PDA

View Full Version : Dye should go scenario...

Carbon
03-29-2004, 04:41 AM
With their current success of of tourney style clothes and gear why hasnt Dye gone and expanded their market to scenario gear. They could come up with highly functioal and "stylish" gear in O.D. or in cammo patterns. Further more the hook would be Scenario specific. That means jersey/tac vests that have radio pouches, tactical this and that. What do you all think.

SpecialBlend2786
03-29-2004, 04:54 AM
I dunno, I think that they are well established as a tourny company, and an entry into the scenario market may change their focus. However, maybe another Dye spinoff (such as Proto) should be developed just for scenario stuffs.

AGD
03-29-2004, 04:58 AM
Yea but then all the tourney guys would call DYE lame....

AGD

OysterBoy
03-29-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

shartley
03-29-2004, 06:36 AM
I have a Jersey that fits that bill.... And I did it specifically so players COULD use it in Scenario/Rec/Woods, but be able to jump over to the speedball field and not look too out of place either.

Here is a mock-up….

http://gbsu-usa.net/shartleycustoms/jerseysmall.gif

I have a sales thread in Dealer’s Forum….
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130486

soccer4minimags
03-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Speaking of dye and proto, how come dye doesn't have the proto gear on their site? Does proto have its own site. Does anybody know it.

Dryden
03-29-2004, 10:20 AM
I doubt you'll ever see a camo print from Dye, just look at where it all starts (e.g. DYE = Dave Youngblood Enterprises). Have you ever seen Youngblood wear camo? Maybe they'll offer tailored suits or something someday, but not camo.

Besides, Dye gear is the antithesis of what a scenario baller wants ... authentic military issue BDUs.

Carbon
03-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Well the dude that started Dye did play woodsball. Further more, Dye could hash up some other name on their tac wear, they dont have to put the Dye name on it. It seem the next logical step in sweeping the soft goods market. Youve the Dye line, excell line and the proto stuff.

if dye does go into the scenario market, whatch the other commpanies follow in their path. Because to be the potential revenue is to great to be ignored.

ghideon
03-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Dryden

Besides, Dye gear is the antithesis of what a scenario baller wants ... authentic military issue BDUs.

Eh, I'm certainly not a 'scenario baller,' but authentic military issue BDUs weren't all that great for me. I musta ripped three pairs of pants down the crotch. Granted, these BDUs had been with me through basic, but I prefer my paintball gear to be sturdier.

A nice line of jersies and pants in subdued colors would be good. I'm not a 'tourney baller' either but really don't like all the loud colors.

Dryden
03-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by ghideon
I musta ripped three pairs of pants down the crotch.What the heck are you doing out there on the field?!?! :eek:

xXHavokXx
03-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Because it wouldnt be authentic. Scenario ballers tend to be more like airsoft fanatics, they strive for militia trainn.....i mean authenticity. In airsoft if you can get a set of BDU's with a real delta force commandos nut sweat then you must be a real commando.

If dye made scenario gear its not real, no military force has worn it so it probably wouldnt fare well.

Python14
03-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Carbon
Well the dude that started Dye did play woodsball.

Note though, Dave Dehaan(aka Dave Youngblood) was known far and wide for the fact he never wore camo. He was well known for wearing a black turtleneck and slacks. The man was even stylish in the woods days...come one.

The day camo is printed on a DYE product is the same day Smart Parts converts to charity and AGD stops caring.

Koosh
03-29-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by xXHavokXx
Because it wouldnt be authentic. Scenario ballers tend to be more like airsoft fanatics, they strive for militia trainn.....i mean authenticity. In airsoft if you can get a set of BDU's with a real delta force commandos nut sweat then you must be a real commando.

If dye made scenario gear its not real, no military force has worn it so it probably wouldnt fare well.

C'mon man, just because not everybody wants to dress up in bright jerseys, pay an extrodinary amount for feild fee and feild paint, then play games that last 3 minutes, that means that they are Redneck hicks who want to be in the military?

You should try playing a Scenario instead of just ragging on them... I was at a blackcat 24 hour game this weekend and saw damn near as many cockers/mags/timmies/matrices or other high end guns then tippies and spyders.

