PDA

View Full Version : Jerseys or No Jerseys?

digitard
04-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Again... taken from the site at:
http://www.celebritypaintball.com

What will the jerseys be like?

We are considering not going with jerseys this year to cut back the cost of entry. If you think that’s a good or bad idea, please comment in the Shatnerball III “talk” forum. We are also discussing different commemorative items for this event.

While I EASILY see the point in this, because afterall the more people you can get out there the better it will be. I think part of the fun is having a team full of jerseys all running around and something to take home and remember. Plus it easily allowed teams to be seperated and not confused by arm bands/etc. This is a BIG plus when you have 2000 paintballers split in half.

I for one would like to see Jerseys in again. The extra $ is worth it. Maybe this time allow the option and anyone who pre-orders can select "JERSEY" as an option, and by gauging the preorder amount pick up appropriate extra's for DAY OF EVENT changes.

So vote! Remember, it will be a price increase from the $75 for a jersey ... so is it worth it to you??

mikebridge
04-06-2004, 02:20 PM
i'd prefer to keep the price down so we can get more people out there, but the additional 'checkbox' entry on pre-registration forms for something like 'charity/jersey donation' for additional $$ would be cool, to please both crowds.

deathstalker
04-06-2004, 02:21 PM
I think jersey's are a must! I would be willing to pay extra for it and could not care less if the registration fee was $100 (I do have a limit, but I haven't decided what it is yet:)). I think with this much notice, people can save/pony up the extra cash.

I think the jerseys make this event that much more special than any other big/scenario game and they're integral to ensuring this event is produced with such high quality as it has in the past.

digitard
04-06-2004, 02:23 PM
I agree. Watching the original SPPLAT dvd last night you see this SWARM of Red Jerseys rushing over the hill at the end. I dont think it'd be the same with 5 yellow, 40, blue, 35 green, etc. The jerseys bring a bond to your team, and it helps us lazy eye people determine who's who.

I really would like to see the checkbox idea too.

I'll even chip in an extra jersey for someone who cant afford one maybe at the event and so forth. Maybe if you also have the option of ordering extra a few people here/there could pick up an extra jersey and donate it to those who cant afford to get out there with the extra 35 bucks or whatever.

spantol
04-06-2004, 02:35 PM
It just wouldn't be ShatnerBall without everyone wearing easily-identifiable jerseys.

chairman_mao
04-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Werd booty you gots to have jerseys or it'll just be one giant CF

tony3
04-06-2004, 03:32 PM
I don't think we should have jerseys, but something else that is cheaper to keep costs down, but something that can easily designate the team your on. How about some type of mob related clothing? Or something like that. I wouldn't mind just a t-shirt, just so when I'm out in the woods, I'm not lighting up my own team.

digitard
04-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Even Tshirts would work.

Just something to show each team visably from any angle (so that if I'm on your right side and dont see your left armband I dont get ganked and so forth).

Glickman
04-06-2004, 04:33 PM
noooooooooo! Well, youve gotta have something that makes it VERY EASY to tell each person from another, i noticed very, very, little, if any friendlyfire at shatnerball II (i really think this year should be Kayeball III) But i think we really need some sort of easily distinquishable jersey or shirt, of that sort.

AutomagRT1483
04-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Jerseys definately.

kevdupuis
04-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Need jersey's, they really make the game.

I was thinking a med grey pinstripe jersey for one side and either a dark green or gold pinstripe for the other.
Gotta have pinstripes with mobsters, I already have a fedora to go with it. :D

shivors
04-06-2004, 07:15 PM
MUST HAVE JERSEYS!!!

If they dont have jerseys made I can whip up a little something like I did for my online squad...

http://www.cafeshops.com/sfsgaming.4418385

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
I vote for some cheap t-shirts, they wouldn't cost more than 10 dollars each, and it would still make everyone identifiable.

