PDA

View Full Version : what is a better barrel

Enemy
03-30-2004, 03:27 AM
ok i hate to ask this but in everyones opion what is a better system the pipe or the freak.. please keep the anti smartparts to a minimum i know what they did and that is their choice i dont like icd and if they choose to go past that then i will do something about it!!!

Lohman446
03-30-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Enemy
i dont like icd and if they choose to go past that then i will do something about it!!!

Yeh.. like say force AKA to stop making Vikings and Excaliburs for instance...

But seriously I think there are better kits out there. Unless were discussing the steel inserts of the freak kit you have to remember the inserts are fragile. Also quality control on the freak has been known to be lacking and the sleeve sizes are more of a guess than whats printed on them. The Evil pipe has been having issues with teh fragility of the tip from what I understand. I used to have an ACI Phat system that worked well, until I got sick of kits and use my ACI zero gravity barrel for everything. Personally I think you will find kits to be overrated and you'd be better off with a good one piece barrel

Gadget
03-30-2004, 07:17 AM
The way the Pipe looks puts some people off and it has fragile tips which can be bent.

The Freak has a reputation for innacurrate sizing of inserts and the inserts themselves are very fragile. However you can now get a freak with stainless inserts.

I would probably avoid both and go for either a Powerlyte Scepter kit (which I use at the moment - works beautifully but not impressed with the quality of the anno on the tip) or a CP kit with assorted backs.

Torbo
03-30-2004, 09:16 AM
id go ahead and say neither one. I would get either: J&J edge, empire kit, or sceptor.

Head knight of Ni
03-30-2004, 09:23 AM
CP kit, Empire, or a scepter.

rkjunior303
03-30-2004, 09:36 AM
I have a pipe kit myself and have had good luck with it. I take it easy generally and have been lucky with my tip *knock on wood*

Enemy
03-31-2004, 02:05 AM
thanks for all the input everyone.. still dont know what im going to do but i will figure it out eventually. please keep the sugestions coming if you can!!!1

tyrion2323
03-31-2004, 02:25 AM
I use a 4-Piece Empire kit. I love it.

I've heard good things about the Kaner kit as well.

Skoad
03-31-2004, 03:20 AM
shot both. I liked the pipe more. I felt more comfortable with a fixed control bore than the insert sleeves.

I'm not sure what Gadget is talking about fragile tips. Had no issues with mine and i've stuck it in the dirt multiple times in the same game. Had to squeegie out a dirt clod snake about 6 inches long. Didn't bend the barrel :P

I have also had CP. CP was nice until the chrome finish on one of the backs started to peel. From what i hear CP will replace it if i sent it back but i just ended up selling it.

If $$ is an issue go with either the WGP Kaner kit (haven't used but have heard great things) or the Pipe. I got my Pipe kit used for 135 ish, have seen them as low as 120. Kaner kit is 125-130ish. www.Paintballgateway.com did have them for 130 and free 2 day shipping but they are out of stock. Talk to Roguefactor on here if you are looking for Kaner too.

Those are if your wanting a complete kit. CP kits you can buy by the single back for relatively cheap. CP's are $30 bucks a tip and $30 bucks a back. You can start out with one tip and one back, then add on to your kit later if you feel the need to (prices are what paid for mine few months ago). Got mine direct from www.customproducts-az.com , gotta phone it in.

rkjunior303
03-31-2004, 08:40 AM
Evil is coming out with some updated tips, as well. The 'Ultra' tips... I think they are to help in terms of durability and noise -- the pipe can be kinda loud.

Cryer
03-31-2004, 08:55 AM
I voted for the Pipe, but in reality I would get an Equation kit.
www.equationusa.com

Mention you are an AO member, they will give a discount.