Just because we play in the woods don't mean we can't keep up with technology.

p8ntball72
03-29-2004, 09:32 PM
Bad Karma are as hard core scenario as you can get and they dont wear camo.
http://www.southwestvoodoo.com/Images/Band2/photos/MVC-332F.JPG

It would be nice if dye came to where the real money is in the sport.

TeamNausea
03-29-2004, 09:35 PM
I must sai I wouln't be to impressed if Dye went scenario. I mean like posted above noone would like c4 or such. It would be "nerdy" and etc.

GoatBoy
03-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by TheFlamingKoosh

C'mon man, just because not everybody wants to dress up in bright jerseys, pay an extrodinary amount for feild fee and feild paint, then play games that last 3 minutes, that means that they are Redneck hicks who want to be in the military?

You should try playing a Scenario instead of just ragging on them... I was at a blackcat 24 hour game this weekend and saw damn near as many cockers/mags/timmies/matrices or other high end guns then tippies and spyders.

I honestly don't think he was really ragging on scenario players.

I agree with what he said, in that it's the... feel of authenticity that matters to a lot of the scenario players.

They want guns that look real, and they want to dress up with the gear and equipment that sort of feel real to them. "Scenario" generally means there is some sort of imaginary theme, and it probably kind of helps some people to get into the "mood" of things to have the associated gear.

And as far as where the "real money" is... Hopefully I'm not the only one here that thinks scenario != rec.

And lastly, Dye equipment is just rebranded "other stuff" at a markup. I'm not so sure how well that would go over with the scenario players.

RT pRo AuToMaG
03-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Dye is known for their tournament gear. They make it and make it well. If they saw the need to go into the scenario market, they would have done so already.

Carbon
03-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Good discussion here, keep it up. +'s all around. Well, maybe it doesent have to be militaristic. Maybe there is an untapped market for scenario specific gear. Not exactly cammo yet, not exactly bright tourney colors.

xXHavokXx
03-29-2004, 11:31 PM

I really want to play a scenario actually. Ive met alot of cool people who play scenario who wear bright jerseys like the psycho clown posse, or just regualr button up shirts like the Renegades.

I as mostly getting on about airsoft guys. I know a guy who wears a backpack filled with sandbags or wood so that it is equal to that carried by a certain squadron of paratroopers in a certain year in a certain day.

speedyejl
03-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

I would

Skoad
03-30-2004, 12:08 AM
Main point - Scenario's base is realism, so how much more real can you get if you can actually go out and buy the real army stuff.

Koosh
03-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Skoad
Main point - Scenario's base is realism, so how much more real can you get if you can actually go out and buy the real army stuff.

Because nothing is more real then pretending your Captian Kirk fighting the Borg and Klingon, right? Or going out with the NM-4 Super-Spies against the evil S.P.O.R.K.S....

The PLAYER decides on how he wants to look and what he wants to shoot in scenarios. You can get into it, role play, and do missions, but that isn't what its ALL about. For every person doing a mission there are probably 10 just going out there and shooting people on the other team.

DiRTyBuNNy
03-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Python14

Note though, Dave Dehaan(aka Dave Youngblood) was known far and wide for the fact he never wore camo. He was well known for wearing a black turtleneck and slacks. The man was even stylish in the woods days...come one.

The day camo is printed on a DYE product is the same day Smart Parts converts to charity and AGD stops caring.

It wasn't a black turtleneck...it was a black sportcoat/tuxedo jacket. He found it in a trashcan down by SC Village and sported it instead of borrowing someone's camo when he forgot his own gear.

GoatBoy
03-30-2004, 12:38 AM

I as mostly getting on about airsoft guys. I know a guy who wears a backpack filled with sandbags or wood so that it is equal to that carried by a certain squadron of paratroopers in a certain year in a certain day.

Those damn sandbaggers! We can't even get a scenario in without sandbaggers! What's the world coming to?! :p

Because nothing is more real then pretending your Captian Kirk fighting the Borg and Klingon, right? Or going out with the NM-4 Super-Spies against the evil S.P.O.R.K.S....

The PLAYER decides on how he wants to look and what he wants to shoot in scenarios. You can get into it, role play, and do missions, but that isn't what its ALL about. For every person doing a mission there are probably 10 just going out there and shooting people on the other team.

