PDA

View Full Version : How do shockers work?

trains are bad
03-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Ok, somebody said they are closed bolt and they fit in one tube soo...

I'm thinking like a cocker w/ a solenoid to run the pneumatics but without a hammer+valve to meter the air.

hmmm.

I would have considered one but got a mag b/c of the ygrip. I felt one at the shop and it's SO LIGHT but gah, the .45 frame...

Thourne
03-30-2004, 08:13 PM
The new Shockers are not true closed bolt guns. They shoot with the bolt closed, but so does every other gun out there. At rest they are in the open bolt position. Not really sure on the operation of the new shocker, but I do know it is not closed bolt despite what SP advertises.

Krazy Ivan
03-30-2004, 08:23 PM
old shocker=closed bolt=shoebox

new 03 shocker=open bolt=small and compact

warbeak2099
03-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Here's how most electropneumatics (the shocker included) work:

1) Trigger is pulled and depresses roller switch.
2) Signal is sent from roller switch to electronic board telling the solenoid to open.
3) Solenoid opens and lets gas move into pneumatic ram.
4) Ram moves forward and depresses pin in the back of the valve much like a hammer.
5) The valve opens and blah blah blah...

Now, that's just a basic explanation. I don't know about the exact timing and parts inside a shocker, but most electropneus use some sort of system including a roller switch, electronic board and pneumatic ram. Some have LPR's to control cycling pressure (not the shocker).

Evil1
03-31-2004, 02:31 AM
The 03 shocker works almost like a cocker ram works. The trigger is pulled activating the solenoid and moving the spool valve to let air in behind the bolt to fire the ball and push the bolt forward. The spool valve then lets air to the front of the bolt to reload the next ball and fill the dump chamber. And no the shocker is not closed bolt it is open bolt. They put an oring in the breech to seal the bolt to the chamber to mimic closed bolt when the bolt is at its forward position. SP calls this slide forward technology.

RRfireblade
03-31-2004, 03:23 PM
;)

http://www.uploadit.org/rrfireblade/matrix_animation.gif

Joni
03-31-2004, 03:30 PM
RRfireblade, if I'm not mistaking, that's a matrix? However, the shocker operates rather similary.

RRfireblade
03-31-2004, 03:35 PM
You are correct on both accounts.;)