PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Shooting with a slight curve

gdog441
04-05-2004, 06:18 AM
I have a classic mag with an older all american barrel (or at least I think it is an AA, no indication of smart parts on it). Anyways, every ball that I shoot has a small taper to the right. If your shooting from about 30-50 feet away, they taper probably around a foot to the right from where you aim. This is farely consistent. I haven't tried a new barrel yet, because I don't know anybody who has one, but do you think its the barrel causing this curve?

Dayspring
04-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Bad/dimpled paint

Improperly bore sized paint

mikebridge
04-05-2004, 05:37 PM
turn the marker 90 degrees to the left, you now have a 'backspin' system that others pay hundreds of $'s for. =)

Punisher11
04-05-2004, 08:33 PM
its possible that the threading is off. I had a friend with an older dye boomstick with the same problem.

RTC_LoKi
04-05-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by mikebridge
turn the marker 90 degrees to the left, you now have a 'backspin' system that others pay hundreds of $'s for. =)

LoL

Scircal
04-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Had pretty much the same problem myself, with pretty much every barrel I used (boomstick, armson, bigshot, AA, and stock). It appeared with both my classic valve and my X-valve. When I went to the ULE body, the problem went away. Figured it might have something to do with the nubbin allignment on twist-lock barrels, but could never quite convince myself of it.

Remake101
04-07-2004, 11:09 AM
Either you have a bad ball detent, which sticks and cause the ball to curve, the threading is off, or you have a really deep scratch in the barrel that makes it curve.

And to what dayspring said, if he had bad or dimpled paint it would not be consistent, and if the bore size was wrong, then the paint would either burst for being to big or wobble from being to small.

My best guess is the ball detent if you have one, since it IS an older mag. It is highly unlikly that you have a scratch in your barrel that is just right so that it doesnt pop the paint and it makes that much of a difference consistently. Try it with another barrel, if it works fine then you probably have a scratch in the barrel. otherwise you might want to get a new body.

I would suggest the ULE body, or one of the deadly wind bodys. The deadly winds are very expensive.

Plazmic
04-07-2004, 11:34 AM
You don't have to get a new body just to replace the ball detent. AGD sells them in the store. You can just press out your old one and put the new one in.

Target Practice
04-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Although...it could be a good excuse to go with a Deadlywind/ULE setup. :D

Plazmic
04-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Ah, so very true. :) If I had the extra cash I'd sure go get me a ULE.

Remake101
04-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Plazmic, I know you dont have to replace the body to replace the ball detent. He probably wouldn't even need a new detent if thats the problem, just a quick clean and some oil. He would have to get a new body if the threads are messed up....

Plazmic
04-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Oh yeah, the threading thing. That threw me. There are no threads on either a classic mag body or the older All American barrel. I wasn't sure what you meant by threads, there.

gdog441
04-08-2004, 03:25 PM
There are no scratches in the barrel. I just put in a new ball detent like 2 weeks ago, and it did not fix the problem.

Plazmic
04-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Well, all I can think of other than the barrel would be something blocking the airflow on one side of the bolt. Check your foamy or bolt tip. Pull the bolt and make sure there is no damage or any blockage or anything. I've never actually seen this happen, mind you, but I can't think of anything else.

You might consider picking up a cheap used barrel from Ebay or in the classifieds section here so you can test whether it is the barrel or not. It's always good to have a backup barrel anyway.

gdog441
04-08-2004, 10:05 PM
I will try a different barrel and let you know. My friend has a carbon fiber barrel, and I can if I can use this guys boomstick. I will let you know on the results.