PDA

View Full Version : 04 NHL Playoffs.... who's gonna win?

RoadDawg
04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Just thought I'd take a poll to see who the people of AO think will win the playoffs. For those that don't know here's how they stack up so far.
Eastern Division
1-Tampa Bay vs #8 NY Isles (TB 4-1)
2-Boston vs #7 Montreal (Mon 4-3)
3 Philadelphia vs #6 New Jersey (Phi 4-1)
4-Toronto vs #5 Ottawa (Tor 4-3)

Western Division
1-Detroit vs #8 Nashville (Det 4-2)
2-San Jose vs #7 St. Louis (SJ 4-2)
3-Vancouver vs #6 Calgary (Cal 4-3)
4-Colorado vs #5 Dallas (Col 4-1)

2nd Rnd Western
#4 Colorado vs #2 San Jose (4-2 SJ won series)
#6 Calgary vs #1 Detroit (4-2 CAL Won series)
2nd Rnd Eastern
#1 Tampa Bay vs #7 Montreal (4-0 TB won series)
#3 Philidelphia vs #4 Toronto (4-2 PHI won series)

3rd Round
Eastern
Tampa Bay vs Philadelphia (4-3 TAMPA WINS)
Western
San Jose vs Calgary (2-4 Calgary WINS)

STANLEY CUP FINALS!!!!
#6 Calgary Flames vs #1 Tampa Bay Lightning (3-4) TAMPA BAY IS THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS of 2004.

So who is gonna take it? My pick for the west will be San Jose and my pick of the east will be Ottawa. San Jose raise the cup though. SJ still has a shot but Ottawa didn't even go past rd 1. Both my picks are out. :(
EDITED 6/5/04

Thordic
04-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Detroit or Tampa Bay.

ShooterJM
04-01-2004, 01:36 PM
My standard hope is anyone but the dingers.

Western is more clear cut, but I think dallas has a better shot then vancouver. Eastern is pretty convoluted. Pretty much whoever gets a hot goalie.

Wolfen
04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Red Wings all the way! If they can play the season with half their lineup injured, I'm sure another playoff won't be too much trouble. :D

StuDawggie
04-01-2004, 04:10 PM
Being from Detroit and after going to the Wings/Aves game on the 27th, you would think I would say the wings, but that's not the case. I have a feeling in my gut that Calgary will take it. They're young, fast, and agressive a team as any. Add im that they've been unbelievably hot as of late. Plus no one wants to play them cuz they know how to step their game up. So final word, I want Detroit, but my money's on Calgary.

Thordic
04-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Just as a note, I do hope that Colorado wins it, because Im a huge BamBam fan.

You guys just have to give him back next season so we can give him the C :)

Big'n slo
04-01-2004, 04:38 PM
http://students.ou.edu/B/Michael.J.Benshoof-1/pennjersey.jpg
Eh?

RoadDawg
04-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Thordic
Just as a note, I do hope that Colorado wins it, because Im a huge BamBam fan.

You guys just have to give him back next season so we can give him the C :)

u talking about Barnaby? I don't see him with a C but with a A.

Big'n'slo- That's one big flyer jersey.

logamus
04-01-2004, 05:41 PM
my heart believes that dallas wins the west and the cup. my brain would be right in line witht that if dallas could have played better on the road this season. their road power play is dreadful. i think that colorado has a great shot, but with forsberg's health and tommy 'cant make it out of the first round' salo or david 'playoff virgin' aebischer in net, well im not sold on them. i think that detroit wins the west. as much as it pains me to type that as nothing gives me more hockey pleasure than watching the deadwings lose.

in the east, the devils are on top of the hill until someone knocks them off, and i dont see that someone in the east. plus it will drive thor crazy. :p

devils over the deadwings in 6.

ShooterJM
04-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by logamus
i think that colorado has a great shot, but with forsberg's health and tommy 'cant make it out of the first round' salo or david 'playoff virgin' aebischer in net, well im not sold on them.

Those are my concerns as well. If the first two lines can get/stay healthy (only happened 18 times this season) and abby plays the way he has all season I think the avs are the team to beat.

grw4w34
04-01-2004, 05:55 PM
SHARKS!!!

Thordic
04-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by RoadDawg
u talking about Barnaby? I don't see him with a C but with a A.

If you watched him play all year, you'd see how he exemplifies working hard every shift, every game, no matter what the circumstances. He never gives up, always plays hard, never quits. I can't think of better qualities for a leader to have in hockey.

logamus
04-01-2004, 07:19 PM

If you watched him play all year, you'd see how he exemplifies working hard every shift, every game, no matter what the circumstances. He never gives up, always plays hard, never quits. I can't think of better qualities for a leader to have in hockey.
exactly why i think guerin should have the c in dallas. but i can only imagine the revolt from the cocaine and boobjob crowd if modano was 'reduced' to his old a. not that i think modano doesnt have those qualities, i just think that is usually not a great idea to thrust the c on your superstar.