Yeah well, at every Trek convention it's inevitable that you'll see one guy in a Storm Trooper outfit or Xena costume or something. Let's not get buried in the specifics. Even if it is, say, a Trek based theme, I can still imagine the fun involved in going out in "real" gear. Now, if Dye wants to get into the lucrative RedShirt paintball gear business, hey, maybe there might be something.

As far as the second paragraph... That was... kind of my second point. If you're just out there to be shooting people on the other team, what are you, exactly? Are you a scenario player? Or maybe just a recball player who's playing in a scenario game? How do you specifically market to those who just want to go and shoot other people, but don't get that much into a theme, whether it's the explicitly stated theme, or their own little theme?

Koosh
03-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by GoatBoy

Yeah well, at every Trek convention it's inevitable that you'll see one guy in a Storm Trooper outfit or Xena costume or something. Let's not get buried in the specifics. Even if it is, say, a Trek based theme, I can still imagine the fun involved in going out in "real" gear. Now, if Dye wants to get into the lucrative RedShirt paintball gear business, hey, maybe there might be something.

As far as the second paragraph... That was... kind of my second point. If you're just out there to be shooting people on the other team, what are you, exactly? Are you a scenario player? Or maybe just a recball player who's playing in a scenario game? How do you specifically market to those who just want to go and shoot other people, but don't get that much into a theme, whether it's the explicitly stated theme, or their own little theme?

I'll give you that... I'm just trying to say that when speedball/tourney guys think of scenario, they think of hillbilly dimwits who want a real looking gun so they can play war games... What they don't know is that since Scenario is becoming more and more popular, more and more people are getting into the sport and using better equipment. I once had a Raced cocker and an Emag at the same time... just to go out and play woodsball. I had just as much fun as the kid next to me with a Tippmann.

A few speedballers played with our team as their first scenario this weekend. They remarked about how much fun they were having becuase everyone was playing so honest... If thats a concept unique to Scenario, then I guess I won't be playing very many tourney's soon :)

And newbies are newbies no matter what type of game they play for... I got blue in the face trying to explain to a guy playing with us that longer barrels don't give you more range. He was conviced the other side was shooting hot (and while some of them were...) because his 21" barrel on the tippman couldn't reach them, yet their 8" barrels on the cockers could us. There was some wind, and some players shooting hot, so I guess that didn't help my explaination... oh well, he'll learn some day. ;)

SN0BL1ND
03-30-2004, 07:27 AM
* needs the popcorn munchin' smilie*

this is a lot more adult than the same discussion I had on the Impulse Owners Group... I play almost exclusively scenario...

Naby
03-30-2004, 10:15 AM
There is also the question of price. Most rec players play in simple old clothes that they don't wear anymore or they buy at discount stores. At most, they may go to the army surplus store and get some BDUs. I don't think your average rec/scenario player would be interested in paying $200 for dye camo pants... even if it came with kevlar knee pads... ;)

SN0BL1ND
03-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Just to play devil's advocate... who says that scenario players WANT Dye clothing? From what I've seen, the price of the name far outweighs the performance. MILSPEC BDU's give good performance for a reasonable price.

As for the scenario players being "nerdy"... check the write up of Tom's quote of why he sponsors scenario teams; you'd be suprised... and he is absolutely correct; I've seen it. Here's the quote from www.scenarioball.com:

"AGD president Tom Kaye had this to say about sponsoring Team Blitzkrieg: "Blitzkrieg and the other teams we sponsor represent the highest level of scenario ball. They are the consummate pros of the scenario world. Any scenario guy would hold up fine in an airball game, but no pro tourney guy would even know how to invade the enemy's position with the effective use of role-playing and armament."

Scenario is where players can go and play THIER game THIER way with THIER toys, be it MILSIM or "tournament grade". The competition level can be just as intense as a tournament (even tho I've never been in one), but without all of the blatent cheating. I'm not saying that all tournament players are cheaters, just some get thier "tournament/fun" switch stuck in the wrong position...

The cost is a major detractor of stuff for a lot of folks. My wife FREAKED when I told her I needed :rolleyes: a better gun to keep up with the other players on the field. Like a LOT of the scenario players, I am the breadwinner of my family and have more to worry about than financing my next trip to the field. Not trying to slam tourny players, but most of the tournament players (to me) seem a LOT younger than the scenario players I see.

