PDA

View Full Version : How does someone create AGD product?

BagelBoy2004
03-30-2004, 12:10 AM
OK, maybe I can get a REAL answer to this one. Not a "call or speak to AGD" or "it's not my place".

If anyone could answer this, please do.

So I see certain people on AO that are authorized dealers or independent companies that make AGD type accessories, ie. rails, grip frames, other parts.... Now even though the parts are not really from AGD, they are from these "other people", do they get approved by AGD?? On the other hand, do they just create anything they want and turn it into a 'Mag product as long as it doesn't copy an existing AGD item?

Clear enough question? You guys can say simply, "Yes they have to approve it" or "No they don't need approval".

Simply stated, is it a problem or not when someone makes their own Mag products.

Last thing, don't ask me if I'm trying to make something because that is not what I do for a living. I work in a sporting good store selling: SCUBA, Baseball, Tennis, Footwear, Skis, etc.... I'm also just a student in college. So no I don't machine or make things because it's not my field.

tony3
03-30-2004, 12:13 AM
You should talk to agd about it:p

BagelBoy2004
03-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Seriously Scott,
throw me a frickin' bone here.
Did you read the whole question? I don't need a smart arse comment like that. I hope you were just kidding.

tony3
03-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Notice the smiley.....but yeah, that was a smart *** comment....

BagelBoy2004
03-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Well anyways, have you ever heard anything about this topic? I asked this certain dude on AO and he just gave me the run around. His name starts with a R and ends with an R. (No names since that would be "un PC" or "illegal")

vf-xx
03-30-2004, 12:31 AM
To the best of my knowlege you can build and sell stuff without permission, however things you see here on the forum should have Tom's approval.

AGD
03-30-2004, 12:34 AM
You can build whatever you want, the question is will we fix the marker with your stuff on it. If your product causes us problems in repairs you get the big thumbs down in public. If it works great and you make and support it properly we don't say anything bad about you.

We make products like the SLUG body so you don't have to worry about specs only looks. The most successfull guys here buy and then COSMETICALLY modify our stuff. When you do that we worry about the warrantee.

AGD

tony3
03-30-2004, 12:40 AM
I'm guessing, that if the problem is the aftermarket part they will not even look at the gun. Like if I send in my mag that has a logic rail on it, i just voided the warrenty, but lets say the logic rail is causing tolerences issues(not that it does, just saying), then they send the gun back to you, but if it isn't the source of the problem, then they will fix it, but no warrenty of course. Not sure if that helped you at all, I don't even know if I'm right.

BagelBoy2004
03-30-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by AGD
You can build whatever you want, the question is will we fix the marker with your stuff on it. If your product causes us problems in repairs you get the big thumbs down in public. If it works great and you make and support it properly we don't say anything bad about you.

We make products like the SLUG body so you don't have to worry about specs only looks. The most successfull guys here buy and then COSMETICALLY modify our stuff. When you do that we worry about the warrantee.

AGD

Thanks a lot Tom. Ok, so these guys on AO that create their own stuff may do so as long as it doesn't interfere with how your (AGD) markers work. You pretty much mean AGD might not warranty the products they create, but don't mind that they make them either. These independent dealers' products don't really need your approval?

Kevmaster
03-30-2004, 12:59 AM
right. the products don't need his approval, however, if a customer of yours sends their marker to AGD for a repair, and your part is at least partially to blame, the user is SOL from AGD's stand point.

BagelBoy2004
03-30-2004, 02:34 AM
I wasn't really thinking about the warranty even though it was a good answer. I was really just after, how these people are able to make Mag related stuff that wasn't directly from AGD without a contract.

CoolHand
03-30-2004, 03:28 AM
It basically boils down to what the end user does with their marker.

AGD has no say over what is done to the marker after it leaves their hands. Its not like software, once its bought, it belongs to you, so you can do with it as you will.

Aftermarket companies can make and sell pretty much anything they want to fit a marker.

However, it is well within AGD's rights to not warranty anything they don't build (and why should they), or anything that has been modified (again, why should they).

I have never really understood how consumers can expect the OEM to warranty a product that has been heavily modified by third parties. People seem flabergausted when a custom shop says "X service will void your warranty.", while in reality, I am quite surprised that AGD works on a customized marker at all.

devildog
03-30-2004, 07:17 AM
so.... can you hook me up with a good deal on scuba equipment? :D

BagelBoy2004
03-30-2004, 12:02 PM
If i sign you up for a Scuba class then you may get the student discount of 10% off. LOL, the Pro-Deals are for me. When I become a Divemaster (currently Rescue Diver) I will get even better deals.

devildog
03-30-2004, 09:47 PM
i already got my certification, and my advanced open water with a couple specialty classes in there, im just shopping for some new equipment ;)

BagelBoy2004
03-31-2004, 02:04 AM
Keep moving up the ranks in SCUBA, take a Rescue course. Sorry no discounts.

spadge67
03-31-2004, 09:48 AM
yeah, i guess markers could be considered "open-source"...

BagelBoy2004
04-01-2004, 02:20 AM
Thanks to everyone for being courteous and answering the question for me. I couldn't even get a yes or no outta that one dude.

cphilip
04-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by BagelBoy2004
Seriously Scott,
throw me a frickin' bone here.
Did you read the whole question? I don't need a smart arse comment like that. I hope you were just kidding.

I am going to give you one more chance to change this piss poor attitude you got. I have been following your interactions here for a day or two. Your constantly flamming people for no real reason. If you cannot get along and change your pattern of behaviour you will be sent elsewhere. Final warning.

Cream Cheese 27
04-01-2004, 02:23 PM
sent to Argentina?

cphilip
04-01-2004, 02:37 PM
No burbank where you live Jewie. Your about the biggest looser I ever saw. Stoopid kid. All you ever had to do was just appologise and ask to be reinstated.

Oh I know you hacked some poor latin americans machine and its logged.

The Frymarker
04-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Whoa lol:eek: