PDA

View Full Version : computer rebooted itself while i was in the shower- serious error reported..help!

impostal22
03-26-2004, 11:15 AM
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini032604-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\IMPOST~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\ sysdata.xml

BCCode : c2 BCP1 : 00000007 BCP2 : 00000CD4 BCP3 : 84E0D778
BCP4 : 84C5C4E8 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 256_1

this is all the info i was given..help?!

virus
03-26-2004, 11:54 AM
ok no gauentee on this and i'm not responsible.... read it and including that within it... i only cut and pasted all this but it should help ya

__________________________________________________ ___________

ok this was found at
http://www.uwm.edu/~bobtreat/messages/219.shtml
"II. Delete the Minidump Files and the Sysdata.xml File

When a serious error occurs, by default the system writes out a miniature memory dump along with an XML description of the system status (which notes the program at fault and other pertinent system data) that can be uploaded to Microsoft. If this data is not correctly closed out, the system may present a Serious Error screen upon boot. To resolve this problem, perform
the following steps:

1. Click the Start button.
2. Right click the My Computer icon, and then click Explore on the context menu that appears.
3. Browse to the c:\Windows\Minidump directory.
4. Delete everything located in this directory.

NOTE : You will need to be able to view hidden and system files and the system should not be hiding protected operating system files.

5. Browse to the c:\Documents and Settings folder.
6. Search for the following file: sysdata.xml file.
7. Delete all instances (you may find more than one) of this file.
8. Click the Start button, click Turn off the computer, and then click Restart. "

I think we both learnt something here.
cheers

__________________________________________________ ___________

hope that helps

impostal22
03-26-2004, 12:22 PM
can someone confirm that i should do that before i do it? thanks.

MantisMag
03-26-2004, 01:02 PM
looks fine. those aren't critical system files or anything. especially the xml file. it's in your temp directory. ;) the real trick now is to figure out what program caused you to crash and generate those files in the first place. maybe if you look in that xml file it will tell you. then again if it was improperly closed out you may not be able to access it.