I see I've gotten off track with my rant, so I'll shut up now...;)

xXHavokXx
03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by p8ntball72

It would be nice if dye came to where the real money is in the sport.

I hear alot of people saying this, but I dont see how this can be. I understand that more people play scenario paintball, but some of the scenario guys that I talk to say they only play a couple times per month, and use less paint. Tourney guys in our area play at least 4x a month, shoot 2 cases per day and constantly want the latest and greatest gear. Ive seen people keep at least 3 jerseys in rotation, 3 pairs of pants as well. And now with Xball gaining intrest people are keeping multiple setups ready, ie 2 angels, or a timmy and a trix , or an angel and a trix, so if somethign goes down or they need to swap in 2 minutes they just swap completely.

From my store's point of view tourney guys are where the money is, we have one team that averages about 50 cases a month from us, where as the scenario guys we deal with in total buy maybe 12

TeamNausea
03-30-2004, 05:01 PM
Very good info in that post havok. Thanks it actually puts this whole discussion (about the money) in clear view!

shartley
03-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by TeamNausea
Very good info in that post havok. Thanks it actually puts this whole discussion (about the money) in clear view!
Actually that is not quite accurate. Tournament players may buy more paint, but they don’t hold the grip on wanting the latest equipment. Tournament/Speedball players may buy the most jerseys, but they don’t hold the grip on buying the most OTHER equipment.

I see tournament/speedball players supporting the paintball CLOTHING market, but not the paintball industry… that being markers and accessories.

And since rec/scenario/woods players make up a FAR greater number overall, I even question the paintball theory as well… but can’t back it up.

Rec/Woods/Scenario IS the backbone if the industry and sport in general…. Because of sheer numbers alone.

It all depends on what your customer base is. And thus far, the rec/woods/scenario market has been ignored for the most part by clothing manufacturers… and BECAUSE it is so easy for those players to get their clothing/uniforms elsewhere. But to draw the conclusion that these companies don’t make the stuff because the players would not buy it is not in my opinion accurate. In fact, there is far too much proof the other way.

Brophog
03-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Very true. That probably has more to do with scenario players not paying $50 for a pair of gloves and $120 for a pair of pants.

Not yet atleast.....

p8ntball72
03-30-2004, 06:47 PM
thank you shartley,its like you read my mind.

Tyger
03-30-2004, 06:54 PM
didn't Dave once say that DYE's goal was to bring paintball "out of the woods" with thier clothing lines? In Facfull or some place like that?

I haven't seen a Facefull Mag really, so I'm not sure.

-Tyger

JEDI
03-30-2004, 07:46 PM

I hear alot of people saying this, but I dont see how this can be. I understand that more people play scenario paintball, but some of the scenario guys that I talk to say they only play a couple times per month, and use less paint. Tourney guys in our area play at least 4x a month, shoot 2 cases per day and constantly want the latest and greatest gear. Ive seen people keep at least 3 jerseys in rotation, 3 pairs of pants as well. And now with Xball gaining intrest people are keeping multiple setups ready, ie 2 angels, or a timmy and a trix , or an angel and a trix, so if somethign goes down or they need to swap in 2 minutes they just swap completely.

From my store's point of view tourney guys are where the money is, we have one team that averages about 50 cases a month from us, where as the scenario guys we deal with in total buy maybe 12
See, I have to agree with you, and disagree with Shartley. I'll use my team, and teams I frequently play with as my source for numbers.
This past week, we (deadcell) practiced 3 times. This is typical. We saw, give or take, the same 6 out of 10 teams practice along with us 3 times that week. The 6 of us on my team easily shot 20-30 cases of paint this week. So I'd say we own the paint market.

With all the demand on speed, tourney players own rediculously high tech equipment. That equals $$. I barely use my mechanical cocker any more. The disadvantage on the feild is just too great. Most tourney players I know, do have to have the latest and greatest. Some how I dont see your average wood baller running out and buying the newest board for their Halo B. Owning and maintaining several electros again = $$. Running your stamp molded 98 custom under water doesnt.

I would make a pretty strong guess that if you took your top rec baller, and your top tourney baller, and compared their gear, the tourney baller would have way more invested. Case in point: Why is the Tac One Mechanical? Thats not going to cost as much as your average Angel/Emag. I have yet to see a WGP E-VF tactical. Heck, I hate to generalize, but most rec-ballers I've seen have Tippmans, cockers, and Mags that really dont compete performance wise to an average $1000 tourney marker.