Either that, a Powerlyte Scepter, or a CP kit

fire1811
03-31-2004, 09:10 AM
i had a freak.......it lasted 2 weekends and then i sold it.
pipes not bad but i agree with most here and say either
cp kit or one of the other mentioned

riooso
03-31-2004, 09:32 AM
I like the Worrgames Kaner Barrel system. It is all aluminium but they have been working well for me. I also like the JT 2 piece. I play woods ball and not much tourney so there you go. The Kaner is very accurate.

R

spacemonkey
03-31-2004, 01:45 PM
i say go with kaner... its nice and very light. I got one for about $130 (pan-am here in vegas)
my friend has an evil pipe system on his angel its nice
my other friend has a freak both of them like it, but the freak will prolly give you more headache than the evilpipe...

WARPED1
03-31-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Lohman446

Yeh.. like say force AKA to stop making Vikings and Excaliburs for instance...

SP had nothing to do with that, just like AGD decided not to make E/Xmags anymore, AKA decided to stop production on its electro markers. If you're going to bash SP, at least get your story straight:rolleyes: ............

TheTramp
03-31-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by WARPED1
SP had nothing to do with that.... AKA decided to stop production on its electro markers.

So you think that AKA would have stoped making their E-markers even if SP wasn't sueing them? Interesting.

Back on topic...I like the freak because you only have to buy one new piece if you change markers.

I like my SM-1 kit more in general but the insert/sleeve/control bore threads into the gun so if you change and need different threads you basicly have to buy a whole new kit.

Dayspring
03-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Scepter kit. When it comes to quality & finish, I think it's tops over just about all of them.

chasden
03-31-2004, 04:01 PM
I used a Freak for almost two years and thought it shot really nice, and always had the right fit for my paint. That said, I just can't see buying anything from a company with such lousy ethics...

The Kaner is also a really great barrel system, nice and light, great milling and anno to it, comes in a lot of colors, and at least as accurate as the Freak. And comes at a good price. I used a Kaner with my Orracle for a long while as well.

I currently shoot the Evil Pipe and like it quite a lot; it shares a lot of the best qualities of the Kaner.

I don't think you could wrong with any of them, except giving money to Smart Parts, that would suck.

James
03-31-2004, 09:22 PM
i used a freak on my rt pro for a while and i loved it..
i voted freak because of that.
the kaner system is nice.

RtDaNiMaL
04-01-2004, 12:27 AM
get a stiffi barrel. in their demo the guy is hammering it on a granite rock and it doesnt evn crack- pure fiberglass. the thing is so freakin lite also

Enemy
04-01-2004, 01:13 AM
im not into the kaner kit from wgp just doesnt strike my fancy. as far as all goes ive always liked sp's barrels but am iffy on how well they would hone an insert compared to a solid back. that is the real debate that i missed seeing, so what do you think is the freaks inserts honed just as well or close to the Pipes or kaners backs????

also i baby my gun and that includes the barrel so durability is really only a minor consideration so lets stay focused on accuracy and quality. thank you you all for post your opinions

Reaver
04-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by paintballa44
get a stiffi barrel. in their demo the guy is hammering it on a granite rock and it doesnt evn crack- pure fiberglass. the thing is so freakin lite also

thats what i got and love it

TTCosmo
04-01-2004, 01:59 PM
I have an older style SP AA barrel on my tippmann 98 - i haven't broken a ball in at least 5 cases of paint. As for the freak kit, ive only heard good things at my local field.

That being said, i don't really like the idea of inserts and currently don't want to give SP any money. I would never buy one of their guns but at the right price, i would consider buying one of thier barrels.

I recently had the chance to try out a friends pipe kit and instantly fell in love. It fixed my paint breaking issues on my new RT Custom with some really crummy pmi premium paint. many people use pipes at my field and so far no complaints about bent tips or anything.

I haven't used any other kits so... yeah
Your best bet is to try out other player's kits on your gun if you can and just see what works for you.

as for me, a 12" red-black pipe is next on my list :)
hope this helps.

Enemy
04-04-2004, 04:31 AM
i wonder do they make a blue to black pipe not a black to blue thats blue back with a faded to black front???