RoadDawg
04-01-2004, 07:31 PM

I still don't see him with a C. I say this from a not so often viewer but he seems to draw too many penalties. I'll admit he is a hard worker, hell he proved that with his goal against the Kings the other night in Colorado. Just my 2 cents though.

dj89
04-01-2004, 07:38 PM
y do you bother asking there going to win

ya right

The Deacon
04-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Colorado... so long as we keep that chump Aebischer out of net.

God I hate that guy...

bofh
04-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Seriously, it'll be the Bruins to take the cup this year...

bwhahaha, I crack myself up. :)

ShooterJM
04-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by The Deacon
Colorado... so long as we keep that chump Aebischer out of net.

God I hate that guy...

Awwww why the hate? He's got great positioning!

First season as a starter and he currently has 31 wins, 2.09 gaa, and a .924 save%!

That measns, he's #6 in wins. Like 7th in gaa amoung people who have started 30 games or more. And his save percentage is better then Legace, Nabokov, Theodore, Brodeur, Belfour, Turco, Giguere, etc. All this while facing the 8th most shots in the league.

Salo is a decent veteren, but I wouldn't want him starting between the pipes.

Thordic
04-02-2004, 11:21 AM

I still don't see him with a C. I say this from a not so often viewer but he seems to draw too many penalties. I'll admit he is a hard worker, hell he proved that with his goal against the Kings the other night in Colorado. Just my 2 cents though.

Nothing wrong with a captain fighting. Barnaby gets a lot of penalties, but a LOT of them are fights, which tend to energize a team. His other penalties tend to be agitating ones, not stupid ones.

The Rangers next year will have a mostly young team. Barnaby wouldn't be a good captain for a veteran team, but for young kids, I think he'd do a great job. A lot of these kids are coming out of the AHL and college with a lot of energy, and if their captain is a guy who works his tail off every shift, never quits, then they will be more likely to keep their energy level high.

Altimas
04-02-2004, 11:25 AM
DA BEARS!!!!

Fred
04-02-2004, 11:38 AM
I'll be cheering the wings on, but I've barely followed the NHL this season.

GO WINGS!

---Fred

ShooterJM
04-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Fred
I'll be cheering the wings on, but I've barely followed the NHL this season.

GO WINGS!

---Fred

*cough* typical dinger fan *cough*

:D :D :D just kidding man!

oh hey, 3k posts. wow.

RoadDawg
04-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM

Awwww why the hate? He's got great positioning!

First season as a starter and he currently has 31 wins, 2.09 gaa, and a .924 save%!

That measns, he's #6 in wins. Like 7th in gaa amoung people who have started 30 games or more. And his save percentage is better then Legace, Nabokov, Theodore, Brodeur, Belfour, Turco, Giguere, etc. All this while facing the 8th most shots in the league.

Salo is a decent veteren, but I wouldn't want him starting between the pipes.

Super Salo has proven himself a couple times. First on the international scene when he was the goalie for sweden in the 94 olympics. He got a gold as the starting goalie. 1995 & 1996 IHL Championships for the (Denver) & currently Utah Grizzlies. Unfortunatly all those came cause he had a hell of a defense in front of him. If you notice he didn't do well for the Isles cause well they had crappy defenseman when he was up there. First team he had a good defense on and he took them to the playoffs. So with a good defense he can get the job done, except in the playoffs. That first round curse might be tough to get over. None the less Tommy Salo is a darn good goalie when the defense is in front.

I also hate to point out that you listed Giguerre as a reference. Everyone in their right mind knows to go high on the guy. He needs to correct his style if he's gonna duplicate last season's performance. Other then that all those goaltenders are darn good goalies. Nabakov is the suprising one IMO.

ShooterJM
04-02-2004, 02:11 PM
I also hate to point out that you listed Giguerre as a reference. Everyone in their right mind knows to go high on the guy. He needs to correct his style if he's gonna duplicate last season's performance. Other then that all those goaltenders are darn good goalies. Nabakov is the suprising one IMO.

Good post! I should have explained my Salo comment a bit more. I just think Salo hasn't had the time to gel with the defense enough. He will be a very good vet backup and will help bring sauve along as well. Provided we can hold onto him long enough!

I was waiting for someone (figured it'd be thordic) to point that out about giguerre. I included him mostly because he was a hot goaltender last season and a lot of people, for some reason, think that automatically puts him in the top echelon of goaltenders in the league.

Thordic
04-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Giguere had a lucky season. Even last year I didn't hop on his bandwagon because you could tell he had a lot to work on. I wasn't surprised this season when he didn't play as well.

All I care about salo is he got his butt KICKED by cloutier back in the day.

www.thordic.com/files/SalovsCloutier.avi

The Deacon
04-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Well, the main thing I see for the Avs is ditching Worrell. He pulls a bunch of stupid penalties and he's not that great of a defenseman. Colorado should ditch himn for a decent attacker to put us back in the offensive game a bit more.