I dont believe that rec-ballers spend more than Tourney ballers. The market/avdertising just doesnt seem to suggest that. Number of perticipants does not necessarily mean more money spent.

I think DYE is happy with the way they (he) makes money, and doesnt feel the need to stretch the company into the rec scene.

DragonMan
03-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb with this, but I'll take whatever flak comes down...
I used to be a tourney guy a number of years back but I've since been assimilated into the scenario world. In fact, its the ONLY paintball that I play now.
The thing that I like about scenario is that I can shoot as much or as little paint as I like. I can wear camo, DYE tourney-wear or can be practically be naked on the field and still have as much fun as the guy next to me.

The point is that it's all for the love of the game...The comraderie of being with friends for a weekend.

However I see the point that has been made that scenario players don't spend the dollars on paint and gear that other venues like tourney players do. If you look at it from that point of view, there are people in the industry that are losing money. Afterall. 50 cases of paint per team is a huge market and I don't begrudge xXHavokXx from making a living from that or supporting that line of thought. But you have to realize that so many scenario players are playing the game for the shear enjoyment of the game and will do so whether or not they have a corporate sponsor or not. Even those scenario teams that are sponsored still spend a lot of cash out of their own pocket just to play the game. So fundamentally I would have to say that scenario players put way more dollars into the paintball industry than other players do. Even if they aren't buying cases of paint for practice sessions.

But back to the original point of the thread...DYE can get into scenario paintball or not. It will be up to them. Regardless of what market they chose to enter, you can rest assured that there will be scenario players out there doing the thing that they do best. And that, my friends, is having fun!

Enjoy the game.
Thanks for listening to my rant.

shartley
03-30-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by JEDI

See, I have to agree with you, and disagree with Shartley. I'll use my team, and teams I frequently play with as my source for numbers.
This past week, we (deadcell) practiced 3 times. This is typical. We saw, give or take, the same 6 out of 10 teams practice along with us 3 times that week. The 6 of us on my team easily shot 20-30 cases of paint this week. So I'd say we own the paint market.

With all the demand on speed, tourney players own rediculously high tech equipment. That equals $$. I barely use my mechanical cocker any more. The disadvantage on the feild is just too great. Most tourney players I know, do have to have the latest and greatest. Some how I dont see your average wood baller running out and buying the newest board for their Halo B. Owning and maintaining several electros again = $$. Running your stamp molded 98 custom under water doesnt.

I would make a pretty strong guess that if you took your top rec baller, and your top tourney baller, and compared their gear, the tourney baller would have way more invested. Case in point: Why is the Tac One Mechanical? Thats not going to cost as much as your average Angel/Emag. I have yet to see a WGP E-VF tactical. Heck, I hate to generalize, but most rec-ballers I've seen have Tippmans, cockers, and Mags that really dont compete performance wise to an average $1000 tourney marker.

I dont believe that rec-ballers spend more than Tourney ballers. The market/avdertising just doesnt seem to suggest that. Number of perticipants does not necessarily mean more money spent.

I think DYE is happy with the way they (he) makes money, and doesnt feel the need to stretch the company into the rec scene.
I see where the problem lies… you seem to think Paintball is what YOU see and where YOU hang out. Sorry to say, but it is a lot more than that.

You also say you hate to generalize, then DO. ;)

And you forget another fact…. And one I pointed out already…. PAINTBALL is not mostly made up of tournament players, nor speedball players. They are a growing number, yes. But the average paintball player uses lower end markers, and yes less costly gear for the most part. But do you think the “industry” or the “sport” is high end equipment only? LOL Nor does simple dollars spent indicate which products are being USED more, or purchased more.

I didn’t say Rec Ballers spent more money, I said they are a larger market. And again, by sheer volume you can’t deny that rec/woods/scenario players are an untapped market for clothing and indeed the backbone… by far… of the sport of paintball.

Using the dollar amounts of the equipment purchased, VS amount of equipment purchased overall, your argument would also show that Ferrari owners are a larger market than Ford owners are simply because the CAR costs more. ;) But I would bet Ford would disagree with that. And you see far more Fords on the road than Ferraris.

