PDA

View Full Version : Something of a rant...

Burphel
04-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Am I the only one who gets annoyed by posts asking if and/or why there aren't any scenarios within an hour's drive of a person's home? Granted, I'm a bachelor and can get away with devoting a fair amount of money to paintball and travel, but I just don't get why people aren't willing to pony up a couple tanks of gas (even at today's prices) and some food money to make it to a game that they know is going to be a lot of fun. Hell, I live in Washington state and my local airport only runs prop planes, and I've made it to games as far out as EMR and Ft. Meyers and considered it money well spent. The closest MXS game this year is a 12hr drive away, and you better believe I'll make it, just like I have for the last 4 there. I can see some hesitation if you're talking about a game from an unknown producer or field, but when you're talking about one of the biggies, you can be reasonably sure that your travel money won't be wasted.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you think you'll save money by staying close to home and going to 'Bubbas Paintball First Annual Scenario Game', you're taking your chances. If you want to spend your money wisely, pony up a bit more cash and make the trip to a game by MXS or another well-known scenario promoter. You'll be glad you did. It can be as big a difference as buying your paintball gear at Wal-mart and the AGD store.

Oh, and how about a game in the Northwest US?

Meph
04-09-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Burph, I'm a traveling fool as well. It's hard to want a game only 30minutes away myself, I want them far away oddly enough.

Basically not meaning I want them 3000 miles apart each time, but just different fields. I don't like to play only 1 field over and over, I enjoy the travel and enjoy the variety. Besides paintball is one of my few methods of escapism from reality, I don't mind traveling far because it gives me more time to stay away!

Jeffy-CanCon
04-16-2004, 03:46 PM
No Burphel, you're not the only one.

Not every place has enough of a paintball population to support a local big game, or a field capabale of pulling one off. And the big scenario producers are only going to go to places they know they make make money, too.

Travelling for a big game is not a chore, but a vacation, and an adventure! Last year I attended two local events (of about 100-150 people), and travelled 5-8hrs for four others. Every trip was great, and well worth it.

If a player doesn't want to travel for big games, they should work hard locally to build up the size of their paintball population, and help their local field owner develop the land and the organization to run bigger games. That's what we have been doing in Ottawa. It takes time, but in a couple more years we expect to be playing with 300+ people on 40 acres at our local field. And we'll still be driving for road trips!