PDA

View Full Version : AO's Stance On Stem Cell Research

Mateo
03-31-2004, 11:39 PM
Well its that time of year for most high school students: their junior year research paper. I decided I wanted to do something interesting, contreversial, etc. At first I wanted to do the war on Iraq, taken, Liberals? Teacher didn't approve since she thinks the world should be solved with government programs. Then I remembered the debate over stem cell research. So what do you think of stem cell research?

nippinout
03-31-2004, 11:58 PM
There is so much good that can come from stem cell research.

Imagine being able to repair the body with human tissue grown in a lab.

I saw a NOVA show where they took mice stem cells and created a group of heart cells that began to beat. Amazing stuff.

The possibilities of stem cell research are so great, but we are prevented from doing so.

Butterfingers
04-01-2004, 12:01 AM
This is somthing I dont agree with Bush on...

I am FOR stem cell research...

I also beleive there is enormous potental in stem cells. With one omnipotental stem cell we could grow an organ to replace one destroyed by disease...

There are so many possibilities research would revolutionize medicine.

RetroEclipseMan
04-01-2004, 12:33 AM
I am totally for it, just for the fact that it could potentially save the lives of thousands that would have originally died before this research began.

edweird
04-01-2004, 01:25 AM
I would think that with a majority share one could say that Automags.org members are pro-stem cell research.

after all its basicly the biological equilivant of using JBweld to scratch build a Xvalve... How darn cool is that?

If its playing god... so be it. After all we all follow the golden calf that is over-engineered AGD paintball gear.

Lethargic
04-01-2004, 01:56 AM
For what its worth, I support stem cell research in any way shape or form. I firmly believe biotech is going to be the next big breakthrough in science and industry, and Stem cell research is where is this breakthrough is going ot occur. Whether or not the US is involved remains to be seen...

RoadDawg
04-01-2004, 01:59 AM
I'm for it. Anything that can help others w/ severe problems internally (much like my sister-in-law (M.S)) I'm all for it.

Oh_Davey
04-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Whats so controversal about stem cell research? From what I've heard its all good.

Restola
04-01-2004, 06:01 PM
I am all for it.

My god doesn't think a cell is the same as a baby.

Mateo
04-01-2004, 07:53 PM
The contreversy is all the major medical questions and ethics. When does a human life begin? At fertilization or when the first signs of a nervous system or brain develop? Is it right to "kill" embryos for research? Is it right to commercialize human life if the research is complete? Should a federal governemnt back it? Can we use adult stem cells which are found in bone marrow instead of the debated embryonic stem cells even though they show not as great as a potential? Many other more.

You got your anti abortion/cloning pro life religious people who are against it. Then you got people who see past that and see the potential. This is where the argument starts. I think Bush shoulda allowed it, but thats my personal opinion.

Restola
04-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Mateo
Should a federal governemnt back it?
I don't think the government should have anything to do with this.

sharpshooter1286
04-01-2004, 09:13 PM
i am for it, but i think they should find a different way to do it...like extract a few stem cells from the fetus instead of just ruin the whole fetus. idk if thats possible tho, i was just thinkin.

ShortStrokeTX
04-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Personally, this might sound like a negative view on everything. But the population keeps on increasing with the advent of new medicines and stuff like that. Diseases and other things are lifes way of keeping balance. Well we've already tipped the scales, a lot. I mean it'd be cool to be able to grow organs to replace a destroyed one but thinking in terms of nature's balance and everything, it was pretty obvious that Mother Natures was tired of that person taking up space :p

Brak
04-01-2004, 09:49 PM
i think that there is some sort of universal equilibrium that must be kept, and people are dying for a reason, human nature is to keep alive, so we are trying to cure these diseases, and stem cell research is another way we are trying to prevent suffering, and it very well may help us very much in that pursuit. im impartial and have no polar view on the issue, but you have to take in that opinion too, sorry if i sound pessimistic

yeahthatsme
04-01-2004, 09:59 PM
i'm for it, 100%.

Restola
04-01-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by ShortStrokeTX
Personally, this might sound like a negative view on everything. But the population keeps on increasing with the advent of new medicines and stuff like that. Diseases and other things are lifes way of keeping balance. Well we've already tipped the scales, a lot. I mean it'd be cool to be able to grow organs to replace a destroyed one but thinking in terms of nature's balance and everything, it was pretty obvious that Mother Natures was tired of that person taking up space
I know you are being at least a little facetious, but no one is "pro-nature" when it's their lives and the lives of their family being hurt.

nippinout
04-01-2004, 11:32 PM
You can extract stem cells from umbilical cords.

