PDA

View Full Version : How much does AO cost?

deadeye9
04-09-2004, 05:43 PM
I was wondering how much (per month) it costs AGD to keep AO up and running. Is AO eating into Tom's profits? Or does it bring in new buyers? Do the moderators get paid? Should there be a user's fee to offset the cost?

Tron
04-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Well if they have unlimited bandwidth it wouldn't be to much. But if not the way they have the board set up, it's probably costing a ton.

AGD
04-09-2004, 06:40 PM
We think of it as our advertising budget. I think of it as my own personal AOrmy!

AGD

Tron
04-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by AGD
We think of it as our advertising budget. I think of it as my own personal AOrmy!

AGD

Translation to much. Glad you do it though.

RtDaNiMaL
04-09-2004, 07:46 PM
well said Tron

cphilip
04-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Yea. Thanks for AO Tom. Love ya man... mean it! :)

momags!
04-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Speaking of AO Army, are you (TK and CPhilip) still planning to attend the North/South scenario in Maryland next weekend?

mcveighr
04-09-2004, 07:59 PM
The Tech forum probably saves them alot of money in repairs as well.

cphilip
04-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by momags!
Speaking of AO Army, are you (TK and CPhilip) still planning to attend the North/South scenario in Maryland next weekend?

I was up until two weeks ago.... but... the kids overnight orientation visit to the Citadel was rescheduled to then. In Charelston SC. He... and we (parents) have to be there. It's the Pre Knob visit and it's the last one he can attend. They canceled the one we were supposed to be at and rescheduled it for that weekend. So we could not possibly make it up there in time.

I am pretty sure Tom said he was going right?

momags!
04-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

I was up until two weeks ago.... but... the kids overnight orientation visit to the Citadel was rescheduled to then. In Charelston SC. He... and we (parents) have to be there. It's the Pre Knob visit and it's the last one he can attend. They canceled the one we were supposed to be at and rescheduled it for that weekend. So we could not possibly make it up there in time.

I am pretty sure Tom said he was going right?

Ah, bummer. But, hey, the Citadel. You must be very proud. Have a good time. We'll be sure to fill you in.

Chronobreak
04-09-2004, 09:10 PM
TOM YOU SAY JUMP WE SAY HOW HIGH

yeahthatsme
04-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by mcveighr
The Tech forum probably saves them alot of money in repairs as well.

they make money on repairs, i'd bet...

jesseyo13
04-09-2004, 09:15 PM
If you want to save money on Bandwidth go to www.ipowerweb.com. For 7 bucks you get 40gigs of it.

Tron
04-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by jesseyo13
If you want to save money on Bandwidth go to www.ipowerweb.com. For 7 bucks you get 40gigs of it.

I just hosted a file for a guy on PBN and went through 8GB in a day. Plus he probably has a 10GB+ of stuff sitting on the server. For sites this big you need a colocation or a dedicated server they provide.

Cryer
04-09-2004, 09:22 PM
IDEA! (not mine) (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133156)

Tron
04-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Cryer
IDEA! (not mine) (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133156)

I would go off of Genmay.com structure. Not banning or putting people in the KC. But everything else they have is a pretty good idea. Paid for titles, smilies, stickies.

jayloo
04-09-2004, 09:48 PM
AO is sittin on a dedicated linus sever that could cost from $60 to $600.

Tron
04-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by jayloo
AO is sittin on a dedicated linus sever that could cost from $60 to $600.

Well they are running *nix but techpro doesn't list prices so can't help there.

darwin
04-09-2004, 10:44 PM
If you need any kind of hosting help let me know :)

if anyone needs hosting for that matter pm me

AGD
04-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Well FYI we do own a dedicated server and it cost thousands not hundreds. We serve up about 300 gig of info a month. You guys are voracious!

AGD

rkjunior303
04-09-2004, 11:08 PM
300 gigs?!! That's it?

;) Just kidding. That's a heck of a lot of bandwith. Basically 10gigs a day of TEXT and images. INSANE.

Fixion
04-09-2004, 11:16 PM
Half of its from me reloading the pages... :D

darwin
04-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by AGD
Well FYI we do own a dedicated server and it cost thousands not hundreds. We serve up about 300 gig of info a month. You guys are voracious!

AGD

Hey tom,

i can probably provide something at half the cost if your interested

cphilip
04-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by AGD
... We serve up about 300 gig of info a month...AGD

And half of that is just ME! :D

darwin
04-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by cphilip

And half of that is just ME! :D

i pull about a terabyte a month in just streamin an such

warbeak2099
04-10-2004, 08:42 AM
Well I for one am proud to be a part of the AOrmy! Speaking of army, what service branch is your son planning to go into from the Citadel Cphilip? I was looking at that as a possibility but heard that it was somewhat... well psychotic. I'm looking at the Naval Academy instead. How's he doing there, if he has started yet?

deadeye9
04-10-2004, 03:22 PM
The Citadel?
What about Clemson? He could live at home ...
wait, never mind. :)

cphilip
04-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Well I am not certain if he will end up going or not. He was gung ho on it early on but seems to have doubts lately. He did get accepted and we are going to do the knob visit anyway and keep it open as an option then he will have to decide sometime by early Summer. Funny thing is he never applied to Clemson and now it would be too late to do so. They fill up fast. But if he choses not to go to the Citadel then he will just have to do a semester at Tech in college transfer program and then get into Clemson. Thats easy enough to do and its easy to get in later when the Freshman class dwindles down. I wanted him to go to Clemson personaly all along. But it was his choice. And he did not want to at that time. And still is really an option. He can do whatever makes him happy.

I don't really know if he will go into the Service or not. He has wanted to but he also is very interested in Law Enforcement as well. Both could be portions of the thing. He most likely would go into the Air Force or Army I would guess if he wanted to do a stint. And the Citadel does have a Law Enforcement program as well. And the services need Law Enforcement/Polly Sci grads too.

So at this point he is as undecided as most Senior High School kids are at this stage. And we never did hear anything from Army ROTC about a scholarship. We know he was in the running for one at Clemson but so far they have not awarded any of them and he let his Math Grades slip so we not certain if he will get offered or not. So everything is up in the air really as to what he is going to do. But yet many options are open still.

dinger
04-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Tron

I would go off of Genmay.com structure. Not banning or putting people in the KC. But everything else they have is a pretty good idea. Paid for titles, smilies, stickies.
holy crap another Gen[M]ayer?? :eek:

got a [M] name??

also as for paying for titles... i made a thread while drunk and i got a title from a really, REALLY stupid thing i said :p
"sehtne i got dsome beer!!!!!!!! im 15/5 and drunnk as poof for first itme!!! rofl 6 beers, ][my sister says i had like 10!!} and im asboltelly poofed dUP THE BRAIN~!!!!"
edited for obscene content

Emily
04-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Phil
Enigma and I are trying to talk him into the Citadel.

cphilip
04-10-2004, 07:11 PM
You guys gonna help me come up with the 11 grand I need for the first year? :( (gulp)

I not even talking to him about it anymore. I just letting him think about it. We are going down to the visit anyway so that might help him decide. It is a tough way to go to school for four years. So I can understand if he choses not to do it. I mean personaly I wouldn't myself. But he can do whichever he decides as far as I am concerned.

personman
04-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Hmm, I know a guy who is going to citidel next year.. he's a great guy.. :)
:p

UltimatePaintballer
04-11-2004, 01:04 AM
asking how much they pay for this is like asking your aunt how much she weighs, she isn't gonna tell you and you might just get slapped! it just aint non of yo business, word to my agd dawgs up in da h00d, fo shizzie! < just showed a tourist how to soak corks;)