ShooterJM
04-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Worrell plays left wing, 4th line. I haven't watched his defensive play much, but I can definately see him getting caught deep in the offensive zone and not quick enough to get back.

He'll generally be benched/scratched unless things start to get chippy. We shouldn't ditch him though. That'd leave the avs without a heavyweight. And for an enforcer he's actually quite good about taking penalties.

He won't play much, if at all, but they'll keep him.

RoadDawg
04-02-2004, 11:36 PM
Thordic that video ruled. I kinda figured it had to do with the NYR vs NYI games. Salo is definatly not a fighter and it showed there. Cloutier whipped him good. Anyways. I could see Worrell out in case Vancouver and Colorado meet. Something tells me that would be a brutal series after the whole Moore incident. Which brings me to the point of enforcers. They are needed in this type of sport. I think the instigator penalty should be abandoned.

dj89
04-03-2004, 12:02 AM
buff out dam o well i had a good time there at the game

Fred
04-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by ShooterJM

*cough* typical dinger fan *cough*

:D :D :D just kidding man!

oh hey, 3k posts. wow.

Whatever. Wings pwn the Nordiques!

---Fred

RoadDawg
04-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Updated the first post. Missed last nights games. Anything cool/interesting happen?

RoadDawg
04-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Playoffs have been intense. The Vancouver/Calgary game 7 was thrilling. Hope the Toronto/Ottawa game 7 keeps up with the same flow.

ShooterJM
04-20-2004, 12:56 PM
No kidding, should be a good game. 2nd round match ups in the west look good!

The Deacon
04-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Forgot about this thread...

Worrell isn't much of an enforcer, he just wrestles people down. Big whoop.

If we needed an enforcer, then where did Parker go? That guy know how to fight! He could actually play decent hockey compared to Worrell too!

My question is where did Messier go to? He stopped shots like no tomorrow and wasn't afraid to take on guys 3 times his size. He was a helluva player.

As it stands now, I slate Detroit to face Tampa Bay, wth Detroit taking it, regardless of how much I hate them.

rkjunior303
04-20-2004, 01:46 PM
I can't believe my bruins lost.

Team to beat is the Avs.

Prob an COL/TB final.

gimp
04-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Yeah. I was also very dissapointed when the Bruins blew it. 0 points by Thorton in the whole series. Wha'ts going on!!!

RoadDawg
04-20-2004, 07:53 PM
The team that has suprised me most is the Sharks. Not a lot of big names but they are doing great. Should be an interesting series between SJ and Colorado. Team I've been most disappointed in was Devils. In honesty I think the Sharks can beat the Av's but it's gonna go to 7 for them to do it. Flames and Wings is gonna be a blow out for the Wingers. Iginla, I mean the Flames, just managed to squeak by the Canucks. Iginla was a heck of a force though. That guy has some talent and has a hot hand. Question for Detroit is do you keep CuJo in net or go back to Legace? I say ride CuJo til he loses. The Av's vs Sharks should be interesting. Aebischer vs Nabokov. Two outstanding goalies but both are young and not real playoff experienced. Tommy Salo finally got past the first round but I don't see him playing. He's keeping the bench warm just fine.

In the eastern spot I see Tampa and Philidelphia being the two tough teams. Tampa will go all the way if they keep up their intensity. Toronto looks like they'll be advancing (up 3-1 at the end of the 2nd period) I don't see them getting by Philadelphia. The ex Blackhawk line is just clicking and Primeau is a threat on the other line. They are just gonna steam roll Toronto. Especially since Sundin won't be 100% and Niewendyk isn't completely healthy either. Should be interesting though.

puckmaster
04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm gonna say avs will win, and i'll be cheering for them, but i want Canadiens to win. I think that they should have the title of "Hockeytown", instead of sell out detroit. I just want to see a team with a lower payroll win. Althoe avs payroll is still a little high, there rookies are doin great.(kovelchuck, the guy who scored in double overtime, liles, etc.)

xXHavokXx
04-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Avs. As long as Forsberg stays healthy and Abeishcer keeps his **** together they can go all the way. The wings are too beaten up to go into a long playoff series

-Carnifex-
04-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Abeischer proved himself in the games against Dallas.

Forsberg is amazing and in good health.

We've got out key defensemen back (Niko, Hinote) and Tanguay.

No Kariya, but I never liked him (too selfish).

Oh, and the series was 4-1 Av's, not 4-2.

-Carnifex-
04-20-2004, 10:09 PM
Avs. As long as Forsberg stays healthy and Abeishcer keeps his **** together they can go all the way. The wings are too beaten up to go into a long playoff series

We can win it without Forsberg, now that we've got the aforementioned back along with Svatos and Hall (sp?).

xXHavokXx
04-21-2004, 05:18 AM
We can win it without Forsberg, now that we've got the aforementioned back along with Svatos and Hall (sp?).

