PDA

View Full Version : Any NJ AOers interested in driving or training it out?

1stdeadeye
04-06-2004, 09:03 PM
I am not big on flying, so I would rather drive or take the train out. I am not going to go alone though, so anyone else up for the trip?

I was thinking we could rent a Suburban again or go all out and rent an RV for the trip. Basically consolidate the hotel and travel bill into one.

Newt?
Mango(nee Spraying)?
Dayspring?
Tuna?
Anyone?

xTinkt
04-07-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm in Northern Maryland, I'd be interested in joining up to head out.

Blazingace
04-09-2004, 03:19 PM
I would like to go. I don't know where or when it is at. I am down for driving or training out there.

govnamac
05-03-2004, 09:26 PM
I might be interested in that. I have to see if I can get off work. The RNC being in NY is really messing up any plans I have for August.

DementedChild
05-03-2004, 09:31 PM
im interested but when is it?

Thordic
05-04-2004, 01:14 PM
After driving out the first time theres no way in hell I'd drive it again :) If I end up going, Im flying. Good luck! :D

DementedChild
05-10-2004, 02:41 AM
dude you should drive it would be a trip you wont forget it would be worth the drive for the experance, 1st im willing to drive up wit ya

Thordic
05-18-2004, 10:49 AM
I'll never forget the trip I made with mango, riotz, and spacemanspiff :)

We drove all night and only lots of red bull kept us alive.

DementedChild
05-20-2004, 06:26 PM
thats life right there

Hasty8
06-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I highly urge all in the Greater Tri-State Area (NY, NJ & PA) to NOT use Amtrak as the travel time is insanely long. :tard:

To travel to Chicago from Penn Station, for example, the train leave Penn at 12:15PM on Sept 4th and arrives in Chicago at 7:45 AM on the 5th! If you live in Jersey you have to take a train to Penn station first and then the huge ride out! Amtrak gives estimates of about 20 hours but when I took it out to Chi from Penn for the first Sball it took us 28 hours going there and 32 hours coming back plus, on the way back the train was stopped and searched because the INS thought there were illegals on board!!!! :mad:

Here are the times that I got from the Amtrack site:
Outbound - Departing Pennsylvania station on September 4 @ 12:15PM and arriving at the Chicago Terminus on September 5 @ 7:45PM.

Return trip - Departing Chicago on September 5 @ 10:30 PM and arrive back at Penn Station on September 6th @ 8:10 PM!

With these times I'm not even sure if you can make it out to the field and back in time! And I mean just a quick "Hey, look at the field! Cool! Uh-oh! We gotta go now! Bye!"

Now, rail fare in reserved coach for the trip is $162. Unfortunately this does not include the dining car which you can either pay additional for or bring some snacks along.

Should you choose to add accommodations (insert maniacial laugh here) as I did (insert laugh of insanity here) the cost skyrockets to an unbelievable $766.00 and this is for just about the cheapest sleeper they got, which is what my brother and I shared on our trip.

Two seats facing each other that convert into a bed and night and an upper berth that drops from the ceiling for a second bed. The crapper is RIGHT IN THE FREAKING CABIN and has all the holding capacity of a thimble. :tard:

Keep in mind that the above prices are for a single person. For each additional person you add the rail fare of $162 and they only allow two adults in the cheap sleepers and to be honest, the quality of the food in the dining car was sub-par to the best homeless soup kitchens. :cuss:

Now, all my grievances having been aired, I must add that this was my frist trip by rail (other than commutes into the city or out to the island) and I have to say that it was a total hoot! I meet some fantastic people on the train including a group of female rugby players from Ireland. Not surprisingly, I found them in the drinking car.

It was truly magical watching all the different communitites fly by from the window of my sleeper car, whether in my chair or in the upper berth (which I only slept in on the way out. It's was scary as heck because there was a large gap between one side of the berth and it's accompanying wall. Even with the webbing buckles in place I just could not sleep well so I forced my younger brother up there on the return trip). :nono:

I highly recommend that everyone take an extended rail trip at least once in their life. Get to your nearest major train station, pick a spot on the map that is at least three states away and buy a ticket. Make sure that you can get on and off (preferrably while the train is stopped) so you can see all the cute :dance: and not-so-cute towns :shooting: along the way.

Moral of the story? If you have the time, take it. You will need to leave early on Thursday the latest if you plan to play at all on Friday and if you leave late Sunday you will not return home until late Monday.

PirateGent
08-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Me and my two friends are renting and driving out. We figured it's easier on the equipment and if you fly into O'hare you're going to need a car anyway....

(unless someone is offering a shuttle bus service to the hotel and field :rofl:

Figure it should take us about 16-18 hours driving time (ugh)

At least the Route 80 West ramp is only 2 minutes away from my house...

Edward Tunis