PDA

View Full Version : My quest to tinker with a cocker..

rkjunior303
03-30-2004, 09:01 AM
So, I've been playing paintball on and off now since I was in Junior High, over 10 years ago... I have always shot a mag (which I am quite proud of -- aside from my Omen now) and I am in the mood to tinker with a cocker. I've been bored as of late and I think that'd give me plenty of hours of fun (or headache! lol).. I think of it as one of those 5000 piece puzzles..

Anyways... While I was thinking of picking up a used stock cocker from the forum I guess I would try and see what AO had to offer -- I figure, if enough people have enough spare parts lying around perhaps there could be another 'Frankencocker' to be made like the one that was on here previously.. Maybe it's a long shot but who knows.. Obviously I am being a cheap S.O.B. so I thought i'd give it a shot :)

11_Mile_TMaster
03-30-2004, 12:40 PM
I'm sure you'll find what you need eventually.

Although you might want to go to one of the buy/sell/trade forums, and put up a WTB Post.

rkjunior303
03-30-2004, 03:21 PM
yeah. I am probably going to do that along with look for random parts cheap and maybe a 'box of parts' type thing.. cheaper the better for me :)

punkncat
03-30-2004, 06:15 PM
I have an old chrome eclipse trigger frame.I also have a front block and a few other random parts lying around.
I made a cocker the exact same way.Quite a bit of fun.I got rid of my GX3 and just felt a yearning to have another one.

rkjunior303
03-30-2004, 06:23 PM
i may be willing to take them off your hands once i get some cash squared away for it if your willing to get rid of them!

JEDI
03-30-2004, 06:53 PM
This is just my opinion, but... It doesnt really pay to just slap peices together, when you're building a cocker. You're basically just inviting a headache. There are so many minute changes from year to year, that you're bound to come across a problem.

I suppose its worth it for the experience, but you may end up with a cocker that just plain blows. Cockers can be love/hate depending on what you know, and how you built it. I stand by them, as the best marker out there. But built incorrectly, and you easily have the most problematic marker.

Free is ok, but try to stick to a theme. One brand, one year, etc. I'd say, for the best experience, buy a stock cocker (new or used) and replace parts one by one with NEW stuff.
Just my $.02

rkjunior303
03-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by JEDI
This is just my opinion, but... It doesnt really pay to just slap peices together, when you're building a cocker. You're basically just inviting a headache. There are so many minute changes from year to year, that you're bound to come across a problem.

I suppose its worth it for the experience, but you may end up with a cocker that just plain blows. Cockers can be love/hate depending on what you know, and how you built it. I stand by them, as the best marker out there. But built incorrectly, and you easily have the most problematic marker.

Free is ok, but try to stick to a theme. One brand, one year, etc. I'd say, for the best experience, buy a stock cocker (new or used) and replace parts one by one with NEW stuff.
Just my $.02

thanks for the advice. I defintely had that in the back of my mind. I know how tempremental they can be so i may end up doing something like that. might be worth it to learn from a stock WORKING marker and then learn thru the upgrade process.

can'tthink of1
03-30-2004, 09:33 PM
I just picked up an ebladed cocker to see if I like it, I must say though, even without shooting it yet I'm in love.

BTW what do you think of the omen?

rkjunior303
03-30-2004, 10:10 PM
so far, i love it.. once you get the hang of it the recock is just as quick as the chrono.. I have a pdp chip on it so its plenty fast .. I'm just waiting on a 15* asa and the flush cocking and I'll be happy :)

synergy
03-30-2004, 11:00 PM
well i sorta agree with jedi but if u want a used supped up cocker go to the WGP forum or dont take the risk and buy a new one which i would recommend:)

rkjunior303
03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
if i buy a new one, i'll prob pick up a new 03 vert on ebay or something

kenndogg
03-31-2004, 01:20 AM
I would give building a cocker a try...it really fun. As far as mixing and matching parts it really doesn't matter if you know what your doing. Heck I built a nice cocker for only about 275. Shoots alot better than a new stock cocker thats for sure. If you don't mind buying second hand parts and being all color cordinated, you can build one relativeily cheap.

OfficerGoat
03-31-2004, 02:07 AM
If you really want to save yourself money .... start from scratch and buy the best. You are just going to end up upgrading down the line anyhow. :)

Don't buy a whole gun. get a nice body and start peicing things together from there. Autocockers are a tinkerers best freind :D :D

JEDI
03-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by OfficerGoat
If you really want to save yourself money .... start from scratch and buy the best. You are just going to end up upgrading down the line anyhow. :)

Don't buy a whole gun. get a nice body and start peicing things together from there. Autocockers are a tinkerers best freind :D :D
Thats really the best way to go about it. Both these cockers started out as bodies. Every part hand picked. The FreeFlow actually used to be a red stock vert... but got a new body.
http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=980457

rkjunior303
03-31-2004, 11:38 AM
Well, my only mindset towards messing with a stock one is because I have -no- knowledge of cockers. I don't know the parts, I don't know how to set them up, etc. At least if I had a basis to learn from, i could go from there. If I started out with just a body, I would be worried I'd get too fed up to quickly and just dump it. WHERE AS, if I had a stock one and I learned to time it, etc, to the point where I was comfortable with them by then I should have enough time invested where slowly upgrading it could work..

From what I gather, the main things to look at from stock:

1)barrel (I already have a pipe)
2)springs
3)Reg
4)lpr
5)3way

?