PDA

View Full Version : Safe 90-degree swivel elbows??

Cristobal
04-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know anything about the nickel swivel elbows that paintballgear.com sells? Are they nickel-plated steel, or just typical dangerous aluminum swivels in disguise?

see here: http://www.actionvillage.com/039-0035.html

Generally I'm a fan of ss lines because they're actually rated for the pressures experienced during paintball use. It would be nice, though, to find reliable swivel elbows. I stumbled upon these on pbgear after looking all through the MSC and McMaster catalogues (with no luck).

Tunaman
04-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Those elbows will work fine. They work great for getting the fitting off the valve enough to get a QD on there without hitting the valve or rail.;)

RtDaNiMaL
04-12-2004, 12:23 AM
they should work good 4 ya

AGD
04-12-2004, 12:30 AM
SAFE??? Hahahahahahahahahah.... LMAO....

AGD

puckmaster
04-12-2004, 12:31 AM
i used one on my e-mag for like a year, and had ZERO problems with it.

teufelhunden
04-12-2004, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

I'll go ahead and take that as a no.

lol

FreakBaller12
04-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by teufelhunden

I'll go ahead and take that as a no.

lol
but is any fitting/line out there have a working pressure for what we go up to on our guns?
macri/micro/steel braided/hardline?
i doubt it.

Muzikman
04-12-2004, 07:23 AM
I'm with Tom on this one. They are none rated fittings. I have seen way to many of them blow.

wyn1370
04-12-2004, 08:46 AM
I love using them. I have so many different marker configurations it makes it very easy to swap tanks and lines between them all.

I have fallen victim to having them blow on me. Turns out it was all due to one of my tanks. The reg on the tank was creeping, should have been putting out 450, but after every fill it would start creeping up to full tank pressure. Well needless to say every time it would hit above 1500 output, my elbows would blow. In hindsight it was nice that the elbow did blow. This helped not completely destroying my marker by way overpressurizing it. Now that the tanks fixed I haven't had an more issure with them.

Butterfingers
04-12-2004, 09:22 AM
They are nickel elbows. I have 2 of them they seem to work fine.

Cristobal
04-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Wow, I got a reply from THE MAN himself :D Reading between the lines, I'm going to take Tom's response as a NO. Of course from his recent posts, he seems to think a lot of what we do with compressed gas isn't safe ;)

Maybe I should qualify what I meant by "safe". From and engineering standpoint, of course, everything is relative and depends on what factor of safety you specify for an application. Take Parker Macroline for instance: a burst pressure of 2000 psi and a factor of safety or 4 (derived by whatever means) gives you a working Pressure of 500 psi. Technically, if you run 850 psi through it, that's not "safe". But then most people seem to consider that a factor of safety of about 3 is fine and run that pressure anyway, which empirically for paintball doesn't seem to be a problem. SS lines, by contrast typically have working pressure ratings of around 3000 psi, if I recall correctly -- which makes them comparatively "safe" for 850 psi.

In any case, whether its ss hose or macro its the unrated fittings that scare me. I've heard enough horror stories about aluminum 1/8" npt swivel elbows exploding, but it sounds like these elbows might be different -- and hopefully less prone to failure. I guess what I'm looking for is a pressure rating on them, or at least somebody who tested them like Kevmaster did for Tunaman's macro kits.

Stitch
04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
I have them on all 7 of my guns and have had for the last 5 or so years and never have had a bit of trouble with them.

MarkM
04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Muzikman
I'm with Tom on this one. They are none rated fittings. I have seen way to many of them blow.
Actually there are but you would have to personally import them. Go HERE (http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/vb/index.php?s=) join up and then look for the user name Tom Allen he does fittings that have been independantly tested to silly numbers comes as a set of a straight and an elbow with a length of Macroline again tested to silly numbers. Your normal Macroline WILL NOT fit these fittings so no mistakes can be made, if you have a curved sided regulator then he also does an adapter to allow the use of them, if you have an AIR or similar gas output then you don't need the adapter.

Beemer
04-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

He said SAFE, heh heh ...heh heh

Thanks Wizard, now I can skip therapy again. Thats another one on me.