PDA

View Full Version : Paintball as an olympic sport...

Glickman
03-31-2004, 11:22 PM
why not? i mean, they got:
Aquatics
Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Boxing
Canoe / kayak
Cycling
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Gymnastics
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Table Tennis
Taekwondo

*Deep breath*

Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Weightlifting
Wrestling
Biathlon
Bobsleigh
Curling
Ice Hockey
Luge
Skating
Skiing

so why dont we try to push paintball in there... i mean for mel gibsons' sakes.. BRIDGE IS A OLYMPIC EVENT!!!
WTF>> CARDS??

*deep clensing breath*

I think that we could get aLOT of support for this, i dunno, i might be speaking outta my rear end here,
but whtcah guys think?

it would reallllly bring paintball to a higher level of respectability

whtcah guys think?

Head knight of Ni
03-31-2004, 11:32 PM
Not a likely happening.:( Paintball will undoubtedly be an event eventually but who needs the olympics when you have X-ball.:D

-=Squid=-
03-31-2004, 11:37 PM
I believe several years ago it was something like 2 votes off from becoming one?

Head knight of Ni
03-31-2004, 11:43 PM
meh, other countries would acuse it of being another "snowboarding event" where America invented the sport made it an event and then kicked everyone elses a** at the event.:D

viper_ssc
03-31-2004, 11:47 PM
I dont think that we will be in the olympics for a long time. All those sports already in the olympics depend on physical strength but all we depend too much on technology. We have to do is run from bunker to bunker shooting each other for a few minutes while in the other sports you go for miles for long periods at a time. I think paintball would be better in the Xgames.

Uziel
03-31-2004, 11:48 PM
Well, paintball is most definitely more of a sport than Bridge, snowboarding, and *rofl* curling. I suppose if someone chucking an iron ball as far as possible deserves international recognition, so does PB.

Whether or not any of that should be an olympic event is another matter ;p

elpimpo
03-31-2004, 11:56 PM
well, it missed 04 by one vote, and someone was saying its in 08 but that could just be a bad rumor

spadge67
04-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by viper_ssc
I dont think that we will be in the olympics for a long time. All those sports already in the olympics depend on physical strength but all we depend too much on technology. We have to do is run from bunker to bunker shooting each other for a few minutes while in the other sports you go for miles for long periods at a time. I think paintball would be better in the Xgames.

If everyone has high end markers, then theres more emphasis on strategy.

yeahthatsme
04-01-2004, 12:08 AM
this has been covered dozen of times here, on other forums, on warpig and FON, and in paintball magazines. x-ball will be a strong contender for the olympics, hopefully its our ticket in. but i also believe that paintball hasnt met the other requirements for an olympic sport, somebody needs to look those up and post them...

nippinout
04-01-2004, 12:20 AM
Curling is a medal sport and chess is an exhibition sport. :rolleyes:

It's my belief that there is too much crap in the Olympics now.

Take out all the team sports besides things like gymnastics and relay races.

The games began as a way to show off how awesome you are at warfare skills like throwing big iron balls and jumping over walls. Now we got things like speed walking and rhythmic gymnastics.

I'm not saying that these things require no athletic ability, training, dedication...

The only sport that I can be fully behind is women's beach volleyball. Possibly the best spectator sport in the world.

elpimpo
04-01-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by nippinout

The only sport that I can be fully behind is women's beach volleyball. Possibly the best spectator sport in the world.

what about aerobics?

JimmyBeam
04-01-2004, 12:23 AM
paper rock scissors is more of a sport than curling IMO

kevdupuis
04-01-2004, 12:56 AM
An interesting question would be, "How would being an Olympic sport affect past, current, and future patents".

baka
04-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by nippinout
Curling is a medal sport and chess is an exhibition sport. :rolleyes:

It's my belief that there is too much crap in the Olympics now.

Take out all the team sports besides things like gymnastics and relay races.

The games began as a way to show off how awesome you are at warfare skills like throwing big iron balls and jumping over walls. Now we got things like speed walking and rhythmic gymnastics.

I'm not saying that these things require no athletic ability, training, dedication...

There's also to much crap in pb right now, but pb would be one kick@ss Olympic sport.