Jack_Dubious
04-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Im all for it. Any step closer to my dream of a clone army, im all for. :)

JDub

Fixion
04-02-2004, 12:23 AM
I'm not too familiar with how stem cells are gathered, but this is my thinking:

If acquiring stem cells doesn't harm/kill a fetus, I'm all for it. But I don't want a baby/fetus to get distroyed/killed just so I can get a new kidney.

Restola
04-02-2004, 12:38 AM
They don't suck them out of the brain of 8 month old fetuses as some would like you to believe.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/16/1728_86306.htm?lastselectedguid=

What are stem cells?

All of us start from a single cell formed at conception, when a sperm cell joins with an egg. This cell then starts dividing and forms a ball of cells. About four days after conception, this ball of cells starts changing its shape and individual cells in that ball starting changing and becoming different from their neighbors. At this time, the ball of cells is smaller than a pinpoint. This process, called differentiation, allows some cells to become liver cells and other cells to become nerve cells or skin cells and so on.

This process is similar to the way in which a plant grows. In the beginning, a stem grows out of the seed you planted, which then has branches, and eventually leaves, fruits, and flowers grow on those branches.

The cells in the developing stem can give rise to all the different branches and leaves and fruits in the plant. Similarly, the "stem" cells in humans give rise to all the different cells in the body.

What are the different kinds of stem cells?

When the embryo is still a ball of immature cells (in the first four days of its development), its cells are called totipotent stem cells -- that is, they have "total potential" and can form a human being if they were separated and implanted individually into a woman's uterus.

After four days, they are pluripotent -- that is, they have the potential to still form virtually every cell in the body, but can no longer form an entire human being by themselves. As the cells continue to divide into more cells, they become multipotent -- that is, they have the potential to form several different kinds of cells, but not all kinds of cells.

These three types -- totipotent, pluripotent and multipotent -- are the three basic types of stem cells.
If an eight day old ball of cells (which you can't even see) is so important that it outweighs the potential benefits to hundreds of thousands of living humans who live with dibilitating diseases...I can't understand your reasoning.

Fixion
04-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the info.

If an eight day old ball of cells (which you can't even see) is so important that it outweighs the potential benefits to hundreds of thousands of living humans who live with dibilitating diseases...I can't understand your reasoning.

He got that from webmd.com its not his reasoning.

I'm all for Adult stem cell research. But embrionic stem cell research, not unless they use the ones they already have. I don't really want them to "harvest" even more embryos than they have already for research or other purposes. I just don't feel its right.

Restola
04-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Fixion
He got that from webmd.com its not his reasoning.

Huh? That was an open statement to anyone who thinks its wrong.

Think you mis-read my post a little :)

Butterfingers
04-02-2004, 11:22 PM
I dont see any ethical qualms with stem cells... why people oppose it is beyond me...

Of course I am also pro-choice... up to a point...

Rooster
04-03-2004, 07:31 AM
"If an eight day old ball of cells (which you can't even see) is so important that it outweighs the potential benefits to hundreds of thousands of living humans who live with dibilitating diseases...I can't understand your reasoning."

The question is potensial. What does that group of eight cells have the potensial to become. If you value the potensial of something that doesn't exist yet, then embrionic stem cell research is wrong. Is one life worth more than another becuase one happens to be a few years older? I have no problem with umbelical stem-cell research.

On a completely different tangent, I think we need to solve the population problems on this planet long before we go trying to cure all diseases. We will always end up in equilibrium with this planet, either we figure it out now, or we wait until we run out of resources and humans start to die out. Cancer, AIDS, et al. are the human form of natural selection. We have done our species a great diservice by extending the lives of people who carry faulty genes, so they can pass them on.

Restola
04-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Rooster
On a completely different tangent, I think we need to solve the population problems on this planet long before we go trying to cure all diseases. We will always end up in equilibrium with this planet, either we figure it out now, or we wait until we run out of resources and humans start to die out. Cancer, AIDS, et al. are the human form of natural selection. We have done our species a great diservice by extending the lives of people who carry faulty genes, so they can pass them on.
The only problem with that is you talk about our "species". Well these are real people. If you want to make a difference...you can start at home. Stop going to the doctor and refuse to let any family members go, don't have any kids ever, refuse to wear glasses, etc.

Rooster
04-03-2004, 11:14 PM
There is a difference between passing on faulty genes and getting a broken arm fixed.

Restola
04-04-2004, 01:20 AM
and...

ShortStrokeTX
04-04-2004, 01:28 AM
Well if people in China and India weren't such horny bastards there would be a billion less people on the earth hehe.

Mateo
04-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Well at least now China has done the whole 1 kid thing. India and Pakistan need to have a little nuclear war and that should take care of a lot of population problems;) (j/k)