It is entirely possible to win without forsberg but he's like a ceremonial figure head at times. Having him there seems to encourage them. Svatos is fun to watch because he has so much speed and can can expolde down ice with the puck.

And im jealous, my sister is goign to see Avs whip the Sharks thurs night.

grw4w34
04-21-2004, 06:01 PM
All of you who think its going to be anyone other than the sharks are wrong.

StuDawggie
04-24-2004, 05:13 AM
IProb an COL/TB final.

So ante up with an answer, Col or TB...

Here's my prediction...Calgary taking the cup for the first time in 15 years. After they beat Detroit in 5, Sharks in the Western finals in 7, and Tampa Bay in the finals in 6.

MagMan5446
04-24-2004, 05:19 AM
All of you who think its going to be anyone other than the sharks are wrong.

Yeah!! cali all the way

datapimp69
04-25-2004, 01:27 AM
all i have to say....

SoccerPaintball3
04-26-2004, 05:07 PM
red wings all the way!!!

RoadDawg
04-26-2004, 05:22 PM
I don't see the Wings hoisting the cup. They have talent but I don't see them competeing with the Sharks in the West. IF somehow they get past the Sharks they won't get past Philadelphia or Tampa Bay. Tampa has my pick (Ottawa choked)in the East and San Jose has my west pick.

grw4w34
04-26-2004, 11:10 PM
Sharks up 3-0 on the series with Colorado.

RoadDawg
04-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Updated the series count to tonight. San Jose is sticking it to Colorado. I sure hope they sweep them.

The Deacon
04-27-2004, 12:18 AM
Screw you too, buddy. :D

It won't be too hard for you to put it away though, I mean you guys have a goalie...

Why won't they start Salo? Sure Aebischer has good numbers, but that's because the rest of the team carries him. I hear "Save by Aebischer!" and half the time it was caught up in traffic or deflected away. I mean, when you guys can use his BACK to shoot shots in... you might as well just shoot at an empty net.

Trade you Aebischer and Worrell for Nabokov...

RoadDawg
04-27-2004, 11:31 AM
To be honest I'm a L.A Kings fan. It wasn't til I watched the Kings vs Sharks game at the end of the season that I knew they were gonna go far. Nabokov is a heck of a goalie. Aebischer is ok but lacks the experience. My guess is Salo won't start game 4. Aebischer had a reasonable night last night and Damphousse just happened to get a good angle to bounce it off the #. Overall though I'd like to see Salo start, but I still think the Sharks have something "special" going on right now.

The Deacon
04-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Sharks smell blood for sure. They're playing some hella-nice hockey right now.

I disagree with Aebischer though. His "technique" is horrible. He camps the net, he freaks out whenever someone's in the crease with him, he'll shoot the puck away from his teammates, his butterfly is weak, he'll just break down and sometimes and start flopping on the ice hoping he'll stop it, he can't stop a rebound worth a crap, he never knows where the puck is... I'm sure I missed a few points.

The best way to score against Aebischer is sending someone in the camp the crease and just shooting the puck straight at him. I've seen more goals scored this way against him than any, becuase he just can't seem to handle the pressure from the guy in the crease. That's why I like Salo. That game we were down 5-1, he started stabbing guys with his stick that entered the crease. Like he was saying, "Aebischer puts up with this crap, but I'm not him." :D
It's all fine and dandy if he needs experience, just don't go accumulating during the friggin' playoffs!

I swear Tony Granato has something against Salo. It took 5 goals, let me restate that, because I don't think anyone understands the severity of it, 5 GOALS to get Aebischer pulled. :eek:

RoadDawg
04-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Actually I haven't had much time to watch Aebischer's style. I have in several times watched Salo's. In fact I watched him lead the Utah Grizzlies (former Denver Grizzlies) to the IHL cup in 96. He was unbelievable and that was also the year that CuJo went to Las Vegas w/ his dispute w/St. Louis. Those two when faced against each other was a sign of a great series. Plus those two teams didn't like each other and fought regularly. Back to the current day though. Salo although a vet until this round had never played anyone outside of Dallas. Which means he had a first round curse. I think he should start but will he, I doubt it. Granato must feel it's necessary to ride Aebischer. Of course with how the ref's have been calling goaltender interference these playoffs it's kinda hard to camp out lately. My favorite goalies to watch is Belfour and Potvin. Those two are like hornets and anyone bugging them they'll sting ya, usually with the stick. Anyhow. I'll agree the Sharks are on a roll and playing sound hockey at least 50 of the 60 minutes.

-Carnifex-
04-27-2004, 04:37 PM
First, we got rid of Salo; he sucks.

Second, Abby is a great goalie, especially for his amount of experience.

Third, I'm very much disappointed in the Av's performance.

RoadDawg
04-27-2004, 04:53 PM
First, we got rid of Salo; he sucks.