However, I believe you are correct in your last statement. And I for one am glad. ;)

Oh... and DragonMan... Amen. :D

JEDI
03-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by shartley

I see where the problem lies… you seem to think Paintball is what YOU see and where YOU hang out. Sorry to say, but it is a lot more than that.

You also say you hate to generalize, then DO. ;)

And you forget another fact…. And one I pointed out already…. PAINTBALL is not mostly made up of tournament players, nor speedball players. They are a growing number, yes. But the average paintball player uses lower end markers, and yes less costly gear for the most part. But do you think the “industry” or the “sport” is high end equipment only? LOL Nor does simple dollars spent indicate which products are being USED more, or purchased more.

I didn’t say Rec Ballers spent more money, I said they are a larger market. And again, by sheer volume you can’t deny that rec/woods/scenario players are an untapped market for clothing and indeed the backbone… by far… of the sport of paintball.

Using the dollar amounts of the equipment purchased, VS amount of equipment purchased overall, your argument would also show that Ferrari owners are a larger market than Ford owners are simply because the CAR costs more. ;) But I would bet Ford would disagree with that. And you see far more Fords on the road than Ferraris.

However, I believe you are correct in your last statement. And I for one am glad. ;)

Oh... and DragonMan... Amen. :D
No, come on man. Through all my unclear babble you mixed up what I was saying.

I too played rec for many years. I clearly stated that I used my stile of play for a base for my opinions. I know a great deal about every aspect of paintball. I've reffed, played and organized many rec games. I, like DYE chose to come out of the woods.
I hate to generalize because its the first thing everyone picks out, and cries about.

I never said Tourney ballers make up more of the sport. I attempted to say rec ballers do, but that they're numbers dont equal the amout spent by T.B.ers

Right, you helped my point actually. Your average rec player uses lower end equip. So it takes two rec ballers to spend the same as one Tourney baller, when it comes to markers. The industry certainly isnt high end equip only. But 10 Tippmans wouldnt = the price of 3 Angels and a Halo hopper. Thats my point right there. DYE caters to tourney play, because in their eyes its more lucritive. There may be more "rec" prodcuts being used, but the price of tourney stuff tips the scales.
Your car scenario has nothing to do with what I said. You were mistaken that I believe Tourney ballers make up more of the sport. I didn't say that.

Tyger
03-30-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by JEDI

I could generalize all tournament players are egocentric cheating bastards who will sell their own grandmother to win tournaments too but that seems to upset some people, just as generalising rec players does.

I know a scenario player who uses a camouflage Angel. Why? He'll crawl into the worst of the worst, and find himself taking on 20-40 guys. So he needs to have firepower to bail himself out of situations, or to support his team in a long-range high-volume capacity. And the guy I'm thinking of is a guy who does NOT play in tournaments, just "scenario ball".

Rec players spend the money, they travel just as much, the dedicated "hardcore" scenario players have roughly the same number of players IMHO as the "hardcore" tournament scene. They just make different demands on their gear, and as such will buy what is suited for their needs. If they need firepower, they will BUY firepower, but scenario / rec players have different NEEDS than tournament players as far as paintguns go. So manufacturers will make gear that the players want and need (Tac-One, VF Tactical cocker) with features they want and use. This equates to DYE specifically on the grounds that jerseys will shread in the woods, so scenario players don't buy them.

DYE will, however, happily sell barrels to Tippman, Spyder and Cocker owners just as much as they will happily sell them to Timmy, Angel and Matrix owners. So, in a way, they already sell to the scenario scene. But never, EVER, judge someone's expirence based on their gear. I can show 'ya tons of kids with no expirence using the latest in gear, wearing the latest in clothing, and the slickest of goggles. Just as I am sure you can show me a player who's been playing for years who uses a 'Mag because it always works.

-Tyger

xXHavokXx
03-31-2004, 03:52 AM
Much as Shartley said we are limited by our own views of the sport. Where I live, Northern California, seems to be a hot bed of tournament paintball. Alot of woods fields have closed, or aren't as popular as the newfangled speedball fields that are popping up every where. So thats where I get my personal experience.

Also I've noticed a blurring, people are including Rec players as scenario players. Alot of rec players here still get all dolled up in Dye, JT, and other gear just to beat around the fields with no intention of competing.

