PDA

View Full Version : Networking Help Needed

BXmag
09-28-2001, 01:43 PM
I'm currently in the middle on setting up a network at home and have run in to problems. If anyone could either point me to a website or if you have knowledge in this area and are interested in helping please ----->

two machines and a router
one running win98
one running winMe

the machine with win98 appears ready

the winMe machine has access to the web, but I can't access or see it through the network.

Anyone???

Thanks
Danny

CDN_Drew
09-28-2001, 01:49 PM
Here are just a few things to look at:

1) Are the workgroup names on both computers the same ?
2) on your windows 98 computer go to start-->run and type in \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and hit enter and see if that brings up the other computer.
if you have any shares on the windows me system they should show up.
3)If doing the above does not work try using the ping command to see if one computer can at least talk to the other use the command ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from a command prompt (MS-DOS prompt) to bring up a command prompt in ME type in "command" into the run command

post back with what happens and I or someone else can help you further

Muzikman
09-28-2001, 02:04 PM
Make sure they are in the same workgroup (as stated above)

Make sure you have atleast File sharing (File and Print Sharing) checked. If you do not have it checked it the PC will not show up in Network Neighborhood.

Make sure both PCs are in the same Ip subnet.

What are the IP addresses for the two PCs?

BXmag
09-28-2001, 04:47 PM
Ok, I checked just to make sure and both machines know the network as "MSHOME"

On the win98 machine I typed in the \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in the run command box and received the following --->
"The network name can not be found"

I also checked that the file and printer sharing box is checked on both machines. I also went thru "My Computer" and right clicked on the hard drives and selected "Sharing" and created share names.

I will search the IP subnet address' and list .

BXmag
09-28-2001, 06:10 PM
I checked on both machines and they both have the same infomation

DHCP setup
Pool starting address 192.168.0.1
primary DNS server 0.0.0.0
secondary DNS server 0.0.0.0

LAN TCP/IP

IP address 192.168.0.1
IP subnet 255.255.255.0
multicast NONE

both machines exactly the same

Danny

CDN_Drew
09-29-2001, 03:36 AM
ok. you need to perform these steps from both your machines

go into start--> run type "winipcfg" you will get a box that comes up and shows

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/images/winipcfg_sm.gif

what are the current addresses for both of the pc's ?

Miscue
09-29-2001, 09:53 AM
If you did not turn on file sharing, it will not 'appear' in network neighborhood, although the computer can be accessed through the network other ways. If you want to simplify matters and not screw with IP stuff, one option is to use NetBEUI (or IPX if you're playing LAN games) between computers by setting it as the default protocol. And keep TCP/IP for net access. If you are going to be playing games on your LAN which only use TCP/IP... then you would want to use TCP/IP on your LAN.

Common mistakes:
1. Having netmask set to 255.255.255.0 and not setting both IPs with first three octets the same. Like: 24.123.12.X and 24.123.12.Y. Also be sure to not use a reserved IP address.

2. File sharing turned off

3. Simple network settings fouled

4. Mismatched network protocols.

Miscue
09-29-2001, 10:04 AM
Another option... if it's not already, turn on DHCP on your router then you don't have to mess with anything. Make sure it's passing over the DNS info.

BXmag
09-30-2001, 06:15 PM
Ok I heard back from Cust. Serv. And they reconmended installing NetBEUI on the machine with WinMe. Of course they claim "this should resolve my problem."

Any feedback + or - before I try this?

Restola
09-30-2001, 08:32 PM
weird problems. exactly what i was affraid of. but at our college house we plugged 4 pcs into our linksys router/switch and everything worked. lan games, online gaming, file sharing, etc.
maybe return the router and go the beginner route like me.

Miscue
09-30-2001, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by BXmag
Ok I heard back from Cust. Serv. And they reconmended installing NetBEUI on the machine with WinMe. Of course they claim "this should resolve my problem."

Any feedback + or - before I try this?

If you read what I wrote your problem would already be fixed, and a phonecall to kids reading from a roladex of notecards avoided. :cool: Yes, try this. If you're playing LAN games... you'll still need IPX or TCP/IP.