Armbands are bad though seeing as how its a pain to identify

digitard
04-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah, you could put the team names on the front and "hired thug" and things on them randomly..lol.

Just make the color schemes identifyable. Thatd save like 25 dollars per piece.

deathstalker
04-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Sorry, but if you need to up the price to pay for t-shirts or baseball jerseys, I'd much rather pay more and get a 'real' paintball jersey.

When you break down the price of playing in the previous Shatnerballs, the price you actually paid for a jersey is probably no more than half the price of your average retail jersey. It's a bargain that does so much to help you get into the spirit of the game. It really helps Shatnerball stand apart from the other scenarios.

spantol
04-06-2004, 09:48 PM
From CelebrityPaintball.com:

How important is this for the sport of paintball?

REALLY, REALLY important! For years we have been trying to convince the general public that paintball is a safe, fun sport. Now, a huge Hollywood star has stepped up and put his reputation on the line to support the players and the industry. <snip>

IMHO, cutting corners in such a fashion would seem to undermine the event's significance. I'd urge the powers that be to consider how this will look to those that aren't able to make it, and who will judge the event based on the scores of pictures that will be posted/published. Compared to the last two events, this one will appear to lack polish, which will affect the public's attitude going into next year's event.

ffs1942
04-06-2004, 11:50 PM
even 2x-3xLG T shirts with a design are better than nothing. A long sleeve T might be cheap and eliminate hot undergarments, but I wonder how it would tolerate crawling around.I wonder if a PB jersey maker wouldn't sponsor this.

Tina
04-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Personally, I don't need a jersey. In fact, it will mess up my costume! :D I plan on making some type of mobster attire and I wouldn't want a jersey to hide it. I think an arm band would be appropriate.

Glickman
04-07-2004, 08:34 AM
yea but then, how easy is it to distinquish each person from another? u gonna go up to them and check their armband, cause their arm is in some thick weeds? jerseys just make everything so much easier, and makes it look alot more organized too!

Tina
04-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Glickman
yea but then, how easy is it to distinquish each person from another? u gonna go up to them and check their armband, cause their arm is in some thick weeds? jerseys just make everything so much easier, and makes it look alot more organized too!

I don't think that will be a problem, really. You'll be able to see the color of the armband. If their in thick weeds what makes to think you'd be able to see the color of their jersey?

SuperDanny
04-07-2004, 09:08 AM
You gotta have the shirts! That's one of the points of Shatnerball. Make it more like Cops & Mobsters. Tom K are you willing to play a Cop? (Sort of reversal of roles.) Shatner can still play a mobster. I'm thinking "A Piece of the Action" episode here.

ffs1942
04-07-2004, 09:49 AM
I've considered a costume, maybe pick up an old suit at my Dad's house in Naperville, but even if I can, it would be hot, impractical and not go with my LBE.
I'd like to see a jersey or printed long sleeve T for $25-no more than $50.
Armbands are OK for most scenarios, but this one is special.

chairman_mao
04-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Yeah if you make the jerseys costum like it will offer those who have a costum the oportunity to take the jersey as a souvenir. This would work especially well if it was Cops v Mobsters. That way the costumers will have very distiguishable looks and there will be no accidental blasting. Personally I know I tend to shoot first and ask questions later when it comes to questioning what color someones armband is. That's just my opinion

spantol
04-07-2004, 10:15 AM
Exactly!

Originally posted by ffs1942

Armbands are OK for most scenarios, but this one is special.

pwalley
04-07-2004, 11:07 AM
I’m probable the only one on the board coming from a Trek background, I played in the original scenario, I came for the sole reason of playing with Bill; I know of many people who were scared to death that still came to be a part of “History”. Now for the point, you will have people from the sci-fi background come just to wear that team jersey and then get it signed by Bill, I’ve seen people standing in line over a year later sometimes paying $80 extra just to get that signature.

abunkerer
04-07-2004, 02:08 PM
There has to be 2 easily identifiable long sleeve shirts or jerseys. It is important to be able to tell who is who when this many people are playing. I've played in scenario games before and people walk in groups and when they see someone they all start shooting at once if they can't identify them as being on their side or not. People were getting overshot really bad because of this.

