PDA

View Full Version : -----What exactly happened to the Xmag and Emag??-----

phyregod
04-09-2004, 11:48 AM
I am wondering what happened to the Xmag and Emag. Why were they discontinued? Why is everyone who has good information on it so tight lipped? What the heck is going on AGD?? I was going to buy an Xmag sooner or later, as soon as production was cought up and funds would allow, but that is no longer an option. Please, this is not the Flame Smart parts thread, or the "I'll take a guess at it" thread.. I just want to know. Tom?? Anyone?? I love 'mags, and I like the company that is behind them. I feel that I deserve to know what is going on. I'm sure we all do.

shartley
04-09-2004, 11:59 AM
LOL No, this will not turn into a flame Smart Parts thread….. It MAY however turn into a “USE THE SEARCH BUTTON” thread. LOL

Scooter/Cootie
04-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Search is your friend.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126903&highlight=xmag+discontinued

phyregod
04-09-2004, 12:05 PM
I used the search button, I read untill my eyeballs started bleeding.. everyone makes guesses and assumptions and points fingers to smart parts.. Tom did say for sure that they are discontinued and they only have like 300 emags left. But NOONE says for sure WHY.

Fred
04-09-2004, 12:18 PM
because if they continued they would be sued by Smart Parts for patent infringement, and would most likely be forced to settle to pay a license fee for every Electronic marker they produce...

meaning the price would go up, and Smart parts would be making money off of every AGD marker...

So instead of bowing to SP, they're just going to avoid any hassle and continue with the mechanical markers, which are pretty sweet and shoot faster than a lot of electros anyway.

happy now?

shartley
04-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by phyregod
I used the search button, I read untill my eyeballs started bleeding.. everyone makes guesses and assumptions and points fingers to smart parts.. Tom did say for sure that they are discontinued and they only have like 300 emags left. But NOONE says for sure WHY.
Actually that is not true. Tom Kaye says exactly why....

Tom Kaye:
” Yes there is an announcement but we are not ready to talk about it at this time. We are NOT in any legal situation with Smart Parts. Go ahead and speculate all you want because if I told you not too you would anyway. It will all make sense in the end. “

And when pushed farther by folks Tom responded with this:

”I didn't answer because I am busy doing stuff tonight but I see that its going to cause a big ruckus if I dont.

Here is the short explanation. AGDE has taken a job to run the National Paintball Europe distribution center. They will still distribute our products but making bodies is not high on the list. They are machining the last of the extrusions so there will only be one more batch of about 50 xmags. Some people on the list will not get them, sorry I dont know what to say.

The Emag is going on 4 years old and is due for a complete revamp. We will be selling off the last of them (about 250) and discontinuing that product.

Now the bad news, with the current legal situations going on in paintball it is not strategicaly smart for us to invest in a new e-marker at this time. We are going to wait until the dust settles and see who comes out on top before we proceed with a new design.

We will work slowly on a new concept that will eliminate the large battery and charger, incorporate the ULT trigger system and completely new electronics. We don't expect to introduce this marker until 2005 if it makes sense to do so.

The point of all this is that we are making these decisions based on industry influences. Our customers have nothing to do with the products we do or don't develop these days. Think about it.

So, as you can see, this is a business decision that would have come about with, or without SP. And AGD is now looking to do what is best for them not only because of any SP issues, but because of other industry influences as well.

(and the is more posted by AGDE too... NONE of which really is caused BY SP, but other factors.... with a sprinkle of SP on top.)

Major Jam
04-09-2004, 12:27 PM
It's weird... when I ever I want to know the why on things I just read Tom K. posts. I pretty much ignore all other speculation. The information is in the forums, sometimes you have to search (harder).

I wouldn't let anything keep you from buying an Xmag if you want one. There are alot of used ones on these forums for sale for a good price.

And, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter why. I more excited about up coming markers from AGD. The Xmag had its day, it's time for something better (from AGD)!

Yes there is an announcement but we are not ready to talk about it at this time. We are NOT in any legal situation with Smart Parts. Go ahead and speculate all you want because if I told you not too you would anyway. It will all make sense in the end.

AGD

I didn't answer because I am busy doing stuff tonight but I see that its going to cause a big ruckus if I dont.

Here is the short explanation. AGDE has taken a job to run the National Paintball Europe distribution center. They will still distribute our products but making bodies is not high on the list. They are machining the last of the extrusions so there will only be one more batch of about 50 xmags. Some people on the list will not get them, sorry I dont know what to say.

The Emag is going on 4 years old and is due for a complete revamp. We will be selling off the last of them (about 250) and discontinuing that product.

Now the bad news, with the current legal situations going on in paintball it is not strategicaly smart for us to invest in a new e-marker at this time. We are going to wait until the dust settles and see who comes out on top before we proceed with a new design.

We will work slowly on a new concept that will eliminate the large battery and charger, incorporate the ULT trigger system and completely new electronics. We don't expect to introduce this marker until 2005 if it makes sense to do so.

The point of all this is that we are making these decisions based on industry influences. Our customers have nothing to do with the products we do or don't develop these days. Think about it.

AGD

Guys,
I am posting this due to the barage of phone calls, and e-mails that we have received, as a result of this thread.
Let me say very clearly that we, that's AGDE have not said that we will not, or do not want to make anymore X-Mag bodies. If AGD wanted to continue to place orders, then would be happy to fulfill them. From the beginning of this project, we offered to allow AGD to produce the bodies under license, there in the U.S., so that they would have more control, on supply & numbers.
We have a huge investment in the product, and have no intentions of stopping production, even if AGD discontinues the X-Mag. We have 2 CNC machines that we use to C&C the bodies in house, and we have always fulfilled AGD's orders.
We also did a lot of work on the ACE, and have only recently re-designed both the warp & centerfeed modules, and we are still looking to make further improvements.
I think that AGD has made this decision due to a number of factors, one of which is the very high exchange rate against our british pound at the moment, which is making the bodies expensive. However, I must reiterate, that we would have no objections to AGD producing them in the U.S., which would eliminate this problem.
We are just as sorry as you are that the X-Mag is being discontinued, as we have worked so hard over the last few years to get it to this stage.
We only designed & made the body in the first place to try to bring the E-mag up to the same level as the Angels etc,
and give it the C&C looks that everyone else was producing.
The modular design was included to help promote the warp, so you could connect up to the warp module without lots of ugly hose.
To dispell rumours, yes we have signed up with NPS, but this will not affect AGDE nor would it affect the production of X-Mag bodies if you guys still wanted them.
I think that Tom will agree that this decision is based on many factors, but the biggest is the current legal situation going on in paintball.

-John Sosta, AGD Europe

AGD edit: I agree with John here, the biggest factor driving this decision was weather or not to spend the money restocking inventory on an old product.

RE: Emag spare parts

Yes we are planning for a continued supply of spares.

AGD

RE: Xmag Availability

More than 300 left, expect them to be around for about 6 months or more if everyone thinks that we are not selling them.

AGD

phyregod
04-09-2004, 01:12 PM
I am humbled. Thank you.

JimmyBeam
04-09-2004, 01:15 PM
ok so that cleared up alot, ive seen the "use the search button" response alot so i didnt want to ask, but it makes sense now.

TeamNausea
04-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Yes,please this is like the 30000000000 ive seen.