Oman, womens beach volleyball is ok, alot of those chick are flat chested and ripped, but if thats how you like'em.:D I for one say womens swimming, whats better then that(besides the condoms on there head), there wet, there women. Gymnastics is pretty cool too, b/c of all those hot Ex-Soviet chicks, but those big legs scare me sometimes.

Smoke
04-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by elpimpo
well, it missed 04 by one vote, and someone was saying its in 08 but that could just be a bad rumor

I heard the same thing.

Vendetta
04-01-2004, 10:16 AM
All those other sports have one thing paintball does not have, a governing body. Until PB gets some real oversight, it cannot be a "offical" sport.

tonybhall
04-01-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty sure SP has a patent on that too...

GA Devil
04-01-2004, 11:25 AM
you forgot underwater basket weaving

Meph
04-01-2004, 11:29 AM
Why not?

No international committee for paintball and no absolute designated set of rules enforced by said committee.

Those are a couple of good reasons why not!

Which is why I always wanted to know what jack got the source for the magazine "Missed the Olympics by 1 vote" I didn't believe that then and don't now. I think somebody started a really bad rumor with that and the magazine printed it.

Eagle
04-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah, last time they voted for what sports to include, it missed out by only 1 or 2 votes. I mean for gods sake, trampoline jumping is an olympic sport, so why not paintball?

Vendetta
04-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Just because a sport is recognized by the Olympic movement does not mean it is in the games. Check out their site http://www.olympic.org

PIT
04-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Eagle,
don't judge a sport you know nothing about.
I've been doing trampoline for 14 years and paintball for 8 years.
Trampoline requires much physical strength as the top athletes jump at heights near 20ft and perform 10 skill routines with triple somersaults and various double somersaults with multiple twists. Trampolinists pull nearly 15Gs at the bottom of their bounce.
Don't confuse recreational trampoline on $300 trampolines to competitive trampolines on $7000 trampolines, same as I don't confuse recreational paintball with $200 equipment to that of $2000+ equipment.
I would love for paintball to be an Olympic sport just as much as any other paintball player but for the same reasons that Meph pointed out, it won't happen.

Cheers!

Benfica4ever
04-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Yea that would be awsome to have paintball in there
And wth is a Biathlon?

Uziel
04-01-2004, 06:09 PM
ok...someone want to define these for me?

Korfball
Pelote Basque
Bandy
DanceSport
Life Saving (wth!?!)
Orienteering (even worse...yeah...point a compass.)

Apprently pointing a compass toward magnetic north has an oversight commission ;p

WenULiVeUdiE
04-01-2004, 06:48 PM
There are a number of things that need to hapen in order for paintball to make it to the olympics. First off is we need an international committee, such as ICA(international curling association, made it up)I am not talking about the NPPL or PSP. This must be used as a governing body/sanction. With out this, we cant even have a demo. We also need at least 15 million people to participate in our sport. This is quite easy to do. I had a great respone on FoN, Ill get a link. It explains it all in more detail.

digitard
04-01-2004, 07:53 PM
sorry sir, i do apologize that you flew your entire team from Russia ... but its field paint only :)

CocainSmurf
04-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Benfica4ever
Yea that would be awsome to have paintball in there
And wth is a Biathlon?

biathlon is just a race with 2 events like a triathlon minus an event

steveo356
04-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
I believe several years ago it was something like 2 votes off from becoming one?

LMAO * whipes screen for projectile spit*

prolly but its not our fault they suck at it ... either way angel is based in england well no sponsered teams could join tho... so u may be surprised by the markers that might make it to the podiums.

WenULiVeUdiE
04-01-2004, 09:29 PM
A biatholon ( in the winter games) is usually a cross country ski race and a shooting competition. This may sound like a very odd combo, but it makes sense. When people had to actually hunt for food up north, they had to travel quickly and shoot accurately.

Eagle
04-01-2004, 10:33 PM
I've done the Orienteering before, you have to find your way from point A to point B over rough terrain as quickly as possible. Imagine running a marathon with no clearly marked course, do you go over or around that mountain? Which would be faster? You got a map and compass, it can be fun if you know what you're doing.

baka
04-02-2004, 02:28 AM
thats kinda like that eco challenge stuff. Sounds kinda fun.

billmi
04-02-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Eagle
Yeah, last time they voted for what sports to include, it missed out by only 1 or 2 votes.

