PDA

View Full Version : Internet Communities are weird....... Markers donated, and now this!

GTakacs
04-02-2004, 12:07 PM
I saw a post about how one fellow AO-er is donating a marker to another AO-er just out of the goodness of his heart. This I found pretty impressive. ( http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132089 ) Here is my story:

Well I didn't donate a marker to anyone, but just to show how trusting (see: crazy!) the internet community is:

I am from Hungary originally so I started visiting a Hungarian paintball message board about 2 weeks ago. I posted a couple of posts (mostly heated arguments about SP, they're clueless in Hungary about what is really going on, and they love their Impulses) and answers to some questions, and all of a sudden people started asking me if I could send them some stuff from the US that they either can't get in Hungary or is way too expensive.

Well we started chatting on MSN, and after about 30 minutes they (3 guys) told me their wishlist:
- Shocker 2003 Ultimate Edition
- Crossfire 88/45 tank
- Worr Blade E-blade
- Dye Invision mask
- Dye tank cover
- Shocker grease
- Halo-B with RIP drive and Z-code

I told them sure I can order all that, but I need the money up front. So they sent me over $2k via Western Union by the next day, without even calling me or anything. All they knew was my name and address. That was all. Nothing more.

Needless to say I already ordered them the stuff and it will save them over $1k by the time they get the package.

But seeing that there are people this trusting that can send $2k overseas in a heartbeat, I am surprised that there are only as many people getting screwed over as there are and not more.

What do you all think of this?

deathstalker
04-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by GTakacs
What do you all think of this?
Methinks I'm going to start frequenting foreign paintball forums! ;)

Good for you, man. I hope some karma makes its way to you in short order.

Mindflux
04-02-2004, 12:13 PM
You freakin weirdo :p

No, Greg good job. I'm sure they'll be pleased someone hoest still exists in this world.

Just don't make a habit of it, eventually you'll just get used.

cphilip
04-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Have you checked the import regulations?

Has the check cleared and all?

Be carefull.

Mindflux
04-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Have you checked the import regulations?

Has the check cleared and all?

Be carefull.

It was a western union.

Who cares about import regulations.

cphilip
04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Um... go check up on Western Union. Its a common exchange method of many a scammer lately. And what is it you know about the method that you would answer the question for him?

You could end up in a mess. Here and there. Stuck in customs. You better check the customs declarations of your shipper to Hungary.

SlartyBartFast
04-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
Um... go check up on Western Union. Its a common exchange method of many a scammer lately.

http://www.westernunioncanada.ca/info/faqSecurity.asp

Seems it's more money SENDER beware when using Western Union. In otherwords, once you receive money you're off the hook.

But I agree the customs issues may be worrying. But, once again it seems that the people hoping to receive the merchandise have more to lose ...

GTakacs
04-02-2004, 01:26 PM
cphilip,

Western Union gave me cash, it's the sender that has money to lose and that is what scammers use. It's the recepient of the money who's the scammer, never the sender.

And as far as customs go, I have sent a robomower to Germany before, and I have sent a $600 model R/C helicopter to Hungary, so it's all good. If it gets caught in customs, then again, it's the recepient's problem, not mine.

Oh, and just so everyone knows I have been a trusting idiot before too. I bought a pair of xenon HID headlights fom Germany once for $1000 from a guy. At least I have used my credit card via PayPal to pay for it just in case. I have gotten the headlights intact and in mint condition, so it has worked out for me just fine. He was the one who needed the robomower a year later, and he also sent me a watch that I paid for. So we're "friends" now and trust one another. But still I had jitters for a month while the headlights were in transit.

Tunaman
04-02-2004, 05:00 PM
DON'T Ever send money via Western Union! That is the easiest way to get beat. I don't believe that story one bit. I wanna see names and email addresses of the foolish person or persons that sent 2 grand to a foreign country on a verbal agreement and didnt even know each other. Not even an IDIOT does that.
On another note, there ARE people around here that have and will donate a mag here and there...ME specifically. I get a real blast out of it. Ask Footemps. He was 13 at the time...and his parents had to sign off on it. Very old school parents too. But it HAPPENED BIGTIME for that kid. I still feel so good about it I might just donate another one!
:confused: :o :cool:

Edit!!! I thought it was OUR guys that sent 2 grand over THERE! My mistake. Well good thing they got you Greg. Your proven integrity has given you a very respected name on AO. True Americans Unite! Your word is EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

GTakacs
04-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Tunaman,

As bizarre as it sounds, It IS a true story! I just sent you proof via PM. I hope that will prove my point.

I don't disagree with you one bit that they are foolish and idiots, they just lucked out.

I hope you come back and back my story up, I feel I've been called a liar!

Cryer
04-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Tunaman
...I still feel so good about it I might just donate another one!
:confused: :o :cool:

Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! I'm in need!:p I'll PM you with the specs of what I want;)

FallNAngel
04-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Or pick me, I've never owned a mag :D :p

Lethargic
04-02-2004, 08:18 PM
or pick me cause I'm needy... yeah....:D

WenULiVeUdiE
04-02-2004, 09:44 PM
If you pick me you dont have to pay for shipping, Im in central Jersey. I doubt you would send me one even though I need a new gun real bad. Tunaman, Id liked to say thanks for others that are not on here. Ive talked to a couple people who have guns from you, and they love them. So this is a thank you from them.

cphilip
04-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by GTakacs
cphilip,

Western Union gave me cash, it's the sender that has money to lose and that is what scammers use. It's the recepient of the money who's the scammer, never the sender.

And as far as customs go, I have sent a robomower to Germany before, and I have sent a $600 model R/C helicopter to Hungary, so it's all good. If it gets caught in customs, then again, it's the recepient's problem, not mine.

Oh, and just so everyone knows I have been a trusting idiot before too. I bought a pair of xenon HID headlights fom Germany once for $1000 from a guy. At least I have used my credit card via PayPal to pay for it just in case. I have gotten the headlights intact and in mint condition, so it has worked out for me just fine. He was the one who needed the robomower a year later, and he also sent me a watch that I paid for. So we're "friends" now and trust one another. But still I had jitters for a month while the headlights were in transit.

Good to know G. I was just worried about you was all. Dont want one of our boys to get hurt. Glad you got cash and hope the export goes well for you and them. Keep us up to date.

JT2002
04-05-2004, 10:56 PM
tuna what happened to footemps that he realyl hit it off? lol cool story, if only teh whole world was trustworthy... :rolleyes: :D

Fixion
04-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Dude! I'm Hungarian too (no joke)! Can you give me a link to the forum?

I can still read and write Hungarian, although a bit slowly. But hey, thats pretty good for leaving Hungary at 6 years old :p. By the way, I'm 18 now.

Reaver
04-06-2004, 09:32 AM
greg should have talked to me man i got half that stuff for sale.

Fixion
04-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Reaver
greg should have talked to me man i got half that stuff for sale.

You have an eblade for sale?