Plus it gives an overall better look to the game, and you get to go home with something besides welts.

jerseys!

shivors
04-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Hmmm....maybe the Godfathers...

http://www.libertees.com/tuxedotshirtx.html

versus

The Mobstas...

http://www.mobwearclothing.com/photos/c5detail.jpg

These are like 15.00 plus tax.

Meph
04-07-2004, 05:13 PM
It depends, I mean this IS a Mobster theme.

What looks better at a Wedding a real Tuxedo..... or the Tuxedo T-Shirt? Don't you think people notice?

I mean sure it can be done, but if each jersey raises the cost $75 bucks then I'd say forget it because the company they are using are screwing them. Considering the custom jersey companies currently already out like CSG and AP making one-of-a-kind items for but 65 bucks. If the production shot up from 1 or 4 suddenly to about 2000 jerseys. I have a feeling them buying in bulk will cut the costs a little!

However I would have to simply guess that if it was 75 for the jersey that quite a bit of that went to the charity.

As previously mentioned, the check-box item for people being able to chose is a nice concept. People can chose to dress up in actual suits, their own usual garb, or buy an event Jersey.

I'm not that picky myself, I'd actually like to dress up in full Mobster garb via Salvation Army style! But if this is an event-jersey thing I won't be crying over spilt milk. Can't really lose either way as long as if there isn't jerseys that there's arm-tape.

Rebel46_99
04-08-2004, 11:19 AM
pwalley....

There are more than just a couple of us here who have a "Trek background". Tina, Tyger, TDH, TDS and myself just to name a few. I have been attending ST conventions since the mid 70's. I will admit that my first PB experience was exactly one week before SPPLAT I and the main reason I was there was because of Bill. However, since that time, PB has become a near obsession around my house. Even to the point of going from a Tippmann 98, straight to an X-Mag (see my sig). Fortunately, I have a VERY understanding wife! :D

AND, don't make the mistake of leading others to believe that Bill will be available to sign jerseys, other than at an organized convention or special event expressly for that purpose at the game. One of the AO members, Star_Base, to be exact, somehow thought that just being at the event would allow personal contact and access to Mr. Shatner. Just ask some of the others here or do a search to see what problems that lead to. Trust me.... Bill's time is very closely coordinated.

DW

Tyger
04-08-2004, 02:20 PM
I admit I like the jerseys. Playing with the Borg year 1 I had an "ultra-cool" moment when moving with 50 guys all in the same jerseys. There is a team identity, yes, but it's also REALLY cool when there's a swarming of people.

That all being said, I'll play even if they don't do jereys. It's all good, I'll wear my own stuff. Heck, I've got enough stuff here I think I can squeak out something.

-Tyger

deathstalker
04-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Squeak???

Are you planning on going as a rat-fink bastich? ;)

Tyger
04-08-2004, 03:23 PM
I don't do mice.

Disney would sue my tail off.

-Tyger

deathstalker
04-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I never said "mouse," yew doity rat. Dere's a lotta dem rats in da mob, so mebbe yew could work dat in to yer costume.

Tyger
04-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Mouse, Rat, it's all lower on the food chain in the end.

*squick*

-Tyg

Fred
04-08-2004, 09:08 PM
if the event is gonna be recorded and have a movie made from it, the jersies are a necessity... otherwise the footage will be of two teams that the uneducated viewer will not be able to tell apart...

of course, it would rock to have all of us out there in our AO Jersies... :)

I think its worth the extra entry fee for the jersey.