Can you back that up, or is it just a rumor you heard online?

Vendetta
04-02-2004, 01:22 PM
It has to be an "urban legend".

nippinout
04-02-2004, 01:25 PM
We don't pee into cups now, and probably never will.

billmi
04-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by WenULiVeUdiE
We also need at least 15 million people to participate in our sport.

With an estimated 8.7 million people who've played paintball once, and 1.7 million who play it regularly (15 or more times a year) in the US, I'm not sure we're so close to that world wide.

However, that seems kind of odd, because there are fewer snowboarders in the US (7.7 million participants in 2002 - same year as the paintball figures) yet snowboarding is in the Olympics.

I find it *really* hard to believe that there are more than 15 million people in the world that participate in curling, or biathalon, or foil fencing, or that funky gymnastic dance where they twirl ribbons to music.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

karphead
04-02-2004, 05:03 PM
If X-ball went Olympic, do you think all of the players would start using steroids/performance enhancing drugs lie the participants in every other event? Just a thought...

Juiced up fingers, anyone?

Bucky
04-02-2004, 06:14 PM
god i wish paintball was an olympic sport, because instead of being apart of the medical staff for the U.S. track and field team, i could be apart of the medical staff for the U.S. paintball team. oh well, maybe in 08.

Uziel
04-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Bucky, you a paramedic or a doc?

Bucky
04-08-2004, 08:36 PM
actually im a pt (physical therapy) guy myself. and my employer is in charge of putting the medical staff together, so i was fortunate to get to do that.

elpimpo
04-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by billmi

Can you back that up, or is it just a rumor you heard online?

it was in an eddition of pb2x

wobbles82
04-08-2004, 10:47 PM
steveo356..im probably the only one who requests this, but could you restate what you said in English? That just confused me, lol.

Anywhos, I remember that issue where they mention paintball in the olympics I thinks, wasn't in like the beginning of the issue where they just throw facts around?
If we want to be serious about this though the sport has to be turned in a very, very well judgable direction and all. To most of us when we see cheating we get mad and usually then forget about it, if I saw somebody cheat in curling by having a diamond tipped broom, I wouldn't be too fond of the game..well im not now, but you get the point. The game has to be cleaned to the point of being accepted, so we cant always have ramping dwells, ramping bounce, anything ramping! And if its X-Ball, which I think is the most friendly-user format, PSP has to get on the ball with better judging. I think even 7-man wouldnt be a bad idea, but in any case NPPL and PSP have to get their respective leagues in line with reffing, and cheaters. Perhaps after all this a truly international series can take place and then some world events such as the Olympics could show off the best from each country.

elpimpo
04-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by wobbles82

If we want to be serious about this though the sport has to be turned in a very, very well judgable direction and all. To most of us when we see cheating we get mad and usually then forget about it, if I saw somebody cheat in curling by having a diamond tipped broom, I wouldn't be too fond of the game..well im not now, but you get the point.

so your not to fond of any lineman in football, or all absketball players, or hockey players?

WenULiVeUdiE
04-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by karphead
If X-ball went Olympic, do you think all of the players would start using steroids/performance enhancing drugs lie the participants in every other event? Just a thought...

Juiced up fingers, anyone?

I think paintballers are smart enough not to take steroids. If theyarent Ill just show them my report I did on the dangers of steroids. Would you risk a shrunken testicle for 3 bps faster? Or how about liver cancer or heart disease? Or even death?

Temo Vryce
04-09-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm sure that if you looked hard enough you can find the information required to make Paintball an Olympic sport here:

http://www.olympic.org/uk/index_uk.asp

Good luck though.

Glickman
04-09-2004, 12:32 AM
still, you cant deny that we do get a few dumbasses who could ruin everything for everyone. one guy is found to have been doing drugs (proformance enhancing or not) which, unfortunitly, undoubtably happends with some paintballers, gives the rest of us a even worse image...

la690
04-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Uziel
Orienteering (even worse...yeah...point a compass.)

Apprently pointing a compass toward magnetic north has an oversight commission ;p

actually, its magnetic south, geographic north:D