PDA

View Full Version : Will (decent) paint prices ever fall?

Zumina
04-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Honestly. Gun, clothing, accessory, and host of other prices have fallen CONSIDERABLY in the past 4 years. Yet decent paint prices remain the same, despite the entry of dozens of new producers.

Brophog
04-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Nope.

Your only making 10-15% on most of the markers as it is. If paint were to go down, the prices of the other stuff would have to go up for any business to survive.

tony3
04-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Paint really isn't that expensive anymore. I mean, you can get seconds for 30 bucks a box. That is really cheap, thats like 1.5 cents a ball, thats insanely low, back in the day what was it, a quarter a ball? This old field by me had an old sign of prices, 4 10 rd. tubes, a rental, and lunch was 30 bucks, and this was back in the late 80's, early 90's.

hAppy
04-05-2004, 11:16 PM
are these second boxes good enough to use?
and where do you find these?

NoFearPaintballer
04-05-2004, 11:30 PM
i think everything will rise in price once paintball gets flooded well maybe not crappy stuff but stuff like good paint (evil) good guns (mags trix) will rise but timmys and angels will decrease only because of the mass production then they will have their downfall and somehting else will come to rise. but with te SP patent things should stay where they are

abrewin450
04-05-2004, 11:33 PM
I use Zap Rec Ball from an Academy store near me. It isnt great paint, but it shoots and doesn't chop easily and that is perfect for the way I play. It costs me $30 a case and that will sometimes last me for two weekends. So thats only 15 dollars a week for paint and for me its only like 3 dollars for air fills off of our scubas. Sometimes you will get bad bags of paint, but the people at Academy are nice enough to let me open the boxes and examine the paint before I buy a case. I've also tried a bulk paint special from www.firstcallpaintball.com and that paint worked well for me. I got four cases originally and then 2 cases were busted so they sent me 2 more cases. I cleaned the busted paint and ended up with 6 cases for like $120. So what Im trying to say is that if you are cheap like me, then there are definately ways to play paintball while keeping your budget in mind.

Skoad
04-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Store back home has paint that they call "Stinger." It came in an RPS box. A friend and I shot it this weekend me with my dm4 and him with his cocker. Worked great and was only $40 a case.

RetroEclipseMan
04-05-2004, 11:46 PM
Paint prices have dropped a lot since I first started playing like 5 years ago. I remember when people were paying over $120 a case for Marbalizer. Now you can find it for less than $60 a case.

Halliday
04-05-2004, 11:51 PM
Why would the paint prices go down? There are more and more people playing and buying paint.

Lohman446
04-06-2004, 06:14 AM
I am not complaining about current prices. It is still a relatively cheap hobby compared to some others.

However, paint prices will drop a bit more as we go. Colors went to field paint only, and dropped premium paint to $47 a case for one of the better Kick'n brand in a field paint color. For those that don't know what Kick'n is I would take it over any other paint I have tried recently (and for awhile I was shooting only marbs and evil).

Now, let me contradict myself, maybe it won't go down more but I expect to see it not rise more as inflation does.

tasker89
04-06-2004, 09:20 AM
The sport has to generate $$ to survive. Paint is WAY cheap nowadays...I remember working two and three jobs in high school so I could afford to play every weekend. You can buy 2 cases of quality paint for what us "old school" guys used to pay for half a case.

soccer4minimags
04-06-2004, 09:37 AM
I think its a problem in different regions of the country. yeah you can get paint cheap online but you always risk it not being fresh, breaking, etc. plus you have ot pay shipping on most sites. Now yes, some sites garuntee their paint, But thats not the point. If you ordered paint for the weekend and friday afternoon when it arrives and its broken that paint garuntee ani't going to mean jack.

