PDA

View Full Version : your opinion on barrel kits

bokraham
04-09-2004, 05:12 PM
soon I will get a ule body so i feel like I should get a barrel kit. which one should I get and why?

lord1234
04-09-2004, 05:29 PM
heh, you didnt list the best one

Sanchez Machine makes a lot of those kits for the other companies....I carry sanchez machine barrels. very nice

www.sm1paintballbarrel.com is their website(yes i know its not the best, but they are working on it)

talk to me for info/pricing!

swanster
04-09-2004, 05:30 PM
the evil pipe is a VERY nice barrel kit. i would recomend it

but

the empie barrel kits are also VERY nice. i would also recomend it

the choice is yours though

bokraham
04-09-2004, 05:37 PM
the sm1 kit looks very very appealing. The only deterent is that the bore sizes are very small.

What I am really looking for is a kit that is really good shooting through breaks.

bokraham
04-09-2004, 05:43 PM
actually they only list the small bore choice on the products page, there is also a big bore set. For my taste the big bore set is too big. Do you think that it would be possible to get a medium bore set?
Also how well does it shoot through breaks?

If a moderator is reading this please put sm1 on the poll, since only mods can do that

swanster
04-09-2004, 05:44 PM
evil pipe shoots great through breaks. I think the empire barrel will too but i havn't shot one yet

acropilot19
04-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Pipe= Bad News:mad:

Kaner= Very Excellent:D

Had a pipe kit- it developed crackS running parallel through all four rows of vent holes at the tip. The metal is VERY thin there due to the angled vent holes.
:(
When I sent it in to be replaced, had to wait almost 3 MONTHS to get it back. I would call about once a week for status & talk to the same guy but he never had a clue & even after talking to him 4 times he still didnt know who tha hell I was. Customer service REALLY BLEW.
:mad:
Owned 2 Kaner Kits- they shoot as straight as the pipe & are built to last!
:cool:

Lord_Whoopass
04-09-2004, 06:58 PM
I vote Sanchez Machine's Barrel kit... Havent had any other kit compare to it... And I have owned pretty much all other barrel kits out there... Only Barrel that rivals it is the Stiffi but you got to get a paint match with the barrel...

phantomhitman
04-09-2004, 07:08 PM
i voted scepter. i jsut got mine in last week. got to test it out twice, great kit!! I love the looks of it, it is extremely light, and the price is fair.

Lohman446
04-09-2004, 07:13 PM
I think paint to barrel match is overrated unless yuor going to size your paint ball for ball as each batch will be different even from ball to ball

I used to have a ACI Phat Pro system, nice kit, worked as well as I expected it to, would do ok with breaks but not great...

I finally sold it, seems how I was using my zero gravity barrel all the time anyways, its .690 or .691 bore, and shoots clean wonderfully, I am not unhappy with its accuracy, though I am thinking of building a kit (.686, .689, .693) out of CP one pieces

WARPED1
04-09-2004, 09:20 PM
People might be anti-SP, but the freak is a damn fine barrel. Thier business practices suck, but the barrels/guns rule.

puckmaster
04-09-2004, 09:36 PM
longbow-just one barrel- Somewhat nice barrel, pretty heavy.

freak- My Vote for the best. Its very light, looks good, and i'm a fan of the indivisual sleeves.

kaner- I never owned one, but i did shoot one once, it was good, but nothing noticably better about it.

empire 7 piece- A close second in my opinion. Very classy, decently priced, functions great, and has a cool case.

pipe- They seem cheaply made. but They perfomed mediocer(sp)

phat pro-Never used it
scepter-Same as freak, except full length bore sleeves.

edge-Good quality at a great price. Its the cheapest priced,(www.paintball-discounters.com had it for 129, but i dont know if they still do.) But it works as good as other barrel kits, if not better.

On a seperate note, I wish all you people would stop bashing Smart Parts. If the courts enforce the patent then its legit, stop complaining, i'm tired of it. Altho its was dick to do it, it was a good buisness move. I'm not talking at any one specific.

FallNAngel
04-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by puckmaster
freak- My Vote for the best. Its very light, looks good, and i'm a fan of the indivisual sleeves.

pipe- They seem cheaply made. but They perfomed mediocer(sp)

scepter-Same as freak, except full length bore sleeves.

I've seen horrible mishapen sleeves for the Freak... like, one end of the sleeve is .686 and the other is .682. I've also heard good and bad things about the pipe... some people have problems, some don't.

Personally I went with the Scepter. The inserts are the size they're labeled and lock in place (instead of using o-rings to prevent movement).

Originally posted by puckmaster
If the courts enforce the patent then its legit, stop complaining, i'm tired of it.

