PDA

View Full Version : Hopper Idea

ramennoodles
04-02-2004, 08:31 PM
You know how people are complaining about their hopper feednecks and hoppers busting, well i had some time(three hour detention for truancy) and decided that someone should come out with a hopper made of the same material as nalgene bottles, or is there already a hopper made of that?

jesseyo13
04-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Hey isac,
Are you gona be at 66 paintball this weakend?
Jesse

Methylphenidate
04-02-2004, 08:43 PM
what are nalgene bottles??

OysterBoy
04-02-2004, 08:44 PM
nearly indestructible bottles
and are great for us germaphobes cause you can put them thorugh the dishwasher at highest heat ;)

-=Squid=-
04-02-2004, 08:59 PM
Nalgene bottles:

http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/

However, I havent ever fealt or seen this material. Can it be found at a place like wal mart? If so, Ill go have a look, if not, where can it be found?

68magOwner
04-02-2004, 09:24 PM
alot of ppl at school have bottles made of those, its really thin(thinner than normal hoppers) and lightweight, also, its supposed to never break, could be a good idea

angelbeast24
04-02-2004, 09:48 PM
ramen looks like a good idea id gladly pay for halo shells made out of this stuff

NGp8ball
04-02-2004, 10:02 PM
i think nalgene bottles are made of polcarbonate (lexan)which is why there so indestructible. and i think it also has to do with there shape. i could be wrong tho:o

adam shannon
04-02-2004, 10:46 PM
Made with Polycarbonate
Extremely durable
Resistant to staining
Resistant to retaining odors
Recommended for "extreme" adventures
Dishwasher Safe (top rack only)
Withstands temperatures from -135ºC (-211ºF) to 135ºC (275ºF)

ghed
04-02-2004, 11:42 PM
I was starting to wonder why anyone hasnt made aftermarket hopper shells. Especially for Eggs or Revs...My pre-BE revvy shell is starting to look awful and after seeing my friends BE revvy lid break off while he was reloading I dont dare buy a new one. So I would love a Nalgena-shell, I hope someone on AO starts making these.

OysterBoy
04-02-2004, 11:46 PM
Hell, suggest it to them. They seem to price VERY well, so who knows..

ramennoodles
04-02-2004, 11:50 PM
the only thing i could of why no one has done it is expense but i dunno.

RoboBeaver
04-02-2004, 11:52 PM
speak of the devil, tonight me and my friends were board, so we all bough one of the smaller nalgene bottles, and put it to the test!!

it stood up to the wait of the front right tire of a rodeo running over it. it also survived being thrown agaisnt a brick wall about 30 times. we also filled this nalgene bottle full of water and dropped it of a 20 or so foot wall, nothing happened, it bounced!

these things are amazing, i once saw a video somewhere that showd a guy taking a 12 guage, and shooting the bottle, the bottle dented, and the plastic cap broke.
i would definatley buy a hopper made of it

steveo356
04-02-2004, 11:56 PM
sounds like a wonder plastic but you can count on it that it wont come stock because they make money off all them extra shells we gotta buy

AFTER MARKET FOR LYFE
AGD is an ecpetion

space_weazel_45
04-03-2004, 12:03 AM
as i understand it lexan is used to make bulet proof glass
FYI

Spartan X
04-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by steveo356
sounds like a wonder plastic but you can count on it that it wont come stock because they make money off all them extra shells we gotta buy

AFTER MARKET FOR LYFE
AGD is an ecpetion

He got it right. the reason they do not switch over is for 2 reasons:

1. the currect plastic is cheaper, hence lower price and more profits.

2. when you brake shell you have to buy new ones... more profit for them.....money money money- thats why

Halliday
04-03-2004, 12:48 AM
I bought my nalgene bottle from Target. I love it. Sometimes I even remember to wash it. I usually fill it with water the night before I go to the field. The water freezes overnight, thaws and provides me with cool water all day :)

SpecialBlend2786
04-03-2004, 12:49 AM
haha yeah, i have a few of those too! Never even thught about that before...

GoatBoy
04-03-2004, 01:50 AM
This totally reminds me of one of those joke emails that gets sent around.

Subject: HIGH TECH WRITING INSTRUMENT

During the heat of the space race in the 1960's, the U.S.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) decided
it needed a ball point pen to write in the zero gravity
confines of its space capsules. After considerable research
and development, the Astronaut Pen was developed at a cost
of $1 million U.S. The pen worked and also enjoyed some modest
success as a novelty item back here on earth.

The Soviet Union, faced with the same problem, used a
pencil.

Most of the time, you don't grab things by the neck. Like, I dunno... pets. Imagine grabbing a pet by the neck and trying to run around with it. That's kind of what we do with our hoppers. The industry, in its infinite wisdom, has come up with the amazing clamping neck to help alleviate some of the problems. That's right, crush little Fluffy's neck in your vise-like death grip while you run around.

I think that this whole "feed neck used for structural integrity thing" is a design holdover from the days of stick feeds.

From what I've been told, part of the reason why Halo's are expensive is because they use "good plastic" for their shells/feednecks. And guess what? They still break.

Why not make a hopper that is held on securely by a STRONG point on it's body? All hoppers nowadays have a strong base that would probably be perfectly happy if clamped to the body of a gun. Imagine a hopper that, on the bottom of its base, has just a minor modification... like... a site rail clamp.

No more broken feed necks, no more hopper twisting, no need for "clamping necks."

Most people I mention this to give me this weird response. Except for one person, and I think he told me that he actually modified his hopper to do this after I told him the idea... Need to get a pic from him sometime.