The problem is paintball is more poplular in certain areas, so there is more competition between the fields so they have to lower paint prices, ex. california. But for example here, there isn't that many places, so they know people are willing to pay 60 plus a case just cause they really aren't going anywhere else if they want it that bad. They have found the market equilibrium right around that price. There isn't enough ballers to support more business, and they have the ones that are here in a hold.

trains are bad
04-06-2004, 09:44 AM
For those that don't know what Kick'n is I would take it over any other paint I have tried recently

We played a tourney at intense in canton a month or so ago and they had Kick'n, and the cheap grade of it was the best paint I've shot in a long time. Super brittle (breaks if you drop it) and fies straight.

magnj
04-06-2004, 09:47 AM
I ordered the Zap Seconds once and it was damn good for the thirty somehting dollars shipped that i paid. Good cheap paints: Viper, Whitebox, Bigball

RoadDawg
04-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by RetroEclipseMan
Paint prices have dropped a lot since I first started playing like 5 years ago. I remember when people were paying over $120 a case for Marbalizer. Now you can find it for less than $60 a case.

Unfortunatly some places are still that bad. Last time I played in Salt Lake City, UT it was around a $100 for a case of PMI premiums (field paint only). To me that is outrageous and I can see why the fields aren't bringing much in the way of money in. I for one don't see prices coming down cause that is the "money maker" item.

Raven4000SX
04-06-2004, 12:17 PM
The only thing that's expensive in Paintball is the paint itself. I spend at least $50 on a case everytime I play. Admission is only $20-$25 dollars. Air is free.

Spaceman613
04-06-2004, 12:23 PM
instead of complaining about high paint prices, why not shoot a little bit less and make your dollar go farther.

BlackHalo
04-06-2004, 01:17 PM
I hate all you guys :)

At my closest field, renters pay $200CAD for a case and owners pay $160CAD.

That's for whatever they get that week...recently Tork.

TheTramp
04-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Most of you guys quoting prices are talking about store bought (or internet) paint. I agree there that paint prices have come down a lot.

Once you get to a field however, it turns into a different story. These days I'm really happy if I can buy a case for $65 instead of $85-$100. There are NO fields in this area that sell paint for $30-$40 and only one that I can think of that lets you BYOP.

magnj
04-06-2004, 01:28 PM
I only play at BYOP fields, but most of the fields here are byop. Which is great, i can usualy pic up a case for 35 from my local/ex sponsor

XbeasleyX
04-06-2004, 01:58 PM
I played last weekend and bought Predator(sp) 40/case and it was fine, no chops but they did have downfalls like bouncing off of my friends lens - not the mask but the actual hard plastic lens, that made me regret buying it.

Armed & Harmless
04-06-2004, 03:44 PM
its 60 a case for PMI Premium's here... i dont think i could ever bring myself to pay 100+ for a case.

TeamNausea
04-06-2004, 04:09 PM
For 44 i can get a case of bigball and i nean for that much it is great.

steveo356
04-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Prices fall because paint ball is growing... more poepl make balls guns ect more people get into it = more fields = price war = happy pbers spend next to nothing for a case of paint and a gun that might have costed 2000 a few years ago

Lohman446
04-06-2004, 09:17 PM
I pay $47 a case for it at the field and thats full price on it. This is good paint, seldom more than a week or two old and stored very very well. It is also gaurenteed, shooting poorly in your gun, trade it bag for bag for something else, got a broken bag, trade it in for another one. I know that my team and I have selected Kick'n for our choice of paint at Chicago Open and thanks to Colors Paintball Field and Kick'n paintballs will be getting a very good price on it.

RRfireblade
04-06-2004, 09:23 PM
As it's been stated,Paintball prices have dropped A TON in the last 10 years as the quality has gone up as a whole.

And you can not use Feild paint prices as an accurate gauge of paint prices due the profit margin required by fields to simply stay in business.It's either higher paint prices and lower feild/air prices or the other way around.

Annihilator44
04-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Bigball good paint and its like $42/case online...same with premium

Lohman446
04-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by RRfireblade
As it's been stated,Paintball prices have dropped A TON in the last 10 years as the quality has gone up as a whole.

And you can not use Feild paint prices as an accurate gauge of paint prices due the profit margin required by fields to simply stay in business.It's either higher paint prices and lower feild/air prices or the other way around.