Second, Abby is a great goalie, especially for his amount of experience.

Third, I'm very much disappointed in the Av's performance.

Uhh explain the first? What do you mean "got rid of Salo"? He's just like any other goalie. Put a terrible/sloppy defense in front of him and he'll do terrible/sloppy. Put a great defense and he'll keep you in the game. For example back in the late 90's he played for the Isles. Just stunk to high heaven mainly cause they didn't have any D. He constantly faced 50 shot games but yet he would loose by 1-2 goals. It sounds bad but when a goalie faces twice as many as the other he gets worn down and goal's will slip. Anyhow. When they moved him to Edmonton he took them to the playoffs for two years in a row at least (i think, not positive). Colorado hasn't really been playing that well and Aebischer although, young and inexperienced isn't doing his usual performance. Basically he's in a slump. Give Tommy Salo the start to try and keep Colorado in the series. They brought him in to be the Vet but haven't even put weight on him til Aebischer gives up 5 goals. Anyhow. Colorado hasn't been playing as good as they should be (on paper). Anyhow. I don't see them getting very far til they wake up and actually challenge San Jose in the Neutral zone.

The Deacon
04-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Aebsicher sucks.

See how convincing an argument that is Carnifex? :rolleyes:

But really, he does suck for the reasons listed above, and I have no clue as to why people like him.

RoadDawg
04-27-2004, 11:13 PM
Wow... what a series of games today. In case anyone missed it Tampa and Montreal went to OT where Tampa scored and won to take a 3-0 series lead. Detroit and Calgary combined to score 5 goals in the 11+ minutes. In the end Calgary held of Detroit to take a 2-1 lead in the series. Darn entertaining if ya ask me.

The Deacon
04-28-2004, 12:01 AM
GO CALGARY! WOO! I hope they go all the way since Colorado is screwed over.

coolcatpete
04-28-2004, 08:59 AM
Flyers baby
Pete

Carnage
04-28-2004, 05:08 PM
The cup is the flames ! Theyre killing detroit!

As for Tampa, Brad Richards, I met the guy at a hockey school when he played in the QMJHL. HA HA HA HA.

RoadDawg
04-28-2004, 06:27 PM
I've met several players. Stu Grimson, Mick Vukota, Theo Fleury (brief stint in minor), Ziggy Palffy, Mike Vernon, Tommy Salo, Jon Sim, and Vladimir Orzagh. All played minor league hockey in Salt Lake at one time or another. My cousin worked at the stadium they held the olympic hockey games and met all team Canada, Wayne Gretzky, Team USA, and the Czech team. I almost signed up to drive the zamboni but I moved before the olympics.

Is Colorado going down tonight???

-Carnifex-
04-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Aebsicher sucks.

See how convincing an argument that is Carnifex? :rolleyes:

But really, he does suck for the reasons listed above, and I have no clue as to why people like him.

He doesn't suck.

He proved himself during the series with the Stars.

Not sure what you mean by camping the net; in my mind that's his job..

Freaks out when someone is in the crease with him? I'm not sure what you mean by freaks out; qualify your terms. Any goalie will be worn down if defense is bad, so saying that someone standing in goal will score is a given, that's how the majority of goals are scored.

Never seen him shoot the puck away from teammates..

His butterfly looks fine to me.

Haven't seen him "flop" around on the ice in an attempt to get lucky.

And I'm not sure where you came up with those last two.

That fact is, Salo couldn't cut it, so Abby is in.

The Deacon
04-29-2004, 12:07 AM
How could Salo not cut it? He came in after Abby's 5 goal nightmare, and stoned them the rest of the game.

AND THEY SCORE! Colorado wins! We're still screwed, but there's hope!

RoadDawg
04-29-2004, 11:12 AM
I missed the game. :( Darn Lakers were on EVERY TV at the restaraunt. Guess that's what happens when they are the only local team "worth" watching. :rolleyes:

By the way Aebischer didn't really prove much against the stars. The stars shouldn't have been there at all. Considering I went to a Anaheim vs Dallas game and both teams stunk, Anaheim ended up winning. Where in the previous year I watched Edmonton vs Anaheim then Edm vs L.A and Salo started both games and shut down both teams. Anaheim plowed through the playoffs that year and almost got Jersey. Salo also led team Sweden to a gold medal in the NHL olympics back in 94. Back to back IHL championships in 95 & 96. Went to the NHL and played behind a terrible defense and constantly faced 50 shot games only allowing 2-3 goals, til being traded to Edmonton. Filled in CuJo's spot and took the Oilers to the playoffs two years in a row. Where they were beat by a tough dallas opponent.

I will agree that Aebischer is decent. It's gotta be hard to fill the shoes that Pat Roy left. Then again Roy's last couple season's didn't end very well in the playoffs. From what I've seen Salo do, I know he can keep a team in.

