PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Bolt Spring

Mr. Peanut
04-04-2004, 05:15 PM
While trying to install my level 10 bolt, I realized that the middle spring is to strong, and the bolt cycles much slower than I can pull the trigger, and with the short bolt, it still hits hard enough to break a paintball. So I tried cutting the long bolt to a length in between. I had a really hard time doing this, and I got it to eventually break off at the right spot by bending it back and forth with pliers, but the spring got a little messed up in the process, and now fits over the bolt tightly so that it cannot slide, and the gun will not fire. Despite all my efforts to bend it back, I cannot fix it, so I'm being forced to buy a new spring. What is a good way to cut it so that I won't have the same thing happen?

Or better yet, is there a site where I can buy a custom spring that's already the right length?

Bad_Dog
04-04-2004, 06:07 PM
try a wire clippers? dremel cutoff disks? O/A torch? Plasma cutter?:)

trains are bad
04-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Dremel cutoff wheel. If you don't have a dremel you need one.

Mr. Peanut
04-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Wire cutter won't work. I tried, the metal is surprisingly strong. The wire cutter broke before even making a notch in it. I new someone would say to Dremel it, and of coarse I don't have a Dremel, and I don't feel like buying one to cut a damn spring. Maybe one of my friends has one, I'll have to ask them all.

Maybe I could use a drill with the right drill attachment. That’s basically the same as a Dremel, right?

the electrician
04-04-2004, 07:20 PM
the reason they call them "wire cutters" is because that's what they are for. cutting wire, like copper and aluminum wire, nonferrous metals. I have a pair layin' around here with a notch in them too. ;) they don't like steel or especially hardened steel.

the best thing really is a dremel with a cut-off wheel.

a hack saw blade can be used in a pinch, but it's not much fun.

Bad_Dog
04-04-2004, 08:48 PM
I have a pair layin' around here with a notch in them too.

LMFAO! all mine have notches in them...:p I can remember when I was a kid and I'd cut paperclips with my moms fabric scissors... they'd also be all noched up:D

Matches
04-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Like the guys said use a dremel ... if you dont have one then use a small needle file to notch both sides of the spring and then use a pair of pliers to bend & snap the steel where it has been notched. (i did mine this way before i got my Dremel and it worked fine)

BlackVCG
04-04-2004, 09:10 PM
If your gun doesn't work well with the middle length spring, then you need to increase the o-ring carrier size. It's probably too tight, so it's chuffing under rapid fire.

The most ideal fit is where you can hold the bolt at the top of the PT and drop it and under its own weight, it will come down and hit the bumper

Mr. Peanut
04-04-2004, 09:12 PM
One size larger and it leaks out the barrel. Well, I was able to get it bent back to the right shape after spending a lot of time. It works great now.