PDA

View Full Version : Smart Parts

viperx1_1000
04-01-2004, 09:42 PM
So, i have a research paper comming up and since i'm such a paintball geek i'm doing it on smart parts decision to patent all elec. GripFrames. I know there has been some talk, probably more than actual facts. If you could give me a link or some real information that would be great. Also, if i could here both sides of the story that would make it more useful.
Some questions:

What are they trying to do, or have done.
How does this effect other companies.
What will be the change in the market.
What will be the outcome in the long run (17yrs.) patents.

Do you agree/ disagree with this action, and why.
Thanks for all your help, if this is in the wrong forum please move it and don't flame me for bringing this up again i just want to get real facts, some proof would also be great.

riooso
04-01-2004, 10:25 PM
You might try and consider what SP's actions will do to innovation in the industry. This action is like stopping industry just before the computer age.

R

mikebridge
04-01-2004, 10:26 PM
where'd i put that useful link....

yeahthatsme
04-02-2004, 12:13 AM
what are they trying to do-
they are basically pressuring/suing companies to pay royalties on their electronic guns. last i heard they have put one company out of production(they did give them a choice, however, said company decided to stop production instead of pay royalties). they are not trying to monopolize the industry or halt innovation as is the popular belief. what companies do in reaction to this is their decision.

how this effects other companies:
for some companies(ICD) it has caused a SLIGHT rise in prices to cover royalty fee's. some companies(AKA) have decided to stop production of e-guns instead of paying the royalties. and some companies(AGD) have decided to hold off on designing a new e-gun until this issue is resolved.

what will be the change on the market:
some guns will no longer be available new(AKA guns) and some guns are higher priced(ICD guns). the big companies(dye and national paintball supply) have already signed production deals with smart parts so they are out of harms way. AGD has decided to hold off designing a gun to replace the out of date emag design for a year or so to see how the issue pans out.

what is the outcome in the long run:
a few guns will go off the market, some prices will go up slightly, and smart parts will get richer. how this affects the paintball market is mainly up to the companies who get hit, whether or not they pay royalties or stop production. some companies have not backed down even though they have been hit with royalties(ICD is released a new e-gun). i honestly dont see a big problem arising from this accept for some raised prices and guns leaving the market because the companies refuse to bow down to smart parts(cant blame them).

while i dont exactly like the morals behind the move, it is a very smart move business wise. as long as there is no MAJOR affect on the industry(huge price raises, tons of guns leaving the market) then i guess i'm impartial to it.

hope that helps.

painTech
04-02-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by viperx1_1000
So, i have a research paper comming up and since i'm such a paintball geek i'm doing it on smart parts decision to patent all elec. GripFrames. I know there has been some talk, probably more than actual facts. If you could give me a link or some real information that would be great. Also, if i could here both sides of the story that would make it more useful.
Some questions:

What are they trying to do, or have done.
How does this effect other companies.
What will be the change in the market.
What will be the outcome in the long run (17yrs.) patents.

Do you agree/ disagree with this action, and why.
Thanks for all your help, if this is in the wrong forum please move it and don't flame me for bringing this up again i just want to get real facts, some proof would also be great.

1 They are trying to get money from smaller companies that can't stick up for themselves using a patent on SOMEBODY ELSES technology.

2 It raises costs of markers. It limits marker choices.

3 There will be less manufacters. AGD stopped making x-mags and e-mags for this reason

4 In the long run sp isgonna get burninated by an angry mob or sued by me after i pass my bar :)

5 I disagree, I understand how sp's is going down the poophole but they need not feed off smaller companies to get the money. tehy are trying to set precedents so that when they go against larger companies they have well, precedents to refer too. They can be like hey, we got ourway here, why not thisplace too. The smaller companies should give in unless they can win. The larger companies, like wdp,wgp,kingman, and brass eagle will owninate them in court.

Lohman446
04-02-2004, 06:48 AM
I am only going to answer this in an offhand way

What they have managed to do is make paintball into a business solely. Until this point most manufacturers were improving a product based on the individual manufacturers feel of the game. That is most of the manufacturers supported the game as much as their own business. Companies made innovations, and shared them with others (thinking specifically the pin valve by Tippman and constant air by AGD) that had a profound impact on the sport. I do not expect to see this happen further, the manufacturers now need to look at paintball from a business point first, and to benefit the sport second. Yes these companies made money before, but not in the atmosphere where aslong as it was a good business move it was a good idea
Innovation in the future will be slowed by this trend. Small companies that bring rich innovation to the industry (think Tribal, ICD, or SP when a start-up) will no longer have the opportunity to compete in an industry where patents are so powerful. New ideas from existing companies will be reconsidered in regards to expanding patents and time to market will be slowed by the need to patent every new idea before introducing it.
In the end, was what SP did a good business move? I question it, it seems to me that they have alienated companies that have in the past worked with them for mutual benefit. Yes, they have made more money from it, and will likely have a larger market share. However, they have also annoyed a select group of consumers that may hurt their market share. I leave this for the future to decide. They have injured the future of the sport. Innovation, and not just in electronics, will be viewed in this new litagous atmosphere and looked at through a different perspective.

InexactMelissa
04-02-2004, 06:59 AM
Here (http://www.icedillusions.com/Anti-SP.html) is a page with links to all kinds of information, including the patents in question, court documents, and prior art.

viperx1_1000
04-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Wow, thanks you guys. Anyone else?