Onto the Toronto/Philly series. Toronto really stuck it to Philly didn't they. I left the room for like 5 minutes and Toronto scored 2 goals. I was like wth?? Philly didn't look as physical as they did in games 1 & 2.

SoccerPaintball3
04-29-2004, 08:12 PM
the red wings may be down in the series 2-1 but the vetrans will turn things around quick. they wont let the flames win this easily. i also think that if the wings get passed the flames they will play the sharks in the final and beat them because they beat them more times in the regular season.

Carnage
04-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Will the 35 Million dollar Flames beat the 75 Million dollar Wings?

On Tsn.ca, Yes Im Canadian. It was like 85% Yes and 15% No.

I voted for "yes" :).

GO FLAMES GO!!

SoccerPaintball3
04-29-2004, 08:24 PM
the wings will never be beat by a team that is that much less. it doesn't matter what people vote. it matters what happens on the ice.
GO WINGS GO!!!

-Carnifex-
04-29-2004, 08:25 PM
How could Salo not cut it? He came in after Abby's 5 goal nightmare, and stoned them the rest of the game.

AND THEY SCORE! Colorado wins! We're still screwed, but there's hope!

Uhhh, Salo played in other games in which he didn't do too well.

Abby did prove himself in the series against the Stars, go watch it again.

StuDawggie
04-29-2004, 09:05 PM
they will play the sharks in the final and beat them because they beat them more times in the regular season.

Don't get your hopes up too high. Just because a team won the regular season series, does not mean they will win in the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken, the Canucks won the regualr season series against the Flames, and lost to them. Right now the regular season doesn't mean jack squat. The playoffs are a totally different level of play, like I said in an earlier post it's going to go down like this....After they (the flames) beat Detroit in 5, it's the Sharks losing in the Western finals in 7, and then beat Calgary over Tampa Bay in the finals in 6. I'm so sure of this if I was in Vegas I would put money on it. Calgary hasn't been this far in 15 years, and last time they were here, they won the cup. I'm an avid hockey fan and an even bigger wings fan at that (yes I live in the detroit area at that), but every team has a limit, and Detroit, is at theirs. It's time for them to cut the old guys, bring in some fresh talent, suck for a few years and then regain the legacy status that they established.

Wolfen
04-30-2004, 12:08 AM
And if you were in Vegas and had put that money down, you'd have lost it already. Game 6 is Monday, might want to watch it, maybe put some more money down to break even :D

As SoccerPaintball3 already said

they wont let the flames win this easily.

So, in closing GO WINGS! :p

RoadDawg
05-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Well the Sharks are choking and the Av's are being saved by their captain. Good to see Colorado is making this a series after all.

Calgary off'ed Detroit rather nicely allowing for game 6 back in Calgary. Which I think Calgary will come away with.

Carnage
05-01-2004, 09:08 PM
IMO Calgary is doing awesome right now, everything is going good for them. Iginla is really stepping up his game this po season.

xXHavokXx
05-01-2004, 09:20 PM
im just anti calgary. GO AVS!!!!

Whichever team wins SJ/COL will go all the way. They are playing some good hockey. And are both west coast.

-Carnifex-
05-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Well the Sharks are choking and the Av's are being saved by their captain. Good to see Colorado is making this a series after all.

Calgary off'ed Detroit rather nicely allowing for game 6 back in Calgary. Which I think Calgary will come away with.

You make it sound like Sakic is the only good player. :mad:

RoadDawg
05-01-2004, 11:23 PM
You make it sound like Sakic is the only good player. :mad:
Not really. Abby is doing his job too. I'm just saying that the last 3 goals have been scored by their captain. He just happens to be at the right spot at the right time. Rest of the team does their part, well besides the scoring part.

xXHavokXx
05-02-2004, 11:00 AM
2 more games guys, put the sharks down so i dont have to hear about them on TV anymore. For that matter go minnesota, murder the kings im tired of them on tv more because i hate basket ball

Carnage
05-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Poor detroit fans :D :D :D :D

Good bye detroit, woot! Go flames go!

RoadDawg
05-04-2004, 11:49 AM
All that is needed now is for San Jose to put Colorado down and the big named teams will all be out. Detroit, Vancouver, New Jersey, Boston, maybe Colorado... man those are some good teams and high payrolls to leave so early.

By the way. What did you guys think of Draper (I think that's who it was) knocking the net off to prevent a goal/scoring chance? I thought it was a smart move. It was done in perfect timing to get the penalty instead of giving up a goal.

Fred
05-04-2004, 12:06 PM
I blame Hull and Hatcher... both were NOT playing well last night...

I'm not impressed at all by the coach either... boot him...

and for crying out loud, get rid of Fischer...

:(

RoadDawg
05-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Hatcher did make a presence in the game physically. Especially with that nasty elbow he gave out. I'm sure the Red Wings will be changing something around. This is 2 years in a row w/ a early exit with such an all star team.