---Fred

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
04-09-2004, 12:03 AM
depends, how much extra would we have to pay for the jersey? if it's like $20 extra than i wouldn't mind.

mancow24
04-09-2004, 07:49 AM
I like the idea of giving the people the ability of cheacking a box to pay more for a jersey.I personaly have the jersey from the first spplat attack and it is a very special momento.So yes to having jersey's!!

mancow24
04-09-2004, 07:54 AM
vote yes for jersey's

digitard
04-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Since it is a "mob" routine the jerseys could be pretty simple.

Just one team has a dark black jersey, and the other a dark blue jersey. Both with team names, and some type of logo/etc that makes it easily distinguishable from a distance.

I'd pay for it definitaly.

abunkerer
04-09-2004, 02:15 PM
If they do or don't have jerseys people should still be required to wear the color that represents their "team". the team colors should be announced early so that people can plan accordingly. but an optional jersey should be offered.
I'd like a jersey autographed by Tk, mancow and the Shat, that would be cool.

ffs1942
04-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Is that really you Cow you sonafa*****?

You rocked at SA1!

shivors
04-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Having jerseys is what really set these scenario games aprat from the rest. While costing 100.00 does limit the number of people willing to go, I think it is worth it.

NoFearPaintballer
04-09-2004, 11:01 PM
well the jersey idea is good but if they are going to charge 40$ for it i say no

vampyregirl
04-12-2004, 03:18 PM
I think jerseys are a must. They don't even have to be "fancy" this year. Just 2 different plain colors would be fine.

Armbands are a pain in the butt. They're ok for a small scenario game, but for that many people??? Nah

Plain jerseys should cost less also.

AGDlover
04-12-2004, 05:17 PM
i say we get jerseys with that many ppl runnin around and theres allways the lil sneky lil SOB that gets on the other team somehow:mad:

Weltman
04-12-2004, 07:24 PM
Iwould actually prefer a long sleeve T-shirt over a jersey. All things considered I think we should probably have something though.

ffs1942
04-12-2004, 11:54 PM
How are you in this discussion? You don't even WEAR a jersey?:p

Brian

matmc89
04-15-2004, 10:20 AM
YES to jerseys as long as there not bright colors . I think a painted on tux would be awsome especially for the mob theme.
lol just my opinion

weekend welder
04-15-2004, 08:29 PM
shatner2 was my first paintball senario game. the jeresy was the greatest idea ever. it was so easy to identitfy you're own team and the other. after that a local field in ohio next to my house had a senario game it stinked they gave this little piece of colored velcro to go around the neck of the hopper. people spent more time hollering out what team your on than shooting. so for shatnerball3 [the searh for mancow] KEEP THE JERESY.

deathstalker
04-15-2004, 08:47 PM
YES to jerseys as long as there not bright colors . I think a painted on tux would be awsome especially for the mob theme.
lol just my opinion
Mobsters don't wear tuxes! They do wear white on white, though. :eek:

ffs1942
04-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Back in the seventies, when I had 2 leisure suits, and hung out at the Spirit of '76 disco in Downers Grove IL, they used to make printed long sleeve T's with tuxes, ala Ratpack, or maybe suits printed on them. Like 100% natural polyester, I'm sure these can still be had and at less cost than a PB jersey.

shivors
04-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Threw these together for another thread thought I would spam it....

Just some random thoughts.... (these are just roughs of course)

http://12.217.123.182/images/mob.gif

http://12.217.123.182/images/cops.gif

Tina
04-17-2004, 08:53 AM
Why cops and mobsters? Why not two rival mobs?

shivors
04-17-2004, 10:12 AM
I just figured it would be easier for jersey design...story developement...ease of prop ideas etc. etc.

More of a clear cut scenario...good versus evil kinda mumbo jumbo.

Mighty Wingman
04-22-2004, 02:41 PM
I can't believe the jerseys HAVE to be so expensive. Maybe there are some new jersey manufacturers out there that would like to get noticed and could cut us a deal?