My store has been trying to find a way to catering to all the different types of players and still have yet to find a way to lure hardcore scenario ballers to the shop.

SN0BL1ND
03-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Tyger

I know a scenario player who uses a camouflage Angel. Why? He'll crawl into the worst of the worst, and find himself taking on 20-40 guys. So he needs to have firepower to bail himself out of situations, or to support his team in a long-range high-volume capacity. And the guy I'm thinking of is a guy who does NOT play in tournaments, just "scenario ball".

Rec players spend the money, they travel just as much, the dedicated "hardcore" scenario players have roughly the same number of players IMHO as the "hardcore" tournament scene. They just make different demands on their gear, and as such will buy what is suited for their needs. If they need firepower, they will BUY firepower, but scenario / rec players have different NEEDS than tournament players as far as paintguns go.

-Tyger

Tyger (again) has hit it on the head! My team has about 6 Angels, 1-2 Matrix, 4-5 Impulses, a GhettoFab Shocker, E-Bladed cockers, and a couple I'm forgetting. We tend to get into stuff that our firepower is the only thing that gets us out of...

Jedi, I beg to differ...

This weekend I saw DM4's, '03 Shockers, Angel '04s, and a myriad of other high end guns. When the hardcore scenario players step onto the field, the only difference in most cases is the selection of clothing. I may even put on my Wicked Mpulse dust colored jersey, and then you wouldn't know me from a tournament 'baller....

I agree with Havok about what we see... I live in the Southeast where scenarios have taken a good, solid hold. We have as many scenario games as we have tournaments. I also agree about the blurring of lines. More accurately, there should be 3 hazy groupings instead of the 2 common ones; scenario / recreational / tournament.

xXHavokXx
03-31-2004, 08:05 PM
When i play scenario im gonna have two set ups. My trix, halo and tank in one hand and my angel, halo and other tank on a sling on my back..... Ill finally live my rambo fantasies

hotrod
03-31-2004, 10:14 PM
This discussion is both interesting and amusing, but this part has been bugging me since I read it:

I doubt you'll ever see a camo print from Dye, just look at where it all starts (e.g. DYE = Dave Youngblood Enterprises). Have you ever seen Youngblood wear camo? Maybe they'll offer tailored suits or something someday, but not camo.
So, check out one of the old posts, about 2/3 down the page:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98615:)

Dryden
04-01-2004, 01:30 AM
hotrod, you just proved my point. I know ... I know, there's a picture of Youngblood wearing TigerStripe on the cover of APG - holding a Carter, I had that issue, and I had that marker, just not in all stainless.

But you should look at that picture closer.

White tux top ... white bow tie ... double breasted jacket. I don't give a damn where you bought your camo - show me a double breasted tuxedo top in TigerStripe!

The cover was a joke. Apparently you didn't get the punchline.

Tyger
04-01-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Dryden
show me a double breasted tuxedo top in TigerStripe!

The cover was a joke. Apparently you didn't get the punchline.

No, the suit is real! (No 4-1 joke) It was made by Tiger Stripe Products for a little while for it's higher-profile players like Dave and Fred Schultz to wear at more "Formal" occasions. I think Hollywood has one in realtree too.

He doesn't PLAY in it, but he DOES have it.

-Tyger

steveo356
04-01-2004, 10:10 PM
It's kind of ironic realy my team wear yellow dye c4 every thing so in the woodsball or senario u can see us even at night. note: were a peed ball team. we jus play the alternitive versions every now and then to broaden our skills and tie the various way of playing together some what for better tactics. we have found that big game woods ball we can use our colors as an advantage if u run fast enuff they wont hit you any ways.

ok i was getting off topic. my idea is that you dont need to have certain color every thing you just need to be comfortable in what your playing in. I'm pretty sure i have an old pair of B.D.U.'s in my closet sum wher from the goood old days but my style has changed and so has my look.

A.D.D. plus long righitng dont mix oh and to sum it up that pretty white and blue dye symbol won't realy blend don't ya think unless u link it back to the vietnam (i think) where the 101st air born where the only men aloud to keep there patches be cuase the enemy where spottong them and the 101st had such a rep they got to keep theres

ok ill stop now sorry for the wasting of ur time