In summary, we don't need more durable super-pets. We just need to stop grabbing them by their necks.

Now, this Nalgene bottle thing on the other hand... I've never heard of 'em, but I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow, it does sound very interesting...

Raven4000SX
04-03-2004, 02:14 AM
Nalgene bottles are the most well known camping/outdoors bottles. Known to be lightweight and nearly indestructable. My co-workers and I used to stand on them to demonstrate to the customers how tough they really are. One guy weighs about 200 pounds and the bottle didn't cave in at all. It would be a great idea to make hoppers out of Lexan.

GoatBoy
04-04-2004, 10:34 PM
I picked up one of these Nalgene bottles over the weekend just because I was curious... yeah, this plastic is pretty darn strong.

The first time I saw one, though, I couldn't help but laugh... The bottle's very, very strong... but, uh... what's the lid made out of? It's not much good if the lid breaks!

And... from what I'm hearing, the Halo bodies are made out of lexan.

personman
04-04-2004, 10:41 PM
The lid on the nalgene bottles are actually pretty strong. The only thing I have ever seen break on a nalgene bottle is the little part that loops around and connects the lid to the bottle, and those are replacable.
Anyway, its funny that you mentioned nalgene bottles because just this morning my friend spent like 5 mins trying to break one, and he couldnt do it. :p

Raven4000SX
04-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Goatboy,

do you know for sure that Halos are made of Lexan? Maybe you could reserch that for us.

Polish
04-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Spartan X

2. when you brake shell you have to buy new ones... more profit for them.....money money money- thats why

Kinda like tires for cars.. they can create tires that will never pop or wear down.. but then the market would die..

Fixion
04-08-2004, 03:18 PM
One day walking home from school, my friend and I decide to try and distroy his bottle. We threw it againts the ground as hard as we could repeatedly (I'm not a weak guy), nothing. We threw it down the street as far as we could, nothing. Threw it againts a stone wall repeatedly, nothing. It just got a little scratched by the time I got home. Thats it. Laxan is awsome stuff

mikebridge
04-08-2004, 04:36 PM
well, while we're desiging this 'super hopper' in that wonderful world of theory, how about not having the shell split down the middle, but have the upper part be all one piece, then the lid, then the bottom screws into the upper part. that way you could mix n match between capacity, 140/200/240 (top half) and feed method (bottom half), gravity feed/neck, agitate feed/neck, force feed/neck, and then gravity/rail clamp, agitate/rail clamp, and force feed/rail clamp bottoms. voila, 18 different configurations, from 9 parts... hell, depending on how you modularize the bottom, might even be able to break it down to 3 top, 3 bottom, 2 feed, and still have 18 configs, from 8 parts.

elpimpo
04-08-2004, 05:04 PM
damn nalgene bottles. i took one of the 16 ouncers and tried to blow it up with a dry ice bomb. well after i screwed on the lid it started leaking. i was pissed. so i ran up to it and tried to take off the lid so i could try it again (yeah i know not to smart). i was trwisting it of and my buddy joel was like hey man maybe you shouldnt BOOM it flew off and jacked me right in the thigh. another inch to left left and i would have been in the hospital getting my junk reatached. it was crazy. the funny thing is, after all that was done, the bottel didnt hardly even have a scratch

elpimpo
04-08-2004, 05:15 PM
if you really want to break one, fill it 3/4 of the way up with water, freeze it and then throw it against a wall

StickFigurSicide
04-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Nalgenes aren't indestructable, but they are pretty damn close. Last weekend I was climing/rapelling with my friends at some state park in pennsylvania near the deleware river (stockdone/frenchtown area). We were rappeling down a 150' overhang face, and my friend called up to me asking for his nalgene (figuring Id lower it down to him or bring it down with me). Anyway, I scremed "NALGENE DOWN" and tossed it over the side. The thing was full, and traveling pretty damn fast when it hit that bolder, and it barely scratched.

Amazing :eek: :D

TraXeR
04-08-2004, 05:59 PM
This sounds like a good idea, but theres a flaw. If you bought the shell, it'd be years, many years before you'd need a new one. And that's BAD news for the company, cause they wouldnt make nearly as much money.

On another note, if you WANT to break the bottle, just heat up the bottle until it melts, or fill it up the the BRIM with water, then put on the lid, and freeze it. If the expansion of the water to ice doesn't split it, use the already frozen bottle, and use a sledge hammer on it... Voila. And if that doesn't work, just use a damn chainsaw.

Hexis
04-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by GoatBoy
[B]This totally reminds me of one of those joke emails that gets sent around.

During the heat of the space race in the 1960's, the U.S.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) decided
it needed a ball point pen to write in the zero gravity
confines of its space capsules.

That's not a joke, it's a real deal. They came up with a solid ink and pressurized the ink cartridge. I have one, it rocks.

www.spacepen.com

GoatBoy
04-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Raven4000SX
Goatboy,

do you know for sure that Halos are made of Lexan? Maybe you could reserch that for us.

Nope, just what I've been told. I sent email to OGI asking them; I'll let you know what their response is.

Hexis: what, so you can write while upside down from the bottom of your bunker? :p Just kidding. I know of the pen, I just don't know about the validity of the email in general, particularly with the pencil thing.

mikebridge
04-08-2004, 09:16 PM
had to design a vacuum based sharpener i'd assume, so they didn't pollute the airsystem...

Hexis
04-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by GoatBoy

I know of the pen, I just don't know about the validity of the email in general, particularly with the pencil thing.

Spam is bad in any case. It's just a nice pen. It writes better than any other ball point type pen. I have not tried using it on the paintball field. I suspect it would write well. :)