Fred
05-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Hatcher had way too much ice time yesterday... it was obvious in the first few minutes of OT... he was frickin tired.

Losing Yzerman didn't help either... but what ya gonna do?

I don't think the coach really did much coaching, he didn't drive the players very much, that's pretty obvious. Not an easy job, with so many vetrans, but if you're unable to do it, bow out and let someone who can step in.

ShooterJM
05-04-2004, 12:24 PM
By the way. What did you guys think of Draper (I think that's who it was) knocking the net off to prevent a goal/scoring chance? I thought it was a smart move. It was done in perfect timing to get the penalty instead of giving up a goal.

Yeah it was a smart move, but I think the rule needs to be changed. If it's intentionally knocked off the moorings either the goal counts or it's a delay of game penalty AND a penalty shot.

RoadDawg
05-04-2004, 12:30 PM
I'd agree with that. He did get the penalty but what it was called I'm not sure. It should have been a penalty shot as it was WAY too obvious it was intensional and like Pang & Levvy said "it's controversial". It could go several ways but since the whistle was blown before the puck had gotten close to in, is why it resulted in just a penalty. One of the big NHL guys even backed the call. Lots of rules should change. I still think the instigator penalty should go. It's a good deterent to cheap shots.

RoadDawg
05-04-2004, 11:35 PM
Well San Jose and Philadelphia both managed to close their series tonight. So now we are set for Round #3. San Jose vs Calgary.... Tampa Bay vs Philadelphia. Both sets of games were rather entertaining. SJ was my favorite as I had been hoping SJ would close the series as quick as possible. Nabokov did fantastic in net and well Colorado didn't do much as far as defense in front of Aebischer. Philly and Toronto was exciting. Glad to see J.R wake up when it counted most. Domi sure made it interesting with less then 2 min left in regulation. Kinda wish he would of buried it to send it into 7 games but OT is always good to watch.

StuDawggie
05-05-2004, 08:37 PM
This is a little off the subject, but is anyone else kinda ticked that for the past 2 years, one of the NHL's best rivalries (sp?) hasn't matched up? It just set in today that Detroit and Colorado haven't seen each other in the playoffs in 2 years. I'm actually upset about this. That is one of the best match ups in the "quest for the cup".
Now with that out of the way everyone and their mother knows about Yzerman and his eye thing. Yeah I feel bad for him and think that it's a sucky way to have to retire, but you know who I'm really feeling sorry for, is Schneider. He was the one that shot that puck that got deflected and ended a career. Could you imagine going down in history as the person who ended a 19 season career for one of the best players the Wings ever had, and destroying the heart and soul of an entire team? It must suck to be him. Oh well, I'm just rambling on now.

But back to the subject at hand....GO FLAMES!!!!!

RoadDawg
05-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Honestly I was happy to see those two teams go quick. Opens up the sport. Those two are like the Yankee's of hockey. Always in the playoffs and pretty much always a winner. The last 2 years have been bitter sweet for me. I like seeing new teams with unknown talent make a wave in the playoffs. Hense that is why I was hoping San Jose/Calgary would bump the other. I honestly thought that Calgary wouldn't do what they did. Although San Jose and Calgary aren't exactly friends either. They've had a rivalry since the Theo days back in Calgary. In fact when San Jose hosted the All Star game a few years back they boo'ed Theo Fleury when he was announced. I know Fleury is no longer on the Flames but rivalries are hard to kill. Teams I miss watching is the Wings vs Toronto (Probert vs Clark) those teams in the regular season's used to always play hard. I still wonder how the series would of been if Colorado had played Vancouver. Anyhow. I'm rambling now.

In the end. Sharks and Tampa Bay WILL be in the finals. Two teams going for their first in team history. Can't beat that.

The Deacon
05-05-2004, 10:13 PM
If Colorado played Vancover, the entire state of Colorado would've protested the NHL. At least, I would've... :)

I wanted some Detroit v Colorado action too, I love that match up. But as long as Calgary takes it, that's cool. They have a lot of former Avalanche guys (some of which I have no idea why they got rid of them). Go Flames!

RoadDawg
05-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Well I missed both game 1's. Anything controversial/cool/exciting happen outside of the final scores?

Thordic
05-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Well I missed both game 1's. Anything controversial/cool/exciting happen outside of the final scores?

Yeah, a team from freaking california and a team from freaking florida are in the conference finals.

Since when is hockey a warm-weather sport?

This is a sign of the apocalypse (ie, lockout next season! :( )

RoadDawg
05-10-2004, 11:38 PM
Well this is the 2nd year in a row that a California team has made it this far in the playoffs.

Anyone see the Flyers game today? I say that cause well it was basically all Flyers til the end. Then after the last 10 min of fighting/power plays TB scored twice. Definatly gonna have more interests in both these series. Can't wait for tomorrow's Cal vs SJ game.

