PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about picking up a cocker....

Jazzman
03-30-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm in the market for a new gun. I totally dig my classic mag, but I'd like to try some different for a while, and I'd like to stay mechanical. I was planning on picking up a new RT-Pro, but that would also mean picking up an HPA system, and that's above budget. So, I've been thinking about picking up a 2003 Cocker. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. How are cockers as far as chopping, etc?

RoboBeaver
03-30-2004, 10:50 PM
i think cockers + co2 = bad bad bad things happen

they are very high end, ive never shot one, but i know that they take alot of work, maintinence upkeep,

they tend to have quite afew problems sometimes if im not mistaken

synergy
03-30-2004, 10:55 PM
i am a previous cocker owner the 03 is the way to go but dont get the rt mag cause it is not tournement legal my edvice is to save and get a emag or 03 just remember cockers are some what a pain is the *** if u are new to them:mad:

bleachit
03-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by synergy
dont get the rt mag cause it is not tournement legal

thats only true if you have excessive trigger bounce and the marker fires more than one shot per pull. there are several ways to decrease the bounce and ensure it is tourney legal.

kenndogg
03-31-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by RoboBeaver

they are very high end, ive never shot one, but i know that they take alot of work, maintinence upkeep,

you never shot one...than how would you know?

1)cockers run great on co2, heck the stock reg is good on c02. All you really need is an anti-siphon tank.

2)don't take alot of maintaince...once you have it timed and loctited some parts down your good to go.

3)most ppl that have problems try to tinker and end of messing up the timing...its more user error than anything.

Put a cocker in the hands of an incompetant person than problems will occurs. I've yet to have problems that I couldn't fix myself.

As far as chopping...its easier to shortshorke on a cocker than on a mag..so unless you learn the trigger chopping can become an issue. There are two ways around chopping: a JAM anti-chop bolt or by correctly springing and setting the cocking pressure.

Doc Nickel
03-31-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by RoboBeaver

-Oh? Like what? They dissolve due to the corrosive effects of the inert gas?

Seriously, you might keep in mind that 'Cockers hit the fields in about 1990 or '91 (and the Typhoons, using the same pneumatics and parts, have been around since '87) but the first commercial compressed-air systems didn't arrive until '94 and didn't really catch on in a big way 'til '95 or '96.

CO2 won't do a bit of harm to a 'Cocker, even an E-Cocker.

they are very high end, ive never shot one, but i know that they take alot of work, maintinence upkeep

-"The more you fool with them, the more you have to fool with them."

'Cockers are the Harley-Davidson of the paintball world, they're the Tinkerer's gun. If you set it and leave it alone, you rarely have to do more than adjust the velocity.

Years ago when the LPRs weren't as good, and we still were using off-the-shelf 3-ways, and we still had sliding triggers and pot metal grip frames, yes, it took some care and maintenence to keep them in top shape.

Today, LPRs are much better, 3-ways are considerably better, grip frames are machined from billet aluminum and have easy built-in adjustments. Add to that the larger lugs, rollers sears, more consistent regs- and the use of inherently more consistent Compressed Air- and an Autococker is equally as reliable as any other gun on the field.

-Like what problems?

Years ago, it was common to blow an LP hose, mainly due to a small snort of liquid CO2 getting in, or a contaminated LPR seat. Today, most users have HPA, and they're running better regs. A non-problem.

Timing issues? The 3-ways are better, more reliable and have a shorter throw. Or, they're eliminated entirely for an electronic solenoid. Grip frames have built-in adjuster setscrews and sears are more durable. Another non-issue.

Consistency? Accuracy? Short-stroking? How are any of these purely 'Cocker problems? Any mechanical gun can have these problems.

I know a guy who had more problems with his X-Mag all last summer than I did with my mech/swing-trigger 'Cocker.

Doc.

Skoad
03-31-2004, 03:13 AM
2 friends got cockers just recently. They dont' seem to much of a hassle. It seems once you get them set up the first time, unless you change something, they work great forever.

Work perfectly fine on CO2.

Timing doesn't seem that hard as long as you have a full tank ready to trial and error. I can possibly dig up a video explaining some of the timing aspects (if i can find it).

tyrion2323
03-31-2004, 03:14 AM
Wow! You got a DOC response! That ranks up there with the AGD responses!

I'm going to perpetuate false rumours in order to get Doc speaking!

Uhmm...Pump guns are really inaccurate, and they break constantly.

Mags are less accurate than cockers.

Mech guns are a thing of the past.

/waits for Doc to amble back in and kick my arse =)

Skoad
03-31-2004, 03:29 AM
false information will and always will be the ruin of paintball.

better set things straight while you can!

CoolHand
03-31-2004, 04:05 AM
Indeed.

I love autocockers, they just set well with me for some reason.

The FreeFlow I shoot (modified to suit me of course :p ) is rock solid, and has run on CO2 every day of its life.

You wouldn't believe the markers I've ran on CO2 (XValved Mech Mags, EMags, Timmies, and even Angels, but that's another thread), and if fact, even when seeing it in person, most folks refuse to believe it.

I love how people just pass on random rumor as if it were fact. And, to make matters worse, it never seems to be harmless information either. Its always "X won't work . . . EVER", or "X sucks", or "X rocks", and never a word of explaination or reason. In every other community I've settled into (hobby wise), people require reasons (even if they are made up) to believe something, but not in paintball, its actually quite amazing.

Anyhoo, I think you'd like a cocker.

Just treat it nice, and it will treat you nice. (I have yet to see a marker that likes to be drop kicked. :D )

LeatherPants
03-31-2004, 04:10 AM
My mechanical cocker is still my "ol reliable."

I would suggest that you get a cocker if you know someone who can set it for you. Doc is correct that a cocker is a "tinkerer's" marker. I don't know how many things i've changed, valves, springs...etc just because I could.

You can also make them very efficient. I let Bulldog borrow my E Blade this past weekend. He only had his 45/4500 and was only getting 3000 fill. Even with that low of a fill on that small of a tank he was getting 4 pods and a hopper off of my E Orracle.

My mechanical is there for rain days.

GT
03-31-2004, 07:46 AM
2 things I like about cockers

1. efficent if built correctly
2. smaller profile, barrel sits further back than on most guns

2 things i dont like
1. that dam block, on my buds eblade i always manage to bounce the block off mu googles
2. dont get them wet! I treated one of my first cockers to alittle water, much like my mags, and they dont swim so well. 3 ways are unsealed from the elements..

hobbesTZ
03-31-2004, 01:14 PM
I'm getting a 2k1 Shocktech SFL 'cocker in the mail today. If you want I can tell you how I like it. I dunno what your price range is, but I paid $375 for it.

Ityl
03-31-2004, 05:11 PM
If locktite is used on the timing pieces cockers are very reliable. I always had the sear lug wander but I was too lazy to locktite it down hehe. I had ok at best experiences with CO2. Actually there is only 2 markers I've owned that did not have any problems with CO2, Bruizer Pro and an older Automag (the one I bought new just didn't like it, even with a good x-chamber).

My biggest beef with cockers, the trigger. I can't shoot them, especially the swing ones. This is just personal preference though. I do enjoy the last 2 team guns my brother has brought home, Lockout FF with Race and a Rhythm FF with eblade. :)