation. It ISN'T the same as a revvy with the reloader kit on it.

No sKiLLz
03-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by rdb123
The only bad thing I found about these Reloader B's is that if you don't reload while you still have balls in your feedneck, and also assuming your gun has eyes on, your gun won't fire since there is no ball present, but also the hopper won't feed because it doesn't detect the vibration from the gun firing.

In order to fix this, you have to take about 5 seconds to manually crank the rip drive.

Well. I was going to bring that up but I figured it wasn't important because you should probably reload at that point. But if there are a few balls at the front that haven't made it down the feed neck and you want the cups help, you can always shake it.

NP Chris. Glad you and your friends could make it out this last weekend.

RRfireblade
03-29-2004, 05:51 PM
I may have missed it,but what's the difference in cost and who has them for sale currently? If you don't mind.:)

No sKiLLz
03-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Most places I see are selling them for $150. They come standard with the rip drive, so in comparison to a halo with the rip it's about $10-$12 more. I'll make a plug for my friends shop. You can order one here...

http://1shotpaintball.com/2004/contact_us.php

But you have to call since they haven't updated their site yet. If you drop my name you might get a couple bucks off.

UTDragun
04-07-2005, 11:48 AM
ive had my halo with v35 and rip for many many many months, never had a problem with it except one time after i cleaned it, i didnt get the wires pushed all the way in the board so the green light sometimes doesnt work but the red one does, however, it still works awesome. i did have a problem once with double feeding, but it was b/c my couple of years old ball detent was almost non existant. i love the victory board, you have 6 different speeds, and u can use the lowest one to save battery life if your shooting something slow

One of my teamates uses an reloader b, ive used it a bunch too, it does seem to activate slower compared to my halo. ive sometimes chopped the second ball, sometimes 3rd, but once it starts load its as fast as a normal zcode halo.

Ive never had a problem with my halo's eyes... even with dark brown paint, and paint busted in the feedneck did slow it down a little, but it never stopped working

deathstalker
04-07-2005, 07:50 PM
It's necromancy, I tell you!

gc82000
04-07-2005, 08:24 PM
It's necromancy, I tell you!
:rofl:

Duzzy
04-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Honestly, what is the point of resurrecting a thread that is a year old just to say you have no problems with your Halo?

Why not start a new thread and say, "I have this and this and it works wonderfully. Does anyone else use something different? And if so do you have any problems with it?"

I don't mean to be rude but I honestly cannot find a point to this.

UTDragun
04-07-2005, 10:37 PM
doh im so sorry, it thought it was 3-29-05

the reason why i found it was someone in a recent thread posted a link to the thread

Duzzy
04-07-2005, 10:39 PM
No need to be sorry, it has been happening a lot lately and I see it as pointless. Things I view as pointless tend to rub me the wrong way.

Blazestorm
04-07-2005, 11:06 PM
http://www.blazestorm.net/omghalo.wmv

http://www.blazestorm.net/egofa.wmv (Before I modded the halo, will have another video this weekend of the updated halo :) )

I owned an empire-b as well, I sold it to a friend and it got jacked 4 days alter at the field :(

It worked well but wasn't gentle on brittle paint (Which I shot too often)

so I bought an egg and used that for brittle paint, and when I got this halo for free (^_^) It worked with brittle paint so I was set.

The mod doesn't make it force paint harder, just spins the cone faster... :D

UTDragun
04-08-2005, 09:53 AM
i couldnt get either movies to work

RoadDawg
04-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Not to beat a dead subject even more... I for one witnessed No_Skillz issues with his Halo. No matter what was done with it, it wouldn't work properly. This version was definatly a step up compared to what he had. -peace.

SpecialBlend2786
04-09-2005, 01:26 AM
was No_Skillz the one who had a Halo catch fire :confused:

REDRT
04-09-2005, 08:08 AM
Between My brother and I we have 4 Halo B's. 3 with Victory Boards and one still with z code. All have rip drive. We have used them for a year or better. In that time I had one door break, Aaron had a hull break at the loading door, and I lost a one anti jam spring. They really have been pretty good. Oddassey isn't very good on emailing any replys to questions, but you sent money they send parts pretty quick I have found. My only gripe is yes the eyes are sometimes a real pain. Just a spec of paint on them and they don't work correctly. I really like the idea behind the Reloader with the sound activation, but I like the speed of the V-35 equiped Halo. Too bad you couldn't combine the two. In case of the eyes getting dirty just switch to default sound activation. That would be kinda nice.

phantomhitman
04-11-2005, 03:08 PM
because anyone who has Halo and plays more than once every six months has had problems with it, a$$ clown.

i play 2 days a week, every weekend for the last 2 years straight with my halo. the only problems, besides upgrading my drviecone to the new delrin ones and zcode to vic boards, i have had out of my halo is batteries. i own 2 halos, one for backup just in case #1 goes down. halos are not bad, and i have not had the paint reading issues some people have. if you have had bad luck with halos, then im sorry for you.