Not really, so far everything that's happened has been settling out of court.

Top Secret
04-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Dye UL with .684, .688, and .692 backs. That's all you'll need. Looks awesome and the alignment from back to front is some of the best I've seen.

WARPED1
04-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by FallNAngel

I've seen horrible mishapen sleeves for the Freak... like, one end of the sleeve is .686 and the other is .682. I've also heard good and bad things about the pipe... some people have problems, some don't.

. Get the new stainless steel sleeves.:)

Enemy
04-09-2004, 10:01 PM
um i didnt vote for the fact that i havent any experience with kits... i did a similar thread like this one but i just used the freak and pipes. pipe won buy like 10 votes but in the thread i had a lot of nominations for the kaner and the cp.. personally i like the pipe or freak have used sp barrels before and never had a single problem heck my new barrel i found in the dirt 12 inch All American works butifully.

bokraham
04-09-2004, 10:18 PM
thanks for everyones advice. I think that I have narrowed it down to the SM-1, Kaner, Empire, and edge.
by the way the edge at paintball discounters is only 114.

Thanks everyone who has added there input.

Dern
04-09-2004, 10:29 PM
I think any barrel kit would probably work fine as long as you took good care of it. They are all basically the same thing, all seem to be pretty good at what they do. It comes down to price/looks in my opinion, thats why I voted pipe ( I like the fade style).

puckmaster
04-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Also, if the sleeves get messed up, you can buy a new one for 15 bucks.(dealer cost is even less.)

Raven4000SX
04-10-2004, 12:08 AM
Edge kit all the way. No inserts, just 4 backs and your choice of tips/lengths. Best value at around 115 dollars. For me I do it the old school way. I use 6 different barrels: 12" SP All American, 12" SP Boss Progressive, 8" SP Venturi, 11.5" ACI Zero Gravity, 8.5" Taso Eliminator, and 10" 2003 Dye Ultralite that I just got for $35 brand new ;) .(my favorite one) The Smart Parts barrels usually take bigger bore paint than the Taso and Dye (medium). The ACI I use for very large paint.

azza
04-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Id have to recomend a longbow, i couldnt be happier with mine. But then Ive never used any of the other barrel systems out there.

Cheers
Azza

Major Ho
04-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Shame on all of you. The CP barrel kit is hands down the best kit. The only possibly other good one but too new to review and consider is the Lapco kit. Its got one of the longest control bores, if not the longest control bore.

PzYcO
04-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Personally, ive had the freak kit for about a year now... and i keep telling my self i hate it and want a new barrel kit but never get around to getting one... theres that tiny issue called money :)

Recently i picked up some Dialbo Heat paint... and its too small even for the .679 insert!!! I know i shouldnt be chopping either.. but i do occasionlly with my emag... and when i do.. wow you cant shoot for anything! Time to get out the squeegee.

Raven4000SX
04-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by PzYcO
Personally, ive had the freak kit for about a year now... and i keep telling my self i hate it and want a new barrel kit but never get around to getting one... theres that tiny issue called money :)

Recently i picked up some Dialbo Heat paint... and its too small even for the .679 insert!!! I know i shouldnt be chopping either.. but i do occasionlly with my emag... and when i do.. wow you cant shoot for anything! Time to get out the squeegee.

Did you know there's a trick to making the paint a tad bit bigger? This I read on AO or APG I think. Place a cup of water in the center of your bag of paintballs and seal the bag up tight. Leave it on a table overnight, in the morning the size will increase just a little bit. No joke. First try it with just a few.

evilhomer
04-10-2004, 01:00 PM
If you're looking for a great price and good quality, go for the Kaner. Too bad we have to wait for the STO Kaners to come out now...

dwab3000
04-10-2004, 01:31 PM
poison arrow...
smoother than glass (http://smootherthanglass.com/)

pricey but the best

Meph
04-10-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm awaiting on my Lapco Snapshot barrel, and complete kits should be finished production in 6 weeks... or so.

www.LapcoPaintball.com I've always liked lapco's products, and have shot that Bigshot on my Tipp98 for however long I can remember owning a 98. If this Snapshot is anything like the Bigshot, I can imagine it'll be even better. Simply because it won't be as loud.

As for the kits you have mentioned in the poll. I'd vote Longbow or Scepter. Scepter if you want the whole kit now. Or Longbow if you don't mind saving up for future bore sizes, because that "hardbore" technology is great. Not so much for accuracy or such, but definately a durable sucker. You can play in the sand and it still won't scratch.

RoadDawg
04-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Kaner is the best kit IMO. The finish internally is mirror and is PERFECT. Plus the backs come in 4 sizes which are the main sizes that I use. 684, 687, 689, 691. Excellent barrel if you ask me.

the_next_guy_
04-11-2004, 01:01 AM
I love my CP. Its accurate, looks nice, and its CHEAP! I do also like the kaner kit, but the freak was not what I hoped it would be.