I definitely agree we really need jerseys though.

toomuchnos
06-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Jerseys are a must because if you get a big group of people on one team with armbands and no armbands, they can be easily not seen and what happens if the armbands fall off in the middle of the game and you are surrounded by armbands you are screwed you will come off the field looking like a lepard because of friendly fire.

So yes I do think we should have jerseys.

Cilio- Knightmare Tango
06-13-2004, 09:27 PM
We'd like to be able to play in our own choice of clothing instead of wearing a once piece holloween costume.

jayloo
06-18-2004, 09:14 PM
I'd prefer jerseys. Its a team thing :)

Glickman
06-20-2004, 10:46 PM
it would be too hellish and too much friendly fire if everyone wore what they wanted and still had armbands,(how you gonna see them from far away in while in brush?)

i think that we should talk to custom sport gear about sponsoring the event so we get discounted jersies, and they get alot of advertisement....

everyone wins :)

TDonovan
07-12-2004, 01:14 PM
I think some type of uniform or jersey would be a great idea. Even if it's a tshirt or something. I'm just sick of getting shot by my own team even while pointing to my armband.

Plus I think it'd look pretty cool.

Wickster
08-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Yes to jerseys.

There were a really neat feature of Shatnerball2.
I just got my jersey from that game out and it does have some advertising on it- AGD, Splatt, National P-Ball, and PJ on both sleeves, and the front (small logos though). I assume that other sponsors could be added to jerseys to bring the cost down further.

I also hate trying to see colored armbands to see what team someone is on... I am partially colorblind (as is about 7% of all men). :cool: If you have 2000 men at a game, that is about 140 of them that can't see colors well- jerseys is much easier when differentiating the team.

PirateGent
08-07-2004, 10:12 PM
How can you not have Jerseys?!?

That is one of the best angles Shatnerball has over all the other games.

Concrete
08-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Jerseys are g a y. I never understood how paintball adopted moto-cross jerseys. I was introduced to the sport when it was played in the woods (My first gun was a Splatmaster LOL). And now its played in tiny fields where people hide behind inflatable bright colored life rafts LMFAO! I know its easier to identify people with the jerseys (I personally DONT want to be that easily identified) but this is Scenarioball not a Speedball touney. We are in the woods, mostly, and not on a Speedball field, so why not do amrbands like every other scenario game? Or bands tied to the hoppers? This way the Milsim guys are happy and can wear their cammo and the Speedball guys can buy a jersey if they want (personally I dont want to pay for a jersey). Oh yea, and what about the guys in the Ghillie suits????? How funny would it be to see a guy in a Ghillie suit wearing a bright a$$ red BMX bike jersey?? And - If you are that unorganized that you are shooting at your own team - you need to pay closer attention to your unit's movements (communication = radio!!!) and learn to be more of a "team player". If you are out there and you dont tell people where you intend to go - be prepared to catch some frendly fire.

PirateGent
08-25-2004, 06:27 AM
Jerseys are g a y. I never understood how paintball adopted moto-cross jerseys. I was introduced to the sport when it was played in the woods (My first gun was a Splatmaster LOL).

I understand where your coming from (ie using jerseys). I normally wear German Flecktar camos when I play normally. The Jerseys are a "gimick" that make the Shatner game stand out from the rest.

(personally I dont want to pay for a jersey).

And I'm sure MXS will tell you - you are not required to get a jersey for this game - you will however have to wear the t-shirt they are giving out for the teams.

And personally - I've played both styles of scenario games - with Jerseys and with armtapes. Personally I found the games with the Jerseys lent itself to better team unity. Unless you know all 250+ people on your team when you play. :-)

As always that's just my opinion and your milage may vary.

Edward Tunis

Concrete
09-01-2004, 04:26 AM
:dance:

Concrete
09-01-2004, 04:27 AM
Point taken. I just think they look kinda cheesy

matmc89
09-01-2004, 05:53 PM
too late for that