$47 a case for paint, $10 entry includes all day air. Those both seem reasonable enough to me :)

toolfan62
04-06-2004, 10:14 PM
WOW...i can get evil for like 50 a case at my local store..blaze is like 40 a case and PMI premium os like 30 a case..and my local field charges 10 entry and 10 for all day air..i feel bad for u guys:p

riooso
04-06-2004, 10:19 PM
I pay $45 for inferno. That is a very fair price if you ask me.

R

RRfireblade
04-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Lohman446

$47 a case for paint, $10 entry includes all day air. Those both seem reasonable enough to me :)

Me too.;)

LudavicoSoldier
04-07-2004, 10:36 AM
I pay $40 for Blaze, which shoots awsome in my ULE mag. I really hate fields that are FPO, and jack their prices sky high just because they can. P&L Paintball in Avon, MA is a perfect example. They move SO MUCH paint (they are a regional distributor of many items), yet a case of Colors still costs $100 at their fields. WTF is that!?

Zumina
04-08-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by spleefstylez
yet a case of Colors still costs $100 at their fields. WTF is that!?

A pain I know all too well. When my brothers and I played there we bought 500 rounds of their crap and snuck a full case in.

$40 for a case of quality paint is a great deal. On the other hand, I can get a case of Big Ball (crap, IMHO) for $28.

TeamNausea
04-08-2004, 08:06 PM
I would kill for a case of bigball for 28...:(

Annihilator44
04-08-2004, 08:09 PM
ME 2...bigball $28 omg...my store "Dropzone Extreme Sports" is a monopoly cause there is no other place in town. Bigball is like $60 there, but I buy off the internet anyways so not a huge deal.

TeamNausea
04-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Lol well, I have to drop 45-55 on it and i must say i like it but it's not that great. But that's the cheapest paint round here so i eat it up:D

the_next_guy_
04-08-2004, 09:05 PM
I think someone will come up with a more efficient way of manufacturing paintballs and the prices will drop. Someone brought up on another thread that paint could be manufactured like M&Ms: the fill is poured into a mold and frozen into a sphere, and the outside is sprayed on. If a process like this could drop paint prices, paintball would be cheaper as a whole and gain popularity at a faster pace.

TeamNausea
04-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Bu tthe colors arent sprayed on the outside.

elpimpo
04-08-2004, 09:39 PM
i pay 20 a case for ultra evil. damn them making me pay so much

TeamNausea
04-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Either a sponsor or your like in the mafia...:D

elpimpo
04-08-2004, 10:35 PM
oh man ur fully one of my favorite people on this forum, just cause u sigged me

Barfly
04-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by RetroEclipseMan

those must have been field paint prices, because I bought marbs back then with the old style shiny shell for around $60 online.

TeamNausea
04-08-2004, 11:48 PM
elpimp lol when i read that post i had to sig it...:cool:

elpimpo
04-09-2004, 04:55 PM
:D

Digits
04-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by BlackHalo
I hate all you guys :)

At my closest field, renters pay $200CAD for a case and owners pay $160CAD.

That's for whatever they get that week...recently Tork.

wow.. i only pay like 75-80 a case for practices, and 100 a case for tournies, which is always field paint only here.. But it's not bad, because that is also Canadian prices..

Where do you lik though BlackHalo? In BC?

SpongeBobSquarePants
04-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Paint not bad at all anymore. I pay $45 a case for Inferno, and 27-33 for brands such as Zap primer, Mid-Evil, etc. I have no problem with paint prices. If you looking for paint to become under 60 dollars a case for inferno for your average every day walk on, it will never happen. Paint is what keeps a store in business.

elpimpo
04-09-2004, 09:34 PM
and thats why its great to be a good tourney balla

TeamNausea
04-09-2004, 11:14 PM
Hmm I guess i'll still have to work on the "good" Tourney balla.;)

Dern
04-10-2004, 01:59 AM
Indoor place nearby charges 90 a case and like 30 for admission or something... its crazy...

However, I go to Weekend Warriors (outdoor and much more fun) and its only 55 for Diablo Heat