MadChild
05-11-2004, 11:35 AM
i dont even know whos in the playoffs but hockey is awesome

xXHavokXx
05-11-2004, 02:54 PM
Go SJ or TB! If the Avs cant have it I want a wamer place to. I hate cold.

DementedChild
05-11-2004, 02:56 PM
TB got STOMPED! last night! gooooo Flyers!

RoadDawg
05-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Well San Jose proved they could do something once again and beat Calgary 3-0... yay. Tampa also showed Philadelphia that even after a beating they'll still play hard and quick.

RoadDawg
05-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Well Calgary is pulling a Ducks. They are on to the finals.

-Carnifex-
05-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Av's will take it!

RoadDawg
05-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Av's will take it!
Poor, poor av's fan... still dilusional I see. :)

-Carnifex-
05-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Huh?! :rolleyes: :cool: :D :eek:

Head knight of Ni
05-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Tampaba... ...y. :d

Cheeseball24
05-20-2004, 02:41 PM
tampa bay vs calgray in the finals, calgary wins it in 6

logamus
05-20-2004, 06:43 PM
well we avoided angering the hockey gods last night. if the finals had been san jose vs tampa the hockey gods would have harshly punished us all. i sure do like calgary, im not sure if they have what it takes to beat tampa but it should be a damn fun series to watch.

btw, i know tampa has not wrapped things up as of this post but i believe they will. that and i hate philly with such whitehot passion i never want them to win.

RoadDawg
05-22-2004, 11:59 PM
Well the stage is set. Tampa Bay vs Calgary for Lord Stanley's prize. I see Tampa winning in 6. Calgary is good and talented but I have a feeling that Tampa has that "first cup" thirst.

Trick
05-23-2004, 01:12 PM
I think Calgary's "We don't want to suck anymore" thirst is greater... :D

Go Flames!

-Carnifex-
05-23-2004, 09:39 PM
I think the Av's veteran thirst is the greatest! Av's to win it!

Go Av's!

logamus
05-24-2004, 12:11 AM
my dad always said cheer with your heart and bet with your head. with that in mind i will be cheering my arse off for the flames and putting my money on the bolts. the one 'advantage' that calgary has is that some of their travels have made them play in different time zones where tampa has played every game in the east time zone. tampa has prolly logged more frequent flyer miles, but the internal clock still reads the same. i dont think that will have much of an impact as these are all professionals, but its small things that really throw goalies off their game. time zones might be the small thing that throws khabibulin off.

i think the bolts win it on home ice.

RoadDawg
05-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Well it's a nice physical series so far. Both teams show they have what it takes.

Eatem Alive
05-29-2004, 01:02 AM
since toronto is out, i hope the series goes 7 games to make the season last as long as possible. i hope the bolts win, i like their roster. to see andreychuk win a cup would almost be as good to watch as when bourque won his with colorado.

RoadDawg
06-02-2004, 12:16 AM
Well I've missed the last two games. Sounds like this series has gotten physical and more hockey like. Hope Tampa pulls it out cause no canadian team deserves that cup. :p :D

xXHavokXx
06-02-2004, 01:29 AM
since toronto is out, i hope the series goes 7 games to make the season last as long as possible. i hope the bolts win, i like their roster. to see andreychuk win a cup would almost be as good to watch as when bourque won his with colorado.

Watching Borque win almost made me cry to see his face. I want Andrechuk to win, Iginla to go to colorado and the Avs to take the cup next year. Ohh and the Kings to do good.

Eatem Alive
06-02-2004, 01:35 AM
Watching Borque win almost made me cry to see his face.
i know, i know. is it so wrong for a man to only show emotion toward historical sports events? i think not.

RoadDawg
06-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Well... all I'm hoping for as far as next season is a on time start and not a lock out. Oh and if the Kings would stay healthy and do great next season that would be a bonus.

RoadDawg
06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Game 7 here we come. All in all that was a good game. Just curious on what others think of the "goal" that wasn't looked at. It's hard to tell from the angle but I think it wasn't in. Either way Game 7 Monday for the Cup. Go Tampa.

xXHavokXx
06-06-2004, 03:43 AM
TAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAA

Let's go bolts, lets go.

It wasn't in. I think the angle just made it look that way but i think khabi's pad was far enough ahead tostop it. Plus, I think he kicked it.

Eatem Alive
06-06-2004, 10:22 AM
nothing better that game 7 of the stanley cup finals!

logamus
06-07-2004, 05:29 PM
GO FLAMES!!!! :mad: :clap: :mad:

xXHavokXx
06-07-2004, 06:20 PM
If calagary wins I bet alot of their best players are going to get pulled to US teams if a salary cap is not installed.

RoadDawg
06-07-2004, 10:14 PM
TAMPA HAS WON THE STANLEY CUP 2-1!!!! Way to go BOLTS :cheers: :dance:

RoadDawg
06-08-2004, 07:02 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040608/capt.xpch11706080312.stanley_cup_xpch117.jpg