UltimatePaintballer
04-11-2004, 01:11 AM
get a scepter, very nice and comes in good colors. the pipe doesn't come in many colors and IM0 tis is very fugly

White_Noise
04-11-2004, 01:15 AM
sorry...i cant vote, cause youre missing the kit that id buy/have bought.

i have the macdev matchstik, very nice, good price, get the most popular bore sizes and 2 fronts. www.macdev.net

bokraham
04-11-2004, 10:08 AM
darn it stop adding barrel kits. I was really close to deciding and then you throw in the matchstick.
well now it's between the Kaner, edge, and matchstick

eric
04-11-2004, 11:26 AM
CP kit
Best kit ive ever used, looks cool too.

Carnage
04-11-2004, 01:06 PM
Get the kaner, low price, lenghts, and bores.

I had mine for about 3 months and it shoots darts.

ProX9
04-11-2004, 06:21 PM
I have one of the new lapco snapshots and they shoot very straight. They are also quieter than a scepter kit. I had both and the lapco is quieter and shoots starighter with the same paint. Both the scepters that I had, had these depressions in them in all the inserts near the end of them right before they go into the front. Definitely check out lapco barrels as an option.

RtDaNiMaL
04-12-2004, 12:31 AM
they all have there strengths and weekensess', but it is up 2 you 2 get witch one you like and is in your price range. i would go with the scepter

veedell26
04-12-2004, 01:31 AM
I have shot CP, Freak, J&J (not edge kit though my teammates have), and I now use the EVIL PIPE KIT! It kicks butt.

bokraham
04-12-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm looking at the kaner, but apperantly they stopped making them for the time being. Apperantly they are coming out with the STO kaner, which has longer backs. What does a longer back do, if anything?

FSU_Paintball
04-12-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm all about the scepter... 5" inserts that lock in place so they don't wiggle like other systems (freak), more durable than the freak, better tolerances than the freak, and a replaceable back in case you switch markers.

havoc531
04-12-2004, 08:03 PM
i'd go with the matchstik kit. it is an excellent value, and shoots great. it shoots clean real fast, too.

mikebridge
04-12-2004, 09:05 PM
equation bizerk pro (or multiswitch pro), 4" inserts, stainless steel coated in something slicker than teflon, and reasonably priced. its pwnage. www.equationusa.com

riooso
04-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Kaner shoot darts. I had a full freak kit and the thing that I hated worst was if you break a ball in the barrel you can't clean it all out unless you take it apart fully. The paint wicks in the groove of the sleeve. Shot the Freak a lot and the Kaner is a lot more accurate.

R

steveo356
04-13-2004, 09:11 AM
correct me if im wrong but the freak has the most bores but there weak and tend to get bend outta shape from small thngs but there are more bore sizes then most competetors(sp;-\)

i myself love my sm- g3 kit 5 bores simple design and it cheap

04-13-2004, 10:09 AM
One word : pipe

I have yet to shoot anything better than this...:D

PissedGodzilla
04-13-2004, 10:39 AM
For an alternate selection, I have had Nothing but great things to say about my barrel kit. It's 3A's Knockout Barrel Kit. The best I have ever used. www.3a-paintball.com

Give it a look i think you will be pleasantly surprised, especially with the price!

mikebridge
04-13-2004, 11:52 AM
equation's system comes close, with 7 inserts (and stainless steel, so they can take a beating) in sizes .681 .683 .685 .687 .689 .691 .693

xXmouthXx
04-13-2004, 12:41 PM
I think kits are overrated. When ever I match paint I end up with one to two barrel breaks a day. So now I just use the .691 insert and lose a little bit of efficiency.

bokraham
04-13-2004, 09:19 PM
wow I am really impressed with the price of the 3a knock out 10 piece. Its the same price as the edge but it has 5 more barrels. WOW
the only thing that I want to know is how well it shoots paint out.

Lohman446
04-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by xXmouthXx
I think kits are overrated. When ever I match paint I end up with one to two barrel breaks a day. So now I just use the .691 insert and lose a little bit of efficiency.

I agree, unless your sorting your balls by size, ball by ball, barrel ktis are going to cause you havok on that ever so often oversized ball. I don't care about Level 10 or your precious "15PSI operating pressure", if you try often enough to jam a .690 ball through a .686 barrel its gonna break. and if your sorting ball by ball, start weighing them out while your at it and you have way too much time. Shoot a large bore for your paint and sacrifice the minimal accuracy you will gain from as close to perfect fit as you can get